• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 258
Posts: 258   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 30622 times and has 257 replies Next Thread
Shandra

Taco's Simple Squares: A Design Challenge [The Top Is Done!]

Yarrrrr!! Some of ye might not know this about me but I am a crafty pirate. I decided my next project will be a quilt. It took me some time to decide on the theme for it, when all along it was sitting right in front of my face! I want to make a Y!PP themed quilt. No, I haven't lost my mind (I never had one to begin with!) Anyway, I need help! I want you to help design my quilt. The quilt will have 24 squares so I need 24 designs!

Here is what I am looking for: Simplicity! This is not your average art contest where the best artist wins. I want designs that capture the essence of Puzzle Pirates but I want them kept somewhat simple. I do have to create them into quilt squares after all.

I am not looking for: Detail. If your entry has too much detail, it is likely I won't want to use it. Keep in mind I am generally limited to what I can do with fabric. Shading won't work well here. I don't want these designs to be overrun with words. I wont mind putting a word or two on some of them, but I will generally prefer the ones without words. I also do NOT want a bunch of you trying to immortalize yourselves in my blanket. I might do a couple squares with a pirate on it but I won't do many.

Here is how to enter: Make/create/draw a picture you think would look nice/cute on a YPP based piratey quilt. Scan it, photograph it, draw it on the comp, whatever works best for you. The quality of artwork DOES NOT MATTER! It is the designs I am looking for. Your design may be up to 500x500 pixels. That is roughly 7 inches by 7 inches for those of you that will use paper. You do not need a background but you may use one if you like. The designs will be put on a larger fabric background. I'm sure I will be able to find some that looks like grass, water, a star-filled sky etc. so if you think your design would look best on a specific background, let me know.

The fine print: By submitting an idea, you are giving me permission to use it in my quilt. I will not use any submission in any other manner. I reserve the right to make minor changes to any submission (It is my quilt after all.) If I change your submission, you still get full 'credit' for it. **If you want, I will embroider your name on the bottom corner of the square you have designed** -This would generally be your pirate name. If you want your real name put on it, you can PM me with that information if I select your design. And no, I'm not a psycho stalker that will hunt you down and gut you like a pig.

This event will be open until I have selected the 24 designs I will use or people lose interest and quit submitting. Enter as many times as ye like.

Prizes? Of course! Unfortunately I am unable to give out 24 prizes (other than your design being in my quilt.) So, to my 4 favorite entries I will gift you a 1 month subscription to the game. If you play on a Doubloon ocean, I will gift you however many doubloons can be purchased for the same approximate value as a 1 month subscription.

Edit: Anyone can enter, anyone can win!

Note: If you want to actually discuss your entry/potential entry with me, find me on Midnight, I am online alot! I will be happy to talk it over with you so we can tweak it together into something we will both be happy with.

**Squares Selected** (If you want the square inscribed with your name, edit the name you want into the post with your entry or PM it to me.)
*If I haven't selected your design that doesn't mean I won't.*
1. LilMudblood (Inscribe - Hungrypirate) - Finished Product
2. kari_kamiya (Inscribe - PrincessJ)
3. PogoBeta (Inscribe - Pogo) - Finished Product
4. Synful (Inscribe - Synful) - Finished Product
5. celiatr (Inscribe - Flutie) - Finished Product
6 & 7. Mudgrull - U giv poez and Carpentry (Inscribe - Mudgrull) - Finished Product - Finished Product
8. Havelan (Inscribe - Havelan)
9. Sivius (Inscribe - Sivius) - Finished Product
10. Jsweetie24 (Inscribe - Jsweetie) - Finished Product
11. Avelais (Inscribed - Avelais) - Finished Product
12. andman (Inscribed - Iove - Its an I not an L) - Finished Product
13. jerze (Inscribed - Jerze) - Finished Product
14. aldovandra (Inscribe - Silentmime) - Finished Product
15. Muffin2 (Inscribe - Muffin) - Finished Product
16. Sottovoce (Inscribe - Sebastienne) - Finished Product
17. Seaside - Finished Product
18. Shell4games (Inscribe - Shell) - Finished Product
19. drummerboy24 (Inscribe - Plagar) - Finished Product
20. Shell4games (Inscribe - Shell) - Finished Product
21. Raya_Foxfire
22. Celiatr (Inscribe - Flutie) - Finished Product
23. Synful (Inscribe - Synful) - Finished Product
24. Empanado

My children selected 3 of the following squares, my hubby picked the 4th....(These arent in any special order)
1. Aldrovanda and her skelly on a boat
2. Shell4games and her blackship
3. Drummerboy24 and his 'Chubs the Cannon'
4. Raya_Foxfire and her Jolly Roger

----------------------------------------
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Edit 57 times, last edit by Shandra at Aug 27, 2006 3:13:39 PM]
[Aug 4, 2006 10:48:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Metal666head

Re: Taco's Simple Squares: A Design Challenge

Alright since i already won twice:

heres my winning entrys:

into

Taco is crazy! She'll hunt you down and gut you like a pig!
Mudgrull - The infamous self muter. Yes it's possible.
Owner of the Greenie mountain

Send me a PM if ye want to know how to do it :)
[Edit 14 times, last edit by Metal666head at Aug 9, 2006 8:25:03 PM]
[Aug 4, 2006 10:49:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I like the 'U Gif poez'. If I select this square, I would likely change the expression on the pirates face and remove the poe bag from his hand.

For the skellies one, I think I would rather see the skull shaped like the skull trinkets you get.

I definately have to have something carpentry related, this one might actually be a bit too simple.

I'm not thinking I like the Iron Monger one.
Taco - teh one and only

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shandra at Aug 5, 2006 7:13:15 PM]
[Aug 4, 2006 10:53:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mystical_gem

Taco, this event is awesome..as i've told you before!

It's very different compared to the others! I hope your quilt turns out amazing, as i'm sure it will!!

This will be fun for everyone to try out!

p.s. mudgrull thats too funny
Fallen tells you, "Hey cute tha... man, I can't do it. That's just too primitive to be funny."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mystical_gem at Aug 4, 2006 11:25:40 PM]
[Aug 4, 2006 11:23:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thrynity

Ooooh ... sounds like fun! Maybe after I get my design completed, I'll go knit myself an eyepatch. Wheeeee ... crafts!
Thrynity: 100% Pure Awesome.
[Aug 5, 2006 8:58:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

And no, I'm not a psycho stalker that will hunt you down and gut you like a pig.

>.>

<.<

D.
[Aug 5, 2006 9:40:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Aries_

Here's my entry! This time, i'm just trying to capture the concept of socializing at the dock/ dock tarting.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by _Aries_ at Aug 5, 2006 8:41:38 PM]
[Aug 5, 2006 4:51:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I am considering doing a dock tarting scene, especially since it is an activity I engage in alot.

If I can dig up someone in my RL social network that has one of them sewing machines that can do text this would of course be easier as speech bubbles would definately be an important factor in dock tarting.
Taco - teh one and only

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Shandra at Aug 5, 2006 9:45:28 PM]
[Aug 5, 2006 7:15:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Aries_

Yeah, I think I'm going to rethink my entry over.
[Aug 5, 2006 8:17:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I like the cute yet simple style of your avatar Aries. Not sure who did the work but that is along the lines of what Im looking for - bigger though, as it is the 'pieces' would be way too small.

Again, its not the quality of the art Im after, its the design ideas.
Taco - teh one and only

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shandra at Aug 5, 2006 8:25:57 PM]
[Aug 5, 2006 8:23:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Avelais

OK this is just a rough sketch I drew up in a few minutes... If you like it I can go over it and refine the outline- maybe buff up the color and make it all purdy ^_~ anyway- let me know what you think!

Avelais's (or pirate name Rhyf) entry sketch:

Rhyf of the Sage Ocean

Rhyf says, "Pirate freaks unite!"
Mattsapirate thinks maybe that seemd a little strange as a speak bubble
Rhyf laughs
[Aug 5, 2006 8:42:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://Avelais.DeviantART.com    Avelais [Link]  Go to top 
celiatr

/me giggles!

Finally a Taco, Inc. Event I may have a chance at. I will update this post with my entry as soon as I get my artsy fartsy self off this forum.
Flutie
Midnight Cerulean Ocean

April 1, 2009 on Midnight Ocean [21:22:49] Eurydice broadcasts, "Okay, Flutie, this better be good."

ROMS ~ The Subforum/Dead Thread
[Aug 5, 2006 9:18:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Avelais -
What is in the monkeys hand?
I would brighten up the background some, change the skull hat to a bandana maybe, and make the whole thing bigger (I can do the resizing myself so thats not really a big issue.)
Taco - teh one and only

[Aug 5, 2006 9:35:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LilMudblood

Here's one that you simply can't have (seeing as it was your event and all...)

A O Noes! Where's My Nose! Patch...

I acctually wanted the back to be a cream not a yellow (oops) but if I have time I'll fix it.

Oh and I kept it all plain colours (not shaded or anything) as I though with quilting and all that would be easier....
Kiyit, on Obsidian.
Formerly known as Hungrypirate on Viridian.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by LilMudblood at Aug 5, 2006 9:40:38 PM]
[Aug 5, 2006 9:39:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Ding Ding! We have our first square!! LilMudbloods rendition of O Noes! I will probably tweak the nose to look a bit more like the one in my avatar but otherwise you dont need to worry about the colors - as I print out each 'pattern' I will use I will sit and plot out the exact color scheme for each square so the quilt will be somewhat color balanced.

The missing noses has definately been the topic of many conversation in the game therefore in one way definately capturing the essence of YPP.
Taco - teh one and only

[Aug 5, 2006 9:58:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LilMudblood

I'm glad you like it :D

Now to think of more possible squares...

/me takes a quick bow before rushing off to grab my sketch book.
Kiyit, on Obsidian.
Formerly known as Hungrypirate on Viridian.

[Aug 5, 2006 10:04:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rinic

[Aug 5, 2006 10:27:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Here ya go..

How's that?
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Synful at Aug 5, 2006 11:58:32 PM]
[Aug 5, 2006 10:34:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Syn, if ye could, kill the background, make the pump gold and put the lines on it where they would go and I would love to put it on a background full of bubbles.
Taco - teh one and only

[Aug 5, 2006 10:39:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

I can do that :)
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Aug 5, 2006 10:40:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shell4games

These are some ideas I had :)

The colored squares could be an area of quilt squares each having a drinking marker on it ;) If it is something ye like then I will draw them up individually. This is just to show the idea.

shellgames
Captain * Angels in The Midst * Malachite
Misty Waters
[Aug 5, 2006 10:43:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://pottershands.com [Link]  Go to top 
kari_kamiya

Here's my first entry, the 4 background colours are the different colours of names one can hypothetically have in the game, symbolizing unity :P The rest of the colours are just what kind of markers I have avaliable :P.

and here's the black and white version:

<< If Barbie is so popular, why do we need to buy her friends? >>

Visit Princessj's Avatar Shoppe !

Princessj of Emerald
[Aug 5, 2006 10:44:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Shell - although I dont play the drinking puzzle, I love the cups you have done, they are very cute and I would love to see a full lineup of them all. It would probably be easier on me if you did them individually on the little backgrounds they have, that way I could make them in a good size to spread them out over the background square.
Taco - teh one and only

[Aug 5, 2006 10:47:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Kari, its awesome, ye got square #2. I will change the parrot to pink though to match my familiar. (I will make that as 4 mini squares put together into one large square.)
Taco - teh one and only

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Shandra at Aug 5, 2006 10:59:48 PM]
[Aug 5, 2006 10:49:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kari_kamiya

Yay! Thank you so much ^_^

Here's my second entry, I title it "A Piratey Handshake" (background colours following same logic as previous one, except this time I remember the white names of event characters :P)

and black and white version:

Enjoy ^_^
<< If Barbie is so popular, why do we need to buy her friends? >>

Visit Princessj's Avatar Shoppe !

Princessj of Emerald
[Aug 5, 2006 11:11:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

this is just begging to go on a quilt... it's almost a quilt in itself.

Pogo on Midnight

I used to have an avatar shop
for someone this washed up, you'd think i'd be a little cleaner...
[Aug 5, 2006 11:13:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Pogo, I have no idea why, but it looks like ye got a cheese slicer and a spaghetti grabber on there!

Do me one good cleaver and we will go from there.
Taco - teh one and only

[Aug 5, 2006 11:21:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

*bump*

Changed what you asked for above.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Aug 5, 2006 11:24:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PogoBeta

As long as I'm being lazy and copy/pasting...

Pogo, I have no idea why, but it looks like ye got a cheese slicer and a spaghetti grabber on there!

Do me one good cleaver and we will go from there.

awww ;_; but there's no cleavers in the drop pattern.
Pogo on Midnight

I used to have an avatar shop
for someone this washed up, you'd think i'd be a little cleaner...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by PogoBeta at Aug 5, 2006 11:28:03 PM]
[Aug 5, 2006 11:26:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Syn - u giv cute chubby crab?
Taco - teh one and only

[Aug 5, 2006 11:29:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 258   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates