• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 20
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3051 times and has 19 replies Next Thread
guppie

Hire Jobber buttons are great but.... Reply to this Post

When I'm in a puzzle doing my duty I have to get out of the puzzle to use them! Is there anyway to put this in with the leave puzzle buttons for us officers?
----------------------------------------
Jinia ~a puzzled pirate since Sept 2003.
Retired Captain of the Crazed Mob
Retired Princess of Cold Steel
First and Former Governor of Wrasse
Beginning a new life on Sage!
[Nov 6, 2003 4:09:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kwewing@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
Sarterixa

Re: Hire Jobber buttons are great but.... Reply to this Post

You could always just type /job name
Sart
Senior Officer of Black Death
[Nov 6, 2003 4:19:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Personally, I'd like to see them go away eventually. Either:
  • ]When the jobber accepts/rejects
  • ]Some set period of time, like /who queries[/list:u:66c90c6315]Huge improvement even as they stand, however.

atteSmythe,
    Info - Hire

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
    Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Nov 6, 2003 4:35:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Lallaria

What we really need fer jobbers is something like a 'top two' list. So that, when you type /top <jobber> in your chat window, it prints out the top two experience/skill (piracy?) levels of the jobber.
So

/top Lallaria
would produce
Lallaria has Solid/Legendary Navigating and Solid/Legendary Sailing.

In the standard brown box in your chat window.

Which, in my humble opinion, would give people enough information on whether they want to job them.

This would allow cap'ns and officers the ability to be in a puzzle and job people at the same time.
Lallaria
[size=10]Retired
[Nov 6, 2003 4:54:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Lallaria [Link]  Go to top 
EmmEss

Actually, I look at all aspects of the /who information when I job someone.

What their specialities are (carp, or sail, whether or not they gun)... but to me that's un-important as much as if they're crew'd or not crew'd, and what flag they're under.

I like to pick up that jobber who has never sailed before and teach him/her the ropes if I've the time. More often then not, they join my crew, OR they at least get a positive experience in YPP and I see them happily in YPP Land continuing to play here.

Except if I'm having a bad run..and they're being useless folk who just absoultely won't even listen in which case I'm forced to plank after repeatedly asking them to do a duty. To which they get negative experience..but hey at least I tried.

Luckily I've had more jobbers who like to listen, and I've even taught quite a few to gun, where as on other ships most won't even let you near the puzzle, let alone teach you through it during a sea battle!

So yeah..I"d much much rather have the crew/crew rank/flag information..

Cause I can also get to know other folks in my flag by seeing them apply for a job in my crew. (Though currently we're unflagged..). Where as I wouldn't know them otherwise..
[Nov 6, 2003 5:01:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lallaria

I was trying to make a quick way to find out information about a jobber while you're in the puzzle...
maybe ye can add to the end

Lallaria is Solid/Legendary in Navigating and Solid/Legendary in Sailing, and she is in a crew.

or

Lallaria is Solid/Legendary in Navigating and Solid/Legendary in Sailing and she is Senior Officer of ARR and a Member of Nyx's Scions.

Rifkind is Weighty/Renowned in Navigating and Narrow/Grand-Master in Carpentry and she is Captain of ARR and Queen of Nyx's Scions.

I jest thought clutter for every jobber was a bad idea. If you want all the info about them, ye best be cancelling out of your puzzle and looking at it.

Also: If someone is equal on everything (or any two things), ye'd want te order it so that Sailing and Carpentry are on top, as those are generally the more important things when jobbing.
Lallaria
[size=10]Retired
[Nov 6, 2003 6:27:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Lallaria [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

EmmEss wrote: 
Actually, I look at all aspects of the /who information when I job someone.

What their specialities are (carp, or sail, whether or not they gun)... but to me that's un-important as much as if they're crew'd or not crew'd, and what flag they're under.

I like to pick up that jobber who has never sailed before and teach him/her the ropes if I've the time.

Aye, unless it's late at night and I'm alone, I'll almost only hire flagmates/friends or unaffiliated and relatively inexperienced jobbers. With the latter, it's an opportunity to train 'em and recruit 'em.

Which leads me to yet another jobbing suggestion - it would be nice if there were a way of posting specifically for unaffiliated jobbers. This would be great for crews/flags which were recruiting, particularly if they were/had specialized training crews.
[Nov 6, 2003 6:32:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

atteSmythe votes NO to chat clutter

It's one of those tradeoff things. You can officer and puzzle at the same time, but it's not as efficient as officering full-time. It's like running sea battle Nav and Gunning at the same time. Doable? Yes. Optimal? No. But I'd hate to gum up the chat screens of all my officers with all that information. On the Brig, we'll often get 4 applications at a time...

atteSmythe,
always lookin' for scalability

[Nov 6, 2003 6:32:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Lallaria

atteSmythe wrote: 
atteSmythe votes NO to chat clutter

Ye'd be cluttering yer own chat. If ye noticed, I threw it in as a command. So it tells you that you have a job request, and you can ask for more information (using /top or /info or /whatever) if ye'd like it without jumping out of the puzzle.
Lallaria
[size=10]Retired
[Nov 6, 2003 6:53:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Lallaria [Link]  Go to top 
spinn

atteSmythe wrote: 
It's one of those tradeoff things. You can officer and puzzle at the same time, but it's not as efficient as officering full-time. It's like running sea battle Nav and Gunning at the same time. Doable? Yes. Optimal? No.

Eh, I'm for the "avoiding small crews and emphasizing socializing" argument, but this seems like an unneccesary burden when, say, you have three people on your ship, and you want to job new people, and you can't realistically job while running your ship.

I very much like the new windows, but taking away any sort of ability to see applications while you're navigating is unhappy-making.
And thus, the message is concluded.
[Nov 6, 2003 6:57:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spinnwebe.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
chaosrunner

How about just a way to access the 'Ahoy' tab while puzzling? That way you could access everything without having to quit out. Just pause it for a second, as if you were chatting.
[Nov 6, 2003 6:58:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/userinfo.bml?user=chaosrunner    x_patriate    TheChaosrunner [Link]  Go to top 
Claudia

chaosrunner wrote: 
How about just a way to access the 'Ahoy' tab while puzzling? That way you could access everything without having to quit out. Just pause it for a second, as if you were chatting.

Agreed, I'd very much like some functionality like that.

I thought this thread was going to be about something else--the Hiring Jobbers button with the little face on it. The face toggles from yellow to white or back when it's pressed, but the same color doesn't always mean the same thing. It'd be nice if yellow always meant a posting was up and white always meant it wasn't, or vice versa.

Near as I can tell what actually happens is it's yellow until you press it, then it's white through any number of presses. If you go into a duty puzzle, or emerge from one, it refreshes to yellow, until it's pressed--then it again stays white through any number of presses.

I suppose it could just stay one color all the time--that'd be okay too. I just keep trying to assign meaning to its current color, and there isn't really any useful meaning there.
Utena of Revolutionary Crew Utena
[Nov 6, 2003 7:17:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Modge

isnt the reason why weve got the buttons so we dont have to type /who ???? /job ????, this would be basically making this all over again
Modge -- Wench and Senior Officer of the Sneering Hydrofoils under the flag Entirley Pleasent Pirate
Modgette -- Officer of British Sea Power under the flag Looterati

[Nov 6, 2003 7:31:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akellyacct

chaosrunner wrote: 

This would be incredibly useful. I second the motion!
[Nov 6, 2003 8:15:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanns

It's normally the simplest things that are genius, isn't it? =P And, motion thirded.
-Spolto, some random guy of millions of people in the Midnight ocean.

-Ayrus, Senior Officer in the La Giustizia Implacabile.
[Nov 6, 2003 9:02:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lallaria

Modge wrote: 
isnt the reason why weve got the buttons so we dont have to type /who ???? /job ????, this would be basically making this all over again

Yes, but it would be easier to code from the developer's point of view if you wanted to stay in your puzzle and look at /info and /job at the same time. That was my point of view that is. If it's easier to make the 'ahoy' tab viewable from inside a puzzle, then by all means, go for it.
Lallaria
[size=10]Retired
[Nov 6, 2003 10:15:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Lallaria [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Spinn: I wasn't talking about removing something, merely not adding something.

Lallaria: You're right, I missed that it would be a command. Eh, fine, then. So long as it doesn't add all that info to the "Piratebeard has applied for a job" message.

atteSmythe,
abstaining on new proposition

[Nov 6, 2003 1:12:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Just to clarify: Yes, /who is to avoid using buttons, but the Ahoy! tab is WHERE /who information appears. They wish to be able to toggle between normal and Ahoy! tabs while puzzling on a vessel.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Nov 6, 2003 6:43:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
guppie

I think accessing the ahoy tab in some way is a good idea while in a puzzle. I'm just looking for a quick way to get the info without having to booch my ratings by getting out of the puzzle, or pausing it long enough to type in some of these names. Also, if I type in a /w pirate while in a puzzle, I STILL wouldn't see the info, because you have to be out of the puzzle to see that stuff.

I had been thinking that it would be an easy button to add next to the hire jobber button while in a puzzle... a small "I" and "H" with their info showing up in your screen like duty reports do, but only for the officer clicking the button. As I know nothing about programming, this could be a really tough one, but I thought I'd throw out the idea to add onto the list.

As it is, I am VERY VERY happy with just having the buttons at all, so please look to this as an improvement/refinement suggestion.
Jinia ~a puzzled pirate since Sept 2003.
Retired Captain of the Crazed Mob
Retired Princess of Cold Steel
First and Former Governor of Wrasse
Beginning a new life on Sage!
[Nov 7, 2003 1:07:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kwewing@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
gunstepper

I love the new jobber buttons too, but (there always seems to be a but) the two buttons seem a bit too close and similar for comfort, and seem like they might (and already have, in a case or two) caused someone to hire someone accidentally, which of course leads to an awkward situation.

Any chance of differentiating between the two buttons a bit more? Or perhaps having a confirmation for hiring?

Of course, this is a very minor point, and also comes from someone who used to type "/job" accidentally instead of "/who," so consider at your own risk.
Gunstepper
Boocher Extraordinaire
Lackey in The Deli Shop Quartet
[Nov 7, 2003 9:58:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates