• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 725
Posts: 725   Pages: 25   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 99391 times and has 724 replies Next Thread
Shandra

Oh noes! Where's my nose? [Mystery Writing Event] Win a monkey!*All Winners Announced!* Reply to this Post

*If the images do NOT work for you, please send me a PM, I will link you to my photobucket album that contains them all.*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok mates this is a mystery writing event. You will not be following a list of predetermined clues to 'solve' this. It is up to you to create a story that solves the mystery.

This event is open to everyone, and anyone can win any of the prizes.

Rules:
Your entry must be 1500 words or less. I will be using http://thecosmiccheese.googlepages.com/test.html to count the stories. Don't feel you have to write a long story to have a shot at winning. I just want to give a lenient word limit so your stories don't need to be shortened or have some of the 'good stuff' left out due to a shorter word limit.

You must use at least one of our suspects, incorporating the suspect profile (the Notes part). Feel free to be creative but remember, the suspects are based on our beloved OMs so try not to slander them too horribly - they know how to find you. Yes, you may use more than one suspect in your mystery.

Your setting must come from the game - any ocean. Use real buildings, islands, people (with permission) etc. I'm not going to be concerned with boat names so long as the weird ones "fit" into your story.

You have the crime and the suspects, provide us with the who, what, where, when, why, and hows! - Your suspect/s must be apprehended in your story! (Who doesn't want to see an OM drug to jail kicking and screaming?)

Plagiarism is grounds for disqualification from this event, AND any future events I host. I don't like cheaters so please don't try it.

Each person may enter only once - this means one entry per forum account. You may work together with someone else, but only the poster is eligible to win prizes.

Please keep all questions and comments to this thread.

All entries must be posted to the Entry Thread. The deadline for this event is: 23 July @ 12 PM (noon) pirate time. Mark your calendars - there will be no concessions made for post-deadline entries!

Please include your pirate name and the ocean on which you reside (and would like prizes.)

Judging:
I will be checking each entry for the following key factors:
1. Spelling and grammar - it is a writing contest after all.
2. Does it follow the rules: word count, suspect inclusion, and settings.
3. Does it answer who, what, where, when, why, and how?
4. Was the suspect apprehended?

I will read through each entry and make sure its "legal" - if I come across any that aren't for any reason - I will send its writer one and only one PM (make sure your inbox has room - I wont try twice) saying its not eligible for judging - I will NOT tell you what I find wrong with it nor will I send another PM if its still wrong after you think you have fixed it. Something good to remember - any entries that have the booched punctuation and odd boxes from cutting and pasting from Word will NOT be considered judgable entries - please use your edit buttons!! (Yes, I hate the booched boxes and will not send your entry to be judged if you have even one little box after entry deadline.) -I will be sending the PMs within 48 hours of an entry being posted - if you post really close to the end of the entry period, you are depriving yourself of this last-chance opportunity.

Any entries edited after the deadline will not be judged! I will attempt to get the thread locked to prevent post-deadline editing but no guarantees. I will make a post on the entry thread saying the entry period is closed, I will then reference edit times based on that post.

I understand English is not everyone's first language, therefore I will not be a huge grammar nazi, but please try your best - if you have just a couple mistakes, I wont disqualify your entry but if you have a lot, its history.

After I have checked, double-checked, and triple-checked each entry, I will send a list of legal entries to my judges.

Once the judges have read all the entries, they will select their 10 favorite stories and score them. A score of 10 to their favorite, 9 to second favorite and so on down to a score of 1 point for least favorite of the 10. I will add up all the scores, and assign the winners. The judges will have one week to get their scores to me.

What would a mystery be without some suspense? I am just evil enough do dish out a huge plate of it myself. Here is how....

As soon as I have the judges scores, I will post the 4th-10th place winners. A couple of days after that, I will post the 3rd place winner. A couple of days after that, I will post the 2nd place winner. Finally, a couple of days after that, I will post the 1st place winner.

Evil enough? Yes! Ok, the real reason I am doing it this way is so my artist has time to render the winning entry. We all want to see the guilty OM/s behind bars!

*I will personally break any ties that may occur for the 2nd through 10th placements. If there is a tie for 1st place I will confer with whichever OMs are depicted in those stories to select the ultimate winner. -This may extend the posting time for the 1st place winner.

Prizes:
6th-10th: Mirror Trinkets (Representative of magnifying glasses - all good sleuths should have one!)
5th place: Mirror trinket and Golden Ticket for Booty or No Booty
4th place: Mirror trinket and Golden Ticket for Booty or No Booty
3rd place: Mirror trinket, choice of sleeping pig/piglet/turtle OR Golden Ticket for Booty or No Booty
2nd place: Mirror trinket, choice of sleeping pig/piglet/turtle OR Golden Ticket for Booty or No Booty
1st place: Mirror trinket and Monkey familiar - choice of color - no white! Color options - http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Monkey

*Info for Booty or No Booty
Thanks to Piplicus for the Golden Tickets!

Speaking of my artist. I'm sure you have all noticed the super awesome artwork depicting our OMs in their suspect profiles. Evermind (Sky) to whom I am eternally greatful rendered all of them. She volunteered to do this for me even while she was working through her finals at the end of the school year. She has put a great deal of time and effort into the pictures and this event wouldn't be what it is without her extreme generosity. Please, everyone send her a great big PM thanking her for this awesome task. Oh ya, did I mention she did this out of pure kindness and generosity - she didn't charge me a single PoE. She does sell avatars; please check out her other works of art! http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=32186

Are you still reading? Get busy writing!

Links to the rest of the event art....
Newspaper
Newspaper
Newspaper
Newspaper
Newspaper

THE LIST in order of appearance (note: these are the qualified entries)
In order of appearance....

trenterj
lethallizord
seaflame
ponytailguy
bloodnguts
longjohnbone
shazwilky
icedisc7
latchhook
alexus2005
satin11
capifox
rotterbee
tinytb
kfree_81052
nirelka
capt_ladybug
greyfish
shfiftyfive
foxracinggg
ally_pirate
_aries_
kittenhugger
zapphire_sky
countrytheta
nightorday
somellerat
jeni4274
tinkrbell
empath
charmedone19
killermojo
haiavaha
vikkiz
smuggy4
bobbyjoe1337
ashmar
wygfueg
crazejw
lauren_roz
vixentango
shikyo
aldrovanda
mnicolero
rbbarker
shallows
talisker
darkpheonix5
ilikeoe40s
pfranderson3
ashman225
edtung
dapiratedude
prettypeabo
supreem1
ebrophy
woodmill
deadlyevans
karlimarie
ruined_ashes
splitmv
squidink
fallen_an9el
zephosZ
eggroll2
miserableshe
andreazahn85
irelay
jenloujen
ppplushies
bleusummers
jimbo325
sottovoce
tinanoodles
drachelady
wonderlander
bilgeboxbety
lizzie
muffin2
temporary77
shandra (posted for nackk)
2cucry
mandrew363
kshopper1
darkaardvark
bisquick
trinsic
clairemink
mongappyton
drackaless
cracka_jack2
_hello_
ksparrow412
seaside
kitia
pomfret
jerze
wohali
piplicus_bno
blackbeth
fairtiki
skyfox
Prometheus (posted for Grampa)
grim_hawk
seastarx
zanered
dbavirt
scarymuffin
filterdose
minsiem
zombie_bunny
emufarmers
Lelantos (posted for Billyb)
micklauer
Lelantos (posted for vibhwu)

**AND THE WINNERS ARE**

**When you petition for your prize be sure to include the link to this event!!** http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=679705#679705

10TH - Micklauer - entry - Please petition your nearest OM to make arrangements for your mirror trinket!
9TH - Muffin2 - entry - Please petition your nearest OM to make arrangements for your mirror trinket!
8TH - Wonderlander - entry - Please petition your nearest OM to make arrangements for your mirror trinket!
7TH - icedisc7 - entry - Please petition your nearest OM to make arrangements for your mirror trinket!
6TH - fallen_an9el - entry - Please petition your nearest OM to make arrangements for your mirror trinket!
5TH - rbbarker - entry - Please petition your nearest OM to make arrangements for your mirror trinket! Please send a PM to Piplicus_BNO for information on your golden ticket.
4TH - mnicolero - entry - Please petition your nearest OM to make arrangements for your mirror trinket! Please send a PM to Piplicus_BNO for information on your golden ticket.
3RD - Irelay - entry - Irelay, please send a PM to Apollo letting him know which sleeping critter and mirror trinket you want (gem color) - if possible give him the location of a trinket case and house he can deposit your prizes in. If you have neither, let him know so he can make arrangements to meet up with you to deliver yer prizes. If you prefer a golden ticket instead of a sleeping critter, please let Apollo know that and PM Piplicus_BNO to make arrangements for the golden ticket.

Taco's Booch Statement

Changes to the winning lineup due to Taco's Booch:
6th - Irelay - linked above
5th - fallen_an9el - linked above
4th - rbbarker - linked above
3rd - sottovoce - entry
2nd - mnicolero - linked above
What does this mean for you in way of prize changes - All 5 of ye still get yer mirror trinkets - And now, all 5 of ye get a sleeping critter! Irelay, I believe you have already made arrangements for yours... The rest of you, go ahead and send a PM to Apollo, let him know what ocean ye play on, which critter ye want and if ye haven't already gotten it, the gem color on your mirror trinket. He will stuff your prizes in your house if he can't catch ye online. On top of that, Apollo has authorized Golden Tickets for the 5 of you as well. This means, if you haven't already, send a PM to Piplicus_BNO to make arrangements for that. I want to extend a huge apology to you all and hope ye don't hunt me down and have a tar and feather party. Super special thanks again to Apollo! The rest of the winners will be posted on schedule.

Dionysus doll - Ponytailguy - entry linked below
Eurydice doll - darkpheonix5 entry
Eurydice doll - Wonderlander - entry
Demeter doll - shikyo - entry
Demeter doll - supreem1 - entry
Apollo doll - blackbeth - entry
Apollo doll - zanered - entry
Nemesis doll - woodmill - entry
Nemesis doll - bobbyjoe1337 - entry
Nemesis doll - lauren_roz - entry
Nemesis doll - emufarmers - entry
Nemesis doll - talisker - entry
*Special Prize* from Artemis (not a doll) - drachelady - entry
Hypnos said he is still sorting through entries. Better late than never!
All of you - please send 1 PM (and only 1) to your respective OM, tell them what your pirate name is, the ocean on which you reside, and if you have one, the location of the house you live in.
1ST - Ponytailguy - entry

Honorable Mentions (These entries are the ones that did receive a score from at least one of the judges. - In alphabetical order)
2cucry
_aries_
ally_pirate
bilgeboxbety
bisquick
Blackbeth
capifox
countrytheta
dbavirt
fairtiki
filterdose
jeni4274
Jerze
karlimarie
kitia
lizzie
Mandrew363
Piplicus
pomfret
ruined_ashes
seaflame
seastarx
shazwilky
shikyo
splitmv
talisker
trinsic
woodmill
zanered
----------------------------------------
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Edit 58 times, last edit by Shandra at Aug 13, 2006 9:13:23 AM]
[Jun 30, 2006 10:59:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sivius

Re: Oh noes! Where's my nose? [Mystery Writing Event] Win a monkey! Reply to this Post

One word: Wow.
Sivius
Unretired, sort of.
[Jun 30, 2006 11:39:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jennygalaxy

Re: Oh noes! Where's my nose? [Mystery Writing Event] Win a monkey! Reply to this Post

Nice
Jennygalaxy, formally Cobalt, now Meridian Ocean.
[Jun 30, 2006 11:54:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jennylikesgalaxy [Link]  Go to top 
DolphineQ

Taco, I love you!

This is an awesome event and if RL didn't prevent me from having the time (or brain energy), I'd so be in it.
Man, we need more events like this!

/me hugs
Finding someone with a valid opinion is akin to hitting an 'A' paper in your marking pile. So rare, but suddenly worth all the crap you had to sift through to find it.
[Jul 1, 2006 12:43:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kuframan

Sounds awesome!
I will definetly be entering this.
Dragonblade
Vanguard
Saintdeath tells you, "Dude, to buy 20 million poe with CC is 4k dollars."
Saintdeath tells you, "That's a lot of beer, man."
[Jul 1, 2006 1:50:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xFinniganx

Wow! Awesome work Taco and Sky.
[Jul 1, 2006 7:17:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Guillotine_

Beautiful work, mates!

Where's Bia? :(
Guillotine
SO - Odin's Demise - Malachite

Baguette!
[Jul 1, 2006 7:33:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CountCristo

Simply amazing! Taco, once again you shown your event planning greatness. Also Sky, those pictures are incredible! I can't wait to start writing.
Cristo-Viridian and occasionally the rest.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by CountCristo at Jul 1, 2006 8:18:59 AM]
[Jul 1, 2006 8:09:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
micklauer

One word: Wow.

Nice

Taco, I love you!
This is an awesome event and if RL didn't prevent me from having the time (or brain energy), I'd so be in it.
Man, we need more events like this!
/me hugs

Sounds awesome!
I will definetly be entering this.

I concur. Sky, how many times do i have to beg you, when are we gonna work together. And Taco...you know I looooove Tacos. We'll be thinking of you at the Garden.

Beautiful work, mates!

Oooohhhhhh.....who "nose" where Bia might be...maybe THIS will shed some light on the mystery !!!! HAHAAHAHAHA

(_K:P
Devout follower of Apollo
d(-_^) Blackhat Approved
[Jul 1, 2006 8:13:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Latchhook

Amazing!

I can't explain in words how much fun this event will be!

Keep an eye out for my story! ;)
Liue on Sage
[Jul 1, 2006 8:36:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeaFlame

Shandra...you are my hero!!! what an awesome contest!!!

this sounds like so much fun...i am definately in!!!

and Sky...
THOSE PICTURES ROCK!!!
you are such an amazing artist!!!
Retired on 3/7/2010.

Heros get remembered, but legends never die.

-The Sandlot

Deviously Deviant
[Jul 1, 2006 8:51:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Beautiful work, mates!

As for Bia and the other OMs that are NOT included in this: I sent PMs to all of the OMs way back in the early planning stages (about 2 months ago) and asked them all if I could use them for this event. The ones that are featured are the ones that responded.
Taco - teh one and only

[Jul 1, 2006 9:10:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jerze

Oh my - I'm just going to have to have a small go at this - great idea Taco. Am dusting off my Poirot memories at once. And I was working down through all the clues thinking WHO is drawing these. Sky you do it just beautifully.
Jerze
British Bandits' Ambassador - Midnight Ocean
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.

L Cohen 'Anthem'
[Jul 1, 2006 12:04:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
taelac

Great contest idea, mate - thanks for hosting it! Now I just hope I can get something written in time to enter.

Oh, and for those who have trouble with the crazy unrecognized character boxes, I find that writing in a plain-text editor, such as Notepad, saves me the effort of going back and fixing so many things. Saving as plain text before copying and pasting might also help, depending on what word processing program you're using.
~Taelac
ROMS XVII:Vanilla Filler
Dead Thread
[Jul 1, 2006 12:51:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Scupperin' awesome.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Jul 1, 2006 12:57:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
ShockzTH

Hey, um, at this rate, I think less than 10 people will join, but, uh... People might make some climactic entries of greatness.
[Jul 1, 2006 3:16:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CountCristo

Hey, um, at this rate, I think less than 10 people will join, but, uh... People might make some climactic entries of greatness.

I would wager quite highly that there will be a lot more than ten entries to this event. In fact last I looked there were already two entries submitted.
Cristo-Viridian and occasionally the rest.
[Jul 1, 2006 3:29:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
metalnicka

An event to win a monkey, and loads of other nice prizes... loads of people will enter. It's fun too!

/me claps for Shandra!
Panteraa is drinking and might be too busy to respond.
Formerly of Sage Ocean/Free Harmonica Lessons/Tea and Strumpets.
Lovely avatar courtesy of the lovely Tilinka.
[Jul 1, 2006 4:03:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
evermind

Thanks for the props, but Taco truely deserves the credit. I drew these, but she was the one who organized, planned, and came up with the characters and schemes, not to mention the confidential notices.

That being said, you people better submit entries. The monkey beckons you! =P

-Sky

Oh, and the ten Ocean Masters featured were the ones who replied back about participation. KP, drop me a PM if you have ideas. :P

[Art Commissions - Closed][DeviantArt]
[Jul 1, 2006 4:45:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    skyscape6 [Link]  Go to top 
nightorday

does the scene have to be where the suspect was last spotted?
Laceymarie of midnight

Eurydice says, "yar im i pirat"
Sychopirate says, "I'm eating nuts. Anyone else want some?"

[Jul 1, 2006 7:41:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

does the scene have to be where the suspect was last spotted?

Veddy goot qweshtion glasshoppa - No. Actually, I just put that "last seen" part on all of them cause I thought it was cute.
Taco - teh one and only

[Jul 1, 2006 7:48:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kurisukun

Say we have a question about an Idea we had, and didn't want to share it openly in the thread so that we wouldn't be giving our competition ideas (Cause when you're reading stories, a innovation is only clever if you're the only one doing it)

Would you allow us to PM you then? Or do I... I mean... We have to Man (or woman) up and ask you here?
[Jul 1, 2006 9:12:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Say we have a question about an Idea we had, and didn't want to share it openly in the thread so that we wouldn't be giving our competition ideas (Cause when you're reading stories, a innovation is only clever if you're the only one doing it)

Would you allow us to PM you then? Or do I... I mean... We have to Man (or woman) up and ask you here?

If you feel it would give away too much of your story, feel free to PM me.
Taco - teh one and only

[Jul 1, 2006 9:15:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Framling

Ooh, neat. I shall endeavour to come up with something halfway legible. Do you accept entries in rhyme, or would you prefer straight prose?
Framling on Viridian

Lolpirate says, "O.o Your ability to rhyme is unholy."

[Jul 2, 2006 1:06:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    framlingem [Link]  Go to top 
LethalLizord

I've just started, and may I say, 1,500 words will be quite limiting! =x
An awesome event I believe this shall be, have fun guys!
~Viridian~
SnakeEye
Captain of Devil's Playground, Pay for Play

~Sage~
SnakeEyes
Officer of Hell's Angels, Hell's Wrath

~Hunter~
SnakeEyes
Senior Officer of Black September, The Eye
[Jul 2, 2006 7:19:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeaFlame

i have a question.

does it matter which point of view you write in? could you write in first person, or would you prefer to have the story written in third person?

thanks
*settles down to wait for a response*
Retired on 3/7/2010.

-The Sandlot

Deviously Deviant
[Jul 2, 2006 9:37:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Ooh, neat. I shall endeavour to come up with something halfway legible. Do you accept entries in rhyme, or would you prefer straight prose?

Whoa, um, if you want to go in rhyme more power to ye. So long as it meets the requirements.

I've just started, and may I say, 1,500 words will be quite limiting! =x
An awesome event I believe this shall be, have fun guys!

At first, I thought 1500 was a rather large word limit, seems now most people are telling me they wish it was longer! My judges would kill me if it was longer, Im thinking they are going to have quite a bit to read as it is!

does it matter which point of view you write in? could you write in first person, or would you prefer to have the story written in third person?

Totally up to you.
Taco - teh one and only

[Jul 2, 2006 9:48:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeaFlame

excellent!!!!!!

i'll get started now...

thanks again!!!
Retired on 3/7/2010.

-The Sandlot

Deviously Deviant
[Jul 2, 2006 9:57:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nyislenut

Awesome event Taco, just one question.

Use real people (with permission)

Does this include the Ringers, or can we safely put Nemo or Cleaver in the story as a minor character without having to hope their PM box isn't full and they give permission to be used.?
Himo, Sage.
OTR and PA
Fireydeath wrote: 

Sage is stagnant, needs more islands and has the most blockades, what's there to be confused about?

[Edit 1 times, last edit by nyislenut at Jul 2, 2006 10:17:42 AM]
[Jul 2, 2006 10:15:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nyislenut619 [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Awesome event Taco, just one question.

Use real people (with permission)

Does this include the Ringers, or can we safely put Nemo or Cleaver in the story as a minor character without having to hope their PM box isn't full and they give permission to be used.?

Im sure they can safely be used. -So far as I know they arent aware of this event though, so Im going to recommend NOT taking criminal liberties with their characters.
Taco - teh one and only

[Jul 2, 2006 10:19:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 725   Pages: 25   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates