• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 40
Posts: 40   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9682 times and has 39 replies Next Thread
Bia
OceanMaster

Distilling Bake-off - Win an Octopus!

Distilling Bake-off

This is a modified format based off of Bootlicker's Shipwrightery Bake-off.

When: Tuesday, June 20th. 5pm, PDT
Host: Minthe

Rules:
Joining
  • You must log on a character who is ranked Novice/Able at the puzzle.
  • Application will begin an hour before the designated start-time for the bake-off, at 4pm, PDT.
  • Send Minthe a tell with the name of your main pirate.
  • Take off Do Non Disturb.
  • Be patient. Do not send multiple tells..
  • You will be jobbed aboard the Distilling Waiting Room.
  • You must remain aboard the vessel until cleared to leave. If you leave the vessel you will be disqualified.
  • You must remain jobbed into Minthe's crew for the duration of the contest. If you leave, you will be disqualified.

Stat checking
  • Twenty Minutes before the start time (4:40pm, PDT), jobbing will cease.
  • This time will be used to check the stats of everyone on board.
  • All members should take part in this checking.
  • When you check a player, simply say "[name] is a fresh hand" if their Distilling is Novice/Able. Otherwise, say "[name] is too experienced".
  • Minthe will double-check any ones declared not good and confirm.
  • Any players who do not have Novice/Able will be disqualified.

Process
  • At the start-time, Minthe will say "Go".
  • Leave the vessel and travel to a distillery.
  • Play the distilling puzzle repeatedly. Do the best you can.
  • Every time you advance an Ocean-wide rank, send Minthe a tell stating the rank you have achived. I will check this and note the time.
  • Do not send tells when you increase in experience.
  • Continue this for two hours.
  • When the two hours have elapsed, Minthe will broadcast that time is up. You may then stop puzzling.
  • Reboard the Distilling Waiting Room for declaration of winners and prize distribution.

Winners
  • The winner will be the player who achieved the highest rank first.
  • Players will be ranked by how quickly they achieved the ranks.

Prizes
  • First Place: A Blue Octopus; a fancy ribbon trinket.
  • Second Place: An Ancient Rum Jug or a Golden Ticket for Booty or No Booty; A Fancy Ribbon Trinket.
  • Third Place: A Pig or a Golden Ticket; A Fancy Ribbon Trinket.
  • 4th-5th: A Golden Ticket; A ribbon trinket
  • 5th-10th: A ribbon trinket.
  • 11th-15th: A starfish.
    ----------------------------------------
  • [Jun 14, 2006 5:19:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    ruby_spoon

Re: Distilling Bake-off - Win an Octopus!

Oh yes. Oh very yes! Expect another spike in the Cobalt event-tourism market - there are a lot of pirates on a lot of oceans that think they're the best at distilling (me, I'm just cautiously optimistic), so this is likely to be very hotly contested and interesting indeed.

Kudos to Bootlicker for supplying us with a workable format, and the OMs for picking it up!
    Rubyspoon: [Midnight] BSP, Looterati; [Viridian] OD, Morrowind.
    [Jun 14, 2006 8:38:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
    Synful

If any assistance is needed, Bia, let me know. I am soooooo bad at distilling I simply would be too embarrassed to enter.
    The name is Synful.
    ------------------------
    [Jun 14, 2006 9:04:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Kaalvoet

I would love to help as well if you need it. :)
    The Infamous Feline Pirate
    Kitt on Cobalt

Rehio says, "Yes, O Mistress"
    [Jun 14, 2006 9:13:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
    sweetnessc

*considers the odds of getting fired if she knocks off work early*
    My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
    [Jun 14, 2006 9:56:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Hohumdiddly

/me stands at the door and takes all cover charges for entering the Cobalt Ocean.

Hohum
    Mazi says, "and i have freckles"
    Mazi says, "and i turn into a big freckle when exposed to rays of light"
    Prosperity says, "I get cute little freckles on my nosey"
    [Jun 14, 2006 4:41:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    GreenTail

Distilling Bake-off! But, give up 2 hours of greenie distilling for it? Hmmmmmmm.
    Yes! An octo is better than 100 units of fine rum :D
    --Guppygurl, spends every Tuesday distilling on new characters anyway
    Guppygurl, Cobalt Ocean.
    [Jun 15, 2006 12:14:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    SolomonX

Woohoo! A legitimate reason to call in sick to work! Oh wait, i used up all my sick days already. Oh well, i guess I got to call in dead. This is a 'can't miss' event.

-------------

Semi-Retired Foofoo of the Cobalt Ocean
    [Jun 15, 2006 2:50:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Piplicus_BNO

Is there anything to stop people from taking one or two stabs at the puzzle first, so they're one off neophyte and upper-able?

EDIT: Or is neophyte one puzzle?

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Piplicus_BNO at Jun 15, 2006 8:21:29 AM]
    [Jun 15, 2006 8:13:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
    DallasM

LOL! Well, I tried to organize one on Sage. . .exactly like the Shipwright Marathon. Here is a link to the posts.

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=662556#662556

And you can distill once before reaching Neophyte. :) I don't know how to stop that.
    Senior Officer and First Mate of the crew skeletons in your closet
    -Volsfootball on all oceans
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by DallasM at Jun 15, 2006 11:30:54 AM]
    [Jun 15, 2006 11:26:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Kaet

Is there anything to stop people from taking one or two stabs at the puzzle first, so they're one off neophyte and upper-able?

EDIT: Or is neophyte one puzzle?

Brand new character + one distilling puzzle (finished) = Neophyte experience.

(tested on Cobalt)
    [Jun 15, 2006 11:28:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    slntslayer

Hmmm, so I take it that those that own a distillery should max out their stock and place a ton of orders.

2 Hours is enough time to get a lot pushed through.
    When all else fails, go blow something up.
    I'm a BK hunting trollop, and how!
    Rehio wrote: 
    There's gotta be some law that prohibits Rashnu from having any sort of contact with greenies.

Rashnu
    i R slo kiddo.....
    [Jun 15, 2006 8:45:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    sivius

Read the rules for the Shipwrightery marathon.
    It it's the same: The judges will be sure the alt does not exist before you're allowed to make it for the competition, and will then be promptly jobbed to the ship.

EDIT:

Stat checking
    • Twenty Minutes before the start time (4:40pm, PDT), jobbing will cease.
    • This time will be used to check the stats of everyone on board.
    • All members should take part in this checking.
    • When you check a player, simply say "[name] is a fresh hand" if their Distilling is Novice/Able. Otherwise, say "[name] is too experienced".
    • Minthe will double-check any ones declared not good and confirm.
    • Any players who do not have Novice/Able will be disqualified.

Nevermind, this isn't as well run for equality..
    Sivius
    Unretired, sort of.
    [Edit 2 times, last edit by sivius at Jun 16, 2006 11:54:40 PM]
    [Jun 16, 2006 11:50:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    blackmaria

Loving the idea of crafting bake-offs.

/me mumbles something about Alchemy on Viridian >.>

Did I say that?
    Just show up and shoot, thats my philosophy.
    [Jun 17, 2006 3:31:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Hohumdiddly

At MOST, it's going to be one extra puzzle of distilling and it won't make that big of a difference in 2 hours. It will matter more about how well you do the next 40-50 times you do the puzzle. Stop complaining and be glad there is a great event to attend.

Hohum
    Mazi says, "and i have freckles"
    Mazi says, "and i turn into a big freckle when exposed to rays of light"
    Prosperity says, "I get cute little freckles on my nosey"
    [Jun 18, 2006 3:01:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    keieras

i wanna be in contest im am calybsa
    [Jun 18, 2006 10:18:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    sweetnessc

Not to mention that now it's been raised in the actual announcement thread, everyone will be able to do it, and be on an even footing....
    My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
    [Jun 18, 2006 11:39:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    ruby_spoon

Brand new character + one distilling puzzle (finished) = Neophyte experience.

Just in case this way of determining fresh alts is based on misleading tests like the above, I think I should clarify:

Experience is based on time spent in puzzle.

This means that it is possible to do one round of distilling and not hit Neophyte, if you do it fast enough.

I'm in favour of going back to Bootlicker's version, which is a bit more hassle but fairer. Sure, it's not much of a difference, and I believe Lethe won the shipwrightery by a 10 minute margin - but if this becomes a regular format, sooner or later a finish is going to be close enough that this matters.
    [Jun 19, 2006 1:35:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
    Kaet

Experience is based on time spent in puzzle.

This means that it is possible to do one round of distilling and not hit Neophyte, if you do it fast enough.

Yup, I discovered this last night after creating a few characters and distilling once. I was fairly dismayed to discover if you just moved everything through as fast as possible, you didn't change experience. I thought it might be all right anyway (since going fast would probably give you a bad score), but then I managed an "Excellent" without changing experience level, so...that wasn't so good. I didn't clarify it here as people had already implied I was incorrect anyway. heh

I'm not a quick distiller. I wouldn't be able to get an "Incredible" without changing experience levels. Is it easy to do?
    [Jun 19, 2006 2:03:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    ruby_spoon

Woohoo!

I started experimenting with different strategies back when the shipwrighting event took place. All that testing finally paid off!

I still don't think I've got it optimised, but for anyone that's interested, I started by getting sets of three CC^4s, and built up to ~CC^7.

Thanks to Bia for setting this up, congrats to Oliveoyl for coming in second and being a great sport, and congratulations to all the competitors that did as well as they did trying the full-on CC^12 strategy - I know how hard that is!

It's now 4am, I got 4 hours of sleep the night before, my eyes hurt and my right hand is a bit knackered. No pizza for me.
    [Jun 20, 2006 8:02:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
    Nouseki

Yep, that was a great bake-off even though only 28 people tried :p. Anyways that CC^12 style didn't work at all. After a Hour and Half I finally got to master >_<!. Oh and Congratz Rubyspoon :P and thanks for the tips.. Now im ready for the next distilling bake-off xD! /e Hopes it's on sage next time.
    [Jun 20, 2006 8:40:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    CobaltPopeye

Second place?!?

Great, now Oliveoyl has the evidence she needs to make me buy her a new computer.
    Popeye of Cobalt.
    Husband of Oliveoyl
    Caretaker of Wimpy the Parrot.

"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
    [Jun 20, 2006 9:25:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    MissMachine

Woohoo!
    All that testing finally paid off!

Was there ever any doubt? *grin*

Well done matey, you rock!

MissM
    [Jun 21, 2006 4:54:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Synful

I would like to say congratulations to Rubyspoon but I'm a bit confused, Ruby, perhaps you can explain. You just gave a familiar away on Cobalt because you said you do not play there. Why do you continue to go for familiars on Cobalt since you do not play there? I just feel that you took the familiar away from a regular Cobalter and that's not cool in my book. I was not even in the event because we all know I cannot distill and I also no longer play Cobalt, so this isn't because of my own loss in that competition.

Congratulations to all the Cobalters who placed!
    The name is Synful.
    ------------------------
    [Jun 21, 2006 10:06:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    B_licker

Take into consideration that this is the first time that a bakeoff for distilling has ever been run. Some people have been waiting years for an event like this. I think it was less about "stealing" a familiar and more about being part of a first-time event.
    [Jun 21, 2006 11:12:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    chicken182

Congrats again to Rubyspoon and Oliveoyl! The strategy that Greeneredd and i came up with was similiar to Rubyspoons, but less extreme. After timing labor before hand we found that about a 5 minute cc12 for 2 hours didn't get your standing up as much as a 3 minute excellent (say a cc6 or cc7 and then just sending the rows up). And it seemed to work since i placed 3rd. I thank Greeneredd for originally coming up with this idea for me to test. To bad his mouse is sticky :D.

~Algebra~
    [Jun 21, 2006 11:31:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    ruby_spoon

Synful wrote: 
    Ruby, perhaps you can explain.

It's a fair point, given what I've said on the matter before - now I'm a bit more awake I'm in a better position to comment.

As Bootlicker says, this is the first time an event like this has been run, and I am one of those that has been waiting for it for years. (Years! Seriously! How many things do you wait years for?!). I'd have been in this no matter what ocean it was on, what time it took place, or indeed what prize was offered.

It's also an unusual format in that there is no interaction between the competitors (other than perhaps the collective effect they have on the comparison database for scoring the puzzle). As such, it's a bit like sporting events such as the long jump where it is possible to set a certain record and people can compete with that score ever after - either in actual subsequent events, or just on their own to see how they do.

Incidentally, for those that want to do just that, I've been through my chat logs to see exactly what I managed:

Start - One pre-competition distill that took about 3 minutes and left me at Novice/Able.
    Competition starts: 
    Distinguished 06m 47s
    Respected 14m 07s
    Master 25m 17s
    Renowned 56m 40s
    Grand Master 85m 46s
    Bear in mind that I am using a graphics tablet; I would be seriously impressed if someone could match those times using a mouse. I fear there's a whole new argument to be had about the fairness of that. Also note that the difficulty is likely to vary from ocean to ocean.

Back to the question at hand. I'm lucky enough to have a familiar on both of the pirates I play the most. I will continue to enter familiar events because they are fun. As I've said, I don't think it's fair to deny familiars from others in that way, so I will be giving this one away in an event of my own, once I've earned enough poe to get myself a portrait with it! (Also, if I'd won one of the runner-up prizes, I would have given it to Cervantezz for taking 3rd place in my Ultimate duty puzzle competition).

There's still a legitimate complaint that any event I run will be different to the original, and in that sense I am unfairly denying whoever else could have won the original. In this case, I don't think it's much of an issue because Oliveoyl came second and she has two familiars already! I don't actually think it would be fair for me to enter distilling bake-offs in the future... until someone beats my time of course, then I'll just have to get back in there to try to keep the record.

A bit more feedback on the event itself.

As posted above, I was originally in favour of going with the original format's method of having everyone create fresh alts on the day. But apparently that took about 90 minutes for 80 entrants, which is just crazy. This method really isn't so bad a compromise. I don't think it's really necessary to have everyone going through the list saying who is a 'fresh hand', I think it's reasonable to only ask people to announce if someone is too experienced.

The turnout was low, no doubt due to the fact that it was 5pm on a Tuesday. I don't really see why it had to be on a 'free distilling' day, to be honest; I know I personally would have doubscribed for a month just to take part anyway (just as I did with the Punch in the Kidneys, although I ended up missing half the tourneys due to Real Life), and making it harder for non-Cobalt-residents to enter really isn't a bad thing in my opinion! That said, I suppose the ideal solution would be to have it on a weekend and use the almight dev powers to make distilling free to play that day, if possible.

One other thing is that I would really have appreciated just a single /tell after sending out mine to reassure me that the feedback mechanism was working - not after every one I send, just one would do! I hope that wouldn't be too much to ask. It's very easy to imagine that you're just sitting there distilling away and by some puzzle-tunnel-vision mistake not sending the tell properly.
    [Jun 21, 2006 11:50:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.juggler.net/tim [Link]  Go to top 
    B_licker

I don't really see why it had to be on a 'free distilling' day, to be honest

It's not just to allow non-subscribers to participate. It's also to allow people with no free alt slots on their subscribed accounts to play.
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by B_licker at Jun 21, 2006 11:59:29 AM]
    [Jun 21, 2006 11:59:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    nylons

Well, Ruby did really well in the competition and outshone every one of us. She got a GM and I was the only other one to reach renowned. Sad to say (perhaps due to the contest time/day), I didn't see any other top distillers taking part at all. I dont meant to insult the other competitors, but they were participating just for fun. :)

Ever since they announced that there would be a distilling bakeoff, I've been distilling for at least 2 hours at a time, 3 times a day... I thought I figured out the trick to get renowned which was already very good, but Ruby has been practicing since the last Shipwrighting bakeoff, and she really deserves it. Taking part in the competition is not all about winning a familiar.

In my opinion, Ruby is just trying to test herself, just like me, to see how well she can do in that 2 hours. As for me, even though I am a regular Cobalter, I already have 2 familiars (one of which was given to Popeye). I just wanted to take part and win a kraken for my bestest friend in game.

And look at it this way, at least Ruby is not like some of the other multiple-familiar owning players in this game who keep the familiars to themselves. She gave a familiar away and this itself is already very generous.

~Oliveoyl
    [Jun 21, 2006 12:29:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Synful

Thank you, Ruby, for your explanation. I now understand better =)
    The name is Synful.
    ------------------------
    [Jun 21, 2006 3:32:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 40   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates