• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 605
Posts: 605   Pages: 21   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 89629 times and has 604 replies Next Thread
Bia
OceanMaster

June Familiar Tournaments and Auctions

Tournaments

Starting this month there will be a different approach to the familiar tournaments. We have realised that there is a disparity between the difficulty of various familiar events. While we had the goal of increasing the number of familiars that are available on all oceans, we have also unfortunately caused the impressiveness of said familiars to diminish. This can most clearly be seen in the difference between Fava's Punch in the Kidneys event and a standard Rumble tournament. While the former is clearly more difficult and taxing than the latter, the ultimate prize is the same.

We have decided to resolve this disparity by awarding even more familiars. Starting later this month all oceans will have familiar tournaments on an approximately weekly basis. These tournaments will rotate times slightly each week, so over time all players will be able to take part. As a prize, these tournaments will have tan familiars as a prize. Tan familiars will now be reserved as a prize for these tournaments, much as white familiars are reserved for OCL prizes. All other colours will remain for any other familiar events.

Once this new familiar plan goes into effect no tan familiars may be recoloured. The tournaments will begin at some point after June 25th. Players who currently own tan familiars may submit a petition until then to get their familiar recoloured at no cost.

I have posted more in depth information later in the thread, but I shall repeat it now:

Regarding the tournaments, I am considering the following details for each tournament type:
Swordfighting - Bring Your Own, best of 3
Drinking - Bring Your Own, 2500 points, 4 colours/shapes, best of 1
Treasure Drop - 30 seconds with holes, 4th round halved, best of 1
Rumble - Bring Your Own, best of 3

Tournaments will be scheduled across all oceans with eight hours separating. That should give all time zones coverage each day of the week.

Also, due to the fact that these tournaments are automated, they will occasionally conflict with the regularly scheduled maintanence reboots. Because we cannot alter the schedule of these reboots, when such a thing happens, the tournaments are not likely to be recreated.

For the same type of tournament on the same ocean, 163 hours shall pass between tournament.

The schedule will start as follows.
All times are in PDT.

Sunday, June 25
1am - Cobalt Swordfighting
9am - Hunter Drinking
5pm - Midnight Treasure Drop

Monday, June 26
1am - Sage Rumble
9am - Viridian Swordfighting
5pm - Cobalt Drinking

Tuesday, June 27
1am - Hunter Treasure Drop
9am - Midnight Rumble
5pm - Sage Swordfighting

Wednesday, June 28
1am - Viridian Drinking
9am - Cobalt Treasure Drop
5pm - Hunter Rumble

Thursday, June 29
1am - Midnight Swordfighting
9am - Sage Drinking
5pm - Viridian Treasure Drop

Friday, June 30
1am - Cobalt Rumble
9am - Hunter Swordfighting
5pm - Midnight Drinking

Saturday, July 1
1am - Sage Treasure Drop
9am - Viridian Rumble

At this point, the scheduled week will be complete and the next week shall start.

8pm - Cobalt Swordfighting

Sunday, July 2
4am - Hunter Drinking
noon - Midnight Treasure Drop
8pm - Sage Rumble

Monday, July 3
4am - Viridian Swordfighting
noon - Cobalt Drinking
8pm - Hunter Treasure Drop

Tuesday, July 4
4am - MIdnight Rumble
noon - Sage Swordfighting
8pm - Viridian Drinking

Wednesday, July 5
4am - Cobalt Treasure Drop
noon - Hunter Rumble
8pm - Midnight Swordfighting

Thursday, July 6
4am - Sage Drinking
noon - Viridian Treasure Drop
8pm - Cobalt Rumble

Friday, July 7
4am - Hunter Swordfighting
noon - Midnight Drinking
8pm - Sage Treasure Drop

Saturday, July 8
4am - Viridian Rumble

And the next scheduled week shall start.

3pm - Cobalt Swordfighting
11pm - Hunter Drinking

Auctions
  • For this month, the familiar auctions will be for pieces of eight.
  • On June 14th, I will start a thread in each ocean's bazaar forum.
  • All bids must be at least 10,000 pieces of eight greater than the previous high bid.
  • If your bid is beaten and you wish to bid again, post again with your new bid.
  • A high bid must stand for 48 hours before the declaration of a winner.
  • Since there is a delay before I will start the auction threads, there is no minimum time period to get bids in.

Winners
  • The winner of the auction must send me a Private Message with the choice of familiar colouration and the location of the bid (ship, house, shoppe).
  • I will check the bid and leave the familiar in a wardrobe.
  • The winner may then retrieve the familiar at any time.

Auction threads
  • Cobalt
  • Hunter
  • Midnight
  • Sage
  • Viridian
    ----------------------------------------
    [Edit 4 times, last edit by Bia at Jun 23, 2006 2:12:58 AM]
  • [Jun 6, 2006 5:48:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    sweetnessc

Re: June Familiar Tournaments and Auctions

I wholeheartedly approve of this new policy. Well done.
    My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
    [Jun 6, 2006 5:55:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Chanelly

Quick questions.

1. Now there will be soon be a sudden flood of tan familiars. Will there still be a monthly tournament for colored ones?

2. Will there be a public posting of when these tournaments will take place and when times are changed? Its hard to just stay logged on all day long to wait for something when it would be nicer to just show up like I did in the past.
    [Jun 6, 2006 6:38:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    kerix

Ehh, I'm not too happy about this change.

I pompously consider myself one of the best drinkers on the ocean, though whether or not I really am is unimportant. While I've not won a familiar drinking tournament yet (I've literally lost count of how many I've lost in the finals), I've always felt "deserving", and I've always been able to say to myself, "Someday..."

And now, I can only aspire to win a boring tan one? A boring tan one, which every half-decent parlor gamer and his friends will soon have?

I've been frustrated several times over the last few months with luckfest-type drinking settings in the drinking familiar tournaments, which I assumed were set up that way purposely, to spread the familiars around a bit randomly. But I never whined or tarted at all (publicly at least ;), moderately comforted by knowing that someday I'd get mine. Now I can't really say that anymore, and I'm sad.

I think if these changes happen, there need to be more "skill" drinking and other parlor events where "real" familiars can still be won.
    [Jun 6, 2006 7:06:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Tartedesucre

This is the normal monthly tournament. You pick the color once you win.
    Tartedesucre
    SO & Muse of Mad Tea Party
    Princess of Pure Mayhem
    [Jun 6, 2006 7:09:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Synful

There will most likely be some mighty drinking and other parlor game tournaments for colored familiars, just more of an accumulative nature like Fava's rumble one that's going on now.

Synful(who will only get a familiar by buying one but will never be able to buy one due to her giving all her poe away in events)
    The name is Synful.
    ------------------------
    [Jun 6, 2006 7:10:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Bia
    OceanMaster

Quick questions.

1. Now there will be soon be a sudden flood of tan familiars. Will there still be a monthly tournament for colored ones?

Not in normal tournaments. However, special events such as the Punch in the Kidneys series of tournaments will have coloured familiars as a prize.

2. Will there be a public posting of when these tournaments will take place and when times are changed? Its hard to just stay logged on all day long to wait for something when it would be nicer to just show up like I did in the past.

No. The idea is that since they are common enough, players may join when the tournaments get a broadcast.

My current plan is to start these tournaments with some basic requirements. Where applicable, they should be bring your own weapon. Over time, these requirements may change.
    [Jun 6, 2006 7:51:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Chanelly

Will these tournaments be thrown on weekends only? or any day at any time is game.

Similar to the current auto tournament format except that its a little less frequent.
    [Jun 6, 2006 7:56:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Rappak

hm... So, the people who have been winning and being elite can have as many familiars as they please, be it tan or what not, and the people who are stuck in the middle who are a bit above average will get cast to the wayside yet again. I'm not happy, though, I'm not happy with how familiars are handed out to nearly just the top people all the time.
    Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
    Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
    [Jun 6, 2006 7:58:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Bia
    OceanMaster

Will these tournaments be thrown on weekends only? or any day at any time is game.

Similar to the current auto tournament format except that its a little less frequent.

The day and time should shift slowly throughout the week.
    [Jun 6, 2006 7:58:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Chanelly

Actually I think this move still helps more "random" players. Granted I'm sure top players will continue to win but this format will just offer my chances for the good but not great players. Plus since they won't announce when and where, this type of format would definitely be in favor for active players. No longer can somebody just come on every month for a tournament.
    [Jun 6, 2006 8:06:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    evilbob71

Let's separate the elite a bit more. Now winning a familiar isn't enough, because now there are tiers of familiars.

New idea, --
    Rome wrote:

erm, Rebe, I thank you, I'm not really the person on the "hang you' bandwagon"

[Jun 6, 2006 8:40:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    slntslayer

I can't say that I am a fan of this idea.

I, like many others, do not own a familiar as of yet but have been seen in 5 finals of various tournies (3SF, 1 drinking, 1 TD).

Granted it is a crappy color of a familiar unless you manage to win a monkey then it is about the same.

I think familiars are to help define the elite and by winning one you give youself a definition. It should be a goal to other pirates to strive to get one. I know I continue to strive and one day I may make it to the finals (...again) but actually win.

Rashnu (striving to get a purple octo)
    When all else fails, go blow something up.
    I'm a BK hunting trollop, and how!
    Rehio wrote: 
    There's gotta be some law that prohibits Rashnu from having any sort of contact with greenies.

Rashnu
    i R slo kiddo.....
    [Jun 6, 2006 9:19:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Vallin

I really liked the familiar a puzzle a month setup, but I guess this works too.

It would be nice if familiar "events" were held for ALL puzzles on a fairly regular basis, though . . . and I'd hate to see more familiar colors become devalued and deappreciated by classifying them with a certain type of tournament that is more or less common than another kind.
    Lucen on the Midnight Ocean
    [Jun 6, 2006 9:50:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Phour

I like that familiars will be more common - this means you don't have to be the best or the wealthiest in the entire ocean to have something special. Sure, your tan monkey won't be as impressive as a gold and maroon parrot...but that's the point of giving out only tan familiars on a regular basis and saving the special ones for special tournaments & contests.

I still won't get one...but I like the idea ;)
    Familiar on Cobalt
    [Jun 6, 2006 10:33:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    lyndi6384 [Link]  Go to top 
    dchow

I think its a fantastic idea to award more familiars.

I see a problem only in that the tan familiars will be permanant. OCL Familiars are not permanant, and arguably winning an OCL familiar is going to more competitive than winning one of the automated tournaments. Certrainly the first few waves of the tan familiars will bring out top drinkers, sfers, rumblers, tders, but what about down the line? How many people are going to enter an hour long tournament to win their fourth tan monkey? Or their third tan octopus?

I'm just throwing this out there, what if the tan familiars decayed -- say something like 90 days, similiar to how badges work where you know exactly how many days you have left. Then after the familiar decays you get some message like: Your Tan Monkey has grown old and is laid to rest. You are then awarded with a trinket of bones.

By doing this, you still keep the tournaments highly competitive, while leaving the winners of past tournament with a token of their dominance on that given day, and without diminishing OCL familiars.
    Things in my past I can never change.
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by dchow at Jun 6, 2006 11:03:14 PM]
    [Jun 6, 2006 10:58:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    LilMudblood

It's an interesting idea but I can't help but think that down the track (since familiars don't decay) that the oceans will become overrun with tan familiars. Although dchow's idea of having the tan familiars decay is a great idea to counter act that.

But I (like Rashnu) also see familiars as very rare and a goal in the game which is very hard to achieve. I'd like to think that most people see it as something to strive towards as well (as at the moment I am definately not the most wonderful puzzler around and I'm not very rich either). If/when the tournaments become like this I think (for me personally) it will draw away from the exclusiveness of it and seem more like a common occurance. Not to mention I'd only be interested in the tan monkeys.

I do like the idea of random timing though - that'd make it harder to find when a tourney would be on.
    Kiyit, on Obsidian.
    Formerly known as Hungrypirate on Viridian.

[Jun 6, 2006 11:15:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    maxmousemm13

edit/warning: i know that i have not won a familiar, and some text may appear to some people that i do, but i assure i do not.

edit: i had to add this

I like that familiars will be more common - this means you don't have to be the best or the wealthiest in the entire ocean to have something special. Sure, your tan monkey won't be as impressive as a gold and maroon parrot (cut for my time purposes)

Edit in typing actually begins now: lmao
    her/him-this means you don't have to be the best or the wealthiest in the entire ocean to have something special.

Me-uhhhh isnt that why they are so special/rare, only the best get them(granted im not one of them)?????????

her/him-Sure, your tan monkey won't be as impressive as a gold and maroon parrot

me-.... ummm think about this one and it'll hit you (your thought) isnt that why they are so special...

These tournaments will rotate times slightly each week, so over time all players will be able to take part.

ummm just thinking about this one bia (not to be rude) but, isn't a set date atleast a few weeks in advance enough time to get out of what you have going on to enter the familiar tournament(s) you want? and people can always stay up late, or wake up early, if they are in a non friendly time for them? i know in april, i stayed up from 2-6 waiting for the drinking fam tourny to start, then i saw it started it 7:30 (oh yeah CST) and i had school, and accomodated myself (getting sick) so i could enter, any time is good for anybody if they REALLY GAVE A CRAP ABOUT IT.

I'm not happy with how familiars are handed out to nearly just the top people all the time.

me-ummm, lets see, isnt that the basic idea for ALL tournaments, the top people win. the top for that instance atleast, also the "top" people you seem to loathe so much, practice (OH NO, who thought that people who practice(alot) win fam tournies)
    i also know however, that luck does beat out practicing (which people who win this way should admit to being lucky, and should not feel in any way that they are better at the person they beat, just because they got lucky one time)

ends now:

don't like
    at all

takes the meaning out of it really. granted i have not made any finals for any of them, and will never have enough to buy one(edit #6 as my brain kicked in, i WILL i have enough to buy one after they are selling for only hundreds of thousands of poe), im thinking these will be.... worhtless really... also granted that if at any time i was to win one (highly unlikely) i was gonna sell it (after a picture), but by having them weekly makes them.... worhtless.

im not seeing what this helps.... taking the value by distributing more

supply and demand monthly tournies

supply:1 each event
    demand- through the roof(people skip work, school, etc....)
    value-atleast 4 mill ($1000+) 500 dubs($100) selling at 700 each (apx.) 375000 X 10=3.75 mill
    pride factor: the respect of every pirate in the game with a brain, and floods of tells asking for money (i bet)

supply and demand weekly tournies
    supply: 4 a month (appx) each event
    demand: high (at first) then takes a HUGE dip
    value: my guess prolly a couple hundred thousand poe(you can win that much in one hand of poker easily , without the wait >$100
    pride factor: respect by greenies who dont know what a familiar is, and a few congrats after you win from other random people.

pretty much, i love knowing what i strive for is of value, and it will be of value, without the value of essentialy (for alot of people) the hardest thing (and most valueable) thing to accumulate, i see the general interest will begin to diminish. i just don't want to see such a great item go to waste

mega edit: i see all.. wait most of the people who'll never have a chance of winning one anyway support the idea
    mega edit end

loads of tiny little mistakes, that i will continue to find, to make this long/correct argument even better.

all personal shots at me should please be PM'ed to me, as i would love to argue with people who are wrong in thinking that decreasing the value of any object by giving more away so more people will have them as to make people happy is better then having one mega high value thing(per event) given out every month)

pickemgenius.............
    unneccessarily emotional seeing familiar value go to crap
    and
    wow i ranted way to long
    XXX STRAIGHT EDGE
    Drugs-NO
    Alcohol-NO
    Hardcore Punk- YES

pretty much sums who i am

Pickemgenius on Viridian
    [Edit 7 times, last edit by maxmousemm13 at Jun 7, 2006 12:31:37 AM]
    [Jun 6, 2006 11:29:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/heyimabigduhmass [Link]  Go to top 
    us72

i dont like the idea of all these tan familiars, there will be so many of them out, they should "disenegrate" at a certain point.

Also, tan, is very similar to some of the other colors, especially the monkeys, (ginger beige.. etc) and may get confused among people who won an old big tournament, or just a weekly new tournyament
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by us72 at Jun 7, 2006 1:13:30 AM]
    [Jun 7, 2006 12:36:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Sagacious

Tournaments
    Once this new familiar plan goes into effect no tan familiars may be recoloured. The tournaments will begin at some point after June 25th. Players who currently own tan familiars may submit a petition until then to get their familiar recoloured at no cost.

Why not just make the cost of recolouring a tan familiar much greater than a normal recolour? It will be like all the effort and acheivement to win the tourney anyway - only to get a tan familiar which yer kinda stuck with...
    Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
    Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
    #TeamPurple
    [Jun 7, 2006 12:52:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Phour

her/him-this means you don't have to be the best or the wealthiest in the entire ocean to have something special.

Me-uhhhh isnt that why they are so special/rare, only the best get them(granted im not one of them)?????????

her/him-Sure, your tan monkey won't be as impressive as a gold and maroon parrot

me-.... ummm think about this one and it'll hit you (your thought) isnt that why they are so special...

Maybe you're just not getting it. Familiars, other than tan colored, will be considered special and those are the ones that will be rare and highly valued. The tan familiars that will become more common, will only make your special ones (non-tan) even MORE special. There is no limit to how many familiars you can have, so there certainly can't be a limit to how many you can win and sell to people that just don't have the skill in tournaments, but have enough money from pillaging. Yes, there will be more familiars on the ocean - but they are going to be tan for a reason: so that the colored familiars will become more valued and the demand of familiars will be somewhat satisfied. Tournament for a pink octo brings in 150 people usually. And the tournaments for tan familiars will bring in the same amount for a while.

Basically, your entire rant is just you being rude. Your argument rarely touches validity, if it truly makes any sense at all.

Maybe these people aren't Sublime/Ultimate in Rumbling, Drinking, TD, or SF, but they can nail your tail to the wall in bilge, distilling, or battle nav. Make some tournaments with duty puzzles and you'll see a whole different wave of people winning familiars.

Stop being so closed minded. If getting a familiar is the only goal you have in this game, all you really want is the attention you mentioned.
    Familiar on Cobalt
    [Jun 7, 2006 1:16:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    lyndi6384 [Link]  Go to top 
    Rick9109

Does this mean my dream of a weekday late evening/early night familiar tourney might actually happy some day? ( =

I have a few familiar event ideas floating around on this PC, if I can find them I'll send them, if they are as good as I thought they were when I typed them up at 6:00 am when I couldn't sleep .
    Rome
    Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
    I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
    [Jun 7, 2006 1:17:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
    BehindCurtai

We have realised that there is a disparity between the difficulty of various familiar events.

You mean there's more than one monthly rumble familiar tournament (just an example)?

While we had the goal of increasing the number of familiars that are available on all oceans, we have also unfortunately caused the impressiveness of said familiars to diminish. ... We have decided to resolve this disparity we will start awarding even more familiars.

Err, um, uhh, /me confused.

You've reduced the impressiveness, so you're going to flood even more???

/me no undertand this higher logic.
    /me dumb pirate.

This can most clearly be seen in the difference between Fava's Punch in the Kidneys event and a standard Rumble tournament. While the former is clearly more difficult and taxing than the latter, the ultimate prize is the same.

Err, huh?

From the discussion in this thread, "Fava's Punch in the Kidney" seems to be the name for the (previously monthly) familiar rumble tourney. A standard rumble tourney doesn't award a familiar.

I'm still confused here.

These tournaments will rotate times slightly each week, so over time all players will be able to take part. As a prize, these tournaments will have tan familiars as a prize.

But the scheduling? When?

**SIGH**.

I shoulda mentioned this in my OM application.

A way to improve customer service / make the game more attractive: Have the schedule for the automated OM tourneys, especially any special prize tourneys (trinkets/pigs/turtles/familiars) well published in advance. Too many people miss out because
    -- A: They aren't on land, and don't get an announcement,
    -- B: They don't have a tourney board on board, and can't check every 2 leagues
    -- C: They have no way to schedule their pillaging around the tournaments

Right now, the combination of lots of OM tourneys, high valued OM tourneys (even a TAN familiar), low competition (unannounced), and the general "Only find out if you're in the parlor games" just encourages poker instead of pillaging.

Err, wait, that's parley / shore leave / Hypnos.

Personally, as much as I like the idea of "Make familiar competitions available to people at other time zones", I think that making pigs/turtles much more common, and familiars a little less might be a better direction.

Incidently, I still like ship auctions more than poe auctions.
    But even more, well, ...

A bakeoff competition: You do a lot of duty puzzling. If you are the best, you win. Everyone loses/wastes all the duty puzzling they did.
    A SF competition: You do a lot of compretetive puzzling. If you are the best, you win. Everyone loses/wastes all the puzzling they did.
    A competition to see who is the best at making money, if we had it: Same deal. You see who generates money. The rest is algon. ("Algon"? Sure. Neon, Argon, Krypton, Xenon, Radon, Algon.) The current "High bid wins, the rest keep" doesn't test who can earn the most PoE, it tests who has accumulated the most and who values it the most. (And yes, I did try to test a "who can earn the most while pillaging and PvP'ing". It was, well, not a disaster, but certainly not nearly a familiar level event.)

** Adding a LOT more tourneys just means that the best tourney players can win a lot more.
    ** If your goal is to increase the number of people who win, you want to have more tourneys at the same time.
    ** Have beginner/intermediate/expert tourneys go at the same time. Beginners get a pig or turtle in their tourney. Intermediates get a ... ?. Experts get the familiar.

People cannot go for multiple tournaments if you do it right. Certainly not for SF, or rumble. TD and drinking? Need a 15 second version is my first guess. (Turbo is too fast). So they pick and choose what they think is their skill level.

This will put the best players into the familiar tourney, while giving the rest of the players a chance for the pig, or the turtle + special furniture item.

I hate to say it, but familiars are the next blood. :-)
    "We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
    Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Jun 7, 2006 1:49:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
    Peanutswench

From the discussion in this thread, "Fava's Punch in the Kidney" seems to be the name for the (previously monthly) familiar rumble tourney. A standard rumble tourney doesn't award a familiar.

I think the point is that "Punch in the Kidney " is not a one off tourney. It's a lot harder to win and takes a lot more effort to only have the same prize as a contest that is only one tourney. That seems to not be fair to those that win something more difficult like "Punch in the Kidney", "Mug Masters", or the sword one I can never remember the name to.

I'm going to agree with others though in wishing that the tan familiars age. Not a fast age mind you... but something. I also hope this means a few other puzzles/activities will see some of the little tan guys.
    Peanutswench
    ------
    [Jun 7, 2006 2:13:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Beautymaus

I am really disappointed now.
    I loved the excitement of the tourneys and the possibility to win something special, now everyone with decent skills will carry a tan familiar because they wont be worth more than a trinket?
    Let familiars stay something special, if ye want to have special prices for great events, let the winner choose the color and which kind of familiar, let them get black or gold familiars or make a fourth kind of familiar.
    But monkeys, parrots and octos should be something special, equal which color they are and someone who wins a tourney against 200-300 other players deserves another color than tan!
    Oh and please don't let familiars age, after three years I finally won one of these tourneys and losing my octo again would let me stop playing immediatelly.
    [Jun 7, 2006 2:38:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    113262929 [Link]  Go to top 
    Saint_Death

Great, now you have to buy a familiar to get a decent coloured one.
    mcfunky wrote: 
    you can't really complain... unless of course your name is saintdeath and complaining is your actual job.

[Jun 7, 2006 2:46:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    SimpleD

With respect Bia, the Tan familars competition you've described serves exactly the same role that trinkets already serve. Wanting more people to win familars is a fine aim and one I agree with, however I don't see any value in a lobotomised approach that turns tan familars into a semi rare trinket.

I've always liked OCL white familars because they added to the community. OCL provided a new type of challenge, people could win their familars for a period of time but had to defend them and fight the following season to get them back. Theres a great deal of pride to be drawn from winning because the hardships to win are unique. The system you've describes adds nothing that trinkets don't already provide.

To finish I'm going to quote a point a friend of mine made. 'Honestly, have we gotten to the point where people are going to wander around sneering, "Ohh, that's a tan monkey you have there. How droll"?' The result is openly devaluing familars, yet this was the main disparity the community wanted to correct. That logic just doesn't work.

- Complicated
    [Jun 7, 2006 3:10:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Sagacious

I think also a knock-on effect of this is that previous winners of the familiar tourneys now own a higer valued familiar - unless it happens to be tan..

Bia - Don't suppose you'd be willing to review the idea based on some ideas here?
    Otherwise it just makes our objections pointless...
    Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
    Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
    #TeamPurple
    [Jun 7, 2006 3:21:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    bien

The familiar hardest to get; the one that requires a lot of skill, time and dedication, is the OCL familiar.
    And they are temporary.

And the now the game will reward familiars for random tourneys.
    And they will be permanent.

Would it not make more sense, if your goal is to increase the number of familiars, to make the OCL familiar permanent, and give out dolls/sleeping turtles/rare trinkets instead for these monthly tournaments?

What a slap in the face to anyone seeking competition this devaluing of the games top prize is.
    Many players have offered valid ideas to give goals and "special items" to midrange and lower skilled players in Game Design, but the choice of the developers is this?? This is Neopet mentality... in a game that should be well above that.
    [Jun 7, 2006 3:34:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Rick9109

To finish I'm going to quote a point a friend of mine made. 'Honestly, have we gotten to the point where people are going to wander around sneering, "Ohh, that's a tan monkey you have there. How droll"?' The result is openly devaluing familars, yet this was the main disparity the community wanted to correct. That logic just doesn't work.

- Complicated

Bleh, you're 100% right. I like the idea of weekly familiar events. After reading your posts, I see if they're all tan, it will basically create worse familiar elitisim than there already is and turns all tan familiars into trinkets.

I think if they're still colored, then people don't know where they come from and it might work against this. But then you unspecial the hard-work familiars. Bleh.

Perhaps you only get to choose your familiar color if you win something like this? Maybe that isn't good enough. Perhaps a few colors would be exclusive. You want that weird colored monkey or that red and blue parrot? Gotta win it in a difficult event.

Perhaps an elusive fourth animal?
    Rome
    Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
    I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
    [Jun 7, 2006 4:02:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 605   Pages: 21   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates