• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 52
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11691 times and has 51 replies Next Thread
Shandra

[All Oceans] The Olympigs!! Deadline May 4! [Winners Posted] Reply to this Post

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, and Pigs of all ages! I am proud to present to you the Olympigs! (LOL no, thats not a typo!)

Me and my 4 wonderful co-hosts present you with 4 pigtastic mini-events. Feel free to enter all of them or just the ones that you feel best suit yer talents. You do not need to enter all 4 to win. Each mini-event will have its own prize pool (hopefully the same exact prizes for each one!)

Our 4 mini-event coordinators are all brand new to the events arena, all have worked very hard to help me create an event we hope will be remembered for a long time to come. Please, lets all give them a great big round of oinks!

Our first mini-event, Piggy Tales is brought to you by CountCristo.
Avast Storytellers, don't miss the Olympig event, Piggy Tales! Sponsored by and in collaboration with Taco's Olympigs, I am proud to bring you the first ever Olympig storytelling competition, Piggy Tales! All pirates with a creative mind and a knack for storytelling are encouraged to put down your swords and pick up a pen to compete.The competition is a relatively simple one. I'm sure you've all heard the old phrase, "a picture paints a thousand words", well we want to see what kind of story our Olympigans can paint with one thousand words or less using one of our Pirate Piggy Portraits. Using the pictures (see link) as the inspiration, write a story about our Pirate Piggy's.

Our second mini-event, Pig Pen , is brought to you by Gloraelin.
Think you can make a good pigpen? Think you know something about the island editor? Well, here's your chance to prove both, packaged together for your convenience! Using the Yohoho! Tools editor, design the best, most fitting pig pen.... - See thread for the heart-wrenching story of our homeless piggy!

Our third mini-event, Pigasso , is brought to you by Marie7080 (Stampy). The Pigasso event is calling all those pirates who love to draw!! All the wanna-be Pigasso's this be the event for you! We are looking for pigs as pirates!! That's right, pigs doing piratey things! Sailing, drinking, playing hearts, you name it as long as its possible in- game, and you yourself can do it then we wanna see your pigs in action!!

Our fourth and final mini-event, Pigtures , is brought to you by Jsweetie24.
It's time for you lads and lasses to dust off those camera's and get creative with your bad selves (Literally!)
For those of you that can't write, manipulate graphics, or draw, here is your chance to shine. Who can't humiliate themselves? I know I can without even trying very hard. Having said that, I want to see some pictures of YOU with upturned piggy noses! YES! You heard me right, upturned piggy noses. For everyone to have a fair shot at this event, it is solely made up of two very simple ingredients: a pinch of creativity and pound of humor (the funnier the better!!!). We are looking for pigtures that will make us laugh so hard it hurts! Now that I have your attention, let me explain in detail what I want to see.....Yep, you are going to have to check out the thread to see!

Ok mates, that is just the intro to each of these events. Check out the threads for all information, rules, and requirements.

All mini-events have the same deadline of May 4th at 12 PST. I hope I have made it long enough for those of you that want to, to enter more than one of them. You have 3 weeks so get oinking!!

Please go easy on my co-hosts! This is their first time hosting an event and they have all worked very hard. Any beefs with any of it, please contact me via PM. Any cudos with any of it, please post it for all to see!

Now, on to more business. Please keep all questions and comments to this thread, the mini-event threads are for entries only - we dont want those threads to be cluttered up in an effort to ease the judging and spectator viewing processes. If you have a question, please submit it in the following example format:

CountCristo - Piggy Tales
Do we have to stay under the word limit you have imposed?
I wrote my story but it goes over by 20 words, do I need to shorten it up?

CountCriso, and all of the co-hosts (myself included) will be checking this thread regularly so we can get your questions answered as soon as possible.

Prizes!! So far our prize pool is fairly limited. Each mini-event will have the same prize pool unless later determined otherwise.

1st place - Sleeping Pig or Piglet - winners choice on ocean of choice!
2nd place - Trinket - on ocean of choice. I dont know yet which trinket this will be, but im sure it will be pink!

(Each Mini offers ALL of the prizes so there will be 4 piggies etc awarded.)

We are now working hard on expanding the prize pool, and I promise there will be more. Bear with us as we have to see what we can provide in 4s to be available on any ocean. As of right now, im going to say if the person that wins would prefer one of the prizes rated below their placement, they will be able to take that prize instead. Oh, and please please please, when it comes to prize distribution please be patient and bear with us because Im sure some of the prizes will have to be ordered on the ocean of choice based on who wins what and where. I hope that makes sense!

Judging: Each mini-event is taking volunteers to join the judges panel. Feel free to submit a PM to the individual host you would like to judge for - their individual volunteer criteria is posted in their threads. You will not be able to judge more than one mini-event, but feel free to sign up for all of them, we will work together and collaborate on the volunteer lists to select a superb judge line-up for each mini-event.

**Special note**Ok, there are 4 co-hosts, and each event is going to have its own panel of judges. That being said, *IF* you are a judge OR mini-event host, you can NOT enter the specific mini-event you are workin on. HOWEVER, since each mini is being run independently of the others, co-hosts and judges can enter the minis they are NOT working on. I, of course, will not be entering any of them.

Prize donations:Yes!! If you would like to donate a prize to this event, please send me a PM listing what resources you are willing to provide and on which ocean you can provide it. I will not collect any donations until we are sure of where it is needed at - so please, hand nothing over to anyone claiming they are accepting donations for this event. At the same time, please dont volunteer to donate if you wont be available to donate it at the end of this contest - I wont know if I need your donation until the winners are selected! In an effort to keep the prize pool equal for all the minis, poe and/or dub donations would probably be easier for me to work with.

About this event. The Olympigs is my brain child, born of a typo in a tart session on Alpha docks. This idea has been floating around and growing since early March. I came up with the mini-event names, and with some help from Jsweetie, the bare basics of what each mini would entail. I ran a thread taking volunteers to co-host this event with me and this is how I selected CountCristo, Gloraelin, and Stampy. I gave them the mini-event name, and the bones of what I wanted each event to entail. All of them far exceeded my expectations with their own creative genius truly making the minis much better than I could have on my own. Thanks to all 4 of you for your hard work in helping me make this event what it is today. I put this info in here because I dont want anyone to think my co-hosts had nothing to do with the creation of this event. It is what it is because of them. Oinks to all you!!
----------------------------------------
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Edit 11 times, last edit by Shandra at May 9, 2006 1:02:49 PM]
[Apr 13, 2006 12:02:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Re: [All Oceans] The Olympigs!! Deadline May 4! Reply to this Post

This is one of the cutest things I've seen in a long time. Nice work.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Apr 13, 2006 12:50:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
windex_777

Ooo! This sounds like a bunch of fun!
~Redthepirate

"The more you read and observe about this Politics thing, you got to admit that each party is worse than the other. The one that's out always looks the best." ~Will Rogers
[Apr 13, 2006 12:56:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

Yay a new event I can really get into :) I've been trolling the forums waiting for this one. Thanks so much for getting this up and running, and thanks to the four co-hosts!
The Infamous Feline Pirate
Kitt on Cobalt

Rehio says, "Yes, O Mistress"
[Apr 13, 2006 12:58:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
amyjoba

Oh my! I'm so excited about this! I love piggies. You come up with such fun events. I had a blast with the food fight and I'm sure I'll have as fun (if not more) with the pigs. I'm going to be away from the piratey fun all weekend, so this'll give me something to think about!

Oink, Oink!
Arlith

[Apr 13, 2006 12:59:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CountCristo

Just wanted to tell the other mini-event hosts, your events look great!
Cristo-Viridian and occasionally the rest.
[Apr 13, 2006 1:01:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shazwilky

Awesome! This is going to be such a blast. :o)

A question I asked in-game and that should be put here for anyone else that's wondering...

In the Pigtures event, run by Jsweetie, can we use our kids, family, friends or other willing victims for the photo? Does it have to be of ourselves?
Shazbot - Midnight
[Apr 13, 2006 1:48:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Yes, your person-behind-the-pirate DOES need to be at least one of the two in the Pigture.
Taco - teh one and only

[Apr 13, 2006 1:59:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marie7080

Just wanted to tell the other mini-event hosts, your events look great!

As does yours cristo!! and thanks Taco for letting us get involved. i have learnt loads allready and it hasn't even started!!
Stampy
Jade Scorpions

Statistics say that one in 4 people is insane.
Pick three friends, if its not them its you!!
[Apr 13, 2006 3:40:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Svea91

/em hugs shandra. I just love your events. XD

-Svea
Svea, YPP! forum's ultimate bootcher!
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
- Calvin and Hobbes
[Apr 13, 2006 3:47:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Judging
Your pictures will be judged on these 3 categories
Originality - 10
Detail - 10
Humour - 15

So the winning entrant must total 35 points.
In the case of a tie, myself and Taco will confer and decide which one appeals to us the most!! (in other words our favourite of the winning piggys!!)

This concerns me because of all the contests I've judged with point structures, they were always a possibility of X amount of points, closest to those points wins. Very few contests ever hit the maximum points and should not be expected to, after all, nobody is perfect. I'd feel better about entering this contest if the possible point total was 35 and person closest to that number wins, etc. This is not complaining or harping, but positive feedback from an experienced event runner.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Apr 13, 2006 9:10:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CountCristo

This concerns me because of all the contests I've judged with point structures, they were always a possibility of X amount of points, closest to those points wins. Very few contests ever hit the maximum points and should not be expected to, after all, nobody is perfect. I'd feel better about entering this contest if the possible point total was 35 and person closest to that number wins, etc. This is not complaining or harping, but positive feedback from an experienced event runner

I believe that they meant the highest points will be the winner. But, this isn't my mini-event so I can't say for certain.
[Apr 13, 2006 9:19:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

This concerns me because of all the contests I've judged with point structures, they were always a possibility of X amount of points, closest to those points wins. Very few contests ever hit the maximum points and should not be expected to, after all, nobody is perfect. I'd feel better about entering this contest if the possible point total was 35 and person closest to that number wins, etc. This is not complaining or harping, but positive feedback from an experienced event runner.

Aye, the one with the most points will win, but, in the rare chance of a tie, a decision will have to be made. That is what she meant.

-My bad for not catching that winning entrant comment, will make sure it gets changed.
Taco - teh one and only

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shandra at Apr 13, 2006 9:29:51 PM]
[Apr 13, 2006 9:28:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marie7080

Judging
Your pictures will be judged on these 3 categories
Originality - 10
Detail - 10
Humour - 15

So the winning entrant must total 35 points.
In the case of a tie, myself and Taco will confer and decide which one appeals to us the most!! (in other words our favourite of the winning piggys!!)

Yes so sorry was just not typed properly, i never meant that noone will win unless they score 35 points!! It has been rectified, so you can now enter synful!!!! Thanks for pointing it out!!
Stampy
Jade Scorpions

[Apr 14, 2006 8:13:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CountCristo

Piggy Tales has had it's first entry and even more a great story. Nice work Shazbot!

I didn't really specify in the OP but I'm sure someone will ask, feel free to submit a story for each of the pictures, but you can only win one prize. I'll be editing this into the post once I run it by Taco to make sure she agrees.
[Apr 14, 2006 10:27:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Hehe I do intend to enter all of them Stampy!!!
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Apr 14, 2006 11:58:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Hehe I do intend to enter all of them Stampy!!!

Yeehaw!! You go girl!!

I want to thank everyone in advance that enters these fine mini-events we have whipped up for you. I said before this is my co-hosts first time at this, and Im sure a great level of participation will boost their confidence! Hopefully, they will all host more events in the future!
Taco - teh one and only

[Apr 14, 2006 2:03:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CountCristo

I didn't really specify in the OP but I'm sure someone will ask, feel free to submit a story for each of the pictures, but you can only win one prize. I'll be editing this into the post once I run it by Taco to make sure she agrees

I now have the Taco stamp of approval. One entry per picture, but with the limitation of only receiving one prize.
[Apr 14, 2006 2:19:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marie7080

For Jsweetie, (PIGTURES EVENT!)

With the picture/poster board, it says no bigger than a poster board, how big is that??

I wanna enter but i dont wanna be disqualified for it being the wrong size!!

Thanks
Stampy
Jade Scorpions

[Edit 1 times, last edit by marie7080 at Apr 15, 2006 8:46:20 AM]
[Apr 15, 2006 8:45:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I think 3ftx3ft should be reasonable as a size limit - wont be hardcore on that but keep it around that or smaller and you will be fine.
Taco - teh one and only

[Apr 15, 2006 10:38:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inuki

Rules clarification on Pigasso:

I, too, have a graphics tablet that lets me "draw" directly into the computer. I have a pencil sketch that I scanned, but realized after scanning that I needed to redraw a few things to be more visible, and it was easier to do so on the computer. (Silly me, drawing significantly larger than the final...)

So, in the final piece, some lines have been modified, and all the text has been rewritten, on the computer. I have the Photoshop file that pretty clearly shows exactly what I did in the layers, and both "before" and "after" sketch images, and can certainly upload both of the above in addition to a final colored piece.

My question is if that's acceptable. :) Computer coloring was stated as fine, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to digitally edit the scanned sketch (beyond touching up smudges and the like).

Thanks. :)

PS I haven't actually submitted my entry yet... I'm letting it sit for a day or two to think over and maybe touch up. (Just in case someone goes looking and starts wondering where it is!)
Now in a special Hunter flavor.
[Apr 15, 2006 5:06:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
Von_Weber

Is this just a coincidence?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/04/15/bc.pigs.olympics.reut/index.html
[Apr 15, 2006 10:31:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Is this just a coincidence?

http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/europe/04/15/bc.pigs.olympics.reut/index.html

LOL actually yes it is. I was tarting around on Alpha one night and someone said something about the Olympics and I asked something back with the typo Olympigs. -It just grew from there.
Taco - teh one and only

[Apr 15, 2006 11:46:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marie7080

Rules clarification on Pigasso:

I, too, have a graphics tablet that lets me "draw" directly into the computer. I have a pencil sketch that I scanned, but realized after scanning that I needed to redraw a few things to be more visible, and it was easier to do so on the computer. (Silly me, drawing significantly larger than the final...)

So, in the final piece, some lines have been modified, and all the text has been rewritten, on the computer. I have the Photoshop file that pretty clearly shows exactly what I did in the layers, and both "before" and "after" sketch images, and can certainly upload both of the above in addition to a final colored piece.

My question is if that's acceptable. :) Computer coloring was stated as fine, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who'd like to digitally edit the scanned sketch (beyond touching up smudges and the like).

Thanks. :)

PS I haven't actually submitted my entry yet... I'm letting it sit for a day or two to think over and maybe touch up. (Just in case someone goes looking and starts wondering where it is!)

Okies
As long as The event coordinator agrees, i think that as long as a hand sketched picture, with your pirate name and ocean are posted along with your coloured ones and touched up ones, then its fine.
The rule states that hand drawn sketches are entered to ensure that you have actually taken the time to draw something and not actually just pulled a picture from somewhere and signed it!
I also think that when the pictures are judged, the judges should try and use the hand sketches as their main picture to judge!!

I know for myself that i cant use computers at all Im useless with them, and i wanted this event to be open to people like me who cant use graphics and what not! That is why i asked for hand drawn sketches!!
So please please post your hand drawn ones too!!
Stampy
Jade Scorpions

[Apr 16, 2006 2:32:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CountCristo

For those without a scanner, don't forget your cameras mates! You can easily snap a picture on a digital camera or just use a regular camera, even a disposable one, and then have them put onto a computer disk when they are developed. I don't have a scanner either, so thats what I used and it works great.
[Apr 16, 2006 7:53:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deirdrem

I'm assuming ye meant May 4 for the story deadline and not March? In the piggy tails thread that is.
"Who would believe such pleasure from a wee ball o' fur?"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by deirdrem at Apr 17, 2006 1:30:04 PM]
[Apr 17, 2006 1:28:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marie7080

Aye its may not march lol
Stampy
Jade Scorpions

[Apr 17, 2006 2:04:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CountCristo

Oops, sorry, yes it's May, heading over to edit it now.
[Apr 17, 2006 5:28:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deirdrem

Two questions:

1) I entered my avitar in another contest (didn't win:P) and still have the original hand drawn sketch. Can I enter it as one of my drawrings for the pigasso contest?

2) For the Pig Pen contest are we assuming normal pigs here? I'm thinking that cloven feet might have trouble handling cannons and rowboats. Or, is Jane a super pig, able to manipulate opposable thumb gadgets with a single oink?
"Who would believe such pleasure from a wee ball o' fur?"
[Apr 17, 2006 8:08:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
marie7080

Two questions:

1) I entered my avitar in another contest (didn't win:P) and still have the original hand drawn sketch. Can I enter it as one of my drawrings for the pigasso contest?

2) For the Pig Pen contest are we assuming normal pigs here? I'm thinking that cloven feet might have trouble handling cannons and rowboats. Or, is Jane a super pig, able to manipulate opposable thumb gadgets with a single oink?

Not sure about the Pig pen question but for the pigasso event, as long as you sign it then this entry will be fine!
Stampy
Jade Scorpions

[Apr 17, 2006 11:03:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 52   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates