• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 90
Posts: 90   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8144 times and has 89 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

March Madness Familiar Tournaments and Auctions Reply to this Post

March Madness Familiar Tournaments

We have a lot of E2 events on this month, and as a result, the March Madness Familiar Tournaments are *so* mad that they're in April!

Treasure Drop - Saturday 1 Apil, 6:00am PST
  • Turbo
  • 4th Round Halved

Drinking - Saturday 1 April, 6:00am PST
  • Everyone uses a tankard
  • Play to 1500

Swordfighting - Saturday 1 April, 6:00am PST
  • Best of three games
  • Bring your own sword

Times are approximate and may vary by a few minutes, but will be approximately simultaneous on all main oceans. We aim to post tournaments on the board at least thirty minutes prior to the start time. Yes, the tournaments all have the same date. Yes, that's intentional.

All tournaments will have at least a 200,000 poe pot and will cascade arithmetically. All tournaments will be seeded by rating.

The familiar type and coloration for each tournament will be determined at the time the tournament is scheduled.

Familiar Ship Auctions

We enjoyed it so much, we're doing it again! Please read these rules carefully to understand how you may take part in the familiar auctions this month.

Overview

The auctions will be run in the forums. One thread for each ocean will be opened in the Bazaar where all bids will take place. These threads are only for auction bids, and all other posts will be deleted. Questions about the auction format should be posted to this thread.

Bidding will always remain open until 48 hours have passed without a new high bid. Whenever a bid is made, it will need to remain the high bid for two days before being declared the winner. If no other bids are made in this time, the auction will be closed and the winner must pay the winning bid to receive the familiar. However, the earliest possible auction closing time is 11:59pm PST on March 21st, to allow people to see the auction and respond. The auction will not close before this time, no matter how long the current high bid has been in place.

If the winner is unable to pay, the auction will reopen with the previous high bid, and the failed winner will be barred from entering any further bids in the contest. At the discretion of the Oceanmasters, that player may also be barred from entering any future familiar auctions.

If bids continue to come in within the 48 hour window, thereby extending it, the auction will run indefinitely. This means that it is possible the auction will continue beyond the end of the month. There is no predetermined end time for the auction.

Bidding

The familiar auctions are not for pieces of eight. Instead, all bids will be in ships. When you bid, you will bid a certain number of ship points. Then list the number of ships in each class that make the points.

Ship Values:

Sloop - 1
    Cutter - 2
    Merchant Brig - 4
    War Brig - 5
    Merchant Galleon - 7
    War Frigate - 8
    Grand Frigate - 10

You may use any combination of ships to make up the points, and there is no tiebreaking. The first bid recieved for a value will have that value and all subsequent bids must be greater.

For instance, if you wish to bid ten points of ships, you could use one grand frigate; ten sloops; a war frigate and a cutter; a war brig, a merchant brig, and a sloop; or anything else. You must list the number of each type of ship that you are offering, but there is no need to provide ship names in your bids.

If your bid is still the latest bid in the auction, you may edit it, but note that the 48 hour high-bid period will be reset by that edit. If your bid has been followed by another, though, you should post your new bid in a new post. Neither the players nor the auctioneers should be expected to look through earlier posts for a new high bid.

Winner

After the winning bid has been declared, the winner may choose a familiar of any color, except all black or all white. The winner will need the use of an alt (can be a greenie alt if wished) to help with the transfer of deeds and familiar.

Auction threads

Midnight
    Cobalt
    Viridian
    Sage
    ----------------------------------------
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at Mar 13, 2006 1:12:19 PM]
  • [Mar 13, 2006 8:14:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
    ScaryMuffin

Re: March Madness Familiar Tournaments and Auctions Reply to this Post

Best. Settings. EVER.

/me showers Apollo with love.
    No fruitcake of doom for you :D

In fact, I take my hat off to you.

Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
    Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by ScaryMuffin at Mar 13, 2006 9:05:41 AM]
    [Mar 13, 2006 9:04:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    ponytailguy

No bakeoffs?

/em is a sad bakeoff gunner
    The Ghost of Oceans Past
    [Mar 13, 2006 9:45:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Rappak

Wait a tick, April first? You have GOT to be KIDDING me. ;)
    Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
    Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
    [Mar 13, 2006 9:59:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    rixation

I am very, very pleased about all of these settings. Thank you SO much for those T-Drop settings.
    /me gets all anxious.
    Epimetheus
    Retired

[Mar 13, 2006 10:01:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    MrPNurse

Nooooooo, the month before this was the 'We hate Hypnotoad so we'll make rules so he loses, dies horribley, gets wedgied and gets laughed at' Drinking rules :S i wanna see some all Chalice tournys next month >:D that'll show those people who think they need sleep!
    Hypnotoad, Meridian ocean

(Although I have the same name on pretty much all of them.)
    [Mar 13, 2006 10:44:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Shikyo

Wait a tick, April first? You have GOT to be KIDDING me. ;)

Maybe that's when they'll release the newest trinkets: stuffed animals.
    Cassis, Sage
    Evil Mastermind

A quick wit's best accompanied by quick reflexes.
    Save Scrappeh!
    [Mar 13, 2006 11:16:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    ysanne007

I absolutely love the idea of having all the tournies on every oceans at the same time. Pick your ocean, pick your tourney, spread the odds to win better.
    Neerie of the Hunter Ocean
    Formerly known as Reenie and Maeve on Viridian.
    [Mar 13, 2006 11:31:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    rsenkrantz

I absolutely love the idea of having all the tournies on every oceans at the same time. Pick your ocean, pick your tourney, spread the odds to win better.

I as well like the idea of multiple tournies at once (though I hope they don't keep formats the same for too long - it's nice to mix things up every month).

That said, I've been saving poe for familiar auctions for a looooong time. If I need to be buying ships because there's never going to be another poe auction, I hope someone announces it. Not that it really matters in the short term, as it'll take me at least another 6 months to save enough to make a serious bid.
    "You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
    - Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
    -Lisakayela
    [Mar 13, 2006 11:54:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
    Dragonlilly

Quite a few of the better players in the oceans multi-client in tournies like these...

Dragonlilly,
    Not one of those few, but has heard tell...
    Dragonlilly, Captain of SDTC
    A very much retired old sea salt! Or would that be sea saltess?
    Shanty Raid-io!
    [Mar 13, 2006 11:58:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dragonlilly.shantyraidio.com    srdragonlilly    SO+Dragonlilly    101380420 [Link]  Go to top 
    BehindCurtai

4th round halved, with no holes?

Doesn't that guarantee a win for parity?
    "We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
    Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Mar 13, 2006 12:15:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
    rixation

No.
    Epimetheus
    Retired

[Mar 13, 2006 12:21:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Gloraelin

BehindCurtai wrote: 

Almost, but not quite. I've seen quite a few games where the person who had the weight of lever position forgot it was 4th round halved, and just gave up, assuming for the point value of regular.

So... Better than standard, but not a whole lot. I'd say I'd be there, but I won't. I'll be in Colorado Springs judging a tournament. Just don't make me cry by more tarting about TD settings, people.
    Jen wrote: 
    yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
    Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Mar 13, 2006 12:21:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
    NoamB

Yarrr! finally a treasure drop familiar tourney! (without holes of course :P), thank ye ringers, i'm glad ye mates finally listed a tourney i know alot o' mates been looking fer fer the longest time.

i think i'll be making some trainning tourneys every now and then at Midnight (same rules as the familiar tourney), with nice pots and cascading exponentially, so keep posted :)

No, it dosen't.
    Edward,
    Trader & Senior Officer of "Pirates of the Damned"
    Under the flag "Crimson Tide", Midnight ocean.

[Mar 13, 2006 12:38:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    ponytailguy

Uh... there's been a tdrop familiar tourney for the past three months at least. (IIRC)
    The Ghost of Oceans Past
    [Mar 13, 2006 12:42:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Foilistc

Says that you can't chose a familiar that is solid black or white. Since Monkey's are only one color, is it possible to choose White as the first color of the monkey? :)

Foil
    I'm old. I don't look it but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart...
    [Mar 13, 2006 12:57:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.carlknoch.com [Link]  Go to top 
    Inuki

Says that you can't chose a familiar that is solid black or white. Since Monkey's are only one color, is it possible to choose White as the first color of the monkey? :)

No, and ditto that for octopi. Parrots can be half-white and/or half-black, which is why that stipulation is included, but the single-color familiars cannot be black or white. Black is OM-only, and white is OCL.

Anyone checking the Wiki color tables, be warned that the displayed colors there can and do vary somewhat in game and in portraits. Might want to pick two or three colors and politely ask to see what they look like on an OM's shoulder before picking one, if you win.
    Now in a special Hunter flavor.
    [Mar 13, 2006 1:19:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
    Kewene

Treasure Drop - Saturday 1 Apil, 6:00am PST
  • Turbo
  • 4th Round Halved

• Yaay! Finally a TD tourney in which I will be totally awake... I had to wake up at 5:00 AM in the last one and didn't win it T_T

Well... My question was if the tournaments are Best out 2 of 3 or 1 game per match... I guess it is 1 game per match, but I wanna be sure :)

Thanks again!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keweney on Viridian and Sage Ocean!
    Guiido on Jade, Keweney on Sage and Viridian!
    [Mar 13, 2006 1:31:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/index [Link]  Go to top 
    Apollo
    OceanMaster

Keweney wrote: 
    Well... My question was if the tournaments are Best out 2 of 3 or 1 game per match... I guess it is 1 game per match, but I wanna be sure :)
    Aye, unless it says otherwise, it's one game per match.
    [Mar 13, 2006 1:38:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
    evermind

*sigh* All three start exactly the same date and time as SATs for me. Well, good luck everyone else! ^_^
    [Art Commissions - Closed][DeviantArt]
    [Mar 13, 2006 1:55:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    skyscape6 [Link]  Go to top 
    rsenkrantz

*sigh* All three start exactly the same date and time as SATs for me. Well, good luck everyone else! ^_^

Perhaps if you ask nicely the OM's will move the tournies one day earlier so you can completely blow your chances at getting into college.

/end straightening out the priorities of youngsters
    "You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
    - Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
    -Lisakayela
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by rsenkrantz at Mar 13, 2006 2:12:23 PM]
    [Mar 13, 2006 2:12:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
    Shuranthae

*cries* All the cool Mug Tournies happen at bad times for me.
    [Mar 13, 2006 3:08:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Irelay

D'oh! I'm gone allll day the 1st of April.

Scratch off another month with no chance at TD tourney. :(
    Irelay l Otherwhen l Water Sleeps
    Mightnight Ocean pirate since August '04
    [Mar 13, 2006 3:36:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    buzzjunkie

Arg, I'd rather best of 3 in the drinking, but hopefully everyone will go to sf and td, leaving the drinking all to me!
    Buzzjunkie [Retired]
    ----
    [Mar 13, 2006 7:26:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    angel00

*is excited*

I think I will finally be able to join this one! And stay for the whole thing (as long as I don't lose :P)

*makes a suggestion that skull daggers be the set swords in the next familiar sf tourny*
    ~Angellic of Cobalt~
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by angel00 at Mar 13, 2006 9:17:32 PM]
    [Mar 13, 2006 9:14:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Apollo
    OceanMaster

Best. Settings. EVER.

/me showers Apollo with love.
    No fruitcake of doom for you :D

Fruitcake of Doom makes me laugh. Can I have just a tiny bit of Fruitcake of Doom? Thank ye, mate. ;)
    [Mar 14, 2006 2:07:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
    mari_

They are on April 1st - April Fool's Day, say no more.
    Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
    Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
    [Mar 14, 2006 4:43:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    senorita_esp

Apollo wrote:

Fruitcake of Doom makes me laugh. Can I have just a tiny bit of Fruitcake of Doom? Thank ye, mate. ;)

Fruitcake of Doom!
    Chocorose of Cerulean:
    Not too cute to be a pirate.
    Current avatar by Salmon

I collect avatars
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by senorita_esp at Mar 14, 2006 7:07:29 AM]
    [Mar 14, 2006 7:06:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Apollo
    OceanMaster

Yay Fruitcake! *laughs*
    [Mar 14, 2006 1:53:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
    ScaryMuffin

Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
    Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Mar 14, 2006 6:06:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 90   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates