• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 282
Posts: 282   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 29662 times and has 281 replies Next Thread
Shandra

[All Oceans] Taco's Food Fight! [Winners Announced] Reply to this Post

"Taco!" me Mum used to say, "Eat your food! Dont play with it!" Pirates world wide have probably heard the same from their own Mums. "Why not?" I say! Food is fun! I mean really, who *hasn't* made Devils Tower from their mashed potatoes? Well, I am the Mum now and I say play with your food!

Create a piratey sculpture using food! Build a macaroni boat, create a dock scene using cinnamon sticks and salt-dough people! Limited only to your imagination. Any food item may be used. Some leeway will be allowed on using non food items for support and cohesivness (Please ask BEFORE you use it or your entry will be disqualified for improper usage of a non-food item!) Coloring your project has the same food-only limitations. A non-food item, such as a piece of cardboard, is allowed for use as a base for your sculpture. Once your sculpture is complete, photograph it, submit your pictures along with a list of ingredients, and a brief description of techniques used. (Please refer to the submission guidelines below.)

RULES
Creations do need to be game related. Building the Titanic out of marshmallows would be nice, but alas, not game related.

Although not required I highly recommend you take a couple pictures of your project in its creation phase in case your entry is challenged on adherance to the rules.

While most people don't generally eat them, items such as banana peels, pineapple tops, orange rinds etc will be allowed. *When in doubt, ask before you use something*

Mold - I have two stances on mold. *IF* mold, or otherwise rotting food is the intended effect you are looking for to in some way enhance your sculpture, it will be allowed. If mold growth appears to be something like.."Oops, I left it out too long and it's growing hair" I am liable to suggest you go back to the building block and start over.

PICTURES - You must submit at least 2 pictures (more are optional) of your sculpture to capture different angles and perhaps special details. If you do not have digital photo capabilites, run to your local discount store or corner gas station, purchase a one-time-use disposable camera. Take your pictures then get them developed at a one-hour photo processing center -they will usually put your pictures on a CD at low cost. If you are unsure how to post your pictures, send me a PM, I can link you to a photo webhost.

*Non-food items. As suggested above, some non-food items will be allowed on a case by case basis for support and/or cohesivness to the project. If you wish to use a non-food item, submit a PM to me explaining what you want to use, why you feel you need to use it, and exactly how it will be used. I will check my PMs at least 3 times a day with the exception of the 6th, 7th, and 8th of March (I will be moving during this time and not have computer access). My sister will check my PMs during this time frame and call me to answer any of your questions.

Have had a couple people ask me pretty much the same question, so I will clarify here. Feel free to use anything non-food you like to help shape, mold, or sculpt your project so long as it is removed before your pictures are taken.

Submission Guidelines

All contestants must submit their entries between the 24th of February and the 17th of March - by 9 pm PST. At 9:01 I will post to the forum that no more entries may be submitted. Any submissions after that point will not be judged.

Include a list of all ingredients used, and a brief description of techniques used.

Due to cheating issues I must now insist you write your pirate name on an index card or other small piece of paper and set it next to your sculpture for the pictures.

Include a list of the prizes you would like in the order you would like them. If you win, but I can't contact you in a timely manner, you will get the first one available based on your winning position. (LOL don't make me pick your prize for you if I can't get hold of you!) -Your list will not be "concrete", its just what I will go by if I have to.

You must include your pirate name and the ocean on which you commonly reside! I will not attempt to guess who you are from your forum name!

I have been asked if participants can create more than one entry and therefore possibly win more than once. Here is my ruling on that. More power to ya! If you think you have what it takes feel free to try! HOWEVER - if you do submit 2 entires, they must be different from each other. You cant use any part of one to enhance your second.

*Mates, lets keep this contest clean! If your sculpture is in any way sexual in nature, you WILL be disqualifed immediately and your entry removed from the post.

Judging:

Using a point-based system - Entrants will be judged on originality 10 points, asthetic appeal 5 points, and creative food usage 10 points .

If you would like to be a judge, send me a PM with the following information: Your pirate name, the ocean you reside on, and why you think you would make a good judge. I will select the judges from the volunteer pool around the 1st of March.

Judges need to be available to look over all entries on the 18th of March and submit to me -via PM- by the morning of the 19th the point value they assign to each entry. I will tally the points and post the winners (as soon as I possibly can) on the 19th.

Not a contestant? Not a judge? Still want in on the fun? Post your vote on the forums for your favorite entry! The contestant that wins the popular vote on the forum will receive a blue/white fancy ribbon.

Prizes!
Winners will get to select the prize of their choice in the order they place.

War Brig - Lucky Bass (Rename coming soon)
Sword - any sword, any colors - 50k price limit (no, you wont get the "extra" POE if there is any)
Cutter - Chilly Dogfish
Couples Portrait (with copy)
Choice of an appearance changing elixer
Sloop - Pork Chop
35k - Donations permitting this will be increased and possibly buy some other nifty prize.
Sloop - Bean Burrito
42 Dubs **
42 Dubs **

Trinkets! White shell, yellow rose
Other prizes to be determined

** All prizes EXCEPT the Dubs will be prized out on any ocean. I am buying the dubs with the intention they will be used for a free months subscription. - This still makes them usable by anyone and doesnt change their intended purpose.

Prize Donators:
Yelwlobeard - 10k
Angorella - 5k
Blarnybill - 10k
Jimmyd - 10k
Jsweetie - 4k
Cdnlife - 10k
Dolphines - 35,250
Uriko - 1k
Yodeler - 2,200
Wadi - 1k
Yelena - 1k
Bloodworthy - 10k and sloop Plain Spot (now renamed to Bean Burrito)
Creux - sloop Arrogant Sprat (now renamed to Pork Chop)
Apatchebeard - 50k
Crew - Phoenix Fury - 2 shanghais!! (used to rename the Sprat)
----------------------------------------
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Edit 17 times, last edit by Shandra at Mar 19, 2006 8:22:30 AM]
[Feb 20, 2006 9:52:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Re: [All Oceans] Taco's Food Fight! Reply to this Post

*Judging Update*

Ok mates, here is how the judges will be scoring you:

Scoring
I have made it so a total of 25 points are possible.
10 for originality
5 for asthetic appeal (is it pretty?)
10 for original food usage

The entry you feel is the most original would probably get the full 10 points, then you would point the other entries in comparison to that one. (Feel free to categorize the entries for this part..ie Boats, Island Overviews, Pirate scenes etc) If 2 people submit an entry depicting a sloop, the first one would probably score better here than the second.

Asthetic Appeal - Is it pretty? 5 = yes, 1 = no. And 4,3, and 2 are somewhere in between.

Original food usage. What Im looking for here is variety. Who used very original items and hopefully a large selection of items that are unique to their sculpture.

It would be very easy for one entry to score a 10 in originality but only a 4 in original food usage. If its the first island scene, it would probably score well for originality but if its the 10th submission with graham crackers and broccoli it wouldnt score high in original food usage.

*Extra Info*
I will NOT be judging this contest. I will serve as the technical advisor, idea suggestor, tie breaker, and if needed, entry disqualifier.

Therefore, if ye have an idea and need a suggestion or two on how to pull it off, send me a PM! I have lots of ideas that Im willing to share. -However, I will NOT give you anything close to a complete project idea.
Taco - teh one and only

[Edit 4 times, last edit by Shandra at Feb 25, 2006 8:32:38 PM]
[Feb 20, 2006 9:53:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Creux

omg omg omg i cant wait :D this is gonna be fun! :D Great idea Taco!
[Feb 20, 2006 10:15:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemesis
OceanMaster

Are the prizes available for every ocean? Just want to make absolutely sure before this is added to the news!
Hera says, "I wish I was awesome enough to be on #TeamEvil!"
Later...
Hera says, "And the sorry thing is, I can't remember if I said, or didn't say, that."
----------------------------
[Feb 21, 2006 6:30:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Aye, this is my entry for the E2 - Artemis said prizes can be transferred to all oceans.
Taco - teh one and only

[Feb 21, 2006 9:44:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
konck1

can you win more then once with more then one sculpture or is it one entry one win or many entrys only win once type a thing?
Ruthless Balla 4 Real
[Feb 21, 2006 11:47:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    overlyclever [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Hmm, I havent thought that far ahead (silly me, I always forget something). So give me a day or two - check the original post - will have an answer to your question.
Taco - teh one and only

[Feb 21, 2006 12:52:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

Aww this is such a cute contest!I hope I get time to enter.. so much to do, so little time!
The Infamous Feline Pirate
Kitt on Cobalt

Rehio says, "Yes, O Mistress"
[Feb 21, 2006 12:59:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
Bensurman

As for glue or other adhesive what restriction (if any) are in place?
It has become increasingly difficult to keep anyhtign of moderate complexity together lol.... Just wondering if hot glue, or tape would be allowed?
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
-Benjerman "Bens Your Man"
[Feb 21, 2006 5:38:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

As for glue or other adhesive what restriction (if any) are in place?
It has become increasingly difficult to keep anyhtign of moderate complexity together lol.... Just wondering if hot glue, or tape would be allowed?

*Non-food items. As suggested above, some non-food items will be allowed on a case by case basis for support and/or cohesivness to the project. If you wish to use a non-food item, submit a PM to me explaining what you want to use, why you feel you need to use it, and exactly how it will be used.
Taco - teh one and only

[Feb 21, 2006 5:42:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
konck1

and what about originiality if i post something first then someone copys it exactly but adds like 1 or 2 things who would win?
Ruthless Balla 4 Real
[Feb 21, 2006 6:58:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    overlyclever [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

and what about originiality if i post something first then someone copys it exactly but adds like 1 or 2 things who would win?

Well, since originality is 10 out of 25 possible points, I would say s/he who posts it first stands a better chance of getting those points.

Reason #1 to not wait until the last minute to post yer entries!
Taco - teh one and only

[Feb 21, 2006 7:11:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
konck1

Man one might think its relitivly easy to make a war brig out of gram crackers and bananas but let me tell you.... well actually i dont need to the pictures speak for themselves

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/Konck1/IMG_5487.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/Konck1/IMG_5489.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/Konck1/IMG_5488.jpg
Ruthless Balla 4 Real
[Feb 22, 2006 7:25:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    overlyclever [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

I can't wait to enter this one! I have my scene planned out, just gotta wait for payday to purchase the food for this. I might even supply some pics of us eating my entry! Harr!!

Oh here's a tip, squeeze some lemon juice on your bananas to keep them from turning brown so quickly and going to mush.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Feb 22, 2006 8:19:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
1shtar

Man one might think its relitivly easy to make a war brig out of gram crackers and bananas but let me tell you.... well actually i dont need to the pictures speak for themselves

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/Konck1/IMG_5487.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/Konck1/IMG_5489.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v35/Konck1/IMG_5488.jpg

Bwahahahaha! *is giggling so hard right now*

I feel your pain... if only you could see the giant lump of rock candy I have instead of a nice, flat, clear layer of poured sugar.

I don't even want to ask about the hot glue gun.
[Feb 22, 2006 8:48:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

LOL I wasnt brave enough to take pictures of my first attempt. Im still working on my sample entry attempt #2, hopefully will have something done by tomorrow.

(Bleh, im a failure in my own contest =/ Time doesnt allow me to give it any more attention due to my impending move.)
Taco - teh one and only

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shandra at Feb 25, 2006 3:53:41 PM]
[Feb 22, 2006 8:48:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
konck1

your not acctualy going to try and win your own contest tho correct?
Ruthless Balla 4 Real
[Feb 22, 2006 9:54:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    overlyclever [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

No no, Im just producing a *sample entry* - it will certainly not be judged. Of course if my second attempt fails as bad as the first did, Im going to give up, really gotta focus on getting my house packed up and painted before I move.

-As noted in the original post, I am moving from Texas to Tennessee and will be unavailable from the 6th til sometime on the 8th (maybe 9th). My sister will be checking my PMs for me and calling me with any of the contestant questions. So, I will be here but via my sister.
Taco - teh one and only

[Feb 22, 2006 10:11:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tamsin

Mmm. One of my favorite mediums to work in. Since I assume we're not allowed to enter past projects/contest entries - you're more than welcome to check out the Edible sloop I built for Bluetta's Physical Manifestations contest if you're lookin' for a reference. The image links are all expired, and I can't edit the original post, so I reposted some links here. Be advised it does contain structural support, and a few candy wrappers...so it may not be completely legal under Taco's rules. Still, good for ideas? No? Snacking? Perhaps. :)

The view from above.
Hello, sloop!
Mast detail
Top deck
Limes.
Some tasty-looking bilge.

G'luck and happy crafting! I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone cooks up! Remember that royal icing is your friend.

psst...Konck...Love the catamaran look! You might try gumdrops too...good connectors + solid structural support. :)
It's gingerbread and we love it.
[Feb 22, 2006 11:17:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Be advised it does contain structural support, and a few candy wrappers...so it may not be completely legal under Taco's rules. Still, good for ideas? No? Snacking? Perhaps. :)

This is an excellent reference for ideas. Thanks Tamsin for posting it!
Taco - teh one and only

[Edit 3 times, last edit by Shandra at Feb 22, 2006 7:16:25 PM]
[Feb 22, 2006 11:33:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
konck1

dammmmmnnn thats sooo good.... now i cant really do it tho cus A) yours is so good and B) you already did that C) thats SOOOOO GOOOD
Ruthless Balla 4 Real
[Feb 22, 2006 11:59:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    overlyclever [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

dammmmmnnn thats sooo good.... now i cant really do it tho cus A) yours is so good and B) you already did that C) thats SOOOOO GOOOD

Hers is NOT an entry in the contest. She submitted that into a different one so it will have no bearing on the judging. However, if you do the exact same thing it might affect your originality scoring.
Taco - teh one and only

[Feb 22, 2006 12:08:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Drusilla

A question on the finer points of dying our creations:

Must we make our own dyes, or are we allowed to use edible food-coloring and artificially colored pre-fabricated products? Since, yanno, there's no such thing as blue food.
Avast! Jesus were a leopard.
[Feb 22, 2006 1:57:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    drusilla_ypp    raspberryjamdeg [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

A question on the finer points of dying our creations:

Must we make our own dyes, or are we allowed to use edible food-coloring and artificially colored pre-fabricated products? Since, yanno, there's no such thing as blue food.

Food coloring is perfectly acceptable as are the artificially colored pre-fabricated products as long as they are food.
Taco - teh one and only

[Feb 22, 2006 2:07:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tyler21796

This is the greatest event ever

I wanted to make sometin puzzle piratey out of my food for the longest time but with no acctual goal now I have a goal to be the greatest Pirate food sculpter in the WORLD.
lol
**--(Sworder) CI addicted Wench of Hunter--**

Croft wrote: 
IF YOU DON,T LIKE IT DON,T READ IT!!!

[Feb 23, 2006 9:47:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    monkeyman21796 [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

Peanut Butter and Toothepaste are good for gluing :-P
[Feb 23, 2006 10:23:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Peanut Butter and Toothepaste are good for gluing :-P

I agree on the Peanut Butter, but I gotta nix the toothpaste. Its not in any way shape or form designed to be eaten.

Flour and water mixed properly dries like concrete. Im sure if yall search the web you could find many many recipes for homemade paste.
Taco - teh one and only

[Feb 23, 2006 10:27:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

This is the greatest event ever

I wanted to make sometin puzzle piratey out of my food for the longest time but with no acctual goal now I have a goal to be the greatest Pirate food sculpter in the WORLD.
lol

Well thank ye Tyler! I wish ye the best of luck!
Taco - teh one and only

[Feb 23, 2006 10:28:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Consider how popcorn balls are made :p
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Feb 23, 2006 12:16:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
konck1

with a microwave?
Ruthless Balla 4 Real
[Feb 23, 2006 12:28:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    overlyclever [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 282   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates