• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 86
Posts: 86   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 8386 times and has 85 replies Next Thread
Bia
OceanMaster

[Cobalt] Bilging Bake-off - Win an Octopus

Date: Monday, February 20
Time: 5pm, PST
Event Host: Minthe
Participation limit: 96

Rules:
  • Thirty minutes before the start of the event, Minthe will begin jobbing entrants on board the grand frigate the Grand Bilgefish.
  • After the participation limit has been filled, 48 pirates will switch to Grand Ratfish with Io.
  • The two ships will leave port and engage each other in sea battle. There will be three preliminary rounds.
  • In each preliminary round, 16 pirates on each ship will play the bilging puzzle. Each preliminary round will last for 20 sea battle turns. One ship will fire a cannonball each turn to mark time.
  • Players who are not taking a turn on the bilging puzzle will be strongly encouraged to help out by playing the carpentry puzzle to keep things even for the bilgers.
  • When the ship returns to port, the duty report listing will determine who proceeds to the semi-finals. The top two pirates on each ship in each round will continue to the semi-finals.
  • In addition, all other pirates who score an Incredible in a preliminary round will be put into a wild-card lottery. After all preliminary rounds, a random selection of 4 pirates from this lottery will continue to the semi-finals
  • All 16 players in the semi-finals will board the Grand Bilgerat to play the bilging puzzle. The semi-finals will last for 30 turns.
  • The top 3 pirates from the semi-finals will continue to the finals. The finals will last for 50 turns.

Disclaimers:
    In the event of lower than expected participation, the number of rounds may be reduced. Likewise the number who continue on to the semi-finals and finals may change.

Judges:
    I will need five assistants for the event. If you are interested in helping out, please send me a Private Message stating your interest. Those who assist may not compete in the event. Assistants must be able to join the event crew and be promoted to officer. Assistants will be required to gun quickly for long periods of time. A standing of Grand-Master at the gunnery puzzle is required.

Prizes:
    First prize
    An Aqua Octopus

Other places may choose a prize for any tier they fit into. The second and third place finishers may choose a prize from any of the three tiers. The fifteenth place finisher may choose any prize in the third tier.

Tier 1 (2nd, 3rd)
  • Outfit: Any top, bottom, hat (except crown/tiara), boots. Any primary colours except gold or black, gold or black may be secondary colours.
  • Pig
  • Tortoise
  • Fancy Ribbon Trinket

Tier 2 (2nd through 8th)
  • Outfit: Any top, bottom, hat, boots that do not use fine cloth. Any primary colours except gold or black, gold or black may be secondary colours.
  • Sloop <adjective> Ratfish
  • Portrait with an Oceanmaster of your choice (no Developers)
  • Ribbon Trinket

Tier 3 (2nd through 16th)
  • Outfit: Bandana, Stripey Shirt, Knickers. Any colour combinations.
  • Handkerchief Trinket
    ----------------------------------------
    [Edit 3 times, last edit by Bia at Feb 20, 2006 3:38:19 AM]
  • [Feb 3, 2006 5:38:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    query

Re: [Cobalt] Bilging Bake-off - Win an Octopus

Woo! Count me in!
    If I weren't such a refined lady, I'd beat the crap out of you. ~ Doris Wodsworth/Washington/Waverley/Wilgus

[Feb 3, 2006 2:43:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.riddlersrealm.com [Link]  Go to top 
    Inuki

How will damage control be handled? By off-shift competitors? This is really the only duty puzzle where another station can significantly affect performance, because if the water starts pouring in from high damage, strategy and scoring for bilge change.

It's not spelled-out, and it probably should be, no matter what the plans. :)
    Now in a special Hunter flavor.
    [Feb 3, 2006 3:19:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
    VPeric

Last bilge-off I was on (on Cobalt, even) had max bilge for the ending round (damage was kept in control untill then). Everyone agreed that was a nice touch to make it somewhat "harder", and more fair. :)
    Wlada, Former King of Bloody Hell and former Captain of Sudden Death, Cobalt.
    Vlada, Officer of the Rudder Royals, Azure.
    [Feb 4, 2006 1:42:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Inuki

I probably should have phrased it a bit differently... I'm not trying to assume that damage will be controlled, or at least not trying to come across that way. I just think it should be clearly stated how it will be handled, either way - if it's going to be carped down at all, by who, when, or how any potentially significant imbalance in damage levels will be accounted for.

I'm thinking mostly in the prelims, where it sounds to me like each ship will be used in several rounds of competition - if the damage isn't handled, it'll be different for each prelim round. (Though full damage for everyone would be equally fair!)

Hope that clarifies what I'm asking, and why. :)
    Now in a special Hunter flavor.
    [Feb 4, 2006 1:58:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
    Bia
    OceanMaster

For the preliminary rounds, we shall do our best to have everyone not playing the bilging puzzle work on carpentry to keep things even. This is less of a concern for the semi-finals and finals.
    [Feb 4, 2006 3:52:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Sprtn_117

i sure will be in this event!
    Cptnosdn On Cerulean
    I Want To Own A Giant Fleet Of Longships...
    [Feb 8, 2006 5:31:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    SlickPimp

*Cracks his knuckles* Piece of cake.
    George Johnston
    http://www.biovox.com

Molech
    Midnight Ocean
    [Feb 9, 2006 11:32:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.biovox.com    BiovoxMacros [Link]  Go to top 
    kenneh

Bilge Buddy wrote: 
    *Cracks his knuckles* Piece of cake.

As long as you remember to turn it off when you're supposed to carp. ;)
    Sink
    the closest some pirates will ever get to the real thing.

yah not a frig, sum peeple ar so stupid!!!

[Feb 9, 2006 11:46:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    rsenkrantz

I'm hoping this means the ringers have figured out some way to ID bilgebuddy users either at the time or shortly afterwards.

I'm not the best at bilge, but I've got the ult, so I'll be there on the chance that everyone better than me dc's.
    "You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
    - Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
    -Lisakayela
    [Feb 9, 2006 11:52:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
    Demonyaj

I'm not the best at bilge, but I've got the ult, so I'll be there on the chance that everyone better than me dc's.
    Sounds like as good a justification as any to show. :)
    I'm more intrigued to see what style of ultimate bilge wins this competition- the smooth and consistent bingos and 4x4's, or the more explosive sea donkey and vegas clears.
    Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
    [Feb 9, 2006 11:54:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    SlickPimp

Tee-hee
    George Johnston
    http://www.biovox.com

Molech
    Midnight Ocean
    [Feb 9, 2006 12:42:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.biovox.com    BiovoxMacros [Link]  Go to top 
    rsenkrantz

Sounds like as good a justification as any to show. :)
    I'm more intrigued to see what style of ultimate bilge wins this competition- the smooth and consistent bingos and 4x4's, or the more explosive sea donkey and vegas clears.

Is there anyone that, having found a sea donkey or vegas, would make the conscious choice to bingo it instead? I find a sea donkey once in a blue moon, and I've only done a vegas once. But I can bingo all night long.
    "You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
    - Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
    -Lisakayela
    [Feb 9, 2006 1:44:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
    num104

I'm in.

Raina
    Cobalt

Raina - Captain of Deliverance on Hunter

Raina - Cobalt
    Sparrkle - Midnight
    Raina - Viridian
    Raina - Sage
    Rainaa - Indigo
    [Feb 9, 2006 7:20:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Demonyaj

Is there anyone that, having found a sea donkey or vegas, would make the conscious choice to bingo it instead? I find a sea donkey once in a blue moon, and I've only done a vegas once. But I can bingo all night long.
    It depends. If it takes you 2 moves to get the bingo and 12 to get the sea donkey, which is better? I'm just interested because I've been practicing pulling donkeys out of weak setups and it's been working really well.
    [Feb 10, 2006 6:46:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    ponytailguy

I'm hoping this means the ringers have figured out some way to ID bilgebuddy users either at the time or shortly afterwards.

Well, the guy who wrote Bilge Buddy seems to have been extremely co-operative. He may well have turned over a customer list, and since the program is bound to the computer it's used on...
    The Ghost of Oceans Past
    [Feb 10, 2006 7:08:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Sarnlest

count me (Poot on cobalt) in :)
    Monak of the Midnight Ocean, Poot of the Cobalt Ocean
    I first knew poots as monsters from D&D that a friend made up. They are 2 foot long green psychic slugs that say poot by rubbing their minds against the air.
    [Feb 10, 2006 5:47:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    charruth

Will this be on the mission board?
    [Feb 10, 2006 8:09:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Bia
    OceanMaster

Will this be on the mission board?

No. You must send Minthe a tell to get jobbed aboard the ship.
    [Feb 10, 2006 8:20:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    smish

I'm more of a Viridian person.. but i'll give it a go..
    Whipleash.
    (\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )
    This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination!
    [Feb 12, 2006 5:18:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    BehindCurtai

One ship will fire a cannonball each turn to mark time.

Assistants will be required to gun quickly for long periods of time. A standing of Grand-Master at the gunnery puzzle is required.

Alright, no call for carping assistants.

And, if you are just firing one shot from one ship each turn, alternating, you only need to load one gun every two rounds. That's almost trivial.

Query: Will the ships be firing at each other to mark the time?

EDIT: Also, the concern about bilge level increasing -- with that many strong bilgers, won't it stay dry with full damage?
    "We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
    Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Edit 1 times, last edit by BehindCurtai at Feb 12, 2006 6:10:51 PM]
    [Feb 12, 2006 6:10:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
    TianX9

Demonyaj wrote: 

I'm fairly sure those that can manage both will have an advantage. ;)

And is double clienting frowned upon? As in, double bilging to take advantage of the random incredible lottery (if you can manage two increds).
    [Feb 13, 2006 2:38:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    query

TianX9 wrote: 
    Demonyaj wrote: 

I'm fairly sure those that can manage both will have an advantage. ;)

And is double clienting frowned upon? As in, double bilging to take advantage of the random incredible lottery (if you can manage two increds).

Yes, double clienting is frowned upon. That's cheating, and it prevents some from entering. It's one of the reasons they now run the familiar tourneys all at once. I do believe that you can get DQ'd from the tourney if you try to double client.
    If I weren't such a refined lady, I'd beat the crap out of you. ~ Doris Wodsworth/Washington/Waverley/Wilgus

[Feb 13, 2006 3:09:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.riddlersrealm.com [Link]  Go to top 
    Bia
    OceanMaster

That is correct. If you have more than one person on the same network who wishes to take part, you must notify me of this. You must also compete in the same preliminary round.

If you do not do so, and I notice any IP address similarity between two contestants, both will be immediately disqualified.

If I find that multiple players are attempting to abuse the system, I will ignore the lottery entirely and proceed to the semi-finals with just twelve players.

You have one chance. Use it to give the best single score you can get.
    [Feb 13, 2006 3:38:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Synful

I'm a little concerned about the carpentry portion. As you may remember, I cannot do that carpentry puzzle at all and I don't want it to look like I just don't like the puzzle or don't want to do it, is there something else I can do when its not my round?
    The name is Synful.
    ------------------------
    [Feb 13, 2006 4:20:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Shh

I like lots of damage. The more, the better. "9 crabs cleared!"

Yeah baby!

(Edited to add: Jeez Bia, you are super buff!)

Sadly, the "casting off of chains of oppression" is also now a puzzle. It's pretty hard.

Emerson,
    T.I.T.S.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shh at Feb 13, 2006 4:26:07 AM]
    [Feb 13, 2006 4:24:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    kamakassee

Is it frowned upon to use an alt with able standing in bilge in order to make the incred process easyer?

Or will there be a minimum standing required to enter?
    Tolak on the Cobalt Ocean

[Feb 13, 2006 7:46:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Demonyaj

I'm sure you can use an alt with any standing, but all prior bakeoff results have pointed to people with ultimates at the time of the bakeoff winning, as a note.
    [Feb 13, 2006 7:50:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    rixation

Given the time you must keep your indicator sparkling for each round, it's more difficult to actually use an Able alt if you want the consistency that it takes to win. With an Ult, you stay sparkling longer, even with smaller breaks in between Bingos.

My question is, will there be limitations or bans against people who don't want a prize, but still prevent others from competing? (IE: Shur in the Sage sailing bakeoff)
    Epimetheus
    Retired

[Feb 13, 2006 7:55:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    rsenkrantz

Given the time you must keep your indicator sparkling for each round, it's more difficult to actually use an Able alt if you want the consistency that it takes to win. With an Ult, you stay sparkling longer, even with smaller breaks in between Bingos.

My question is, will there be limitations or bans against people who don't want a prize, but still prevent others from competing? (IE: Shur in the Sage sailing bakeoff)

How in the heck would you gauge that intention in advance rix? Fill out a questionaire? Take a personality test? Not let Shur play? Craziness; anyone who wants to should compete.
    - Loola

-Lisakayela
    [Feb 13, 2006 8:45:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 86   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates