• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 131
Posts: 131   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 14754 times and has 130 replies Next Thread
Bia
OceanMaster

[All Oceans] February Familiar Tournaments and Auctions Reply to this Post

Midnight Madness Familiar Tournaments

Treasure Drop - Sunday, February 12, 12:01am PST
  • Best of Three
  • Holes
  • Turbo
  • 4th Round Halved

Drinking - Sunday, February 19, 12:01am PST
  • Best of Three
  • Everyone uses a Pitcher
  • Play to 1500

Swordfighting - Sunday, February 26, 12:01am PST
  • Best of Three
  • Random Cutlass

Times are approximate and may vary by a few minutes. All oceans will have simulatneous familiar tournaments. Tournaments will be posted on the board at least thirty minutes prior to the start time.

All tournaments will have a 300,000 piece of eight pot and will cascade arithmetically. All tournaments will be seeded by rating.

The familiar type and colouration for each tournament will be determined at the time the tournament is scheduled.

Familiar Ship Auctions

Please read these rules carefully to understand how you may take part in the familiar auctions this month.

Overview

The auctions will be run in the forums. One thread for each ocean will be opened in the Bazaar where all bids will take place. These threads are only for auction bids, and all other posts will be deleted. Questions about the auction format should be posted to this thread.

Once bidding is open it will remain open until 48 hours have passed without a bid. Whenever a bid is made, it will need to remain the high bid for two days before being declared the winner. If no other bids are made in this time, the auction will be closed and the winner must pay the winning bid to receive the familiar.

If the winner is unable to pay, the auction will reopen with the previous high bid. Also, the failed winner will be barred from entering any further bids in the contest. At the discretion of the Oceanmasters, that player may also be barred from entering any future familiar auctions.

If bids continue to come in within the 48 hour window, thereby extending it, the auction will run indefinitely. This means that it is possible the auction will continue beyond the end of the month. There is no predetermined end time for the auction.

Edit: The auction will not end before 11:59pm, PST, February 7, in order to allow the word to spread. (So any bids placed before 11:59pm, PST, February 5 will have a larger window.)

Bidding

The familiar auctions are not for pieces of eight. Instead, all bids will be in ships. When you bid, you will bid a certain number of ship points. Then list the number of ships in each class that make the points.

Ship Values:

Sloop - 1
    Cutter - 2
    Merchant Brig - 4
    War Brig - 5
    Merchant Galleon - 7
    War Frigate - 8
    Grand Frigate - 10

You may use any combination of ships to make up the points, and there is no tiebreaking. The first bid recieved for a value will have that value and all subsequent bids must be greater.

For instance, if you wish to bid ten points of ships, you could use one grand frigate; ten sloops; a war frigate and a cutter; a war brig, a merchant brig, and a sloop; or anything else. But you must list the ships in your bid when you make it. Ship names are required.

Posted bids may be edited, however the deadline will then be 48 hours after the last edit. If your bid has been followed by another, post a new bid in a new post. Do not expect that the auctioneers nor other players will go back in the thread to see a new bid from you. For the most part edits will be ignored.

Winner

After the winning bid has been declared, the winner may choose a familiar of any colour, except all black or all white.

Auction threads

Midnight
    Cobalt
    Viridian
    Sage
    ----------------------------------------
    [Edit 3 times, last edit by Bia at Feb 1, 2006 5:19:10 AM]
  • [Feb 1, 2006 3:39:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Jacktheblack

Re: [All Oceans] February Familiar Tournaments and Auctions Reply to this Post

Will anything extra be added for ships that have been renamed?
    [Feb 1, 2006 4:22:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
    Synful

I love the idea of the ship auctions!

Why should renames have special value? A ship is a ship no matter its name. Its all going to go poof! I can understand how someone feels their ship is more valuable to them because of a neat name(and I have mostly renames) but in this particular circumstance I don't feel there should be extra credit for them.

Oh, one question! Is there a minimum bid to begin?
    The name is Synful.
    ------------------------
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Synful at Feb 1, 2006 5:13:45 AM]
    [Feb 1, 2006 5:11:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Bia
    OceanMaster

Renames are no more valuable than normal ships. Use standard named ships. Get rid of all those sloops clogging up your inventory. Your renames ships should be special.
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Bia at Feb 1, 2006 5:15:15 AM]
    [Feb 1, 2006 5:14:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    rixation

Okay, honestly now, what's with the TD Holes familiar tourneys? Even with all the tarting about it last month, we get that crap again? Ugh.
    Epimetheus
    Retired

[Feb 1, 2006 5:56:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Talisker

Okay, honestly now, what's with the TD Holes familiar tourneys? Even with all the tarting about it last month, we get that crap again? Ugh.

I learned that Tdroppers are whiny people. I'm not exactly thrilled with the tournament format for my preferred game, but I don't stalk familiar threads complaining about it.
    Leif
    The Forums
    Gunnermooch wrote: 
    I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
    [Feb 1, 2006 7:51:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Thundersong

Thank you for making them good times for Europeans =D
    [Feb 1, 2006 8:53:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Tiernan

Ungrateful.........

Can we assume that you won't be participating in this then, since it is "crap"?
    [Feb 1, 2006 9:03:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    rixation

Can we assume that you won't be participating in this then, since it is "crap"?

Yes, that would be a valid assumption.

In all fairness though, you could assume the same thing for every familiar tourney this month anyway since they're at 3:01am EST on a Sunday morning. Some people have church and other early-morning obligations which will prevent them from attending.
    Epimetheus
    Retired

[Feb 1, 2006 9:11:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    B_licker

Are the familiar tournaments going to conflict with any scheduled reboots? I don't remember when they are on each ocean, but I know Cobalt reboots at 2 AM every few days. It seems like a reboot could very easily come before the finals of a large familiar drinking tourney that started at midnight.
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by B_licker at Feb 1, 2006 9:19:33 AM]
    [Feb 1, 2006 9:17:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Parthanos

Shoppe deeds: 500 points.

Come on, you know you want to:)
    Long retired, mostly expired

Angelmarie tells you, "*nods* I know. :) La Giustazia Inpronouncable.... ;)"
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Parthanos at Feb 1, 2006 9:58:37 AM]
    [Feb 1, 2006 9:58:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    AlaskanParamedic@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
    Talisker

Shoppe deeds: 500 points.
    Come on, you know you want to:)

Shoppes should so be an option. Only at like 30 points, tops, but still an option.
    Leif
    The Forums
    Gunnermooch wrote: 
    I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
    [Feb 1, 2006 10:13:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Flib

this familiar ship auction stuff sounds great...
    unfortunately i only have 2 sloops and you aren't havng either of them. heheh

-Flib
    carefully not pointing out Bia's spelling mistake
    Flibber / Flib of Cobalt
    Prometheus says, "Arr! UPS"
    [Feb 1, 2006 10:16:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.flib.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
    KingKirby2

My guess is the ship thing will take at least a war frig and 10 to 15 war brigs or merchant brigs, with a few sloops and cutters thrown in. That should add up to about 1.5 million poes worth.
    KingKirby on Hunter
    [Feb 1, 2006 10:52:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    rixation

My guess is the ship thing will take at least a war frig and 10 to 15 war brigs or merchant brigs, with a few sloops and cutters thrown in. That should add up to about 1.5 million poes worth.

Given that the first bid on Midnight's auction thread is worth approximately 1.1 million, and we still have another 27 days left in this month, I'd say you're possibly a bit off...unless noone else is willing to give up their precious ships. That'd just be sad though.
    Epimetheus
    Retired

[Feb 1, 2006 10:57:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    andman

Oh crap, as soon as I get enough poe to actually be a contender at an auction- she goes and switches to a ship auction! Oh well, time to get rid of all those ships I never use, too bad crew. Buy your own ships now!

Hehe. Not trying to say anything big... but I remember all the Subscribers HATED the idea of a familiar auction... maybe they meant with poe, but ships are ok.
    Iollipop!
    ooh baby baby.
    [Feb 1, 2006 11:01:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/thethoughtfuloblivion    hello4am [Link]  Go to top 
    Peanutswench

In all fairness though, you could assume the same thing for every familiar tourney this month anyway since they're at 3:01am EST on a Sunday morning. Some people have church and other early-morning obligations which will prevent them from attending.

With all due respect... I applaud the times and I live on the east coast (3:01am for me too). It's nice to see some variety in times so that others can participate. If anyone that normally gets a convenient time really wants to be in a tournament, they can make sacrifices just like others do for most other tournaments. I plan on trying to be there. Sure I know I don’t have a shot at winning, but that's not always the point of entering. :o)
    Peanutswench
    ------
    [Feb 1, 2006 11:08:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Tiernan

Given that the first bid on Midnight's auction thread is worth approximately 1.1 million, and we still have another 27 days left in this month, I'd say you're possibly a bit off...unless noone else is willing to give up their precious ships. That'd just be sad though.

I am sure that there will be other bids on Midnight before the end. Jacktheblack just helped stop the ridiculously low bidding war that is happening on Cobalt.
    [Feb 1, 2006 11:13:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Foilistc

I am sure that there will be other bids on Midnight before the end. Jacktheblack just helped stop the ridiculously low bidding war that is happening on Cobalt.

I'm working on ending that
    I'm old. I don't look it but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart...
    [Feb 1, 2006 11:39:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.carlknoch.com [Link]  Go to top 
    hedgehog2005

Oh come on, the bidding war helped lighten up my otherwise boring day at a client site.

*shakes fist at Foil*
    Cerulean: Censored
    Meridian: Censored
    Meridian: Hedges
    [Feb 1, 2006 11:55:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Jacktheblack

Aye, none of this silly crap, you want to try and get it away from me, good luck. ;-)

-Jack
    Who almost thinks this familar has his name on it with all the ships he owns.
    [Feb 1, 2006 12:35:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
    VPeric

Gah! I hoped to sneak in a big to the Cobalt thread, since it was almost at the bottom of the pile when I saw it. Damn you, people! That would'be been the cheapest familiar ever! =P
    Wlada, Former King of Bloody Hell and former Captain of Sudden Death, Cobalt.
    Vlada, Officer of the Rudder Royals, Azure.
    [Feb 1, 2006 1:07:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    KingKirby2

I'm sorry. I should have said on Sage. There is not a lot of people that have that much poe invested in ships there. And, there is not enough time to get alot of ships built for this.
    KingKirby on Hunter
    [Feb 1, 2006 1:11:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    rsenkrantz

I like the ship auction, that's a cool way to retire some of these massive fleet collections lying around, and an even cooler way to measure exactly how many supurfluous ships are roaming around in general.
    "You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
    - Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
    -Lisakayela
    [Feb 1, 2006 1:58:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
    query

I have to agree that I like the times. It does give those not in the States a chance to participate. Plus, those who really want to be there will be there, early morning obligations or not. As an insomniac, I had to drag myself away from a couple hours of sleep during those last ones.

And just to irritate Rix: Huzzah to the TD! I love it. Except for that little snippy bug that drops the coin into a slot when I've clicked to drop it into a slot on the other side of the board.

Peanut already said it: You don't necessarily enter to win.
    If I weren't such a refined lady, I'd beat the crap out of you. ~ Doris Wodsworth/Washington/Waverley/Wilgus

[Feb 1, 2006 2:12:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.riddlersrealm.com [Link]  Go to top 
    Jacktheblack

After thinking this over, I wondered if Grand Frigates are undervalued. The reason I say this is that it seems to me that each of the other ships are worth about 1/10000 of thier actual value, except for the Grand Frigate. A Grand Frigate costs anywhere from 120-140k, so I would think that the point value for one of them be atleast 12, if not 13. I mean really is a Grand Frigate worth the same as 2 War Brigs?

-Jack
    Who would like to edit his post to switch in 2 WBs for each GF at this point, but is realizing that it has stood for a while and wants to watch the timer tick down.
    [Feb 1, 2006 5:19:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
    SiLVeRD

Finally....my useless fleet has some value. So...anybody want to buy some ships =). stay tuned to the bazaar!
    The one & only SD, often imitated but never duplicated

If you gonna shoot for the stars, then just shoot me

If you let me you won't regret me,
    Shii, if you let me you won't forget me
    [Feb 1, 2006 6:12:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Please    No    Stalking me [Link]  Go to top 
    taelia

As a shipyard owner, I'ld like to say that the Grand Frigate is very undervalued for this contest and would be 14 or 15 in terms of buying one.
    Ryanne.

Buying:

Kraken Blood 11k, anywhere on the Midnight side of Cerulean.
    Furniture in LE colors (spring green, ice blue, wine, banana, plum etc) - 10k each unless its a large piece of furniture, send me a tell.
    Black CI trink
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by taelia at Feb 1, 2006 9:04:56 PM]
    [Feb 1, 2006 9:04:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    AquaDrake

And on a dub ocean, the prices are way out of wack. Gotta run the numbers tomorrow.

EDIT: I agree, this is good for removing the excess ships out of stale old oceans.
    Midnight shipyards should love this.

Also, I have no problem with hole drop. None.

But TURBO? Please, far too little skill/thinking/planning.

EDIT 2: Can this ship auction threads be stickied?
    Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
    http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
    He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
    [Edit 2 times, last edit by AquaDrake at Feb 1, 2006 11:37:05 PM]
    [Feb 1, 2006 11:31:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    TheRack

See, the ship auction would be so much more fun if it was run by Shur and all bids are sunk, reguardless of if your the winning bidder or not...
    Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
    I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Feb 2, 2006 4:12:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 131   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates