• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 49
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12032 times and has 48 replies Next Thread
B_licker

[Midnight]Duty nav for a parrot! Saturday, Feb 11

Announcing the first ever familiar duty nav competition!
This event will take place in two stages on Midnight Ocean on Saturday, February 11.

The Event:
Qualifying:
The Qualification stage starts at 9 AM PST and will last for about 2 hours. There will be no oceanwide announcement for this event. Up to 48 people may participate. You must have a navigation experience/rating of at least Solid/Renowned to compete. This event is only open to subscribers, since non-subscribers are not allowed to navigate. People wishing to enter the event should send a /tell to Bootlicker after 9 AM. Players will be jobbed on a first-come, first-serve basis. Please make sure your DND is turned off before asking to join the event.

You will be jobbed aboard the event ship and then directed to a sloop, where you will duty nav for 6 leagues, porting halfway through. There will be one bot on sails, one bot on bilge, and an event judge who will be in charge of the ship and will also carp. You will be scored based on your performance on the duty report at each league point as follows:
Incredible = 5 points
Excellent = 4 points
Good = 3 points
Fine = 2 points
Poor = 1 point
Booched/Learning = 0 points
If you booch navigation and cause the ship to turn about, you will be penalized 1 point and the ship will be turned around immediately to resume course. Brigands and PvP will be disabled for this stage.

To advance past the Qualification Stage, a player must score at least 25 points. Some examples of sets of scores worth 25 points are: Excellent, Excellent, Excellent, Excellent, Excellent, Incredible or Good, Excellent, Incredible, Good, Incredible, Incredible. If you score only 24 points, you will be placed on an alternate list and will advance to the next stage in the event that not enough people score 25 points.

The Race:
The Race Stage starts at 2 PM PST and will last about 3 or 4 hours. The Race Stage is a swiss-style, double elimination contest where people will race in groups of 3 or 4 ships at a time. This stage is almost identical to the test event which was held a couple months ago. During the Race Stage, people with similar win-loss records will race against each other for 3 leagues. The first two ships to finish a race receive a win, while the last one or two to finish receive a loss. Two losses eliminates you from the contest. Once the field has been narrowed down to only 3 or 4 people, only the first one to finish a race will receive a win.

Up to 16 people will participate in the double-elimination contest. If more than 16 people score 25 points in the Qualification Stage, then there will first be a series of single-elimination races to cut down the field before the double-elimination contest starts. For example, if 20 players score 25 points, then there will be 5 preliminary races where the last to finish is eliminated from competition so that only 15 players participate in the double-elimination portion.

In each race, you will be in command of a cutter and will duty nav for 3 leagues. There will be 2 bots on sails, one bot on bilge, and an event judge who will carp. In order to participate in the Race Stage, you must either join the event crew as an officer, or you must provide your own stocked cutter. Those who join the event crew will be assigned a crew cutter to use in the races. Ship whisking to the race route will be available to those who choose to provide their own cutter. Charts of the race route will be available as well as extra rum in case you run low. Brigands and PvP will be disabled for this stage.

The Prizes:

The winner of the Race Stage will receive a navy/blue parrot, 20k PoE for a single person portrait and 1 copy, and free framing of their portrait copy.

The remaining 2 or 3 people who make it to the final heat will receive a starfish trinket in their choice of color (red, orange, yellow, white or blue). They also receive their choice of one of the following prizes:
a stocked, renamed sloop - <adjective> Starfish
a set of furniture (broken wheel, anchor, ship in a bottle, painting of admiral, painting of a ship)
a 15k credit to one of the sponsoring shops listed below

The remaining people who advance to the double elimination stage will receive a ribbon trinket, 4 whisking potions, and a 2k credit to one of the sponsoring shops listed below.

Sponsoring shops:

Tesla Foils - Iron monger on Eta, all the swords, all the colours, all the time
Thy Swill Be Done - Distillery on Jorvik, mug maker extraordinaire
Njordstrom - Tailor on Jorvik, come check out our world famous rack!
Bootlicker's Furnishing Stall on Turtle, specializing in low-end (i.e. cheap) furniture
Crank's Furnishing Stall on Epsilon, because nothing beats the feeling of hard wood....en furniture
Revenge of the Ship - Shipyard on Beta

I'm still looking for more sponsors. Send me a PM if you're interested in being a sponsor, no donation required.

So, don't put away your nav wheel after you've finished memorizing the ocean. Instead, see if you have what it takes to win the first familiar ever award for duty navigation.

Bootlicker, First Mate of the Day Traders

EDIT: Changed one of the prize furniture items
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by B_licker at Jan 17, 2006 4:57:20 PM]
[Jan 17, 2006 2:23:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
query

Re: [Midnight]Duty nav for a parrot! Saturday, Feb 11

Yay! Ever since you razzed on me about my standing, I've been working on it. lol. =] Currently, I qualify. So sign me up!
If I weren't such a refined lady, I'd beat the crap out of you. ~ Doris Wodsworth/Washington/Waverley/Wilgus

[Jan 17, 2006 2:56:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.riddlersrealm.com [Link]  Go to top 
nalle5

Bootlicker, I lub ye.

FINALLY a nav familiar!!!

I'll be there - and I will kick Mr Pink's booty this time! ;)

Yarr!!
Angara
Midnight

This account is retired and PM's sent here will not be answered
I am now using my Angara account

[Edit 2 times, last edit by nalle5 at Jan 17, 2006 7:53:05 AM]
[Jan 17, 2006 6:06:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silversnap

Harr! Navving :D

/me is nervous already...!

Is there any chance the 3 hour interval between the qualifying stage and the race could be reduced (so that the race would start earlier) to help out the Brits and Europeans?
Silversnap, The Sea Hares, Day of the Tentacle, Viridian; Squids In, Hunter
Seaslug, Day Traders, Looterati, Midnight
[Jan 17, 2006 9:25:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
B_licker

Is there any chance the 3 hour interval between the qualifying stage and the race could be reduced (so that the race would start earlier) to help out the Brits and Europeans?

Unfortunately, the 3 hour gap is necessary because of the Mug Master tournament that starts at noon.
[Jan 17, 2006 10:07:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Is your concern that people won't play because of mug master or is it that you want to play mugmaster? Since they aren't the same type of events, I shouldn't think this would matter really?
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Jan 17, 2006 11:14:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
B_licker

The concern is that they're both familiar events and there will be pirates who wish to compete in both.
[Jan 17, 2006 11:42:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Bleh. I'm torn between not thinking a familiar event for duty nav is terribly fair and not wanting to ruin a fun event.
[Jan 17, 2006 12:03:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

Bleh. I'm torn between not thinking a familiar event for duty nav is terribly fair and not wanting to ruin a fun event.

What's inherently unfair about a familiar event for duty nav?
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Jan 17, 2006 12:33:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
calorifere

What's inherently unfair about a familiar event for duty nav?

People who have a ranking high enough to get an 8 or 9 star first constellation (that's 2 or 3 people in the ocean, Shur is one of them) have a big advantage because it is much easier for them to get a sparkly indicator early.
Hatchetback
Senior Officer of Fifth Fist of th'Misfits
[Jan 17, 2006 1:25:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

But can't anyone who is a serious navver, and good enough to be comparable in skill, use the next three weeks to do whatever it takes to ramp themselves up to the 8 or 9 stars? Or is this another case of ranking sorting by experience instead of skill?
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jan 17, 2006 1:27:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rockitboy

How do you turn off brigands? I'm assuming OM intervention. And do they have the power to turn off brigands for that particular part of the ocean or will brigands be gone everywhere for the event?
Rocketboy
Cursed Isles, ridding the ocean of poor BNAV one ship at a time.
[Jan 17, 2006 1:32:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Sweetstuff wrote: 
Or is this another case of ranking sorting by experience instead of skill?
It's not. Duty puzzles don't suffer from that problem of the system. An example would be Erinys who is currently fourth and only Expert, so it's more of a skill plus condition plus luck thing.

Yes, yes, and no Rockitboy.
[Jan 17, 2006 1:32:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
B_licker

People who have a ranking high enough to get an 8 or 9 star first constellation (that's 2 or 3 people in the ocean, Shur is one of them) have a big advantage because it is much easier for them to get a sparkly indicator early.

Actually, I could argue that having an 8 or 9 star constellation is a hindrance because it may take longer to finish. Getting a sparkly indicator at the end of the 1st league isn't going to win you many races, even if it's super duper sparkly. I noticed this in the test event. So, I think it could be a pretty interesting competition.

Brigands will be disabled only on the race route.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by B_licker at Jan 17, 2006 1:42:23 PM]
[Jan 17, 2006 1:39:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rexie

I'll be there. Thanks for hosting this wonderful event.

And woo! Another dovetail event to Rexelita's Memorizing Midnight Event.
R3><3L33T4
Jeridus says, "See, I dunno about that, I would think Rexi being evil would be like only relative evil. Like some sort of diabolical kitten"
[Jan 17, 2006 2:34:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silversnap

People who have a ranking high enough to get an 8 or 9 star first constellation (that's 2 or 3 people in the ocean, Shur is one of them)

Maybe there aren't that many starting on 9 stars on Midnight, but surely all Ult navvers and most Leg navvers get 8 star boards, so that's quite a decent number of people.
Silversnap, The Sea Hares, Day of the Tentacle, Viridian; Squids In, Hunter
Seaslug, Day Traders, Looterati, Midnight
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Silversnap at Jan 17, 2006 4:10:48 PM]
[Jan 17, 2006 4:00:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pianoman1125

Finally a chance to for me to nav without gems on board as an excuse. YAY!

I'm so there.
Muffynz
A Cartographer

Member of Crimson Tide
YPPedia Admin
Not-so-secretly conducting the oceans since 2003.
[Jan 17, 2006 4:09:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pianoman1125    Your average cupcake is just not as tasty. [Link]  Go to top 
Hempline

Huzzahh! My very favoritest of puzzles is the serene sweep of navigation. I'll be there!
Hempline
Forever a Nameless Corsair
Island Designer
Hermit

omg welcum bak hmeplien we mist u

-Eurydice
[Jan 17, 2006 4:19:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
calorifere

People who have a ranking high enough to get an 8 or 9 star first constellation (that's 2 or 3 people in the ocean, Shur is one of them)

Maybe there aren't that many starting on 9 stars on Midnight, but surely all Ult navvers and most Leg navvers get 8 star boards, so that's quite a decent number of people.

Most Ult navvers start with at most 6 or 7 star boards, only 2 or 3 -- maybe less -- start with 8 or 9, and it has nothing to do with rank, just with how well ye can dnav. I'm the #3 dnavver on Viridian and I start with 6 star boards there. I also start with 6 stars on Midnight where I'm #7. My alt on Midnight is #18 and starts with 5 star boards about 50% of the time.
Hatchetback
Senior Officer of Fifth Fist of th'Misfits
[Jan 17, 2006 4:58:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Please redirect discussion about the DNav puzzle over here. And yeah, I realize that link doesn't actually go to a topic about DNav, but it's better to derail over there then in an Event thread.
[Jan 17, 2006 6:04:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PsychoDan

I had a blast at the test event, and I'll definitely show up for this. I'm a bit surprised this showed up before a bilging familiar (though I suppose there are scoring issues there too). I think given the option of either accepting that there are minor flaws in a dnav competition or giving up on ever having one, I'd rather have fun competing than worry about it.
Sephoris, Senior Officer of the Radical Dreamers
[Jan 18, 2006 1:59:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
daleenmarine

Me me me me me!
HuskerMike wrote: 
It feels like you're on a jihad against me.

Antix wrote: 
And if he turns out to be an innocent lets not remember that fact at all.

[Jan 18, 2006 8:04:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bobie

Yeah, I guess I'll re-activate my dnav. Good times.
Bendeall (Bo, if you know me)

Captain, Phoenicians. Related to teh BSBizzle.

Somewhat hostile, and not very helpful

http://boomytunes.serverroom.us:7660

Tune in, Rock out. Sometimes.
[Jan 18, 2006 12:28:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    BobieLaptop [Link]  Go to top 
Phelusia

Aw, darn, subscribers only? Any chance one of these duty nav bakeoffs is gonna come to a free ocean? Viridian, preferably?

all the other dnav events I've seen you either had to fight brigands, bring your own cutter, or something else which wasn't a 'bakeoff' format like this is. I personally like this sort of thing a lot better.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Phelusia at Jan 26, 2006 2:48:41 PM]
[Jan 26, 2006 2:28:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

I'm not as good as folks like Bo and Shur, but on my best days I can get excellents and increds, so sign me up and I'll hope for my best!

-Polly
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Jan 28, 2006 10:11:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

Aw, darn, subscribers only? Any chance one of these duty nav bakeoffs is gonna come to a free ocean? Viridian, preferably?

Bootlicker is a player. He's running an event on the server he plays on.

If you want to see an event like this on your ocean, why not run it, or encourage your flagmates to run it?
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Jan 29, 2006 8:01:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
rosiemelvill

i can't wait were do i sign up?
roisemelville
[Feb 2, 2006 10:55:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
B_licker

No signup necessary. Just send me a tell on the day of the event.
[Feb 2, 2006 2:43:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
query

Y'know, Boots, I love the whole idea of this... I just hate the time for the qualification rounds. lol. You're seriously going to kill me with that.
If I weren't such a refined lady, I'd beat the crap out of you. ~ Doris Wodsworth/Washington/Waverley/Wilgus

[Feb 3, 2006 4:23:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.riddlersrealm.com [Link]  Go to top 
B_licker

No pain, no gain. ;-)
[Feb 3, 2006 10:56:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 49   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates