• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 55
Posts: 55   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7479 times and has 54 replies Next Thread
Shandra

[Midnight] Tacos Diamond Elimination Sloop Race

*14 January 2006* (1pm Game time) 3pm CST

Ahoy all ye scurvy dogs!! I have decided to host an event that has been floating around in my mind for a year now. Yes, its a sloop race, but one the likes of which I have yet to see.

The basics: Your team of 6, your sloop, and 1 "judge" of my choosing. You will race - starting and ending at Turtle Island, all the way around Diamond.

The route will be Turtle to Cnossos, Cnossos to Winter Solstice, Winter Solstice to Oyster, Oyster to Byrne, Byrne to Papaya, and Papaya to Turtle.

Sounds easy enough? Well, lets make it a little harder for ya!

At each island along the route, you will plank one of your 6 team members. Which person that is will be up to your team. I suggest ye be fast about picking who it is, the team that makes it back to Turtle first wins. No, you may NOT plank your judge! And yes, you may determine before hand who gets the boot at each island.

Turtle to Cnossos you will have 6 puzzlers
Cnossos to Winter you will have 5 puzzlers
Winter to Oyster you will have 4 puzzlers
Oyster to Byrne you will have 3 puzzlers (Ya this one doglegs ya over by alpha but not all the way)
Byrne to Papaya you will have 2 puzzlers
Papaya to Turtle you will have 1 puzzler
*NO BOTS ALLOWED*

*Judges will NOT puzzle on the boat.

At each island, there will be someone on a deported boat watching for each contestant boat. Contestant boats will NOT be ported. At the islands, your judge will announce the name of the sloop they are on, and the person getting planked. You may not set sail until your judge has announced this information.

Battles are a part of pirates, it is unlikely you will be able to avoid them. PvP is another story. At any time any of the boats get a PvP attack, the judge will holler out PvP and I will personally scrutinize the members of the attacking boat. If they are crew *or* flag members of a contestant on another boat, THAT ENTIRE TEAM will get disqualified. (Examle: Boat A gets a PvP attack, 1 of the attackers is a crew or flag mate of a contestant on Boat B - all contestants on Boat B will get disqualified.) So mates, ye gotta put out to yer flags to leave all contestants alone. I cant really do anything about PvP if it comes from outside the contestant crew/flag realm. PvP between the teams will result in the attackers getting disqualified.

A slight wrench in the planning of your team....
No more than 2 members of your team may be rated in the *ocean* top 10 in Navigation, Bilge, Carpentry, or Sails. Sea Battle, Gunnery, Sword Fighting, and all other puzzles do NOT count towards that (Experience ratings also do NOT count). These stats will be confirmed the morning of the race - not before.

Team responsibilities: Assemble a 6 pirate team and choose a "captain" (I recommend you have a back up just in case something happens and one of your team members can not attend.) If you have to start the race with only 5 members, be prepared for your last man standing to get that boat solo the 6 leagues from Byrne to Turtle. Your team is responsible for making sure you have a stocked sloop at Turtle Island at least 2 hours prior to the start of the race. Your boat must also have all of the charts needed for the trip. Stock it however you wish - you may NOT stop at any island along the way to restock. All contestants will need to contact me 30-45 minutes before the start time so I can job everyone into my crew for last minute questions and sorting. (One member from each team -I recommend the boat owner/team captain - and the judge from each boat will need to remain jobbed in my crew for communication purposes.) You will need to chart from Turtle to Oyster via Winter and once at Oyster back to Turtle via Papaya.

Judges responsibilities: At each island, once your assigned team tells you who they choose to plank, make your announcement in my crew chat for all to see (ie: Blue Picklefish - Cnossos Island - planking Blarnybill). -Boat must be at full stop before making the announcement. This way one member from each team, and all other judges will be able to keep up with the progress of other teams.

OK, I think that just about covers all of that. I will have a meeting with all judges and team captains prior to this event just to make sure everyone understands exactly which way is up.

PRIZES!!!! /me cracks open her wallet.....Well, since this is sure to cause some hair pulling and maybe a little cussing I offer up......
1st place: 6 sloops (one per team member)
2nd place: 9k per team member
3rd place: 5k per team member
4th place: Cutter Arrogant Salmon (deed will go to team captain) and 2k to the other team members
5th place: 3k per team member
6th place: 1k per team member

*BONUS*
I totally want to thank Poseidon for providing the following trinkets for prizes
- Blue for 1st, Red for 2nd, and Yellow for 3rd (Team Captains only.

*Poe and sloop donations gladly accepted for prizes (I will keep full accountability here.)
*Volunteers needed for judges!
*Shanghi points!! If yer a capn, and would like to donate some points, I will name as many of the prize sloops as I can, please post if you have any name ideas that might be suited for this event.

Please register yer teams with me here or in game! I will stop taking registrations on the 12th.

OK, I had a couple people ask since Rummy posted on a potential 2 man crew....If his 2 member team wins first place, would they get all 6 sloops. I have had ppl side with yes and others side with no due to my original post saying one sloop per team member. SO, I will leave it up to you. Post a vote (voting is limited to judges and registered participants ONLY)

Sloops Excited Halibut and Wrong Bream donated by Jimmyd
*10k donated by Blarnybill
*10k donated by Yelwlobeard
*30k and the cutter Arrogant Salmon donated by Harding
*65k and 4 sloops - Taco
*3k dontated by Daleen

First leg of charted route:

Second leg of charted route:

----------------------------------------
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Edit 19 times, last edit by Shandra at Jan 13, 2006 10:04:05 PM]
[Dec 20, 2005 12:28:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cpt_liles

Re: Tacos Diamond Elimination Sloop Race

If you want a judge then I will be happy to inforce the laws.
The only ruthless pirate to hug away his problems.
[Dec 20, 2005 12:54:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

If you want a judge then I will be happy to inforce the laws.

-Please edit yer post with yer pirate name =/
Taco - teh one and only

[Dec 20, 2005 12:56:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scott_level

If a boat gets attacked does the judge sf or does he just forfeit and ill be happy to judge if needed
Dont double post please just edit your posts instead

scottl on the midnight ocean
FO of Orion's Blade
member of the flag cold steel
[Edit 1 times, last edit by scott_level at Dec 20, 2005 1:01:19 PM]
[Dec 20, 2005 12:57:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

Can we enter and play solo just because we can? Or in a pair, planking one before the end?
I alone have the flet!
[Dec 20, 2005 1:01:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

If a boat gets attacked does the judge sf or does he just forfeit and ill be happy to judge if needed

Yes, the judge sword fights.
Taco - teh one and only

[Dec 20, 2005 1:04:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Can we enter and play solo just because we can? Or in a pair, planking one before the end?

Lol, well, um, I dont see why not.....you would however still have a judge on with ya.
Taco - teh one and only

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shandra at Dec 20, 2005 1:06:36 PM]
[Dec 20, 2005 1:05:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rsenkrantz

/me adopts tarty tone of voice

Please use ocean tags. Midnight is not the default ocean*

*yes it is, but we can't have it appear that way to everyone else.
"You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
- Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
-Lisakayela
[Dec 20, 2005 3:31:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
mylipstickk

I'll volunteer to be a judge :)

My pirate name is: Mylipstickk
Mylipstickk / Lip on the Midnight Ocean
Blighted<3
[Dec 20, 2005 5:14:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Will the judges play as their main characters or as new greenie characters? If they play as their mains, some teams could be crippled by the presence of the judge - a high-level sea battler will attract imperials that are both more difficult to run from (more likely to be at top speed) and more difficult to defeat if engaged.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Dec 20, 2005 8:32:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Will the judges play as their main characters or as new greenie characters? If they play as their mains, some teams could be crippled by the presence of the judge - a high-level sea battler will attract imperials that are both more difficult to run from (more likely to be at top speed) and more difficult to defeat if engaged.

If teams request a greenie judge, a greenie judge they will get - to the best of my ability.

Fair warning: You get a greenie judge, you get a judge with a foil.
Taco - teh one and only

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shandra at Dec 27, 2005 6:47:14 PM]
[Dec 20, 2005 9:44:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gordo036

kan i juge 4 u?

/me giggles

Taco, if ye need me, my services are yours ;op

Nuemenor
Midnight Viridian Sage Cobalt, Ice.... yeesh!
Nuemenor

Auzziemoo officer chats, "quite a few lazers. im pretty sure not all of them are gunning or writing a book"
Freja says, "if you survive a week - you will be ready to help us scare the next new pirate half to death"
[Dec 20, 2005 11:08:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JenHonk

Ohk. I'm Jenardo and I want to be a judge.

please and thank you!
love,
Jenardo
[Dec 20, 2005 11:25:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Jenardo [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

So many judges, so few participants...

I won't be judging. I'll see about gathering enough Rudder Duckies to enter my crew in this event, though. And I'll see what I can do about BSB not PvPing for a few hours... That part could be tough.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Dec 21, 2005 9:04:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I'll see about gathering enough Rudder Duckies to enter my crew in this event, though. And I'll see what I can do about BSB not PvPing for a few hours... That part could be tough.

Your team does not have to be crew mates....can be hearties, friends, strangers, whatever.
Taco - teh one and only

[Dec 21, 2005 9:14:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

I'll see about gathering enough Rudder Duckies to enter my crew in this event, though. And I'll see what I can do about BSB not PvPing for a few hours... That part could be tough.

Your team does not have to be crew mates....can be hearties, friends, strangers, whatever.

I know, but I like sailing with crew mates. Plus, my crew mates include Ult sailors, bilgers, gunners, and carpenters... Why would I need to look anywhere else?
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Dec 21, 2005 10:13:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Moradeth

Your boat must also have all of the charts needed for the trip.

Do we really need the charts if we have the route memed? Just making sure if it was alright. :)
[Dec 21, 2005 10:30:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Do we really need the charts if we have the route memed? Just making sure if it was alright. :)

No, if you have it memed of course you wont need the charts. As soon as I get off my bum I will post the exact route - with pictures - just to make sure there isnt any question on it.
Taco - teh one and only

[Dec 21, 2005 11:21:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
apatchebeard

I would like to register my team:

Apatchebeard - team captain
Tiggerny
Blarnybill (edited in to replace Bombay)
Jobi
Ghostly
Bowlegpeg

We will be using the sloop Scruffy Beardfish.
Apatchebeard - SO of Phoenix Fury
[Edit 1 times, last edit by apatchebeard at Jan 13, 2006 3:42:21 PM]
[Dec 23, 2005 3:43:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Interesting event. At the end of the day though, it will boil down to who is luckiest over the final stretch, methinks.

I take it all judges will at least be able alts, because that would add the least additional handicap.

Dylan
[Dec 23, 2005 4:24:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I take it all judges will at least be able alts, because that would add the least additional handicap.

Dylan

Asked and answered already.
Taco - teh one and only

[Dec 23, 2005 6:01:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
I_Poke_You

Sign me up for judging. ;)
Silkprincess says, "y'all talk about this anime' barnacle, but it's all about the Smurfs and Fraggle Rock"
---------------
Sanura: Currently on Hiatus

Find me on Ragnarok Online. Emily-Jade, Loki serve
[Dec 23, 2005 8:25:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ms_national

I can help judge or whatever else is needed. I can come on as a greenie if ya need.

Adesh
Msnational
Conistance
[Dec 24, 2005 2:31:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

I jus' wanna be a spektater. Can I, huh, huh? Pweeeze?

Good luck to all of ye, sloop races are fun!
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Dec 24, 2005 4:41:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I jus' wanna be a spektater. Can I, huh, huh? Pweeeze?

Good luck to all of ye, sloop races are fun!

Not sure I can randomly job people for spectators, would be too easy for one of them to accidentally get on one of the competitors boats or cause general ruckus in the crew chat. You could volunteer to be a judge though and end up sitting on one of the deported island boats watching for them to come by.
Taco - teh one and only

[Dec 24, 2005 9:17:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gsharp

Re: [Midnight] Tacos Diamond Elimination Sloop Race

I need some clarification. If I enter a team with only 3 members, then we will set sail from Trutle at the beginning with the three teammates and a greenie judge. When do I need to plank my first teammate? Do I need to start planking when I get to Cnossos (first island), or because I only have 3 teammates do I plank my first person at Byrne (first leg of the trip with fewer than 3 puzzlers allowed)?

Also, will the judges follow our instructions during battles?

I think we are definitely going to enter, we just need to figure out the size of our team.

-Xjunior
FO of Curs of the Black Pearl

Edit: Added the second question
The Xecutioner

On all oceans!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by gsharp at Dec 27, 2005 12:48:07 PM]
[Dec 27, 2005 12:43:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
harrjm

Might as well sign me up for this. :D

Team Captain: Harrjm
Members: TBD or maybe just ME. muhahahaha
Ship: Dependent Sild

Yes to the vote on crew: If he wants to enter a 2 man crew with 1 judge that's cool. But with 2 people puzzling and the judge not being able to participate, fat chance he will win. That means 1 on sail one on carp/bilge the entire trip. More power to them.
Captain of Gods of War
King of Tyranny
Blockade madman
[Edit 2 times, last edit by harrjm at Dec 27, 2005 6:32:58 PM]
[Dec 27, 2005 6:20:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

I need some clarification. If I enter a team with only 3 members, then we will set sail from Trutle at the beginning with the three teammates and a greenie judge. When do I need to plank my first teammate? Do I need to start planking when I get to Cnossos (first island), or because I only have 3 teammates do I plank my first person at Byrne (first leg of the trip with fewer than 3 puzzlers allowed)?

Also, will the judges follow our instructions during battles?

I think we are definitely going to enter, we just need to figure out the size of our team.

You can enter a team with a lesser amount of people, the ppl count on the boat is listed by island so it would go based on that. The only thing the judges will do for you on the boat is swordfight. They are not going to do any other sort of puzzling. If you want more people, post it, Im sure you could find some extras.
Taco - teh one and only

[Dec 27, 2005 6:27:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DolphineQ

Taco hon, you got me as a judge if needed :).

/e smooches.
Finding someone with a valid opinion is akin to hitting an 'A' paper in your marking pile. So rare, but suddenly worth all the crap you had to sift through to find it.
[Dec 27, 2005 6:51:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TarnumTheRed

Might as well sign me up for this. :D

Team Captain: Harrjm
Members: TBD or maybe just ME. muhahahaha
Ship: Dependent Sild

Yes to the vote on crew: If he wants to enter a 2 man crew with 1 judge that's cool. But with 2 people puzzling and the judge not being able to participate, fat chance he will win. That means 1 on sail one on carp/bilge the entire trip. More power to them.

It is quite easy to win a sloop race with two people. Full sails is full sails
Tarnum

Darvid wrote: 
I guess it's just fun to poke the retarded bunny.
Muroni wrote: 
Who isn't sure that leif will let me enter him, but I'm willing to try.

[Dec 27, 2005 7:38:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 55   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates