• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 790 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Gripecat

/Tell for Hearties Reply to this Post

Ahoy,

I've done a search and haven't found anything relating to my idea.

I think it would be lovely if one could send a /tell to all of their hearties at once. The job invite option is nice, but I feel quite seedy by just blasting in and sending the invite. So, something like /thearties Hey! Going on (insert pillage type here), care to help slice and dice?

Lots of love,
Peglegmeg
[Nov 30, 2005 4:58:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mad_Ben

Re: /Tell for Hearties Reply to this Post

It's been discussed before somewhere.

Some people liked the idea - some didn't.

Incidentally I like the idea.
----------------------------------------
~ Cpt. Largo of Meridian
Super Scuppers
[Nov 30, 2005 5:01:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
polny

There are heaps of threads proposing this - mostly as "hearty chat" or "hearty broadcast" rather than "hearty mass /tell". Cleaver set his face against it here.

The best jury-rigging for your problem is to copy and paste a polite offer into a /tell for each hearty, then have a generic response copied and ready to paste for all the rejections.
[A]nd even coldly calculating people do not succeed half so well in life as those properly blended temperaments who are capable of deep feeling for those persons and conditions that happen to serve their own interests. - Robert Musil
[Edit 2 times, last edit by polny at Nov 30, 2005 5:24:23 AM]
[Nov 30, 2005 5:16:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ysanne007

One of the main reason why it's probably never be implemented is that your hearty list isn't the same as your hearty's hearty list, unlike a crew chat where the members are the same for every member.
Neerie of the Hunter Ocean
Formerly known as Reenie and Maeve on Viridian.
[Nov 30, 2005 6:08:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rsenkrantz

There are heaps of threads proposing this - mostly as "hearty chat" or "hearty broadcast" rather than "hearty mass /tell". Cleaver set his face against it here.

The best jury-rigging for your problem is to copy and paste a polite offer into a /tell for each hearty, then have a generic response copied and ready to paste for all the rejections.

You can use the /afk message as your response without having to do extrac copy-paste work.

This idea was discussed at length several times. Last time it boiled down to fear of introducing a new spam channel, as all 50 hearties broadcast their activities and desire for hearty-help to their entire list. I think they just ran out of chat colors ;)
"You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
- Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
-Lisakayela
[Nov 30, 2005 10:39:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
Gripecat

Ugh... I hadn't thought about the opportunity for spam.

Just imagine... infinite messages of "Bandana for sail, press 222 if yer interested."

/me erases her first post.

Lots of love,
PLM
[Nov 30, 2005 2:35:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tinare

If someone is spamming you just take them off as a hearty, if they're going to be spamming pricks

i mean b.net has /f m which i assume is the equivilent of a /tell for hearties.

But personally i only make hearties with people whom i know (either personally or have some sort of "deeper" relationship with in the game)

Like a /tell for hearties will just be abused by all those people with female characters that walk around trying to be hearties with everyone and ask "am i hott?"
Viridian Ocean
      -Tinare
[Nov 30, 2005 9:52:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mad_Ben

No one on my hearties list would send me spam - if they did would remove them.

I mentioned before but Xbox Live service allows each player to have 100 friends. There is a menu option to send a voice / text message to everyone on that list. It's very convenient and I've never had any kind of problems with it. And Xbox Live is used by millions of people - most of them even more annoying than Viridian greenies!

Hmm I just thought - how about only allowing a few specific spam messages that couldn't be altered?

• Invite All Hearties to Pillage
  • Invite All Hearties to Fight Skellies
  • Invite All Hearties to Buy Good Bandana ;)

etc. Something like that.

I think an option for stalls to spam advertising for employees should be left out - getting that every 5 mins really would be annoying.
~ Cpt. Largo of Meridian
Super Scuppers
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Mad_Ben at Dec 1, 2005 3:54:36 AM]
[Dec 1, 2005 3:49:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thebuddy229

i liked it and its been discussed 3 times in november atleast
dudedude
officer of a crew he cant spell
member of riddle makers
event runner person

[Dec 1, 2005 5:07:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Hmm I just thought - how about only allowing a few specific spam messages that couldn't be altered?

• Invite All Hearties to Pillage
  • Invite All Hearties to Fight Skellies
  • Invite All Hearties to Buy Good Bandana ;)

And yep, if any one of my hearties ever used ANY of those three in a mass-tell, they'd be removed. My hearties are my FRIENDS. I detest folks who think of a hearty list in terms of "What can you do for me?" I'm not one of your "connections", I'm your friend. But then, I rant about /fo being used for "advertising", too.

If they did ever enable mass-hearty-tells, we'd end up removing so many hearties, you'd hear a lot less tarting asking for increases in our hearty list capacity!!! I guess that would be the one good thing.

*giggles*
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Dec 1, 2005 8:31:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Mad_Ben

Umm, that sounds a little bit immature, imwamphyr. If you don't get special individual attention you feel people aren't your friends? I bet the invitation for the last dinner party you went to was the same one that everyone else got, no?

Hey all of my hearties are friends too. And I prefer to pillage with friends than jobbers.

A feature like this would be a great help to me in those situations because it would save me typing (or pasting) the same message lots of times.

Ok how about instead of a 'spam all hearties' option, how about the ability to send the same tell to more than one person?

e.g.

/tell Hearty1, Hearty2, Hearty3 Hello!
~ Cpt. Largo of Meridian
Super Scuppers
[Dec 1, 2005 9:34:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Umm, that sounds a little bit immature, imwamphyr. If you don't get special individual attention you feel people aren't your friends? I bet the invitation for the last dinner party you went to was the same one that everyone else got, no?

It's not that I require individual attention, it's that in real life I don't pester my "Friends" about that junk table I'm putting out for a yardsale, asking them if they want to buy it. I don't think it's appropriate to think of my friends as somebody to do things for me or buy things from me. Some people do use hearty lists for business transactions in the game, and that's fine for them. It's not for me. If a hearty wants to sell something, they should list it in the damn forums, they KNOW I look here every day. Now, the rest of their hearty list my not look, but I don't want 75 people trying to sell me crap in my supposedly commercial-free game every day. If I wanted commercials, I'd go play a game where I don't also pay a subscription.

An invitation to a Dinner party is quite different than an invitation to say, a Tupperware party. How would I handle a tupperware party invitation irl? You're conducting business then, and you should send me a professional postcard or letter invitation. Don't call me on the phone, then you're just another damned Telemarketer. "IF I mail you a postcard invitation, you'll just throw it away with all your other junk mail!" Damn straight, because I have no interest in buying your tupperware (bandana), dear. And if you call me on the phone and try to take advantage of my friendship to pressure me into attending and possibly buying your damned tupperware, you're a louse. If I want to buy something, I'll seek YOU out.

Let's just hurry up and get the consignment stores out! Then you guys can resell all your second hand stuff, and we don't have to worry about spammy hearty commercial tells or spam commercials on our docks, in our inns, hell recently I've seen it increasing on pillages!

Now, with the skellies, I am on the list of folks to be spammed about them. Right now, I usually get 2-5 tells from different people, none requiring any response from me, and it's ok. If it ever got to be 10 or more, I'd likely remove myself from that list. If hearties could spam about it, I almost guarantee it would exceed 10-20 tells in a half-hour period, and yeah, that would aggravate the hell out of me. It's already difficult enough to try to pillage or concentrate on a game and try to follow my crew chat, let alone spammy hearty tells. Besides, they show up for me on the notice board, and we've now determined their exact spawn times (subject to change), so if I'm on then and interested, I'll go check out the board. I don't need any tells, really.

Pillaging is the only exception, and those who are on my list are rather good about sending me pillage invitations at a reasonable level. However, there are a few that would abuse it and send too much, and I'd be forced to remove them. The biggest problem would be NOT when they started the pillage, but as the pillage progressed. One spammy hearty invite when you begin your pillage would be just fine and dandy, if you led only one or two pillages a day (which with 75 hearties, means potential for 150 tells a day, mind you). However, what happens when new hearties log on after your pillage has already started? Are you going to continue the way you do now, with sending me an individual tell when you notice I log on? Or are you just going to send a mass hearty invite again every 15-30 minutes to make sure you "Catch us all", using it more as an announcement system.

And that's the problem, I think most folks would switch over to the mass-tells, and I don't want to see your pillage tell every 15 minutes over the course of a 2 hour pillage, and I damned sure don't want to see it in the evenings from about 8pm until midnight, when nearly ALL my hearties are out pillaging. Even if you say I just leave 5 asshats on the list that spam me tells every 15 minutes while they pillage every evening, that would be 80 friggin tells every night. Good Lord.

So, yes, I'm not against the system ever being implemented, but I would remove folks who overwhelmed with with their usage, OR used it to provide me with lovely commercials *gag*.

Forcing individual tells nearly guarantees you can't overwhelm your hearties. Your hand will likely cramp up typing before you piss your hearties off with spam. When mass-tells come in, you take away that safety valve. Then we start having threads about "How much is TOO much".
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by imwamphyr at Dec 1, 2005 10:32:55 AM]
[Dec 1, 2005 10:27:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Amphitrite
OceanMaster

This has been suggested many times before, and it's not going to happen.

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=59742#59742

Locking and sinking.
"People take on the shapes of the songs and the stories that surround them, especially if they don't have their own song." --Mr. Nancy
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Amphitrite at Dec 1, 2005 12:54:07 PM]
[Dec 1, 2005 12:53:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates