• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 35
Posts: 35   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9084 times and has 34 replies Next Thread
Amphitrite
OceanMaster

[Viridian] Sailing Bake-Off! (Fini)

Date: Tuesday, September 27, 2005
Time: 3:00pm PDT
Event Host: Halosydne
Participant limit: 120
Number of rounds: 4
Number of leagues per round: 6
Total leagues: 24

- There will be no announcement for this event. About 30 minutes before the start, Halosydne will begin jobbing people onto the Sea Horse. Send her a /tell for a job any time after 2:30 PDT. Remember that there are limited spaces available!
- The ship will be ported at the very beginning of each round.
- Anyone leaving the vessel before the end of the bake-off finishes will forfeit any prizes or presents. While you are on board, we ask that you keep quiet so as not to create distractions.
- Participants are allowed to leave their stations. Anyone using this to be annoying or who makes a general annoyance of themselves will be planked. Participants may not, however, exit their duty station for more than a few seconds at a time; we're testing your puzzling ability over the full set of leagues, not just the first half of each!
- No navigator will be used.
- Each participant will sail six leagues, and take other stations as necessary to keep the ship afloat for the other 18 leagues.
- Participants are responsible for being at the right place at the right time. We will tell you where you need to be. Get there as quickly as you can so we can get going!
- We expect the three rounds of puzzling to last approximately 3 hours, so please plan accordingly when you join.
- At the end of the last round we will pool all the scores together and rank the top few to determine prizes. Any ties will be broken at that time on a different vessel or navy ship, spectators are welcome to come watch and see who wins as long as they can behave.
- If we run into problems, difficulties or anything that we feel causes an imbalance in the rounds, we will take the 1st place players from each round and do a tiebreaker with them for first prize.
- Anyone leaving the ship before the end of that run will forfeit any and all prizes or presents!

PVP will not be tolerated. Prepare to be boarded, booted and your ship thrown to the ends of the seas without any rum or shot!

Scoring
Incredible: 5 pts
Excellent: 4 pts
Good: 3 pts
Fine: 2 pts
Poor: 1 pt
Booched/Learning: nada!

Scorekeeping
- We will try to have at least 2-3 scorekeepers per round, which should account for any mistakes.
- As a secondary check we will try to have someone taking a screenshot log of each duty report so we can recheck any as needed.
- Volunteers will be needed to help keep score. Send Amphitrite a PM or e-mail amphitrite@puzzlepirates.com if interested.

Prizes
Overall 1st - A monkey in the color of your choice! (no white)
2nd -> 10th - pick one! Any tied players may choose the same or different prizes, however, once a prize has been picked it will no longer be available to anyone of a lower place.
Sloop named <adjective> Sailfish
Gold or black fancy boots
A scimitar (no black or white)
A skull mug (no black or white)
Female or Male outfit: Swash Jacket/pants/shoes/hat -or- Gown/Corset/Laurel (no black or gold)
Female or Male Outfit: Stripey shirt/knickers/bandana (any color)
Aqua rags
A portrait with your favorite Oceanmaster
Set of charts for the archipelago of your choice (adjacent interarchs included)

Good luck!
----------------------------------------
"People take on the shapes of the songs and the stories that surround them, especially if they don't have their own song." --Mr. Nancy
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Amphitrite at Sep 28, 2005 10:20:09 AM]
[Sep 20, 2005 11:46:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

Re: [Viridian] Sailing Bake-Off!

As this came up last night in a conversation with Kheffin- what will the tiebreaker format be? The last carp bakeoff had 6 leagues into single league sudden death, the last sail bakeoff had 4 league sets, total score each set.
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Sep 21, 2005 9:55:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DragonRage

Huzzah for having night classes on Tuesdays.

T.T

Phade,
Always getting screwed by the timing of bake-offs.
Like, up in Canada, it's cold as a bastard! Out in Seattle, it rains like bastard! Down in Texas, it's muggy as a bastard!
[Sep 21, 2005 9:57:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Preacher+of+Pie [Link]  Go to top 
Oorlian

Once again, fates conspire, as I will be at work at the start of the event. Then again, even just half my sailing is probably good enough to win...
I make my way across the sea, upon a mighty brig,
Searching for something lost to me: a pirate-worthy sig.
[Sep 21, 2005 12:04:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kevan.org/brain.cgi?Oorlian    Oorlian [Link]  Go to top 
LethalLizord

i'll try to be there.. taking full advantage of my school holidays... 9am for me, and fellow Eastern Aussies.

Edit: I'll still be entering Now that I've won my own familiar (if I wake up that early)... but I wont be aiming/expecting to win :)
~Viridian~
SnakeEye
Captain of Devil's Playground, Pay for Play

~Sage~
SnakeEyes
Officer of Hell's Angels, Hell's Wrath

~Hunter~
SnakeEyes
Senior Officer of Black September, The Eye
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LethalLizord at Sep 26, 2005 9:35:53 AM]
[Sep 22, 2005 8:32:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xXPyro69Xx

If my friend who happens to be incredibly gifted at sailing gets 2-10th place, would it be ok to exchange prizes with him?(he's about to quit and I've been begging Eury for a portrait for months)

;)

One does not need to have more than a passing knowledge of the history of Viridian and Hunter to see what could be. I assure you, I know more than you having not set foot on Hunter on a main in months.

[Sep 26, 2005 11:36:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
grumpy6909

Interesting and should be enjoyable, but I live on GMT -- what time is PDT please ? about 3 hours before EST ?
Thanks
Rumpus.
Captain and sole member of Outcast Misfits.
[Sep 26, 2005 9:14:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

GMT -8

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/wiki/Current_events
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Sep 26, 2005 9:20:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
MissMachine

Edit: there was a misunderstanding, which has been resolved. Many thanks.

MissM
[Edit 2 times, last edit by MissMachine at Sep 27, 2005 4:55:39 PM]
[Sep 27, 2005 3:19:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

I've jes' checked me chatlogs, and in the 20 minutes ye were on board, there were at LEAST 10 warnin's and requests to keep the chatter down. There were also numerous plankin's, which was proof that the people makin' the requests were serious. If ye didn't have the wisdom to use this evidence to convince ye to use a /tell to Shinpe, then I'm afraid there can be little sympathy fer ye.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Sep 27, 2005 3:26:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
MissMachine

Edit: there was a misunderstanding, which has been resolved. Many thanks.

MissM
[Edit 2 times, last edit by MissMachine at Sep 27, 2005 4:56:08 PM]
[Sep 27, 2005 3:31:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

The futility o' requestin' a response from someone tryin' to run a familiar event wi' over 100 participants, some o' whom are demonstrably bad at followin' simple instructions is, um, I think I'll end this sentence here.
Older, crankier,
Tawnee on Midnight.
[Sep 27, 2005 3:35:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
Yakuza

Its incredible that a very deeply respected pirate such as MissMachine was treated this way. He has always shown every last bit of respect, restraint, and maturity in this game that has always proved to be the example to take, not one to make of.

edited, due to the issue being resolved.
Homullus wrote: 
...it does bother me when people think that games are not reality. They are.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yakuza at Sep 27, 2005 3:46:09 PM]
[Sep 27, 2005 3:39:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.cc/phpBB    kingbarz@yahoo.com    kingbarz80 [Link]  Go to top 
MissMachine

Thank ye for the kind words of mateys, this matter has now been dealt with.

MissM
[Sep 27, 2005 3:49:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

Time for a bit of celebration- league one, group two.

[Sep 27, 2005 5:09:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kerix

quite impressive, mate
[Sep 27, 2005 5:33:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
millroy

Ugh. I had the end of leaguebooch and now my ypp pc crashed into the fiery pits of oblivion. My monitor went dead and I can not get it back up.
But, this is a truly awesome event. For sailing rocks, and a first league incred is quite something.
Nice job Dy.
Argos
[Sep 27, 2005 5:39:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TianX9

Yaj, you are a god among pirates (albeit an incredibly lucky one).
Next bake-off, break the spacebar on your keyboard please ^^;

(/e is one of the bitter 14 runner ups... but not that bitter)
[Sep 27, 2005 6:38:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DragonRage

Congrats, Yaj.

Shodan informed me you won when I pulled a first league incred on his pillage last night (on Sage), and I was celebrating.

My offer still stands to face you 1 on 1 for it. =P

Just name what you want put up against your familiar.

Phade,
Who was stuck in a Western Civ class when he should have been sailing. :(
Like, up in Canada, it's cold as a bastard! Out in Seattle, it rains like bastard! Down in Texas, it's muggy as a bastard!
[Sep 28, 2005 7:10:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Preacher+of+Pie [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

Luck (and format) is what it's all about. I was so overly nervous after that 1st league (and I'm sure there were 3-4 people very close to matching that incred) that I didn't pull above seventh (I think it went 1-8-7-7-8-7) on any duty report after that- was too busy keeping calm and trying to string bingos. If the contest factored position on the duty report, Weaver utterly destroys me as he was topping the list league after league.

And Phade, how about this? We find the 9 best sailors around (via poll or performance, or whatever other method), swing a wbrig on Ice, and go at it for 20 or 25 leagues? I think that would be wildly telling and a lot of fun.
[Sep 28, 2005 7:24:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DragonRage

Heh. I don't have the Ice client. 200 megs through dial-up is an agonizingly long 2+ day download.

Do they have a full installer for it? I might be able to dump it to a USB drive when I'm in class.

Phade,
Curious to see how he'd score on Ice, after Shodan apparently had sparkly sails for 5 leagues and got Booched every time.
[Sep 28, 2005 7:29:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Preacher+of+Pie [Link]  Go to top 
Bugeye00

Curse you demon -.-
I was won positivly livid to see that you got an incread on the first leauge. Tis now my lofty piraety goal and next bakeoff ye wont be so lucky >:D (i think)
Congrats to us all for the 14 way 2nd place tie :D
woohoo for the schizophrenic sailfish! (boohoo they wouldnt let me have the hola-tastic sailfish)

- Hola
If i had that car from "back to the future" Id drive to the past and get some cheap gas

-six, three, hola... whatever
[Sep 28, 2005 7:58:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

I was, too. I booched on FO chat and accidentally wished for your booching on Vessel Chat! (I am such a good sport, aren't I). Oh well, if you hadn't done that, we'd have been sailing forever due to everyone in the top 15 pulling increds all night. By the way, you aren't planning on being at the next sailing bakeoff, are you?
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Sep 29, 2005 6:03:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

That made me giggle, honestly. Made me a mite nervous if it was the one in vessel right after I hit it, but probably helped a ton, all things considered, as giggling was good.
I'm glad I didn't have to sail forever, either...
[Sep 29, 2005 6:07:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
flowenots

First off concrats to the winners!

I was wondering are the final scores posted anywhere?

I my self got a really bad start, not that i would have been among the top sailors anyway. But id still like to know how i ranked against the others. This was my first competition. But it was lot of fun so ill sure try again.
Bluefrog from Viridian Ocean
[Sep 30, 2005 9:52:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chainmaille

Demanyaj: 30
Everyone else: 29.

Edit: And it's "Deman" because D's the Man. Right? Right? Eh? *ahem*
Derakon - Black Plague on Viridian and Sage
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Chainmaille at Sep 30, 2005 11:07:08 AM]
[Sep 30, 2005 9:57:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

I scored 8 in two leagues afore I d/ced and fell off the ship.
Older, crankier,
Tawnee on Midnight.
[Sep 30, 2005 9:58:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
DragonRage

Demanyaj: 30
Everyone else: 29.
Phade: Opressed by The Man, and unable to participate.

Fixed.

Phade,
Screwing around, because DY knows I'm genuinely happy for him.
[Sep 30, 2005 10:00:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Preacher+of+Pie [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

Phade,
Screwing around, because DY knows I'm genuinely happy for him.
I know. Taunt all you want. Makes me laugh at work, makes people look at me funny. Next time, The Man won't bring ya down.

Ya know, I'm afraid for the next Midnight or first Cobalt sail bakeoff. That field is gonna be stacked.

Not that this one wasn't. But it could have been even more so.

And Derakon, it's Demonyaj. I'm in your crew, and you can't spell my name? Eh, makes sense, everyone uses D on /crew anyhow. =p
[Sep 30, 2005 10:08:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DragonRage

Yeah, the next one Oorlian will be able to come to, and I'll be completely screwed. =P

Phade,
Suggesting we just give Oorlian a familiar, acknowledge his sailing greatness, and clear the way for the normal people. ;)
[Sep 30, 2005 10:12:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Preacher+of+Pie [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 35   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates