• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 155
Posts: 155   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15991 times and has 154 replies Next Thread
Amphitrite
OceanMaster

Ahoy, Howdy: BANANA BONANZA! Win a monkey! Reply to this Post

BANANA BONANZA, Midnight's first gunning extravaganza!
Thursday, September 29, 3pm PDT

Ahoy, howdy! Are you quick on the draw? Then enter the Banana Bonanza and see who is the fastest gunner in Midnight! Fabulous prizes await!

There will be no announcement for this event. At precisely 2:30pm, Halosydne will begin jobbing up to 100 people, by request, onto the grand frigate, Fastest Gunner. ***Requests received prior to 2:30 and after 3:00 will be ignored.*** Due to time and space constraints, registration is limited to ocean-wide Legendary and Ultimate gunners with at least Solid experience, only.

The ship will deport and immediately enter a sea battle. One by one, entrants will be called up to gun. Once given the go ahead, an entrant must say "Howdy!" and then take their station as quickly as possible. You must wash out and load all 24 cannons on the vessel, then exit the puzzle and say "Bang!" Your time will be calculated via the log entry timestamp between "Bang!" and "Howdy!" and event referees will be overseeing to be certain no one takes their station before saying "Howdy!", or says "Bang!" before filling all 24 guns. Each contestant will be allowed a maximum of five minutes. Cheaters will be disqualified and planked, so please play fair! Anyone leaving the vessel before the ship ports, forfeits all prizes and gifts.

Each player has only ONE chance. We don't care if you use an alt, so long as you only enter ONE pirate; anyone entering multiple pirates will be disqualified. Yes, we check.

After each entrant has had a turn, you will be ranked by time, and prizes awarded! (In the unlikely event of a tie for first, it will be broken with a sudden-death round.) Prizes are as follows:

1st place: A monkey of your choice! (No white.)
2nd - 10th: Pick one! In the unlikely event of a tie, tied players may choose the same or different prizes; however, once a prize has been picked it will no longer be available to anyone of a lower place.
* A cutter named <adjective> Gunner or <adjective> Triggerfish (name subject to OM approval)
* A sloop named <adjective> Gunner (name subject to OM approval)
* A sloop named <adjective> Triggerfish (name subject to OM approval)
* A crate of large cannonballs and two crates of small cannonballs (furniture items)
* Cannonballs: Choose from either 1000 small, 750 medium, or 500 large
* Maroon rags
* Red/yellow outfit: gown/corset/buckle shoes/laurel or cape/pantaloons/fancy boots/taco hat
* Black/yellow fancy boots
* A portrait with your favorite Oceanmaster

In addition, all entrants who stay until the end of the event, will be entered in a raffle (one ticket per pirate); the winner will receive the sloop "Lucky Gunner"!

CONDUCT ABOARD THE VESSEL:
- This is a very time-sensitive event. You will be told when to take a station; you have one minute to take that station. Should your attempt go over the five-minute time limit, you will be asked to abandon. Should you fail to do as you're asked within a timely fashion (whether because of lag or any other reason), you may be /planked to free the guns for the next contestant. I will do my best to give each contestant a notification that they are next in the queue, but as I have a *lot* of information I need to be tracking all at once, this may not be as feasible as I'd like. I apologize that I must be this strict, but time is of the essence, and I don't want to be glued to the computer for twenty hours any more than the rest of you do.
- We require utter silence while any contestant is gunning. ANY vessel chat while a contestant is gunning will earn the speaker a plank and disqualification... even if it is an unintentional chat booch, or an attempt to help another player find out where they're supposed to be. If you're prone to chat booches, then don't talk at all while someone's gunning. Likewise, if you have questions about where you're supposed to be, ask Halosydne in a tell. I apologize for the strictness in this regard, but you're all gunners, so you understand that distractions would be unfair.
- Regarding "Howdy!" and "Bang!": The clock will NOT start until you say "Howdy!" Not "howdy" or "how!" or any other variation. The clock will not stop, until you say "Bang!" Not "Bang" or "bang" or "ban" or "b" or any other variation. I know this sounds quite picky, but this is necessary to avoid any complaints that anyone had an unfair advantage by shaving a millisecond off their time with sloppy typing.
- Any complaints that will arise during the event should be dealt with *after* the event. Attempting to deal with anything during the event is simply not feasible without halting the entire event, and eating up everyone's time. I'm sorry that it must be so, but everyone's time is valuable, and we will not have the event held up and lasting any longer than it has to because someone thinks it should be run differently. Anyone causing a disruption aboard the vessel during the event, regardless of how justified they may feel in creating that disruption, will be planked and disqualified, and possibly shunned.

It is my hope that these guidelines, while strict, will make for a smoothly-running event.

Remember also that while this may be the first familiar gunning event, it will probably not be the last. This kind of event will become streamlined each time we do it.

Good luck!
----------------------------------------
"People take on the shapes of the songs and the stories that surround them, especially if they don't have their own song." --Mr. Nancy
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Amphitrite at Sep 29, 2005 12:06:13 PM]
[Sep 19, 2005 10:08:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

Re: Ahoy, Howdy: BANANA BONANZA! Win a monkey! Reply to this Post

How long can we expect the event to last? As a front runner (and modest ;) ) in getting a top prize, I'd hate to get a great time then have to leave. The event starts at 11pm on a school night for me fyi

ps. It's the second gunning extravaganza on Midnight.. Quizzical won the last one for the grand prize of a frig..

Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Rmarsbar at Sep 20, 2005 8:45:22 AM]
[Sep 20, 2005 8:40:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
B_licker

I was curious about that too, not that I was planning to enter. 100 contestants, each loading guns one at a time, with a limit of 5 minutes to load 24 guns. That means the contest could potentially last 500 minutes, or nearly 8.5 hours, if only one GF is being used. Any chance that there might be at least 2 GFs available during the contest?
[Edit 2 times, last edit by B_licker at Sep 20, 2005 8:47:01 AM]
[Sep 20, 2005 8:45:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
millroy

Does it have to be that late? I mean geez, I'm GMT+1, and 12am is kinda late isn't it? Even so, if I do make it, and do good, I have to stay on the boat? Why? I mean, I have class the next day...
Man. The same thing happened to me at the sailing bake off.
Argos
[Edit 1 times, last edit by millroy at Sep 20, 2005 9:07:26 AM]
[Sep 20, 2005 8:51:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monix

Any chance this could be divided into smaller groups and that at least one of them could be held in a European-friendly time?
I love this game, but staying up all night and then going to work isn't exactly tempting...
(...but the maroon rags are)

Other than that; great event with awsome prizes! :)
[Sep 20, 2005 9:13:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonlilly

I knew I should have kept up with my gunning skills when Penn told me to back when I started. :/ Darn me putting the PPA and drinking first, lol...

/me goes to the Navy to see if she can concentrate past GM anymore, lol.
Dragonlilly, Captain of SDTC
A very much retired old sea salt! Or would that be sea saltess?
Shanty Raid-io!
[Sep 20, 2005 9:15:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dragonlilly.shantyraidio.com    srdragonlilly    SO+Dragonlilly    101380420 [Link]  Go to top 
llawela

It is hard to choose times that are convenient for everyone. I can see this one being a problem for PDTers who are working or in school and can't get on at 230pm to sign up, plus it is really late for those in GMT+.

As was mentioned above, this event could take a very long time, and the necessity of waiting until the end really makes this an endurance event.

I can also imagine having such a large number of players on a boat causing quite a bit of lag (and chaos).

Any way you'd consider doing two? One that starts earlier, one later? This would solve these issues.
Dioses Y Demonios / Superlemon Krakatoa
[Sep 20, 2005 9:15:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Very exciting event. Too bad I'll still be at work!

I'm sure you've thought of this already, but since I've been thinking through the mechanics of a similar gunning contest for a special event we're planning....

Do be sure to load all the guns and fire them before the first person gets called up to compete - otherwise, the person lucky enough to be first will have the huge advantage of loading clean guns instead of having to wash them out first.

Great event, and I'll be wondering who's winning while I work!
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Sep 21, 2005 12:14:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

If we are not legendary/ultimate, can we still come aboard to help with the bilge/carp/sails to keep the ship afloat and hope for a chance at the Lucky Gunner prize?

(I could probably load them all in 5 minutes, but the prize winners will be under 4.)
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Sep 21, 2005 12:50:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Woo! Gunning tournament not run by me!

EDIT: A friendly sidenote, last time I ran this kind of event, there were several instances that the participants were only seperated by tenths of a second. Chatlogging, last I checked, was only accurate to whole seconds.

Whitefire
So showing up.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Whitefire at Sep 21, 2005 4:28:20 PM]
[Sep 21, 2005 4:25:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

I havent timed myself, so I might be talkin' rubbish, but 5 minutes for 24 cannons makes it 12.5 seconds per cannon. Including washing, seems tight to me.
What will happen if everyone runs over the time? Bit harder to separate on guns loaded since some people load one at a time, whilst others load all at once.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Sep 22, 2005 4:15:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

Head judge - stopwatch - balls loaded at 5 minute mark?
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Sep 22, 2005 5:31:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

The prize winners won't run over.
Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[Sep 22, 2005 8:36:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

Yeah, you're right. A top gunner can fill 4 guns given a solid board in ~35-40 seconds. 6 racks, cleaned and loaded, even with iffy boards, taking 45 seconds a pop is 45 * 6 = 270 seconds. 4:30. That won't place, will it?
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Sep 22, 2005 8:51:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ian_Rhodes

was only 16 last time but i think the times were in the 3 minute marks. hmm what has this got to do with bananas?
Hypnos Score: 4.
[Sep 22, 2005 10:14:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
quixmix

I know alot of people are moaning about the time for this event. And I am not sure who it benefits but most everyone in North America will be unavailable to participate unless they stay home from work or school. I am on the east coast and if I want to make it, I'll have to skip out on work an hour early, if not two, I'd rather not :-\ Any chance it can be rescheduled for the weekend? Pwease.
Ace o' Hearts
Captain of The Last Exiles
[Edit 1 times, last edit by quixmix at Sep 22, 2005 10:24:39 AM]
[Sep 22, 2005 10:24:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amphitrite
OceanMaster

I cannot reschedule this event for any other time this month. We can't accomodate all people's schedules, but try our best to pick a timeslot that's friendly for as many as possible. If you make it-- great. If not, perhaps next time.
"People take on the shapes of the songs and the stories that surround them, especially if they don't have their own song." --Mr. Nancy
[Sep 22, 2005 6:54:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amphitrite
OceanMaster

hmm what has this got to do with bananas?

Monkey=banana, Guns=bonanza

What does baking have to do with duty puzzles? :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Amphitrite at Sep 22, 2005 6:59:30 PM]
[Sep 22, 2005 6:59:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Yeah, you're right. A top gunner can fill 4 guns given a solid board in ~35-40 seconds.

The top gunners can fill dirty boards in 25-30 seconds.
[Sep 22, 2005 9:58:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheCosmicChz

Did any a'yall else check yon Bang! Howdy page tar see if'n thar were any updates, after reading this event description? =P All the Bonanza, Bang, and Howdys gots me trigger finger itchin' *gah that was painfully stilted, need to work on that western drawl some =(*

On topic: As for how long the event would take, expect a lot of people to be disqualified, making the event shorter if the OMs keep a tight ship. No matter what you *will* have people who can't follow directions. Not having an announcement helps, but I'd wager a half dozen people at least will be disqualified for not following directions.

It would end even sooner if a /vessel chat = /plank clause was added. If people wanna chat they cans find chat circles with people they knows.

People will also leave due to mis-estimating time constraints, hopefully before their time to load comes up.

Even so this event does look like it will have a long running time without multiple jobbing ships.

-Dcurd the cynical runner of precious few events
--Dcurd :
Not the cap'n of Dcurd's crew
Stick-wielder of questionable sanity-or something
[Edit 1 times, last edit by TheCosmicChz at Sep 22, 2005 11:16:29 PM]
[Sep 22, 2005 11:15:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    NotSoDreadDcurd [Link]  Go to top 
Ian_Rhodes

Monkey=banana, Guns=bonanza

What does baking have to do with duty puzzles? :)

duck and cover.
Hypnos Score: 4.
[Sep 23, 2005 8:07:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

I cannot reschedule this event for any other time this month. We can't accomodate all people's schedules, but try our best to pick a timeslot that's friendly for as many as possible. If you make it-- great. If not, perhaps next time.

But 3pm PST is hatefull to just about everyone..
PSTers are still/just getting out of work and school
ESTers are home, but can't commit 5 hours on a Thursday for the event
GMT+ers are sleeping/about to sleep so can't stay for the whole show, therefore forfeit

In a test to find the greatest gunner, opening it to just the ESTers who can commit is pretty lame.
Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[Sep 23, 2005 9:09:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
manky

So it's 10pm GMT? And on a Thursday? What's wrong with that? I have lectures the next morning too, but I know where my priorities are, and I'll probably stay for the whole thing ;)

/me dies a happy death

Awww but Sweetie! I was hoping to see you there! Hopefully you'll get something really contagious the day before, and have to stay home :)
the_rock99 wrote: 
Besides, gamers dont cheat. We grind and grind until we get it right.

[Sep 23, 2005 9:14:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DragonRage

What's up with having this stuff on weekday afternoons, anyway?

I'm not much of a gunner, certainly not of the quality to do well in an event like this, but the Vird Sailing bake off was the same kind of thing...

It seems like a pretty stupid time to schedule things, but oh well.

Phade,
Curious (and could make this event if he wanted to. But not the sailing one because it's on a Tuesday when I have class. >.<)
Like, up in Canada, it's cold as a bastard! Out in Seattle, it rains like bastard! Down in Texas, it's muggy as a bastard!
[Sep 23, 2005 9:17:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Preacher+of+Pie [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

So it's 10pm GMT? And on a Thursday?

It's at 11pm and you're not allowed to leave the ship, that's what's wrong with it :P
Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[Sep 23, 2005 9:19:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
manky

Are you suuuuuure? This tells me it starts at 10pm, or am I just stupid?

And I didn't notice we weren't actually allowed to leave, I was too excited! Not really a problem though, there're people I'll be hollering at my laptop cheering for :D

I'm going to have to read the rules again tomorrow, when I'm not bouncing off the walls.
the_rock99 wrote: 
Besides, gamers dont cheat. We grind and grind until we get it right.

[Sep 23, 2005 9:25:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Awww but Sweetie! I was hoping to see you there! Hopefully you'll get something really contagious the day before, and have to stay home :)

Um, thanks, I um think....... :-)

Manky London time is 8 hours ahead of us, so registration starts at 10:30, but the event starts at 11. But I know you'd be there no matter what!

Edit: Or at least it was when I was there last week. It's possible we have a time change before then. Because I never pay attention to those things.

Edit2: Actually the problem is that London is currently GMT+1 - if you use London and LA as the cities, the correct times come up.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by sweetnessc at Sep 23, 2005 10:02:07 AM]
[Sep 23, 2005 9:50:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

You're winning a Monkey. Get it? Yeah.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Sep 23, 2005 10:00:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
monix

I'm GMT +2 (daylight savings), which means this event will start at midnight and probably last beyond the time when I should be at work the following day.
And since I need money to pay for my PP subscription....

I really wish this event would have been scheduled for the weekend, since this is an inconvienient timeslot for so many.
Best of luck to the ones who can make it though. Have fun!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by monix at Sep 23, 2005 10:12:12 AM]
[Sep 23, 2005 10:10:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peanutswench

EDIT: A friendly sidenote, last time I ran this kind of event, there were several instances that the participants were only seperated by tenths of a second. Chatlogging, last I checked, was only accurate to whole seconds.

May I ask how the time will be kept?

On a side note: Will this event stop others like it that are in the works? Meaning ones that have been brought to the attention of OMs not the ocean.
Peanutswench
------
[Sep 23, 2005 11:36:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 155   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates