• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 81
Posts: 81   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10482 times and has 80 replies Next Thread
Nemesis
OceanMaster

[Cob/Vir] September familiar tournaments & auctions! Reply to this Post

What: Automated sword fighting tournament
Where: Viridian
Date: Wednesday, Sept 14
Time: 12:00 PM (Noon) PDT
For whom: Everyone!
By whom: Nemesis
Fee: Nothing!
Prize: Lime octo familiar, at least 200K POE
Format: Best of 3, bring your own sword, cascading arithmetically

What: Automated drinking tournament
Where: Cobalt
Time: 12:00 PM (Noon) PDT
Prize: Black/orange parrot familiar, at least 200K POE
Format: Standard rules, 1 game per match, Goblets only, play to 2000, 5 colors/shapes, cascading arithmetically

What: Automated drinking tournament
Date: Saturday, Sept 24
Time: 10:00 AM PDT
Prize: Orange/black parrot familiar, at least 200K POE
Format: Standard rules, 1 game per match, Goblets only, play to 2000, 5 colors/shapes, cascading exponentially

What: Cobalt familiar auction
Where: Fintan Island (a free whisk will be provided through your local notice board)
Date: Saturday, Sept 24
Time: 10:30 AM PDT
Fee: See details on familiars auctions (below) for more info
Prize: Choice of familiar (type/color)

Where: Cobalt
Date: Wednesday, Sept 28
Time: 5:00 PM PDT
Prize: Orange octo familiar, at least 200K POE
Format: Best of 3, bring your own sword, cascading exponentially

What: Viridian familiar auction
Where: Fintan (a free whisk will be provided through your local notice board)
Date: Wednesday, Sept 28
Time: 5:30 PM PDT
Fee: See details on familiar auctions (below) for more info
Prize: Choice of familiar (type/color)

Details on familiar auctions:
Around 30 minutes before the auction is scheduled to begin, we will put a description of the auction with a free whisk to Tigerleaf on the notice boards. We will also broadcast the event ahead of time, to allow people the chance to get there, either to watch or to bid.

Bidding will be done using /shout. Anyone who is continually making false bids or disrupting the auction will be promptly shunned. To give us time to verify how much POE each bidder has, we might need to take a few breaks. It would help the event run much more smoothly if you let Nemesis know before the auction starts that you plan on bidding.

Bidding will start at 300K POE this time, and bid increments will go up by 50K at first. This will probably be raised later in the auction, depending on how things go. Again, the first bid seen by Nemesis at a value will be the one recognized for that value. I'd like to ask everyone involved with the bidding to wait for Nemesis to recognize a bid and ask for the next one before continuing. As the auction goes on, there might be a few breaks to allow us to get reorganized and to allow the bidders to raise some more funds quickly.

The eventual highest bidder of the auction will need to give Nemesis the amount of the winning bid at the end of the event to qualify as the owner of the new familiar. To allow for unexpectedly high bidding results, that person will have 10 minutes to pay Nemesis the full amount, otherwise priority will pass to the next highest bidder. In the end, the winner can specify the type and color of familiar desired, and we will try to get that to him or her as fast as we can.

All of the available familiar colors can be seen here.

You can use this thread to post questions, comments, suggestions, concerns, and the like. Try to avoid extraneous discussions, please.
----------------------------------------
Hera says, "I wish I was awesome enough to be on #TeamEvil!"
Later...
Hera says, "And the sorry thing is, I can't remember if I said, or didn't say, that."
----------------------------
[Edit 8 times, last edit by Nemesis at Sep 28, 2005 7:49:40 AM]
[Sep 7, 2005 5:40:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chewyshoe

Re: [Cob/Vir] September familiar tournaments & auctions! Reply to this Post

A few things, firstly why are the events the same as last months basically? Also, swordfighting is bring your own and drinking is goblet only. Can there be a bit more consistancy, or will next month be non bring your own for swordfighting and bring your own for drinking?
Funny exam answers | Free online contests
[Sep 7, 2005 10:24:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
meow123_456

Time: 12:00 PM (Noon) PST
Prize: Lime octo familiar, at least 200K POE
Format: Best of 3, bring your own sword, cascading arithmetically

How can i miss a familiar event on my birthday?
Oxbridge of Hunter

Guess Who wrote: 
Pillaging Sucks.

[Sep 7, 2005 10:44:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=209719 [Link]  Go to top 
Xessive

Meh, only complaint is that almost every person under 18/19 will miss the two tournaments on the 14th due to school.

Yes yes, I know, stop complaining, every kid will get another chance. Just mentioning it so others wont miss it the first time reading it like I did.

Hope you old people enjoy your familiar. /e =p

You alone must find the way. No one else can help you. Every way is different. And if you do lose yourself at least take solace in the absolute certainty that you will perish.

[Sep 8, 2005 5:23:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CheekyFox

Xessive wrote: 
Meh, only complaint is that almost every person under 18/19 will miss the two tournaments on the 14th due to school.

Yes yes, I know, stop complaining, every kid will get another chance. Just mentioning it so others wont miss it the first time reading it like I did.

You do know that YPP is played by people in Europe and beyond! They are doing their best to try and include all continents when it comes to competitions and familiars now. This is probably the Europeans chance.

Sit tight mate, I'm sure you'll get your chance soon enough. :0)
Clódagh
Captain of Scarlet Valkyries
Queen of Rans Wrath
[Sep 8, 2005 6:07:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jupiter_lies [Link]  Go to top 
Nemesis
OceanMaster

A few things, firstly why are the events the same as last months basically? Also, swordfighting is bring your own and drinking is goblet only. Can there be a bit more consistancy, or will next month be non bring your own for swordfighting and bring your own for drinking?

As seen in this thread, we will be following a format for familiar events for the next few months. The change in the drinking tournament it is reduce problems we noticed this last time. Sword types had fewer complaints as most people do buy swords since they are needed in skellie fighting, sea battle, etc. Each OM may make changes when they take on a month, but for the most part, things will stay fairly uniform.

Almost every student in the US might miss it, but certainly not elsewhere. Last month, most of the tournaments were at much later times. Times will probably vary from month to month to make sure we're covering timezones semi-monthly.
Later...
Hera says, "And the sorry thing is, I can't remember if I said, or didn't say, that."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nemesis at Sep 8, 2005 6:11:59 AM]
[Sep 8, 2005 6:11:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

And also, your ocean's SF tourney is at 5pm server time on a Wednesday- when everyone in the US is home EXCEPT for PDT adults who can't leave work a little early. And I know that's the one you really want. *grin*
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Sep 8, 2005 6:24:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
weisskruez77

yea, me and a bunch of my friends who play are going to miss it :( for me it doesnt really matter since i kinda dont want the prize....i just want to swordfight....

uhhh lets see...im in central time soo in our time it would be *counts fingers* T_T... ill figure it out later

Hope we get a chance soon to :)

*walks off to get food*

~Rieni
SO of Moonlit Chaos in Midnight Paradise (Viridian)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Curiosity killed the cat
But satisfaction brought it back.
[Sep 8, 2005 7:42:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    wiccanlover777    wolfrain778 [Link]  Go to top 
Nemesis
OceanMaster

uhhh lets see...im in central time soo in our time it would be *counts fingers* T_T... ill figure it out later

Add two hours to the posted times. Add three hours for EST.
Later...
[Sep 8, 2005 7:54:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
weisskruez77

heh thanks....*sigh* so simple.. and thats why im still in school ladies and gentlemen...

wait...grr that means i would only have another hour of school before i get home... *drops her head on the table* so close
SO of Moonlit Chaos in Midnight Paradise (Viridian)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Curiosity killed the cat
But satisfaction brought it back.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by weisskruez77 at Sep 8, 2005 8:03:54 AM]
[Sep 8, 2005 8:02:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    wiccanlover777    wolfrain778 [Link]  Go to top 
bbpuzz

perhaps the wrong place to be asking, but as it's me first post...maybe i can be forgiven

I've been looking in the events thread fer the startup of familiar tourneys on Sage. As i play both Viridian and Sage, the Viridian ones are fine fer me, but out of curiosity, does anyone know if there's a plan fer familiar tourney's on Sage too?

--SO of Neptune's Navy (Viridian)
--Pirate at large (Sage)
--Gandalfss on Viridian
--Severus on Sage
[Sep 8, 2005 8:41:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

It took a few months on Viridian and Cobalt- I guess they want to make sure the economies are cranking (so everyone has boat/sword/mug access) and things are properly stable with puzzle ranks and the like before they get off the ground. It'll be a few months, more likely than not.
[Sep 8, 2005 8:45:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rsenkrantz

It's not like us old folks that WORK can make it to midday events either.

Although no time is perfect for everyone, these events should only be on the WEEKENDS so that everyone has a chance to participate. 10AM PST Saturday works for everyone most of the way around the planet by my reckoning.
"You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
- Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
-Lisakayela
[Sep 8, 2005 8:51:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
Nemesis
OceanMaster

What about people that work weekends? That go to church on Saturday/Sunday? No time is perfect. Wait for a month when it works well for you :)

As the schedule is now, there's two during the week at noon PST. The others are at more work/timezone friendly times.
Later...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nemesis at Sep 8, 2005 9:12:33 AM]
[Sep 8, 2005 9:09:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

What about people that work weekends? That go to church on Saturday/Sunday? No time is perfect. Wait for a month when it works well for you :)

As the schedule is now, there's two during the week at noon PST. The others are at more work/timezone friendly times.

I agree, I have a few mates on me crew and in me flag that can never participate in a blockade because they have to work weekends and blockades are only offered on weekends. So lets not deprive them of a familiar. I just hope this time a Midnighter doesn't come to Cobalt for the drinking tournament and actually break the ToS to participate again.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Sep 8, 2005 10:51:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

As the drinking tourneys this month are both supplied goblet, the issue you are referencing is moot. I just hope for 4 new winners for the competitive familiars, so four new people can experience the joy of familiar ownership. But that's just me.
-DY, who took off work for his. Priorities? Hah. ;)
[Sep 8, 2005 11:10:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chainmaille

Well, that familiar has a real-money value of (using 1300 POE = $.20, and familiars costing 3.8 million POE) $584. Realistically, trying to cash in on 2900 doubloons would probably crash the doubloon market, making the familiar even more expensive.
Derakon - Black Plague on Viridian and Sage
[Sep 8, 2005 11:41:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

People are still putting a price on accomplishment. *giggles*
[Sep 8, 2005 1:30:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
madmanmike

I agree with almost everyone. School will be a big factor but it wont matter. All the oldies will win it anyway... they always do
[Sep 8, 2005 3:31:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
maxmousemm13

Thanks nemesis!! hope i can make the one thats the day before my sis' birthday (sept. 24) but thanks!
XXX STRAIGHT EDGE
Drugs-NO
Alcohol-NO
Hardcore Punk- YES

pretty much sums who i am

Pickemgenius on Viridian
[Sep 8, 2005 3:38:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/heyimabigduhmass [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

Some of us 'old' people have this thing called 'college' and can't make it either, just so you know.

Also, isn't the whole point of a familiar to award those who work for it? (referencing this:

All the oldies will win it anyway... they always do
)

Would you like it if the whole thing was a ... oh, a free raffle that JoePirate that started the game today won?
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Sep 8, 2005 9:30:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

rsenkrantz wrote: 
Although no time is perfect for everyone, these events should only be on the WEEKENDS so that everyone has a chance to participate. 10AM PST Saturday works for everyone most of the way around the planet by my reckoning.

10AM PST Saturday does most certainly NOT work for everyone most of the way around the planet. Might work for you lot in the Northern Hemisphere but Hello! *waves frantically* There's whole other countries with people who are flat out dedicated to this game and who would love the chance to be able to play at a reasonable hour for the automated tournies for familiars. 10am PST - is 3am AEST, 2:30am ACST and 2am in whatever timezone Perth calls itself. And that's just pulling the Aussies in, I also know a largish number of New Zealander mates - for whom 10am PST Saturday is 5am Sunday.

Thank you to the OM's for letting us have a shot at a reasonable hour, we already have to get up at stupid hours if there's a blockade we want to participate in that gets dropped at 12 noon game time.
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Edit 1 times, last edit by starrarose at Sep 8, 2005 11:45:11 PM]
[Sep 8, 2005 11:43:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lothario

Nemesis wrote: 
The change in the drinking tournament it is reduce problems we noticed this last time. Sword types had fewer complaints as most people do buy swords since they are needed in skellie fighting, sea battle, etc. Each OM may make changes when they take on a month, but for the most part, things will stay fairly uniform

Might I inquire as to what problems there were with the drinking tourney that prompted this change? The mug that works best for the configuration you have is obviously the skull and not allowing players to use the optimum tool for the job is a tad bit unfair in my opinion when compared to the bring your own swords. I've never understood why, for the most part, drinking tournies have always been different from the standard set up, yet sword fighting stays the same every time. It seems to me if you want to be fair about it, you need to start having some one match, everyone uses a rapier or dirk sword tournies for familiars or else keep drinking standardized more and allow people to bring their own mugs as you do with swords.

Casanova
[Sep 9, 2005 7:42:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

I'm going to go out on a limb and go with: the swordfighting metagame has six available usable swords that can, in the right hands, win a major tourney (scimitar, s.dagger, left saber, either falchion, right cleaver, right s.sword), which allows for a diverse field and diverse matchups, while still reflecting that the sword alone isn't the game-a better player with a S.sword can win out over a lesser player with a dagger, and a falchion isn't the magic panacea for all swordfighters.
The drinking metagame at the very top comes down to two mugs these days- the skull and the horn, and unless you're exceedingly skilled, the horn does you no good while the skull allows players who should not be winning games turn games on their ear with a good solid fry or keg draw, and removes the hook penalty of stain parity loss. Your skill can be annulled by a double special off of horn bonus turns, or a fry into a 2-3 line can beat what should be superior strategy (as in, leaving a line at your edge 3-2 where your opponent can not play the 6th piece without ceding you the 7th and a 4-3 line).
Just my two cents- but this seems to be a concession that drinking mugs are bit unbalanced, still.
[Sep 9, 2005 8:00:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemesis
OceanMaster

Maybe next month we'll go with no mugs, classic drinking.
Later...
[Sep 9, 2005 8:32:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nowie

Woohoo!
Greendodge says, "Fold: The New Raise."

Shiny avatar by KingPriam
[Sep 9, 2005 8:38:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Nowie21    Nowie411 [Link]  Go to top 
Satyr

The only problem I have with the Drinking tourney is that it's another parrot. SFing is going from a monkey being won to an Octopus being won, while the Drinking stays the same familiar.

On the "Only use a Goblet" thing, well, I guess it's a quick fix. The problem with the 2000 Tourney was that BY FAR Skull had the advantage. Lamoran used a Horn to win his tourney on Cobalt, I don't know how that happened. I guess it doesn't really matter anyway, drinking is set up is whoever is able to use the most kegs to his advantage wins or has a much more chance of winning than his opponent.

However I would like to say that "Everyone uses a stein" or "Everyone uses a chalice" would bring forth a much more skill-related tourney. But maybe that's not the issue.
Mercenary for hire, known for his swashbuckling, dashing ways and being a loud-mouth drunk -- Satyr
[Sep 9, 2005 10:41:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
meow123_456

Maybe drinking WONT have a parrot NEXT month,

i dont care what typr of tourney i enter, as long as i do well and get quite a bit of money
Oxbridge of Hunter

Guess Who wrote: 
Pillaging Sucks.

[Sep 9, 2005 10:53:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=209719 [Link]  Go to top 
kerix

/me applauds the goblet-only decision

though, no viridian bakeoff?
[Sep 9, 2005 11:25:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

That was last month. The bakeoffs are cycling about the oceans, one per month. They are quite a bit more labor intensive than the auto-tourneys.
[Sep 9, 2005 11:32:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 81   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates