• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 58
Posts: 58   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12340 times and has 57 replies Next Thread
Prometheus
OceanMaster

[Cobalt][Fin]September 17th Carpentry Bake-Off. Win a Monkey!

Yarr!

Date: September 17th
Time: 12pm Pacific

Event Details:

Event Host: Cronos
Participant limit: 120
Number of rounds: 5
Number of leagues per round: 6
Total leagues: 30

- There will be no announcement for this event. About 30 minutes before the start, Cronos will begin jobbing people onto the vessel. Send him a /tell for a job any time after 11:30 PDT. Remember that there are limited spaces available! Jobbing ends once the vessel hits the limit or at the start time, whichever comes first.
- The ship will be ported at the very beginning and middle of each round.
- Anyone leaving the vessel before the end of the bake-off finishes will forfeit any prizes or presents. While you are on board, we ask that you keep quiet so as not to create distractions.
- Participants are allowed to leave their stations. Anyone using this to be annoying or who makes a general annoyance of themselves will be planked. Participants may not, however, exit their duty station for more than a few seconds at a time; we're testing your puzzling ability over the full set of leagues, not just the first half of each!
- No navigator will be used.
- Each participant will Carp for six leagues. The ship will have 24 sailors, 24 carpenters, and 12 bilgers at all times.
- Participants are responsible for being at the right place at the right time. We will tell you where you need to be. Get there as quickly as you can so we can get going!
- We expect the five rounds of puzzling to last approximately 4 hours, so please plan accordingly when you join.
- At the end of the last round we will pool all the scores together and rank the top few to determine prizes. Any ties will be broken at that time on a different vessel or navy ship, spectators are welcome to come watch and see who wins as long as they can behave.
- If we run into problems, difficulties or anything that we feel causes an imbalance in the rounds, we will take the 1st place players from each round and do a tiebreaker with them for first prize.
- Anyone leaving the ship before the end of that run will forfeit any and all prizes or presents

PVP will not be tolerated. Prepare to be boarded, booted and your ship thrown to the ends of the seas without any rum or shot.

Station Capacity is as follows:

C
P S a
i a r B
r i p i
a l e l
t i n g
e n t e
s g r
Type y
/----------|---|---|---|---\
|Sloop | 7 | 3 | 2 | 2 |
|Cutter |12 | 5 | 3 | 2 |
|M. Brig |20 | 6 | 9 | 6 |
|War Brig |30 | 9 | 6 | 4 |
|M.Galleon |45 | 9 |14 |14 |
|W.Frigate |75 |18 |18 |12 |
|G.Frigate |150|30 |24 |16 |
\--------------------------/

Scoring:
- Incredible: 5 pts
- Excellent: 4 pts
- Good: 3 pts
- Fine: 2 pts
- Poor: 1 pt
- Booched/Learning: nada!

Scorekeeping:
- We will try to have at least 2-3 scorekeepers per round, which should account for any mistakes.
- As a secondary check we will try to have someone taking a screenshot log of each duty report so we can recheck any as needed.
- Volunteers will be needed to help keep score. Send Prometheus a PM or e-mail Prometheus@puzzlepirates.com if interested.

Prizes:
Overall 1st - a Monkey in the color of your choice! (Exception: White)

2nd -> 10th - pick one! Any tied players may choose the same or different prizes, however, once a prize has been picked it will no longer be available to anyone of a lower place.
- Sloop named <adjective> Carp (you can pick the adjective pending approval)
- Gold or Black Boots
- Cleaver (no black or white)
- Chalice (no black or white)
- Female or Male outfit: Swash Jacket/pants/shoes/hat -or- Gown/Corset/Laurel (no black or gold)
- Female or Male Outfit: Stripey shirt/knickers/bandana (any color)
- Maroon rags
- A portrait with your favorite Oceanmaster
- Set of maps for the archipelago of your choice (adjacent interarch included)

Good luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Prometheus at Sep 17, 2005 4:34:15 PM]
[Sep 6, 2005 2:18:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
rroberts

Re: [Cobalt]September 17th Carpentry Bake-Off. Win a Monkey!

I wouldn't mind winning Cleaver. Shouldn't he be a higher-ranked prize though?
[Sep 6, 2005 2:43:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chestertongrant.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
rubirubia

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!
Bloodymaddy wrote: 
yeah im so booched today

Las cosas mas raras pasan asi, de pronto.
Sebille | Moogles of Mayhem | I don't remember the flag...
[Sep 6, 2005 4:36:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    witty_indecision    rubirubia [Link]  Go to top 
loopylindsay

Squee! I'm so pleased, thank you :)

Except that this may be during my cousin's wedding shower, so now I may have to curl up in a ball and cry...
Lawanda on Colbalt
Member of the crew In War We Trust
Lady of the flag Something Powerful
Oowin on Midnight
Lucy on Ice
[Sep 6, 2005 6:55:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingGoob

Aww man! Is the 'portrait with yer fave OM' a new prize? That's way cooler than a familiar. Too bad I won't be around.... and that I'm not a very good carper anyway. I sure hope the portrait is offered again. Yippee!
Jack Handey wrote: 
If they ever come up with a swashbuckling school, I think one of the courses should be laughing, then jumping off something.

[Sep 7, 2005 9:06:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

Portrait with an OM was offered for the Viridian duty puzzle bakeoff- I don't think anyone actually took it (though it is a damned cool prize, nonetheless). Maybe it'll be offered more often in the future?
-DY, who really wants a portrait with Artemis
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Sep 7, 2005 9:18:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

/me runs off to hone his carping skills
[3238211 hours pass]
Bostonian has abandoned a duty station

Yeah....I still suck at carp. Good luck to everyone though, and I hope someone gets that portrait with an OM...that's definitely as nice as a familiar in many ways.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Sep 7, 2005 9:27:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rubirubia

I may not have a portrait with and OM. But I do have a portrait of an OM.

Thanks again Lelantos :D
Bloodymaddy wrote: 
yeah im so booched today

[Sep 7, 2005 10:12:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    witty_indecision    rubirubia [Link]  Go to top 
Lowain

- The ship will be ported at the very beginning and middle of each round.
- We expect the five rounds of puzzling to last approximately 4

- Maroon rags

i 'm gonna start practising for this one :D .

how long a break do we get at port, because my connection dissconects ever 2 hours so i'll need about 40 secs to re-dail up.

also whats so special about maroon rags, can they not normally be made?

thanks
[Sep 7, 2005 1:55:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

The only rags that spawn normally are red/blue/white/tan.
Most recently, lime rags were given away on Viridian for the duty puzzle bakeoff, and offcolor rags have been used as high end tourney prizes and familiar runner up prizes for over a year.
[Sep 7, 2005 2:01:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
psychox

Did i get that wrong or thats right the time when uncolonized blockades usualy start?
If so , please change it and dont smash a good chance for a great battle show in Tigerleaf , having people go for the event would screw the chances for a good battle in Cobalt which we muchly miss...
Rivered says, "I love seeing the governor at the table makes me feel much better about my tax money..."
Hohumdiddly lovely said:

Shrike, stop talking please and do your homework before you speak.

[Sep 8, 2005 9:24:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rubirubia

For one reason or another I thought it was 12 AM... But you are totally right Psy. 12 PM PST is the earliest a blockade could start if you drop a chest ASAP on a Friday.

Please consider changing the event time Cronos! This is going to be a good blockade that Cobalt does need. If you make us choose neither event will be of the caliber we would like them to be.

There will be a massive talent drain depending where the carpers go. I think it would be a serious booch to have them both at the same time.

Yes you can say , 'drop the chest later.' But the bake off has more fexiblity sheduling wise. Blockades are already set to be in a certian time frame of which we are/have worked our RLs around. Making us choose would just plain suck.
Bloodymaddy wrote: 
yeah im so booched today

[Sep 8, 2005 9:35:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    witty_indecision    rubirubia [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

Select according to your priorities- no one stopped the last sailing bakeoff on Mid because of FOUR blockades- blockades will not be shut off due to familiar events, and familiar events will not be shut off for blockades; there is precedent all over the place for this, most recent being the BD sword tourney coincident with the opening of Lagniappe. Get everyone to agree to drop the chest for a later Saturday or Sunday blockade, or prepare to see your boats sink faster as the top 80 or so Cobalt carpers take their swing at a familiar. =)
[Sep 8, 2005 9:41:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

I agree about not changing familiar events around blockades, but, it is a shame this event isn't on Sunday so there would be more to do on the ocean that day.

/me waits for the bilge bakeoff and it WILL take priority over everything else! harr
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Sep 8, 2005 10:39:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Not to mention you don't have to drop right at the start of the window. Do it Sunday so you can compete. If there are multiple contenders, talk to them, see if everyone can agree on a later blockade so you can try for your baby kraken. The Social Puzzle can help.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Sep 8, 2005 1:46:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rubirubia

Its a monkey :P
Bloodymaddy wrote: 
yeah im so booched today

[Sep 8, 2005 1:52:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    witty_indecision    rubirubia [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

Its a monkey :P

Works either way.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Sep 8, 2005 2:03:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shadowofdoom

i cant wait for the carp-off in Viridian!
[Sep 11, 2005 3:22:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
meow123_456

i cant wait for the carp-off in Viridian!

there was one last month
Oxbridge of Hunter

Guess Who wrote: 
Pillaging Sucks.

[Sep 11, 2005 11:27:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=209719 [Link]  Go to top 
shazwilky

Can a prize be taken by your pirate on a different ocean please?
Shazbot - Midnight
[Sep 12, 2005 2:38:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lothario

Shazwilky wrote: 
Can a prize be taken by your pirate on a different ocean please?

No.

Casanova
[Sep 12, 2005 9:13:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hohumdiddly

Well i have to think that planning a familiar event when there wasn't any planned uncolonized island opening up, i would understand. But to plan a bakeoff when it's been announced for a few weeks now, i just don't understand. I ask to please change the event to the sunday when nothing is going on. I won't go on for ages about it, just my plea to do something good for the ocean and all parties involved.

Hohum
Mazi says, "and i have freckles"
Mazi says, "and i turn into a big freckle when exposed to rays of light"
Prosperity says, "I get cute little freckles on my nosey"
[Sep 12, 2005 7:09:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Convince the interested flags to drop on Saturday. Or even late Friday.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Sep 12, 2005 7:19:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
drinkywinky

Fiddler wrote: 
Convince the interested flags to drop on Saturday. Or even late Friday.

2 long events (4 hours of carping, 3-5 hours of Blockading) in any weekend is a bad idea. If this has to happen, it would have been better to announce the fixed time Carp Contest before the Blockades.

Meh. Life goes on. I hope there's more coordination on these events in the future.
[Sep 13, 2005 7:05:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

The blockade is considered an Event isn't it since the OM's/Admins are releasing an island for blockading. That is why the bake off should be
considered a conflict and be changed to Sunday or immediately following
the finish of the Tigerleaf blockade. (If the blockade were player chosen,
such as a flag deciding to drop on it's own on a colonized island, then
it would not be a conflict)

Is there a minimum ranking/Experience to be considered. Because an alt surely can start as an Apprentice/Able and easily hold Incredible for 6 leagues at beginning, where the higher experienced/rated players start at a much harder level to get increds in the first 2 leagues.

120 potential jobbers (especially skilled carpers who are a commodity
at SINKING blockade) where jobbers are at a premium, could potentially
affect the outcome of the blockade itself, not to mention
the midnight overflow alts who will come on solely to try and win this
COBALT event.

Bake-Offs need to have experience levels to ensure the participants
are ocean regulars otherwise the familiars get passed around as favors
by players who are not residents on this ocean.

Side Note: Perhaps to end the Midnight bleeding prizes and tourneys
from the natives of Cobalt, perhaps a different thread is needed to discuss
to make Cobalt/Midnight require separate subscriptions...where when you
create you choose Cobalt/Midnight and can upgrade to get access to
both subscription oceans. Where you could subcribe to Cobalt, but be allowed access to the doubloon oceans without subscription upgrade.
Cobalt was founded by Midnight crossovers, but hasn't Cobalt itself
grown to the point where it can survive independently without the
midnight bleeders?

Heh...I hope Cronos remembers as seeing he hasn't been on Cobalt
since August 29th.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by d4rk0n3 at Sep 14, 2005 8:56:37 AM]
[Sep 14, 2005 8:35:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

Seeing as blockades can happen most weekends and carpentry bakeoffs do not, a blockade is really not an event per se, while a bakeoff is. There's still precedent that you have to choose what's more important to you- a blockade, or a contest. Not going to change. Also note that there's TL on Viridian and the Gaea giveway on Midnight. How about we postpone those, too?

There is no experience requirement. It's NOT easy to carry a sparkly on 3 and 4 star carp with 4 and 6 holes respectively- one iffy hole and you're staring down an excellent. It's seriously not that big an issue- the last four bakeoffs (full duty Vir- carpentry Mid- sailing Mid- full duty Mid) were won by players with full ults in the duty puzzles. Also, even if an alt does exceptionally well, these bakeoffs usually have tiebreakers- and that able will have the proper rating going into a tiebreaker anyhow.

Yep. I'm glad that blockaders will have to be extra wily without their favorite top flight carpers around, potentially. More fun for all! More sinky sinky for all! Get the chest dropped at a different time- use the Social Puzzle.

I won't even get into the health of server argument. That, as you said, is for a different time and place.

Good luck to everyone, whatever they chose to do this weekend. =)
[Sep 14, 2005 8:54:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

Seeing as blockades can happen most weekends and carpentry bakeoffs do not, a blockade is really not an event per se, while a bakeoff is. There's still precedent that you have to choose what's more important to you- a blockade, or a contest. Not going to change.

Players cannot decide to just open uninhabitable islands can they?
Hence this should be considered an event. Blockades being decided
by flags dropping is a different issue.

Also note that there's TL on Viridian and the Gaea giveway on Midnight. How about we postpone those, too?

Each ocean is governed differently and independently ran. One ocean
should not and never will have impact on another as it is designed that
way. (Could you picture flags/crews being transferrable ocean to ocean?)

For the Tigerleaf being released by the Admins/OMs on Viridian, no
read part about each ocean being independent. If you choose to change
to a different ocean that is a whole different matter than having to
decide between 2 OM/Admin hosted or allowed events on the same
ocean. If the bake-off were being held on Virdian, the conflict would
be on Viridian, not Cobalt.

Is it really that complicated?

If Tigerleaf could be blockaded at will and decided by players....then uhm...
why hasn't it been blockaded until this weekend....oh yeah...the Ringers
declared it to be able to blockadable....also keep in mind that blockades
can only be declared in certain time frames. This restriction itself merits
other OM hosted events being scheduled around it...not within it...otherwise we would have blockades on Wednesdays....other OM events are being ran today (wow...you can't drop on an island today to conflict now can you?).

2 Overlapping OM events merit conflict if are on same ocean.

Interesting:
The event was posted: Sep 6, 2005 10:18:09 PM knowing full well
there was a blockade scheduled at same time/day. Perhaps this
is an attempt to disrupt the blockade...hosted by an alt with no
stats and no crew. This should be looked into by the Ringers.

A non established player within an ocean requests a familiar event be
ran purposefully to conflict with the blockade as an attempt to sway
skilled jobbers who would normally be in the blockade....perhaps not
on his politically supported side.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by d4rk0n3 at Sep 14, 2005 9:18:26 AM]
[Sep 14, 2005 9:08:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cybrpyro

Life is about choices, just like this. You can choose to be in the blockade, or you can choose to be in the bake-off. Personally, I am just happy to see OM events take place and welcome them wholeheartedly even when I can not participate in them. I think it's great that they take the time out to interact with the pirates in a way that is not responding to complaints... i.e. Spur of the moment tournies and the like.

It's hard enough for an OM (I imagine) that all day they listen to people tart, then they try and do something nice and give out a familiar (or some other prize) and have people tart over that.

Lighten up people and enjoy the game.

Whoops, forgot to mention that no blockade has been declared yet... (Yes we all know that one will be)

/me tosses his 2 PoE into the ring
Cybrpyro on da Cobalt ocean...as well as the rest

Perilous Puppet Theater
Freak-a-zoid wrote: 
Cybr-dude puts the F. U. in fun!!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by cybrpyro at Sep 14, 2005 9:23:58 AM]
[Sep 14, 2005 9:20:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

It is, again, worth noting that it's not at all necessary to blockade during the bake-off event. The chest can always be dropped saturday for a sunday blockade.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 

Av by Ecastasy
[Sep 14, 2005 9:20:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
meteu164

Choices, blockade with my flag, enter the only tourney I actually might have a chance at winning (although doubtfully).

Well it's on to the blockade for me in support of my flag. Maybe someday I'll get to carp for a prize.

-Ohogan
Cleaver wrote:

Crashing Puzzle Pirates with your giant rack just isn't a good user experience for anyone.

[Sep 14, 2005 9:31:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 58   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates