• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 57
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12767 times and has 56 replies Next Thread
Amphitrite
OceanMaster

[Fin] Viridian Duty Puzzle Bake-off!

[size=16]Viridian's First Duty Puzzle Bake-off!

Date: August 5th, 2005
Time: 9am PDT

Event Details:

Event Host: Halosydne
Participant limit: 72
Number of rounds: 3
Number of leagues per round: 6
Total leagues: 18

- There will be no announcement for this event. About 30 minutes before the start, Halosydne will begin jobbing people onto the Sea Horse. Send her a /tell for a job any time after 8:30am PDT. Remember that there are limited spaces available!
- The ship will be ported at the very beginning of each round. Also, there will be a delay in between the third and fourth leagues, as the bilgers switch off.
- Anyone leaving the vessel before the end of the third round will forfeit any prizes or presents. While you are on board, we ask that you keep quiet so as not to create distractions.
- Participants are allowed to leave their stations. Anyone using this to be annoying or who makes a general annoyance of themselves will be planked. Participants may not, however, exit their duty station for more than a few seconds at a time; we're testing your puzzling ability over the full set of leagues, not just the first half of each!
- No navigator will be used.
- Each participant will sail six leagues, carp six leagues, bilge three leagues, and laze about for three leagues. The ship will have 24 sailors, 24 carpenters, and 12 bilgers at all times.
- Participants are responsible for being at the right place at the right time. We will tell you where you need to be. Get there as quickly as you can so we can get going!
- We expect the three rounds of puzzling to last approximately 4 hours, so please plan accordingly when you join.
- At the end of the last round we will pool all the scores together and rank the top few to determine prizes. Any ties will be broken at that time on a different vessel or navy ship, spectators are welcome to come watch and see who wins as long as they can behave.
- If we run into problems, difficulties or anything that we feel causes an imbalance in the rounds, we will take the 1st place players from each round and do a tiebreaker with them for first prize.
- Anyone leaving the ship before the end of that run will forfeit any and all prizes or presents

PVP will not be tolerated. Prepare to be boarded, booted and your ship thrown to the ends of the seas without any rum or shot.

Station Capacity is as follows:

C
P S a
i a r B
r i p i
a l e l
t i n g
e n t e
s g r
Type y
/----------|---|---|---|---\
|Sloop | 7 | 3 | 2 | 2 |
|Cutter |12 | 5 | 3 | 2 |
|M. Brig |20 | 6 | 9 | 6 |
|War Brig |30 | 9 | 6 | 4 |
|M.Galleon |45 | 9 |14 |14 |
|W.Frigate |75 |18 |18 |12 |
|G.Frigate |150|30 |24 |16 |
\--------------------------/

Scoring:
- Incredible: 5 pts
- Excellent: 4 pts
- Good: 3 pts
- Fine: 2 pts
- Poor: 1 pt
- Booched/Learning: nada!

BONUS POINTS:
- 1 additional point for the top scorer in each duty!

Scorekeeping:
- We will try to have at least 2-3 scorekeepers per round, which should account for any mistakes.
- As a secondary check we will try to have someone taking a screenshot log of each duty report so we can recheck any as needed.
- Volunteers will be needed to help keep score. Send Amphitrite a PM or e-mail amphitrite@puzzlepirates.com if interested.

Prizes:
Overall 1st - an Octopus in the color of your choice!

2nd -> 10th - pick one! Any tied players may choose the same or different prizes, however, once a prize has been picked it will no longer be available to anyone of a lower place.
- Sloop named <adjective> Sailfish or <adjective> Carp (you can pick the adjective pending approval)
- Gold or black Boots
- Cleaver (no black or white)
- Chalice (no black or white)
- Female or Male outfit: Swash Jacket/pants/shoes/hat -or- Gown/Corset/Laurel (no black or gold)
- Female or Male Outfit: Stripey shirt/knickers/bandana (any color)
- Lime rags
- A portrait with your favorite Oceanmaster
- Set of maps for the archipelago of your choice (adjacent interarch included)

Good luck!
----------------------------------------
"People take on the shapes of the songs and the stories that surround them, especially if they don't have their own song." --Mr. Nancy
[Edit 6 times, last edit by Amphitrite at Jul 26, 2005 12:34:54 PM]
[Jul 26, 2005 12:34:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dendriekus

Re: [Fin] Viridian Duty Puzzle Bake-off!

can someone convent the time to GMT +02:00
End of the world at 2006 07 12 realy or at 2012

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/gunsniperzsig.jpg

This thing is rigth
[Jul 27, 2005 12:30:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    dovis_e@yahoo.com [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

PDT is server time (use /info) and is -8 GMT.
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Jul 27, 2005 12:37:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

Will the additional points for being the top scorer in a particular duty be used as tiebreakers or added to the total score? This may prove unfair, as it does depend on whom you are puzzling against for a particular puzzle.
Dubbrub - The Mad Professor next door
[Jul 27, 2005 12:45:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

And will that be top dutier on the report each league getting one add'l point?
[Jul 27, 2005 12:49:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
meow123_456

Which Route is being used?
Oxbridge of Hunter

Guess Who wrote: 
Pillaging Sucks.

[Jul 27, 2005 6:02:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=209719 [Link]  Go to top 
LuisSilver

Is it ocean time? Usa time?
Counselor of the Pirate of the south Monkeybeard
[Jul 27, 2005 11:58:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Amphitrite
OceanMaster

The bonus point is per duty, per league. The top scorers from each of the three groups will be included in the tiebreaker.

The time is 9am PDT. That's Pacific Daylight Time, which is the time you see when you type "/info" in game.

The route will not be announced prior to the event.
"People take on the shapes of the songs and the stories that surround them, especially if they don't have their own song." --Mr. Nancy
[Jul 27, 2005 2:40:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rroberts

Will brigands be turned off for that route for the allotted time?
[Jul 28, 2005 6:51:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.chestertongrant.co.uk [Link]  Go to top 
ceryl

Demonyaj wrote: 
PDT is server time (use /info) and is -8 GMT.

Being on summer time hours, I think it might be GMT -7 currently. (UK is GMT +1 despite being where Greenwich is)
[Jul 28, 2005 6:08:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kheffin

Amphitrite wrote: 
We expect the three rounds of puzzling to last approximately 4 hours, so please plan accordingly when you join.

Erm, could you explain to me why this event will take 4 hours? 18 leagues doesn't sound like it'd take that long, even when factoring in the time it takes to get all the puzzlers on duty. Perhaps I'm ignorant, but I know for a fact that after 2 hours of puzzling I'd be scoring worse than usual out of fatigue- I don't even want to imagine my scores after 4.
Kheffin- Viridian Ocean
[Jul 28, 2005 6:21:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

1- It's a grand frigate, which has a lower maximum speed than other ships.
2- They need to record the entirety of each duty report at each league point, which takes a non trivial amount of time.
3- Station wrangling on a GF? Severe pain- expect a chorus of "I can't find stations" or the like.
4- You always overestimate time frames for something like this. Sometimes things come up you can't predict. Just be sure to block out enough time because you could be taking the spot of a participant who could have done the whole thing, and that's just not cool.
[Jul 28, 2005 10:48:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cpthook04

About standing some time in league points: In bilging afaik i.e crabs worths different when you have a maxxed bilge than an empty one, if i.e. just when going out of port bilge is zero, but at the league where there is a rotation in bilgers bilge is max things could be unfair.
[Jul 29, 2005 3:26:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

cpthook04 wrote: 
About standing some time in league points: In bilging afaik i.e crabs worths different when you have a maxxed bilge than an empty one, if i.e. just when going out of port bilge is zero, but at the league where there is a rotation in bilgers bilge is max things could be unfair.

With a filled GF, this is unlikely to happen unless everyone happens to be bad at bilging. I expect at least half of the puzzlers to pull Incredibles or Excellents which is more than enough to keep the bilge level down.
Dubbrub - The Mad Professor next door
[Jul 29, 2005 4:00:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Actually, of more concern is the bilge switchoff.

People who get onto bilge when the ship is more or less "up to speed" will have a lot less time to work on their first league than people who got the position after the initial deporting.

Will this be addressed somehow?
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Jul 29, 2005 4:20:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tamsin

emerson wrote: 
Actually, of more concern is the bilge switchoff.

People who get onto bilge when the ship is more or less "up to speed" will have a lot less time to work on their first league than people who got the position after the initial deporting.

Will this be addressed somehow?

With the monkey bake-off on Midnight, the way this was handled was by porting every three leagues. (I think we did the Midsummer to Olivia run) That way speed gets knocked back down to zero, which should equalize things for all the bilging shifts. I would imagine something similar would be done for this run.
It's gingerbread and we love it.
[Jul 29, 2005 6:57:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LuisSilver

So exactly what time is it in New,York for the bake off?Just want to be sure i dont miss it.
Counselor of the Pirate of the south Monkeybeard
[Jul 29, 2005 7:56:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Noon.

I believe that if you log on to the ocean and type /info, it will give you the server time. You can always computer from that (server time is Pacific)
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Jul 29, 2005 8:01:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ellstar

Sounds fun! I'd LOVE to participate...

Too bad I'll be at work :(
~Pirates~
Ellstar sails on the Viridian Ocean
RingoStarr sails on the Viridian Ocean
Amarise sails on the Midnight Ocean
[Jul 29, 2005 10:57:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://househippo.org [Link]  Go to top 
Laetithya

its 6 am in europe... i cant wait till it starts coz its too late and cant also wake up to go play... no conditions for gaming. :(
[Jul 31, 2005 9:12:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Are you sure it's 6am in Europe? It's more likely to be very late in the day, as Pacific time is GMT-8.

9am should therefore be about 5pm, give or take an hour or two depending where you are in Europe.
[Jul 31, 2005 1:12:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UJP

Hello - Ahoy

I'm a greeny! Is this open to all players or just subscribers
I'm in NZ and would love to have a go if it's allowed

my email is ursulapinder@hotmail.com

Thanks Kiwigal
The Prettiest Ole Salt on the Ocean
Luvverly / Kowhai / Liljake
**Known by this and other names on various oceans**
[Jul 31, 2005 8:22:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ysanne007

UJP wrote: 
Hello - Ahoy

I'm a greeny! Is this open to all players or just subscribers
I'm in NZ and would love to have a go if it's allowed

my email is ursulapinder@hotmail.com

Thanks Kiwigal

It's in Viridian, it's a doublon ocean, no subscription there.
Neerie of the Hunter Ocean
Formerly known as Reenie and Maeve on Viridian.
[Jul 31, 2005 9:37:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UJP

thanks Ysanne
The Prettiest Ole Salt on the Ocean
Luvverly / Kowhai / Liljake
**Known by this and other names on various oceans**
[Jul 31, 2005 9:44:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Arg >< I have to work...stupid Lions vs. Edmonton game...BC better win for what I'm giving up! :p
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Aug 1, 2005 2:16:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

The top scorers get a bonus point?

How do you tell the top scorer?

Remember, that if there's a tie, someone is arbitrarily choosen to be listed first.
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Aug 1, 2005 10:08:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Darkaardvark

Err? You mean an exact tie? Or a tie in the "word" score? Because I thought the ranking among each standing was based on score, for example, the higher excellent has a better score.
Pleun wrote: 
Try searching using the correct spelling, the search option is very picky about that.

(Avatar by Synful.)
[Aug 1, 2005 12:57:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quinthanius

So if the puzzles are set at 6 sails 6 carp and 3 bilge. Seems to me the bilgers don't have a fair chance at this familiar. Say you score top on all the leagues at bilge you get 5 + 1 each league that adds up to 18 points total. Well a top sailor can counter your points by just getting an incredable on bilge cause he scored 3 more points than you did cause he had three more leagues to rack up points. To make the competition fair at all there must be 6 leagues of bilge for the bilgers to even have a chance. Cause I have talked to some of the top sailors and carpenters and they all say that they can just glide an incred only on bilge and probably be set to win the competion.

So over all just asking for bilgers to be given a fair chance at this puzzle off by extending the bilge leagues to 6 also then you can pick a 6 league route and not worry about switching people around mid route.
-Calais
[Aug 2, 2005 9:03:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Darkaardvark

Yeah, I don't really understand why bilge is only 3 leagues. It's not as though it's too hard to do it for 6 straight leagues.
Pleun wrote: 
Try searching using the correct spelling, the search option is very picky about that.

(Avatar by Synful.)
[Aug 2, 2005 10:55:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

I may be reading the contest wrong, but it appears that scores are combined from ALL duty stations.

So even though there's only 3 leagues of bilging, everyone will have the same "short" bilge round, so the scores will equalize.

So your score consists of what you earn from 6 sail leagues, 6 carp leagues, and 3 bilge leagues.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.
[Aug 2, 2005 11:11:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates