• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 156
Posts: 156   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9226 times and has 155 replies Next Thread
rakshan

Ice-Ocean access to non-subscribers Reply to this Post

Any chance of letting Viridian players a chance of helping with testing on Ice?

I wanna help testing, but I dont want to become a subscriber
(Yeah, commitment issues!)

maybe ppl on viridian with some broad experience can be allowed to login to ice ?

rax
[Jul 15, 2005 6:17:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaet

Re: Ice-Ocean access to non-subscribers Reply to this Post

I hope not. It would be exactly like playing completely for free.

Ye need to subscribe, mate.
[Jul 15, 2005 6:19:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rakshan

Im sure that all subscribers also think that ppl on viridian are playing free.

How about getting some of the doubloon strategy onto Ice?
For example, for $9.95, give a person 40,000 poe and access to Ice Ocean.
(That way, you're not actually getting the douboons into Ice, but just the concept of buying poe to play)

I'd be more than glad to buy some poe and some time on Ice and try the new things and help find the bugs.

rax
[Jul 15, 2005 7:07:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Starfaller

rakshan wrote: 
Im sure that all subscribers also think that ppl on viridian are playing free.

How about getting some of the doubloon strategy onto Ice?
For example, for $9.95, give a person 40,000 poe and access to Ice Ocean.
(That way, you're not actually getting the douboons into Ice, but just the concept of buying poe to play)

I'd be more than glad to buy some poe and some time on Ice and try the new things and help find the bugs.

rax

We already tested doubloons on Ice. And NONE of us got PoE when starting Ice, why should you?

Ahh, now I know there was an extra benefit for subscribing! w000t!
----------------------------------------
Synful
Looseweed wrote: 

YPP bout fun. No bout ego

[Jul 15, 2005 7:15:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Synful62 [Link]  Go to top 
rakshan

Starfaller wrote: 

We already tested doubloons on Ice. And NONE of us got PoE when starting Ice, why should you?

Ahh, now I know there was an extra benefit for subscribing! w000t!

Why should I ?
Coz Im paying $9.95 for it.

Anyway, well, I didnt know that Ice has a dobloon economy.
My suggestion of poe for cash was because thats how the Game developers get paid.

Players buy doubloons with cash/credit-card, they exchange doubloons for POE at the bank, they use the POE in the game for buying stuff.

So, $9.95 => 47db (currently)
and 1 db => 1000 POE (at the exchange)

so, $9.95 => 47,000 POE (if you dont want to implement a doubloon exchange and economy)
[Jul 15, 2005 7:41:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
VPeric

Actually, this has been disscussed before, with the idea of a purchaseable "Ice Badge" on Viridian. I'm sure someone will be able to find the right thread for you (Me busy - Housing!).
Wlada, Former King of Bloody Hell and former Captain of Sudden Death, Cobalt.
Vlada, Officer of the Rudder Royals, Azure.
[Jul 15, 2005 7:47:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaet

Why don't ye just pay $9.95 to subscribe? Then ye can play on Ice as your main ocean. Of course, ye get no free poe for your subscription, but that's how the rest of us started.

Doubloons were tested on Ice, but it doesn't have a doubloon economy now. That version of Ice was wiped and everyone had to start over.
[Jul 15, 2005 7:47:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Starfaller

Kaet wrote: 
Doubloons were tested on Ice, but it doesn't have a doubloon economy now. That version of Ice was wiped and everyone had to start over.

Aye, with no poe and in rags and our stats all novice and able. I could see allowing doubloon pirates who purchase $9.95 per month worth of doubloons directly with a credit card to be allowed to test on Ice but if you don't buy $9.95 worth of doubloons a particular month, yer account is suspending just like ours is and of course, they start like the rest of us do, on Pollywog in rags with nothing but a foil to call our own. Pirates who purchase doubloons with PoE should be ineligible for testing ocean.
Synful
Looseweed wrote: 

[Jul 15, 2005 8:02:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Synful62 [Link]  Go to top 
Kaet

Starfaller wrote: 
I could see allowing doubloon pirates who purchase $9.95 per month worth of doubloons directly with a credit card to be allowed to test on Ice but if you don't buy $9.95 worth of doubloons a particular month, yer account is suspending just like ours is and of course, they start like the rest of us do, on Pollywog in rags with nothing but a foil to call our own. Pirates who purchase doubloons with PoE should be ineligible for testing ocean.

Not that I know or anything, but I doubt there is currently a mechanism for keeping track of how long ago someone paid $9.95 (or more) for doubloons. It appears to be mostly a straight monetary transaction with a flag for shanghais. I have no idea why I say that, but it seems more like a purchase of something rather than a payment for a subscription, ye know?
[Jul 15, 2005 8:09:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Starfaller

Kaet, I'm sorry, I was referring to the option to purchase the howmany doubloons it says in the exchange for $9.95 via credit card transaction. It all goes through billing so there are records kept of who purchases what and when.
Synful
Looseweed wrote: 

[Jul 15, 2005 8:12:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Synful62 [Link]  Go to top 
Kaet

Starfaller wrote: 
Kaet, I'm sorry, I was referring to the option to purchase the howmany doubloons it says in the exchange for $9.95 via credit card transaction. It all goes through billing so there are records kept of who purchases what and when.

Yes, there are records. Yes, it goes through billing. My point was the transaction to buy doubloons seems to be a different type of transaction than the one to subscribe. It's probably just my mind separating them, but subscriptions would have to be tied to the account along with a...erm, "countdown calendar" to check if the subscription should be billed again. Doubloons do have the date you bought them in the doubloon history, but there would have been no reason to attach a countdown calendar to doubloons since they don't work that way (being an "item," not a "service"). Big-time-assumptions (which you should never make) on my part, of course. ;)

I do suppose they could add it, but why take the time? Assuming it would take time to do.... o_O
[Jul 15, 2005 9:15:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

VPeric wrote: 
Actually, this has been disscussed before, with the idea of a purchaseable "Ice Badge" on Viridian. I'm sure someone will be able to find the right thread for you (Me busy - Housing!).

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=18816

Faulkston,
linky
[Jul 16, 2005 1:04:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Arthas

A simple solution, if you're willing to throw that $9.95 out there, is just subscribe for a month. Complete and total access.
Antioch/Vhailor-

Back with bigger guns.
[Jul 16, 2005 2:27:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    antiochkinstar@yahoo.com    devolution T [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

As a less politically-charged response, let me point out that there's probably no mechanism in place to have an ocean share subscribers and doubloon accounts.

For example, as a subscriber, I can't just log on to Viridian, get some poe together, and buy a sloop without also buying doubloons to deliver it.

The Ice badge might work, but that's still a bit weird. Where would you keep it? On your Viridian account?
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Jul 16, 2005 3:06:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
_Violent_

The flaw with an 'ice badge' is that ice is a subscriber ocean - albeit a vastly underpopulated bug laden one. Theres nothing to stop a group of people moving to ice and paying their X dubloons a month to have unrestricted access to a subscriber ocean.

As to why people on Viridian won't just pay $10 a month for the subscriber oceans even if they spent that (or more) in dubloons - we have friends, political ties, possessions... and a whole ocean thats ours. I like it there. I'm sure lots of other do too.
SO of Monkey Mayhem
Owner of many pixelated possessions
Viridian
[Jul 16, 2005 3:19:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yakuza

I don't see why it would hurt to let the Viridianites spend doubs to play on Ice. It still counts as a doub sink and cash income to OOO and would raise the value of doubloons. Also, noone plays Ice. The most I ever saw there (in a long time) was today at 58. Thats hardly the testing environment.
Homullus wrote: 
...it does bother me when people think that games are not reality. They are.

[Jul 16, 2005 6:43:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.cc/phpBB    kingbarz@yahoo.com    kingbarz80 [Link]  Go to top 
char

How about anyone who has used there credit card (or other means) to buy doubloons be able to come to Ice.
Zife
Senior Officer of Black Death
Host of the 11th Black Death Tournament
Co-Host of the 10th Black Death Tournament
[Jul 16, 2005 8:10:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ellstar

How about those who have already paid (with cc or paypal or whatnot) and pay for dubloons can get access?
~Pirates~
Ellstar sails on the Viridian Ocean
RingoStarr sails on the Viridian Ocean
Amarise sails on the Midnight Ocean
[Jul 16, 2005 8:33:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://househippo.org [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

How about they come up with a system that would allow you to subscribe to Ice only for $10 a month, but also give you like $5 worth in doubloons. Because I REALLY want to play on Ice, but I already pay the same as a subscriber on doubloons and I don't think its fair that I should have to pay that again so that I can play on 3 servers, only one of which I would actually play on. I don't really want access to Midnight or Cobalt, they don't interest me like Viridian does. To be entirely honest with you though, I don't want all of the freebie doubloonies out roaming Ice either. I just feel that those of us who support OOO as much as subscribers should be allowed the same priviledges.
[Jul 17, 2005 9:51:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

Just to note the original poster...
He said his was a time issue. Other subscribers, there are styles of play that suit others, you know. not everyone can play for an hour everyday.
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

Danet - An old salt of Y!PP, but not the oldest by a long shot.
[Jul 17, 2005 10:05:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Siggy

_Violent_ wrote: 
The flaw with an 'ice badge' is that ice is a subscriber ocean - albeit a vastly underpopulated bug laden one. Theres nothing to stop a group of people moving to ice and paying their X dubloons a month to have unrestricted access to a subscriber ocean.

As to why people on Viridian won't just pay $10 a month for the subscriber oceans even if they spent that (or more) in dubloons - we have friends, political ties, possessions... and a whole ocean thats ours. I like it there. I'm sure lots of other do too.

As to why people on Midnight can't get over themselves is beyond me? They feel bad because we've moved past the out-dated subscription model into micropayments where we pay, sometimes more then $10 worth a month, as we go- we have friends, political ties, possessions... and a whole ocean thats ours. I like it there. I'm sure lots of other do too.

[/derail rant against Midnighters who think that they are somehow better then the inhabitants of Viridian]

Besides, you have to get the dubs somehow and all doubloons start out as cash payments to the ringers. Thus 40 some odd doubloons (10.00/0.25 there is a discount for buying in bulk) should buy an ice badge. The ice badge should decay like the labor badge (every day, regardless of if you logged in or not. The badge would be kept with the rest of the badges). There, we payed $10 and should be able to access ice.
Sig

Owner: Sig Supply Network

What happens when you beat whiny sword fighters with overpowered trash swords...

Imcolorblind auto-responds, "sig hacks sf :) try and see".

[Jul 17, 2005 12:11:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JPINFV [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

Siggy wrote: 
Besides, you have to get the dubs somehow and all doubloons start out as cash payments to the ringers. Thus 40 some odd doubloons (10.00/0.25 there is a discount for buying in bulk) should buy an ice badge. The ice badge should decay like the labor badge (every day, regardless of if you logged in or not. The badge would be kept with the rest of the badges). There, we payed $10 and should be able to access ice.

Wait, why should we have to pay an extra $10 a month to access less than a third of what subscribers get for their $10? If that were an option, I see no reason not to just pay for a subscription to play on Ice.

I retract my last post. That wasn't actually a good idea. Instead I suggest that for every $15 or $20 in doubloons we spend, we get a month of service on Ice.
[Jul 17, 2005 12:18:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Siggy

exactly because it isn't a doubloon ocean. What is stopping someone, if access was free, from playing only on Ice? My method allows players to buy doubloons of the exchange, which disperses the cost of Ice access over more people...
Sig

What happens when you beat whiny sword fighters with overpowered trash swords...

[Jul 17, 2005 12:20:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JPINFV [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

Thats why I'm not saying to make it free, or to just make it discounted. Let me re-explain my suggestion. Once you reach, for example, $20 spent on doubloons, you can play on Ice for a month (counting days that you played on and ones that you didn't). Then every $20 after that awards you with a month of Ice access. Yeah, you don't pay any extra to play on Ice, but its not free. That way Ice is just a nice supplement to the game, as it is with subscribing.
[Jul 17, 2005 12:25:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skal

Why shouldn't Ice be entirely free? It's buggy. It's inconsistent... so what if people play only there?

Actually, it would make much more sense for it to be a dubloon ocean... the normal items are all on the dubloon model and then whatever is being tested (in this case, housing) has no dubloon price set. If you want to play it like a normal ocean, you pay. If you just want to test the newest feature, you pay nothing.
Sadiekate
I know Tofu.
[Jul 17, 2005 1:48:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://sadiekate.deviantart.com [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

The problem though is that they need it to test things. Having a bunch of the annoying freebie Viridian people would be really bad.
[Jul 17, 2005 1:58:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

You know what they could test?

Chat filters.
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

Danet - An old salt of Y!PP, but not the oldest by a long shot.
[Jul 17, 2005 2:19:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Siggy

barrelmonkey wrote: 
The problem though is that they need it to test things. Having a bunch of the annoying freebie Viridian people would be really bad.

A bunch of stuck-up midnighters is better? Personally, I find Midnighters to be the annoying ones because they are some of the most intolerant people in the game. The quote is being used as an example.
Sig

[Jul 17, 2005 3:30:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JPINFV [Link]  Go to top 
lokonzo

I agree with Sig here, Viridian has many players, who are dedicated to the game, and pay more real cash to buy dubloons than anyone on Midnight. People like that deserve to use the test server. (Definitely not everyone who wants to though...)
Lokonzo- Viridian and Sage
British Battalion.
European Revolution.
Other words here.
[Jul 17, 2005 3:33:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
McStew721

Siggy wrote: 
A bunch of stuck-up midnighters is better? Personally, I find Midnighters to be the annoying ones because they are some of the most intolerant people in the game. The quote is being used as an example.

Stuck-up and proud.
McStew - Llyr's Pact, Carpe Noctem
[Jul 17, 2005 3:55:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    McStew721 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 156   Pages: 6   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates