• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 331 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
xelto

Can we get a boss fight? Reply to this Post

The idea I have is fairly simple. We don't have any "beat the game" objectives anywhere, other than blockades and flotillas. It would be nice to get one.

Here's a thought: make super-graveyards in Haunted Seas. After three or so regular graveyard victories (or some other trigger associated with graveyards), the next graveyard to spawn is a super-graveyard. Defeating it gives you very good booty (including chests!), and possibly returns you directly to port.

The whole thing would take about an hour or so, reasonable time for most people. And I think it would be nice to have a distinct goal to work toward, rather than simply trying to outlast the navigator.

Anyone wanting to camp out in Haunted Seas, just collecting chests while backwalling, can still do that. All they have to do is avoid entering graveyards.
----------------------------------------
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Apr 1, 2021 7:59:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Re: Can we get a boss fight? Reply to this Post

I remember back in the early days, one of the things the devs had stated that they wanted to eventually do what they called Adventure Islands, which probably would have had something like this. Closest we ever got to that though was the web-based Adventures.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Apr 1, 2021 8:48:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

I do agree, most players assume that the final goal is getting ultimates of ultimates get all 22 ultimates which not so many players have achieved that. Or get all trophies that you can get since getting all of them nowadays is not possible. But the game has had small boss fights like BKs for pillaging. SMHs don't really have them and I do like your ideas but they seem only doable on Emerald ocean as it has players but I would focus on making them more accessable before adding any new boss is my 2 cents.
Trophy Hunter - Scottys on Meridian.
[Apr 2, 2021 12:09:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

xelto wrote: 
Here's a thought: make super-graveyards in Haunted Seas. After three or so regular graveyard victories (or some other trigger associated with graveyards), the next graveyard to spawn is a super-graveyard. Defeating it gives you very good booty (including chests!), and possibly returns you directly to port.

The whole thing would take about an hour or so, reasonable time for most people. And I think it would be nice to have a distinct goal to work toward, rather than simply trying to outlast the navigator.

+1. Graveyards need some improvements, this sounds rewarding and will presumably have a low development cost. One of the things I like most about Cursed Isles is that it's in and done, it doesn't matter if the navigator wants to stay, because when you lose you lose. Applying that aspect to Haunted Seas would definitely make me more likely to join those types of voyages.

I personally think that there is a void to be filled in the context of "elite" Kraken Hunts. The harpoon and chum boats serve little to no purpose in the current meta game beyond trolling and collecting ink for black dye. I'd like to see a "Kraken 2" which requires you to actually utilise a variety of these boats, maybe it could be done via artifically capping the number of treasure collecting boats out of the safe zone*. Maybe this could be achieved by making ones lifeboat more valuable, so teams are encouraged to bring a setup of two bombers two chummers, a harpoon and two treasure collectors. Maybe the harpooners have to hit tentacles to collect ink, which can then be used to coat the bombers bomb in ink, making their bombs stronger and allowing them to unblock some passage, allowing treasure hunting boats through. At the end of the day just something to fill that void that we already have content for.

*Probably wouldn't work because everyone would just bring less people.

Scottays wrote: 
I do agree, most players assume that the final goal is getting ultimates of ultimates get all 22 ultimates which not so many players have achieved that. Or get all trophies that you can get since getting all of them nowadays is not possible.

This is simply not true, you're probably over generalizing by assuming the entire player base has the same goal as the people in your immediate surroundings. If I was to do the same I'd suggest everyone's end goal is to become amazing at Cused Isles, which is obviously also untrue. In reality the "final goal" for most players is probably to amass a fortune, or simply to have fun. I doubt any new piece of content would fill the general criteria of final goal anyway, unless it requires you to individually perform a large variety of puzzles, with a steep entrance fee or massively increased risk.
Jjc & Jice on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jcmorgan6 at Apr 2, 2021 6:01:52 AM]
[Apr 2, 2021 6:00:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

Keyword I said was "Assume", yes people make their own goals within the game and still play or not without them. Without a Final boss in the game I believe it has kept a majority of players around. If there was a final boss or a final ending to the game we may perhaps have less players by now.
Trophy Hunter - Scottys on Meridian.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Scottays at Apr 2, 2021 3:02:48 PM]
[Apr 2, 2021 2:57:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

xelto wrote: 

+1. Graveyards need some improvements, this sounds rewarding and will presumably have a low development cost. One of the things I like most about Cursed Isles is that it's in and done, it doesn't matter if the navigator wants to stay, because when you lose you lose. Applying that aspect to Haunted Seas would definitely make me more likely to join those types of voyages.

That was a lot of my desire, as well--having a defined end point. That, plus if you leave Atlantis to be the play-till-you-drop arena, it helps make the two arenas slightly more different. (Plus I liked graveyards, but not many people do them any more, so this might be a way to make them more desirable.) And I made the assumption that this could be relatively easy to implement.

As for kraken runs, I think that making chum or harpoon boats viable would require... hm. If chum had a longer-lasting effect, (both sticking around a few extra rounds and having the tentacles not leave the bait spot immediately), the boats might get more use. Harpoons, though, are hard to imagine being used more without changing what they do. Maybe if they stunned a hit tentacle, and could carry regular loot as well, they might see more use. But those are the only I-think-this-is-reasonably-easy alterations I can think of. Well, other than my longstanding desire of wanting more variations of the random pieces that the arenas get built out of?make it slightly harder to memorize each and every fast way to get the good loot.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Edit 3 times, last edit by xelto at Apr 2, 2021 3:57:22 PM]
[Apr 2, 2021 3:55:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates