• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 4
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 924 times and has 3 replies
Imbyr

Few questions from a greenie Reply to this Post

Hi mates, I joined last week, done some pillages and accumulated 70k poe. Made it selling those trinkets you get at the end of pillages. I would have more, but I bought parlor badge and lost few thousand playing poker. My question is: what else could I invest in? I was thinking of a sloop because naval battles seem fun, and also because I heard you can get a ship for 20k, which doesn't seem to be that much considering that clothing in shops appears to cost more than that. One issue I have is that prices seem intuitive. How much on average would creating own shop cost for example? Also how passive is the process of creating stuff in shops? I'd appreciate some tips on how to make money, or turning what I have into more, thanks in advance :)
[Dec 29, 2020 1:09:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wuppypuppy2

Re: Few questions from a greenie Reply to this Post

A sloop is a very good place to start! Bear in mind you'll need to buy an officer's badge and hold a rank of officer or higher in a crew to be able to sail it.

Welcome!
----------------------------------------
Wayfarer of Mala-idian-erald
[Dec 29, 2020 1:22:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Darkings

Welcome.

My question is: what else could I invest in?

This depends on what you want to achieve.

From my perspective investing in a ship early on is not the best option. If you are on Emerald there's a delivery fee that will shot that price way up.
Before buying a ship you can join a crew and ask if they have an unlocked ship, this gives the ability to run a pilly without owning the vessel. This way you get familiar with the costs of running a pillage. (test drive)

Investing money for new players :

-Don't do it, you are competing with seasonal players there's no way you can beat them if you are new. (And if there is, believe me no one would give that information here).

General greenie tips to make money and stay sane:

-Try to job on the biggest ship you can see on the notice board, this way your performance wont affect the ship in a critical way and you can relax and click the esc button and ask questions, or study the way the bnaver plays.

-If you have decent stats (around respected and above) try to aim for the pillages that have a red sword icon, usually this are the best pay on pillages, you might have to wait a bit since they usually only set sail with a full ship.

-When you feel that its getting easy to puzzle and you can achieve excellent with no worries, its time to pillage with 2 accounts (different ships).

-You don't have to puzzle all the time, take a break between fights.

-On Weekends keep an eye for blockades, ask your crew/friends for more details.

-Ask your crew/friends if they will host a kraken hunt and if they are willing to teach you, if so buy a bravery badge and a bumper kit. This is the best sea monster hunting activity for you since there's no risk, and you don't have to stay more than half an hour there.

-When you feel like you know the basics and you rarely get hit by tentacles buy a speed kit.

-When you feel like the turns take way to long, use 2 accounts, when you get bored keep increasing the accounts ( if you reach this point, congratz you already have way to much money to be called a greenie).

This is one path, there's more but this is the easy one.
[Dec 29, 2020 5:17:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

One thing to remember is that depending on your ocean, there may be doubloon costs to everything you need to purchase.

If you are on Cerulean, you're on the subscriber ocean. There is a difference between "free trial" accounts and "subscriber" accounts. The latter get to drive boats, be officers (and above) and wear all the latest fashions. Free accounts can't access this stuff.

If you're on Emerald, Meridian, or Obsidian, then you're on a doubloon ocean. Doubloons are "freemium", meaning you can play all you want and access all the content, for free, as long as you convert some of your earnings into doubloons. Your other choice is to plunk down your credit card and purchase some doubloons straight-away.

On classic oceans, a sloop costs 20 doubloons plus some PoE (it was about 7,500 when I checked in years past.) On Obsidian the doubloon cost is 15.

An officer badge is 8 doubloons. It is a very good investment, because it is your license to pillage, and you can and should be earning back far more than you spend on this badge. You already seem to know this stuff based on your purchase of a Parlor Badge, which is the same concept for a different section of the game.

To convert Pieces of Eight into Doubloons, visit the Doubloon Exchange and place a bid. This is a marketplace unto itself here. You can have instant gratification or you can play the numbers a bit.
----------------------------------------
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Dec 30, 2020 11:25:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates