• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 15
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 647 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Scottays

Trophies to be more accessible to achieve. Reply to this Post

Under all my threads, the truth under all of it is trying to get Trophies I wouldn't be playing if there was no Trophies. I'm disincluding Seal o Piracy, Pirate Rogers, Game Design, Misc Historial Trophies, Meetups as I consider them separate to ingame trophies or buying boxes. So all together there is around 950 trophies in the game yes I'm aware not all can be achievable with the ones I've brought up in my last sentence BUT, what about other trophies that people have honestly no chance in getting due to state of the game and no assistance I shall list them and would like to hear thoughts on it. I might be biased on some but just being honest. I'm not going to mention Jinxed Idol I'm going to make that crystal clear since its a log in trophy.

1. Blockading trophies (Iron Coils etc) Its been 13 years and people still don't know or not aware of how they are triggered I have asked around for years and still no information so I consider this impossible to get.

2. Flotillas, not everyone can load these with freedom regarding a pillage, hopefully there is a potential way to be able to access these more easily than waiting to load for 4+ hours but I digress. Which yes I know skilled swabbies etcetc or smaller version of them in an IO is really only solution to this.

3. Merchant Hunt expeditions, these never ever spawn ever. I know a pirate has tried to justify that they do spawn regarding the playerbase and its rarity but in the truth can't these just spawn in an explorers hall like vikings, IOs and BKs? Even though BKs spawn plenty on pillages/forage/TH. I do 20 battles a day and these expos spawn all the time but no merchants. Last time I did get a merchant battle was well over 3 years ago.

4. Golden Gorg, Golden Arch Lantis, Gold Frig HS. I understand that this was super duper popular back in the day. But these friglantises load probably once a week on Emerald? where before these probably loaded 25 times a week guesstimating? These are very impossible to load as the playerbase gets lower and lower year by year the same can be said regarding Gold Frig in HS. Which yes I know skilled swabbies etcetc or smaller version of them in an IO is really only solution to this.

5. Bejeweled Tourney board, this one is basically a pay to win trophy if you have loads of poe, loads of stuff you will probably eventually get it but its not as easy as you think. For this trophy you basically need players to join your tournaments unfortunately the same amount of player activity is required on all oceans even though I believe the balance should be regarding how many players log on in the past month or 2. Thats the same with the Ultimate List and thats 10 days.

6. Previous Competitions assembling toys and etc. I would love for these to be brought back as a monthly thing as it would encourage players to run these voyages like IOs and Pillages. Something that I disapprove is the ingredients being tradable. With them being tradeable its allowed players to just buy them and not do 1 single pillage which I believe is against spirit of the game and you bring back in Pay to Win again which continues to kill off incentive of competitions.

7. Feel free to add any other trophies in here that you believe are not possible to get in the game, I can give you on advice on how to get them but for the ones I have listed above I cannot sadly. Hopefully down the track that these are more accessible with these ideas.
----------------------------------------
Trophy Hunter - Scottys on Meridian.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Scottays at Dec 21, 2020 3:16:55 PM]
[Dec 21, 2020 3:09:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Re: There's a thread for that Reply to this Post

Trophy Suggestion Thread
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Dec 21, 2020 6:07:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

Trophy Suggestion Thread

This is a Game Design thread regarding ingame issues on how to make these more possible. But feel free to post my link in that thread if you want :)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Scottays at Dec 21, 2020 7:19:13 PM]
[Dec 21, 2020 7:18:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jcmorgan6

Re: Trophies to be more accessible to achieve. Reply to this Post

Something that I disapprove is the ingredients being tradable. With them being tradeable its allowed players to just buy them and not do 1 single pillage which I believe is against spirit of the game and you bring back in Pay to Win again which continues to kill off incentive of competitions.

I've discussed this with someone in-game, and we both agreed that they should probably have been untradeable, however the numbers required would probably need to be lowered.

At one ingredient per battle, that's roughly 4 per hour, you need 300 ingredients, honestly probably closer to 350 with some bad RNG meaning it'll take roughly 87.5 hours to earn the last trophy without trading.
Maybe the last trophy should be only for people who put in all that work, but with the competition only lasting 20 days that's a whopping 4h20mins of pillaging every single day (including the days around xmas and New years). Honestly that seems a bit much to me.
Jjc & Jice on Emerald
CI booty division stats
[Dec 21, 2020 9:15:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

Something that I disapprove is the ingredients being tradable. With them being tradeable its allowed players to just buy them and not do 1 single pillage which I believe is against spirit of the game and you bring back in Pay to Win again which continues to kill off incentive of competitions.

I've discussed this with someone in-game, and we both agreed that they should probably have been untradeable, however the numbers required would probably need to be lowered.

At one ingredient per battle, that's roughly 4 per hour, you need 300 ingredients, honestly probably closer to 350 with some bad RNG meaning it'll take roughly 87.5 hours to earn the last trophy without trading.
Maybe the last trophy should be only for people who put in all that work, but with the competition only lasting 20 days that's
a whopping 4h20mins of pillaging every single day (including the days around xmas and New years) . Honestly that seems a bit much to me.

Heck with that.

Also goes to show just how out of touch whoever is in charge seems to be with the player base. Even with the pandemic that is alot of time to be devoted to any game everyday.

Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by RonenOsden at Dec 21, 2020 11:02:47 PM]
[Dec 21, 2020 11:01:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitch.tv/RonenOsden [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

Maybe the last trophy should be only for people who put in all that work, but with the competition only lasting 20 days that's
a whopping 4h20mins of pillaging every single day (including the days around xmas and New years) . Honestly that seems a bit much to me.

Heck with that.

Also goes to show just how out of touch whoever is in charge seems to be with the player base. Even with the pandemic that is alot of time to be devoted to any game everyday.

Well my thread was about trophies that are impossible to get nowadays. But on that matter yes they should not be tradable at all. Maybe they should just spawn 2 ingredients a battle, anyone can do 2 hours and 30 minutes of pillaging a day. Anything to stop ingredients being tradable and be achieved by people who just sit on the docks and spend only 1.5-2mil for the ingredients craft 100 of them and be completed seems very tryhard to me.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Scottays at Dec 22, 2020 1:49:19 AM]
[Dec 22, 2020 1:38:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Scottays wrote: 
There's already team competitions which feature scoring based on defeating the opposing team in frays, or participating in pillages, or hunting werewolves, etc. Making ingredients untradeable just reduces the toy competition down to a pillage competition, of which the design already exists. Don't kill the little variety we have.

Regarding the main thread topic. No as well. Part of the value of trophies is the exclusion. If not everyone can get them, but you own them, that's something someone can have a "feelgood moment" over. That's in part why many chase achievements to begin with.

From your list:

1. Trophy criteria are mostly solved by the playerbase through cooperative efforts. It's not impossible, you just haven't worked it out.

2. You're just not popular enough.

3. Merchants exist (duh). Over 3 years? You don't pillage enough.

4. You're just not popular enough. And yuck don't put my idea of smaller version together with your begging for skilled swabbies.

5. You're just not rich enough.

6. Above.
Ryuken on Emerald.
I made a Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.

Offering docktart-citadel front row seats since Aug2020 :D
[Dec 22, 2020 3:52:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Trophy Suggestion Thread

This is a Game Design thread regarding ingame issues on how to make these more possible. But feel free to post my link in that thread if you want :)

The Trophy Suggestion Thread is also a Game Design thread, and people courteously post there because other players do not wish to see spoilers about trophy triggers, such as you have posted here.
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Dec 22, 2020 8:20:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

There's already team competitions which feature scoring based on defeating the opposing team in frays, or participating in pillages, or hunting werewolves, etc. Making ingredients untradeable just reduces the toy competition down to a pillage competition, of which the design already exists. Don't kill the little variety we have.

Yes there is why not bring those previous competitions back? It'll feel like new content like if they brought back portraits. Making them untradeable will make it more far for everyone that actually tries instead of just pay to win all you need is 1.5-2mil and theres your free 7 trophies very tryhard. Pay to win kills these events.

Regarding the main thread topic. No as well. Part of the value of trophies is the exclusion. If not everyone can get them, but you own them, that's something someone can have a "feelgood moment" over. That's in part why many chase achievements to begin with.

More and more trophies become exclusive the more the playerbase decreases year by year as to why all of these suggestions weren't brought up a couple of years ago or years before that, only now. Everyone that goes for trophies deserves the feelgood moment, why make more of them exclusive? seems very unfair on the general playerbase.

From your list:

1. Trophy criteria are mostly solved by the playerbase through cooperative efforts. It's not impossible, you just haven't worked it out.

If you know how to get those trophies please let me know I'd love to hear ideas.

2. You're just not popular enough.
Probably only 2-3 people are OR Depending how high tops you pay 15k? 20k?

3. Merchants exist (duh). Over 3 years? You don't pillage enough.

I have pillaged daily, 20 battles a day for the past year and a half and not even 1 merchant spawn, this desperately needs to be fixed for a very long time. Can you name me one that has defeated 200 of them? or even 100? Don't think so. Some have 10 but no where near 100. Put them in explorers hall.

4. You're just not popular enough. And yuck don't put my idea of smaller version together with your begging for skilled swabbies.

Just supporting your POV I believe it is actually better than the whole skilled swabbies debacle. You stated it as separate ideas and I agree with that, its probably better that it is in an IO version it would probably work better and prevents grieving.

5. You're just not rich enough.
I am just the ocean is broken :/ Not sure why Patron is the same across all oceans when crew/flag fame is different scaling on oceans.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Scottays at Dec 22, 2020 2:21:52 PM]
[Dec 22, 2020 2:02:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Computerdood

3. Merchant Hunt expeditions, these never ever spawn ever. I know a pirate has tried to justify that they do spawn regarding the playerbase and its rarity but in the truth can't these just spawn in an explorers hall like vikings, IOs and BKs? Even though BKs spawn plenty on pillages/forage/TH. I do 20 battles a day and these expos spawn all the time but no merchants. Last time I did get a merchant battle was well over 3 years ago.

From my experience these expos spawn more often depending on where you are pillaging. Back when I used to do forage offers while moving some fruit or the rare gem run (on Meridian) I would come across these expos more often. 2 or 3 per week maybe? The problem with them is that they're always sloops and an elite pilly with 5+ people on it might reduce your chances for an expo spawn. Being on a very long, isolated route could help you out here as the expo does not spawn the ship and instead the merchant ship has already spawned and is just trying to fuel the economy; the expo is simply trying to intercept them. This is why they cannot spawn in an Explorer's Hall or else people would exploit it for rare materials which could negatively impact the player-ran economy.

If you really wanted to try this out I would suggest getting 3-4 people on to a sloop and doing a standard pilly between Wissahickon-Beaufort or Armstrong-Paollu. I really think you will have better luck this way and I would love to hear the results if you do try it.
Computerdude on all oceans
[Dec 22, 2020 11:22:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

From my experience these expos spawn more often depending on where you are pillaging. Back when I used to do forage offers while moving some fruit or the rare gem run (on Meridian) I would come across these expos more often. 2 or 3 per week maybe? The problem with them is that they're always sloops and an elite pilly with 5+ people on it might reduce your chances for an expo spawn. Being on a very long, isolated route could help you out here as the expo does not spawn the ship and instead the merchant ship has already spawned and is just trying to fuel the economy; the expo is simply trying to intercept them. This is why they cannot spawn in an Explorer's Hall or else people would exploit it for rare materials which could negatively impact the player-ran economy.

If you really wanted to try this out I would suggest getting 3-4 people on to a sloop and doing a standard pilly between Wissahickon-Beaufort or Armstrong-Paollu. I really think you will have better luck this way and I would love to hear the results if you do try it.

They NEVER spawn. I have tested already on the harder routes and still nothing, its very disappointing. Seems the way you are explaining it as well is pretty much only including elitists and not including lower skilled pirates doesn't seem very balanced to me. Even attacking random ships that are <Merchant> do not count towards the trophy even though when you engage a random <Brigand or Barb> they count towards pillage wins why can't merchants?
[Dec 23, 2020 3:22:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nate3990

Yes, I agree that the spawn rate should probably be increased, but to say they NEVER spawn is 100% false. I got a merchant expedition yesterday on the pillage route I always do (Ambush to Albatross). I've gotten about 3 (or 4) expeditions since coming back to the game 2 months ago. I only just hit solid bnav so that's about ~100 battles or so. Small sample size but still, they exist.

My battles were either 6 or 7 people on a sloop, and "selective" jobbing if that makes a difference.
Spinnakerr on Emerald | Natetegreat on Cerulean
Originally started on Cobalt, now playing Emerald! Returned to the game October 2020.
[Dec 23, 2020 1:23:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nate3990

Sorry, to clarify 3 or 4 merchant expeditions (in case anyone thought I was including forage/TH/yeti)
Originally started on Cobalt, now playing Emerald! Returned to the game October 2020.
[Dec 23, 2020 1:24:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

Sorry, to clarify 3 or 4 merchant expeditions (in case anyone thought I was including forage/TH/yeti)

Did they spawn like so far away from your location or were they few LPs away?
[Dec 23, 2020 2:42:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
nate3990

From what I remember, the first one was within a couple leagues, the others including the one yesterday were farther (on the course from Island A to Island C but the merchant would be between Island A and B heading towards me but I'd already be between Island B and C) so I didn't bother going for it.
[Dec 23, 2020 3:13:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates