• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 102
Posts: 102   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7332 times and has 101 replies Next Thread
Hera
OceanMaster

Event: 2020 December (not) Daily Doodles, Doodles of Christmas Past Edition! Reply to this Post

DECEMBER (not) DAILY DOODLES : The Doodles of Christmas Past edition!

This has been quite the year, so we are all feeling pleased that December is almost here and we can say goodbye to 2020 and hello to a hopefully better and safer 2021! We hope y'all will join us in counting down to Christmas and the New Year with some fun (not) Daily Doodles!

Doodles have been run since 2005 in a variety of formats and I'm delighted that 15 years later we are still able to continue on what Apollo started so many years ago. There have been many excellent doodles in those years, and we have decided this year to revisit some of our favorite events from over the years! As usual, there will be two doodles per week with each one ending on a Tuesday or Thursday. You will note that the 1st of December is on a Tuesday this year, so be ready to start then! Most, if not all, of these contests will be forum-based and you will need to plan your entries so you don't miss the cut off times for each one. There will be a variety of prizes during the event and they won't be pre-announced.

SO! Prepare your pens, paper and random possibly useful stuff from around the house and be ready to DOODLE ! Remember, we may require the use of holiday notions such as wrapping paper, cards, ribbons or decorations to complete some of the tasks so remember to not recycle holiday detritus too early!

There will be multiple forum threads for this event. This sticky thread will contain a running summary of events, winners and prizes. Each doodle will then have its own entry thread.

RULES:

The general rules for the forum contests are as follows (stolen from previous years, but it will broadly apply to this year too)
  • Only one entry per player in each contest, but you may enter as many different contests as you wish during the month.
  • In earlier years, we tended to have Dedicated Doodler prizes for those who completed all Doodles during the month. As this is a lesser achievement with only two doodles a week, we will have to see how entries go this year to decide whether or not to do this. We'll do something for Dedicated Doodlers, but it may be something a little different e.g. a prize draw between Dedicated Doodlers rather than a prize for each? We'll see how many of you there are!
  • You must include your pirate name and ocean at the top of each entry post. Make sure you use the pirate and ocean for which you would want to receive a prize.
  • We will try to make the instructions clear for each contest. As the contests are short, don't get too hung up on the minutiae of rules. Just read the instructions and have a go at following them.
  • If we say "draw", we generally mean the creation of a 2D picture, whether that's done by hand or by computer. Where more physical media are allowed, we will remember to say so.
  • If we say "original" or "must be your own work", we mean that you must create something from scratch, without the use of game art or other resources.
  • Plagiarism: this is the use of someone else's work, claiming it as your own, and applies to all contest types. Don't do it!
  • The entry threads are going to be busy enough without chat. Keep the entry thread just for entries please!
  • The general rules on avoiding tasteless or offensive material apply at all times on this forum but we are mentioning them again here just in case.
  • Judging may be delayed until the end of the month, but we will try our best to judge as soon as possible. Winners and prizes will be posted in the second post of this thread once judging is complete, as well as a more detailed results post at the end of each Doodle's entry thread.
  • Clotho, Hera and Nemesis will be doing most of the judging, bringing in others as and when we need them. There will be a variety of events, though, and we are not going to get into discussions on the judging on any individual event.
  • We will try to deliver prizes as they are announced, but we may not always be as speedy as we would like (we are getting older and slower!) Please be patient with us!
  • Don't get hung up on the prizes and the winners. Lots of people participate, and only a few win prizes. Take part because it looks fun, it's an interesting challenge, and it's an opportunity to share your quick-fire skills with your fellow players or to try your hand and something different.

If you're interested in how the Doodles work, take a look at one of the previous year's editions, linked from this page.

----------------------------------------
    Sun says, "Selling Hera, one careful owner, slightly foxed, very Zeused, for 800 million billion PoE, 250 indigo ribbons, a chipmunk familiar called Robin and a piece of moss!"
    [Edit 4 times, last edit by Hera at Jan 10, 2021 9:53:49 AM]
  • [Nov 15, 2020 12:36:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Hera
    OceanMaster

Re: Coming Soon! Event: 2020 December (not) Daily Doodles, Doodles of Christmas Past Edition! Reply to this Post

Doodle One Expanding the Inventory! deadline Dec 3rd at 11.00 am game time Winners Announced
    Doodle Two Fair Windows! Deadline Dec 8th at 11am game time. Winners Announced!
    Doodle Three Feather Christmas! Deadline Dec 10th at 11 am game time Winners Announced!
    Doodle 4 Dear Cleaver Deadline Dec 15th at 11 am game time Winners announced!
    Doodle 5 Coat of Arms Deadline Dec 17th at 11 am game time Winners announced!
    Doodle 6 Munchable Models Deadline Dec 22nd at 11 am game time Winners announced!
    Doodle VII Deck the Forum Deadline Dec 24th at 11.00 am. Winners announced!
    Doodle VIII It's A Rap Deadline Dec 29th at 11.00 am Winners announced!
    Doodle IX Recycle, Recycle, Recycle Deadline Dec 31st 11pm. Winners announced!
    Sun says, "Selling Hera, one careful owner, slightly foxed, very Zeused, for 800 million billion PoE, 250 indigo ribbons, a chipmunk familiar called Robin and a piece of moss!"
    [Edit 16 times, last edit by Clotho at Jan 13, 2021 10:20:41 AM]
    [Nov 15, 2020 12:36:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    lilymoon

Re: Coming Soon! Event: 2020 December (not) Daily Doodles, Doodles of Christmas Past Edition! Reply to this Post

Doodles!!! <3
    Faeree ~ Illustrious Wanderer on all oceans ~
    Avvie by Tilinka!
    Apollo wrote: 
    (Is it wrong that I'm now just a tiny bit in love with Faeree's brother?)

[Nov 15, 2020 2:40:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Faeree [Link]  Go to top 
    patrys12

F U N !!!
    - xxx Alpha xxx -
    [Nov 15, 2020 8:53:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Hikariks

oh my lord yesss!
    Yumisa World Wide~
    10 years in, still here, baby.
    Can't find me? Im on Instagram!
    [Nov 17, 2020 7:53:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.instagram.com/yumisaruka/ [Link]  Go to top 
    Hera
    OceanMaster

Nearly December! Are y'all ready?
    [Nov 29, 2020 7:22:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Phaerie2

Nearly December! Are y'all ready?

I'm not quite over the Marshmallow-induced PTSD I suffered from last years Doodles. A few glasses of special recipe eggnog should fix me up in time!

Now where did I put that egg-beater?
    Phaerie: Obsidian and Cerulean Phaeirie: Emerald
    [Nov 30, 2020 6:10:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Marijkeuh

I've never competed. Time to turn that around!
    [Nov 30, 2020 2:42:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Hera
    OceanMaster

Responding to a few questions I've had (please post any future questions here rather than sending to me direct; if you are confused chances are others will be confused too!)

If you are having trouble with linking to Imgur, just post the link in the entry and we will go look.

How do you use those background from the boxes? Do you need to use an editing program?

You could use photo shop, but really it isn't essential at all. We don't expect it to be exactly the same, and if you are hand drawing the image you could just draw the gold box around your design using yellow pencil/pen. Don't get too stuck on that presentation - its the idea of the item that generally grabs our attention!
    [Dec 1, 2020 10:03:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    CapnKkatz

What exactly does this mean?

It must be presented as an item in the in-game inventory display.

Do you mean the small box like this , the pop-up display like this, or the sunshine panel like this?
    Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

Get cracking and scrambling! Eggs are here!!
    [Dec 1, 2020 11:15:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Hera
    OceanMaster

What exactly does this mean?

Edit: I still wasn't being clear!

The small box like this is fine for those who are struggling. Ideally, we should know where in the inventory it fits (ie trinket, furniture, clothing etc).

I'm not going to get grumpy if you display it as if you have opened something in game, or as just the image in a box. If it isn't clear what sort of item it is, please be sure to add that as text to your entry!
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by Hera at Dec 1, 2020 3:09:14 PM]
    [Dec 1, 2020 3:04:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    CapnKkatz

@Mutro

Just admit it lol, at least ONCE the idea of a silly looking double eye-patched pirate has crossed your mind.

...Actually, I used to have "Lucky" taped to my computer! A real inspiration to keep going no matter what!! :)

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

Get cracking and scrambling! Eggs are here!!
    [Dec 1, 2020 7:24:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    cattrin

Yay Doodles! Just the kind of comforting familiarity we need in this year.
    Cattrin of Cerulean
    Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Dec 2, 2020 11:44:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Hikariks

Projects coming to an end, and (not) daily doodles picking up. Im ready for this sweet jolly embrace xD
    Yumisa World Wide~
    10 years in, still here, baby.
    Can't find me? Im on Instagram!
    [Dec 2, 2020 3:07:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.instagram.com/yumisaruka/ [Link]  Go to top 
    wuppypuppy2

Re: Happening NOW! Event: 2020 December (not) Daily Doodles, Doodles of Christmas Past Edition! Reply to this Post

I actually want my item so badly now lol

Imagine themed clothing crates. You could have all your swabbies dressed up like dragoons, or wearing fancy jackets and ballgowns. I would pilly so much moreeeee.
    Wayfarer of Mala-idian-erald
    [Dec 3, 2020 6:01:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    wuppypuppy2

Re: Happening NOW! Event: 2020 December (not) Daily Doodles, Doodles of Christmas Past Edition! Reply to this Post

Also, I just wanted to take a moment to give my most heartfelt thanks. I'm 24 now and am pretty sure this marks a decade of doodling for me. I'm glad people were charitable towards 14 year old Wayfarer's scribbles! It's been such a wonderful way to flex my creative muscles, laugh, improvise, and just have a fun time overall for so many years.

I know the Puzzle Pirates community is not what it used to be, but the fact that this tradition continues with such enthusiasm warms my heart.
    [Dec 4, 2020 5:38:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Hera
    OceanMaster

..decade of doodling...

We are all getting so old!

Quick reminder! Check the links in your entries. If they don't open, your entry won't count!
    [Dec 6, 2020 10:56:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    mellyssa

Damit, they open on my computer but not Yetidave's and vice versa. Still finding my way around Imgur.

PS Married to Yetidave in rl!
    Elyzz from Midnight Cerulean Emerald
    [Dec 6, 2020 11:31:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Hera
    OceanMaster

breaking da rulez for some Hannukah content

I wouldn't call that breaking the rules; seasonal celebrations are fine and I'll make that clearer. My intention wasn't to exclude!
    [Dec 7, 2020 1:32:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    wuppypuppy2

I wouldn't call that breaking the rules; seasonal celebrations are fine and I'll make that clearer. My intention wasn't to exclude!

:)

Thanks for the inclusivity! I figured, and was mostly kidding— although, breaking the rules to observe Judaism is exactly in the spirit of Hanukkah!!
    [Dec 7, 2020 3:16:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    cattrin

Mutro I tried to look at your stained glass entry but it doesn't load! Might want to check to be sure it's not just me.
    Cattrin of Cerulean
    Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Dec 7, 2020 6:40:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    patrys12

Congratulations to Doodle 1 winners and all participants.

Mutro your imgur images for the stained glass is not opening
    - xxx Alpha xxx -
    [Dec 8, 2020 1:38:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Mutro

I had internet issues all day long that day, so i'm not surprised that these links turned being nothing in the end.

For curiosity's sake, I reuploaded the pictures:

https://imgur.com/a/OFhf6Mq
    https://imgur.com/a/MF9uwEM

I checked the links for my 3rd doodle and they seem to work... btw, not that I want to advertise on the knex things, but if you are a parent and you are reading this, give it a thought for a present. Had my "starter set" 20+ years ago and they are still in good condition.

But anyway. Posting from a stranded island with poor phone connection, no bandana, no sloop, no foil, no fish and no rum: never again.
    Mutro (and others) in Sag...Emerald Ocean.
    [Dec 9, 2020 6:10:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    jadesteph

Cute work on the torchlight, Mutro! Love it!

And seeing the awesome entries on the feather doodle, I have no idea what I can do. :))
    [Dec 9, 2020 7:11:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Taskbeta

Oh Mutro those are wonderful!!
    Shame they didn't load in time before judging.
    Bisca - Emerald & Obsidian

Avvy by: Jellyx
    [Dec 10, 2020 4:22:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Nemesis
    OceanMaster

MY TURN! Mwahahahaha!
    Hera says, "I wish I was awesome enough to be on #TeamEvil!"
    Later...
    Hera says, "And the sorry thing is, I can't remember if I said, or didn't say, that."
    ----------------------------
    [Dec 10, 2020 8:06:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    wuppypuppy2

You have 150 words maximum to write a letter to Cleaver telling him your pirate's current gift wish list. Make it relevant to your pirate; make it funny or make it touching; include as much or as little explanation as you like - within the word limit.

A wonderfully simple task for ye and you are not limited to two colors unlike the actual in game trinket. You can make it as garish or as simple as you want! You can provide pictures of your work in progress, but only the finished picture will be judged. Please read the following carefully!

Nemesis, I'm not sure you want to see in-progress pictures of my writing.

don't worry, I won't tell anyone you copied Hera's instructions
    [Dec 10, 2020 8:39:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    RonenOsden

I second this. Its been near 10 years since Ive written anything more then filing in a form with my information.
    Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
    Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
    [Dec 10, 2020 9:48:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitch.tv/RonenOsden [Link]  Go to top 
    Nemesis
    OceanMaster

I second this. Its been near 10 years since Ive written anything more then filing in a form with my information.

I just quoted the exact event as posted years ago. I believe the original intent was to embellish the paper if you wanted, and you can show your progress on that. If you just type your entry, eh, not as fun, is it? But I'd still take a glance. Progress pictures are optional for this particular one.
    Hera says, "I wish I was awesome enough to be on #TeamEvil!"
    Later...
    Hera says, "And the sorry thing is, I can't remember if I said, or didn't say, that."
    ----------------------------
    [Dec 10, 2020 10:47:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Hera
    OceanMaster

Wish list?? Oh boy! I bet no-one will guess what my entry will include!
    [Dec 10, 2020 11:12:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 102   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates