• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2452 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Auntyjinxed

To those who would ransom Emerald Reply to this Post

I understand people's frustrations with the game and its many flaws. I'm grateful that there are people out there who are concerned about the player's security and have the expertise to be able to detect these deficiencies and report them.

Most of the chat during these past days have been referring to using the exploitation of the holes in security and programming as a means to ransom the OMs. This cannot work: if the OMs agree to the terms of this "ransom" and open up a dialogue with the ransomers, all that the OMs demonstrate is that they are allowing anyone who has a grudge and means to apply pressure to do exactly the same.
It has been argued to me that these ransomers are the "good guys" and want to help improve the game and security. Good for them, but I have not seen anything within the forums prior to these incidents regarding suggestions and improvements. Maybe I am ignorant, but as far as I can see there is literally no way the help offered by the ransomers can be taken up. How can you trust the coding and security measures put in place by someone who has maliciously hacked the system? It would be one thing if GH asked an independent group to hack the game as part of an analysis and redesign, and then had the programmers and resources to deploy it knowing the full systemic workings of the game. An unrequested, unauthorised malicious hack does not fulfil any of those criteria.

I am not so naive as to think that the actions of this weekend are all by the same persons. It does seem stunningly beneficial to certain parties to lag out the ocean the moment the Admiral blockade goes live, and then again as the Armstrong cade goes live. Even more so once the cades get closed in favour of the defenders, even if they had not shown up to defend. However, if the same persons who hacked the game to make the OMs talk are now trying to DDOS their way into forcing a discourse, I would like to point out it is making OM engagement even less likely to happen.

We all know the game is old, running on code that even 15 years ago was difficult to amend. We all get frustrated and annoyed by the quirks. The fact that some of us still show up to play the game despite all of the grumbles establishes that we love the game as it is, that the enjoyment is not down to the code. Can you please stop ruining our enjoyment in order to progress your own agenda? Can you allow the blockades to go ahead, so that those who love to comment have something to discuss in global, and we can all enjoy the schoolyard banter of flag vs flag? Can you allow me to earn some poe so I can do other things that I enjoy in game? Can you never again put me through the despair that followed the rolling back of the server: for 10 hours I had the joy of achieving 3 sessions of expert labour in shipwright, and then it was taken away from me, never to be achieved again?

You tried something, it has failed to yield the supposed wanted discussion with GH, and instead has led to the mass annoyance of many players. Try something else that does not compromise the playing of the game, nor the future of the game.
----------------------------------------
Auntyjinxed

SO of Down to Earth
Lady(!) of On Points
Emerald Ocean

Avatar by the phenomenally talented Yumisa
[Nov 8, 2020 1:42:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
therobotdude

Re: To those who would ransom Emerald Reply to this Post

I understand people's frustrations with the game and its many flaws. I'm grateful that there are people out there who are concerned about the player's security and have the expertise to be able to detect these deficiencies and report them.

Most of the chat during these past days have been referring to using the exploitation of the holes in security and programming as a means to ransom the OMs. This cannot work: if the OMs agree to the terms of this "ransom" and open up a dialogue with the ransomers, all that the OMs demonstrate is that they are allowing anyone who has a grudge and means to apply pressure to do exactly the same.
It has been argued to me that these ransomers are the "good guys" and want to help improve the game and security. Good for them, but I have not seen anything within the forums prior to these incidents regarding suggestions and improvements. Maybe I am ignorant, but as far as I can see there is literally no way the help offered by the ransomers can be taken up. How can you trust the coding and security measures put in place by someone who has maliciously hacked the system? It would be one thing if GH asked an independent group to hack the game as part of an analysis and redesign, and then had the programmers and resources to deploy it knowing the full systemic workings of the game. An unrequested, unauthorised malicious hack does not fulfil any of those criteria.

I am not so naive as to think that the actions of this weekend are all by the same persons. It does seem stunningly beneficial to certain parties to lag out the ocean the moment the Admiral blockade goes live, and then again as the Armstrong cade goes live. Even more so once the cades get closed in favour of the defenders, even if they had not shown up to defend. However, if the same persons who hacked the game to make the OMs talk are now trying to DDOS their way into forcing a discourse, I would like to point out it is making OM engagement even less likely to happen.

We all know the game is old, running on code that even 15 years ago was difficult to amend. We all get frustrated and annoyed by the quirks. The fact that some of us still show up to play the game despite all of the grumbles establishes that we love the game as it is, that the enjoyment is not down to the code. Can you please stop ruining our enjoyment in order to progress your own agenda? Can you allow the blockades to go ahead, so that those who love to comment have something to discuss in global, and we can all enjoy the schoolyard banter of flag vs flag? Can you allow me to earn some poe so I can do other things that I enjoy in game? Can you never again put me through the despair that followed the rolling back of the server: for 10 hours I had the joy of achieving 3 sessions of expert labour in shipwright, and then it was taken away from me, never to be achieved again?

You tried something, it has failed to yield the supposed wanted discussion with GH, and instead has led to the mass annoyance of many players. Try something else that does not compromise the playing of the game, nor the future of the game.

Well said AJ - I agree with this.

Just a further note for attention of the good Elvenpirate folk at Gray Havens...

We have people with coding/IT experience in the YPP community who would be willing to offer help - whether that is advising on DDOS protection/config for the servers or even writing patches for some of those pesky everyday bugs we come across in-game.

While obviously no one's going to dev full-time for free, YPP is a hobby and passion for many and I'm sure no one would begrudge you the odd free bugfix or two* especially when it improves our gameplay as a result. Indeed many people have already dedicated a lot of hours to fan-made software to improve their YPP experience.

There's never been a better time to consider releasing the application/server code as open source IMO, and would hugely boost the relations between players & GH. Might even draw some old players out of retirement, who knows ;)

Bottom line is as a player community we still love this game. And it would be amazing to have some way of helping you guys at GH to shore it up against the efforts of this shrewtickling, landlubbing weasellous barnaclestopper who dares to try and disrupt everyone's fun. Looking forward beyond that, it would also be great to have some way of sending fixes for inclusion in the game.

*Some kind of reward for contributors would be nice. Maybe some exclusive pirate themed merch or a very special trophy!

--edited to add--
Also relevant is the discussion here on the fairly recent software engineer job posting.
Therobotdude.

At least 25% RBV (Robot By Volume).
[Edit 1 times, last edit by therobotdude at Nov 8, 2020 3:37:36 PM]
[Nov 8, 2020 3:16:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Robyns090

I think it's important to point out, in regards to fans wanting the game to be updated/improved, that the game is currently run as a non profit. So while it hasn't been specifically stated, I think it's plain and obvious that the game is in "maintain the services" mode, rather than any active work or improvements being done on the game.
Robyns
<3
[Nov 9, 2020 7:51:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

Agreed 100% Aunty

We all know the game is old, running on code that even 15 years ago was difficult to amend. We all get frustrated and annoyed by the quirks. The fact that some of us still show up to play the game despite all of the grumbles establishes that we love the game as it is, that the enjoyment is not down to the code. Can you please stop ruining our enjoyment in order to progress your own agenda? Can you allow the blockades to go ahead, so that those who love to comment have something to discuss in global, and we can all enjoy the schoolyard banter of flag vs flag?

This. To me this means a lot. Yes, the game allows puzzling and competitiveness and a lot of things that sadly are abusable by other players but the reason i come back to the game isnt for the game mechanic itself or how it works sadly. I come and stay for the people i meet, the friends i make.

As Robyns stated, GH literally says in their own website
"Rather than allow those games to disappear forever, we have assembled a doughty crew to keep them operational for as long as we can."

In my eyes that mostly clearly means mantaining the game alive but not necessarily improving on it, which is something i very much appreciate. Of course i would love to see it running and improving and being advertised and played like it used to be, but it's been running for a long ass time, it is outdated, it is part of a nostalgia sector considering most people who currently play it are mostly old players. (old in time played ~ not involving age here)
Heck, i grew up playing this game, so it holds that extra spot in my heart. One may play on and off, but let's be honest, we end up coming back whether we like it or not (and god bless you if you can manage to stay away from it forever, i can't do that)
Yumisa World Wide~
10 years in, still here, baby.
Can't find me? Im on Instagram!
[Nov 13, 2020 5:11:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.instagram.com/yumisaruka/ [Link]  Go to top 
Robyns090

In my eyes that mostly clearly means mantaining the game alive but not necessarily improving on it, which is something i very much appreciate.

To play devil's advocate, I'd argue that some people may be confused about updates to the game as Gray Havens had that stance as you mentioned yet they still brought out Obsidian Ocean. To me I think the least they could do is move some of the stuff they did on Obsidian to the other oceans like they originally said they would do.
Robyns
<3
[Nov 13, 2020 1:57:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hikariks

To play devil's advocate, I'd argue that some people may be confused about updates to the game as Gray Havens had that stance as you mentioned yet they still brought out Obsidian Ocean. To me I think the least they could do is move some of the stuff they did on Obsidian to the other oceans like they originally said they would do.

Yea i kinda wish they would, but i'm not entirely mad if they don't either xD
Yumisa World Wide~
10 years in, still here, baby.
Can't find me? Im on Instagram!
[Nov 13, 2020 2:13:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.instagram.com/yumisaruka/ [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates