• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3623 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
jimlad1

Help me! Struggling with Shipwright Reply to this Post

Can someone please explain to me how to get past Distinguished shipwright? I'm having no issues building pieces and I'm getting Vegas 3-4's pretty much every game at least once or twice. But keep getting Goods. The problem I'm having, and by pulling the puzzle apart and watching guides, is that I'm only getting the option to build 1, 5 piece at a time, whereas everyone else seems to get 2 5 pieces available at a time. I assume this is because i cant get excellent but it seems like its just luck if i get 2 fives at once and its not consistent enough to move up stats. Is there some trick to getting past Distinguished or am i just destined to fail here forever? Feels like a bit of a catch 22 because I'm super confident that i can built 2 5s at a time plus 4s and 3s. pls halp
----------------------------------------
Godsagreebo :)
[Sep 21, 2020 10:14:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RonenOsden

Re: Help me! Struggling with Shipwright Reply to this Post

You need higher experience in the puzzle.
Cptnronen Born And Raised On The Cobalt Ocean
Avatar created by the amazing Cattrin.
[Sep 21, 2020 1:05:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.twitch.tv/RonenOsden [Link]  Go to top 
jimlad1

My experience is Weighty?
Godsagreebo :)
[Sep 22, 2020 5:09:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

From my knowledge of Shipwrighty when I last did it on Emerald. Normally with your stats you would be able to get 2 5 pieces. But due to so many botters on Emerald which is sad, you probably need to be at least respected-master at it to get those 2 5 pieces. So my advice is just make the most of your 4 and 5 pieces and aim for consistent excellents to rank up eventually.
Trophy Hunter - Scottys on Meridian.
[Sep 22, 2020 6:58:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zapadapa

As this is one of my favourite puzzles, that I play a lot, I think it has something to do with your rank against other players and the total number of players.
For example, on Obsidian, where there are hardly any players, I am Sublime/GM but I still only have one 5-piece (even though I am 2nd on leaderboard right now).
Sometimes, if I play a lot and get a run of high scores (which is difficult with only one 5-piece), then I get the 2nd 5-piece, but then as soon as I have a few "bad" games, I lose it and it takes a while to get it back again.
Zapa of Emerald
[Sep 22, 2020 3:01:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gamerocker20

From my knowledge of Shipwrighty when I last did it on Emerald. Normally with your stats you would be able to get 2 5 pieces. But due to so many botters on Emerald which is sad, you probably need to be at least respected-master at it to get those 2 5 pieces. So my advice is just make the most of your 4 and 5 pieces and aim for consistent excellents to rank up eventually.

Exactly this. It's really hard to get your stat up because there are so many bots. I'm legendary and made 5 labor alts, and it took me 8 hrs puzzling to get them to Renowned whilst getting excellent/incredible most of the time.

Also the way scoring works, you will find it really hard to get consistent excellent/incredible until you get the 2nd five-piece. I'd say you should get it at around Respected... or at least halfway thru. Keep trying, it may take you hours, but it will be worth it in the long run.
[Sep 22, 2020 8:10:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kyura94

Most of the answers above already got it, you just need a higher puzzle standing (rank/stat). It's a bit of a catch-22, yes, but keep at it and your standing will eventually reflect your skill level.

gamerocker20 wrote: 
Exactly this. It's really hard to get your stat up because there are so many bots. I'm legendary and made 5 labor alts, and it took me 8 hrs puzzling to get them to Renowned whilst getting excellent/incredible most of the time.
When discussing the scoring curve and unlocking of the 2nd 5-piece in Shipwright, you're no better than a botter. Your expertise at Legendary and raising multiple labour alts exacerbates the problem far more than any one person who botted his way to an Ultimate.

I'm not saying that what you're doing is wrong in any way. And yes botting is a big problem. But let's not pretend you aren't part of the problem when it comes to OP's struggles with unlocking the 2nd 5-piece.
Ryuken on Emerald.
I made a Distilling guide here, and a guns one somewhere.

Offering docktart-citadel front row seats since Aug2020 :D
[Sep 24, 2020 5:35:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zapadapa

As this is one of my favourite puzzles, that I play a lot, I think it has something to do with your rank against other players and the total number of players.
For example, on Obsidian, where there are hardly any players, I am Sublime/GM but I still only have one 5-piece (even though I am 2nd on leaderboard right now).
Sometimes, if I play a lot and get a run of high scores (which is difficult with only one 5-piece), then I get the 2nd 5-piece, but then as soon as I have a few "bad" games, I lose it and it takes a while to get it back again.

Well, in case anyone is interested...ever since I wrote the above post almost 4 months ago, I have played at least 1 game of SW per day on Obsidian to see how long it would take to get the 2nd 5-piece. Today I am #1 and full-Ult....still no 2nd 5-piece....
This is why I think it has something to do with the number of players. I used to sometimes get the 2nd 5-piece on Obsidian when there were more players.
Meanwhile, on Emerald...I have had 2 5-pieces for years. Even if stat goes up and down, I never lose it.
Zapa of Emerald
[Jan 11, 2021 3:43:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Scottays

Well, in case anyone is interested...ever since I wrote the above post almost 4 months ago, I have played at least 1 game of SW per day on Obsidian to see how long it would take to get the 2nd 5-piece. Today I am #1 and full-Ult....still no 2nd 5-piece....
This is why I think it has something to do with the number of players. I used to sometimes get the 2nd 5-piece on Obsidian when there were more players.
Meanwhile, on Emerald...I have had 2 5-pieces for years. Even if stat goes up and down, I never lose it.

The curve on Obsidian was always skewed wrongly that you had to rank up so high to a point where you get 2 5 pieces due to the curve based on players that already know the puzzles and no new players really doing the puzzles. As there is not many people on the rankings there then it'll be more skewed. When I did it back when it first started, I had to get to Mid-leg to get 2 five pieces.
Trophy Hunter - Scottys on Meridian.
[Jan 11, 2021 9:51:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brocket3

Build all your peices then start with the 3's then the 4's and your last one should be your 5 and then start building again .You don't have to Vegas and stuff . I get Bingo's and still get excellent or incredible. It works as a ramp and your last piece is the multiplier. Always have your last piece the big one
Brocket the charter on emerald.
[Jan 30, 2021 7:39:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates