• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 42
Posts: 42   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 12259 times and has 41 replies Next Thread
SmartMouth13

Re: Unable to Install - Dark seas Error Reply to this Post

Usually my wifi is pretty good; I've never had any issues like this before. Either way, I'm pretty sure I don't even own an ethernet cable. I just wish I knew what files weren't showing up and why that is so.

(Also, to the many and varied people helping me with this, I apologize so much for this difficulty! I've had literal dreams where this problem gets solved and it's so disappointing to wake up from them.)
[Oct 14, 2017 3:12:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

When I use Get Info on the PPDS folder, it says that the folder is 415 MB and has 14,799 files (I have an extra icon file because I prefer the Windows PP:DS icon over the one that is used for Macs)

Can you open terminal and type this:

ls /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/

And then post the results?

Obviously something is preventing you from downloading all of the files needed to play the game but not certain as to what.

Do you leave Steam open while the game is downloading? Not sure if that's required, but figured I'd check.
----------------------------------------
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 
We can't rely on majestrate he yells at people

Avatar by the gracious and wonderful Phaerie <3
[Oct 14, 2017 6:40:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
SmartMouth13

Yeah, I keep it open.

results: 1.6.0.jdk jdk1.8.0_144.jdk
[Oct 15, 2017 8:47:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Obviously something is preventing you from downloading all of the files needed to play the game but not certain as to what.

Yes in most cases this is happening because the connection is being interrupted during the gathering of certain files, which prematurely makes the downloader skip to the next file. The problem is that this is not well detected by the YPP installer process, but presents several symptoms later.

The only way to get around this particular issue is to either install on a more stable, alternative internet connection - or to just replace the entire directory with a copy of the game from an alternative source.

To be fair, SmartMouth13 you can just use the ZIP I provided for Windows and just don't copy over the java_vm folder (or copy it anyway if things still aren't working). The game files are prettymuch the same for Mac and Windows as they're Java files.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Oct 15, 2017 9:52:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SmartMouth13

I used that zip file, but it changed nothing.
[Oct 15, 2017 11:34:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

This is the stupid question, but I have to ask it. How much free space do you have on your HDD?

Another question, what is the possibility of:

• Uninstalling PPDS (via Steam)
  • Uninstalling all other games you have in Steam
  • Uninstalling Steam itself
  • Uninstalling both versions of Java
  • Ensuring all Steam and Java directories have been deleted (and emptying your Trash)
  • Rebooting
  • Reinstalling Steam
  • Reinstalling Java (v8 only)
  • Reinstalling PPDS
  • Testing PPDS
  • Reinstalling all other games

#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Oct 16, 2017 8:28:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
SmartMouth13

About 160 GB.

honestly, if it came to that point, I'd just give up and never play at all. that is far beyond what I'm willing to do.
[Oct 16, 2017 11:33:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

In Steam, what happens if you right-click PP:DS, select "Properties", go to the "Local Files" tab, and click "Verify Integrity of Game Files"?

Does it report any missing?
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Oct 18, 2017 4:05:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
SmartMouth13

Between six and one files. Pressing play apparently makes those files disappear again, as verifying the integrity after has the same thing happen.
[Oct 19, 2017 7:55:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
majestrate

I can't really think of anything else to help you, unfortunately.

If I knew what files I'd be providing by archiving them, I'd provide them, but since I don't know what I'd be releasing, I don't feel comfortable sharing them.
#TeamEvil
Marto wrote: 

[Oct 19, 2017 11:22:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    first_majestrate    majestrait [Link]  Go to top 
SmartMouth13

I do appreciate all the help! It's such an odd error. I hope that I've uncovered some kind of fatal flaw that, by fixing it, helps out the game in the long run.
[Oct 19, 2017 2:10:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Barneygk

PLEASE HELP ME TOO. I can't run the game. It says "unable to install the necessary files after 5 attempts". Please help..all my mains are there. My classic YPP is working but Dark Seas is not.
[Dec 23, 2020 6:06:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 42   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates