• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 224
Posts: 224   Pages: 8   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 18556 times and has 223 replies Next Thread
Nemo
Artist

Crew or Flag Hideout Islands Reply to this Post

Being a good boy, I split this from the poor thread I hijacked.

A reasonable but misguided idea with bad forum etiquette seems as good a place as any to post my misguided idea with bad company etiquette:

Crews with sufficient fame can colonize off-shore island hideouts. Just off any colonized medium or large island are an infinite number of tiny islands on which any pirate crew can set up their s3krit HQ. The island can only support housing structures. There is no Notice Board, but maybe a pay ferry to the mainland (in the guise of smugglers). Visitors arrive via crew ships (a simple /job to a ship in port essentially whisks them right to you anyway).

Captains could place charm and customize their little hideaways to their hearts' content. It also keeps housing from piling up on the mainland. It could also house a crew bank account (a buried chest) and crew hold (possibly a structure, or just another chest).

Off the back of my head.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nemo at Jun 20, 2005 6:19:56 AM]
[Jun 20, 2005 6:19:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lord_Mogor

Re: Crew or Flag Hideout Islands Reply to this Post

I love the idea. Still leaves us with one question what to do with all those useless banks? and how to handle the porting situation?
"They'd already have the plank spank mark on their butts." Emerson, June 16th 2005
Come join us forum tarts at M-tos.da.ru/yppforum/
[Jun 20, 2005 6:25:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spiritello

Nemo wrote: 
A reasonable but misguided idea with bad forum etiquette seems as good a place as any to post my misguided idea with bad company etiquette:

Crews with sufficient fame can colonize off-shore island hideouts. Just off any colonized medium or large island are an infinite number of tiny islands on which any pirate crew can set up their s3krit HQ. The island can only support housing structures. There is no Notice Board, but maybe a pay ferry to the mainland (in the guise of smugglers). Visitors arrive via crew ships (a simple /job to a ship in port essentially whisks them right to you anyway).

Captains could place charm and customize their little hideaways to their hearts' content. It also keeps housing from piling up on the mainland. It could also house a crew bank account (a buried chest) and crew hold (possibly a structure, or just another chest).

Off the back of my head.

love it

so in like three to five years ill have my own little crew sand bar(hate the list)
yay
Gauri
Captain of the Brain Sturgeons
Lady of Bloody Hell
Cobalt
[Jun 20, 2005 6:26:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lord_Mogor

hmm, this idea I would love to see bumped to the top of the list :P its a good idea that could help give the ringers sometime to figure out a more permenant blockade situation
"They'd already have the plank spank mark on their butts." Emerson, June 16th 2005
[Jun 20, 2005 6:28:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Yay, Thousand Islands.

If a crew dropped below the fame threshold, would they lose their secret HQ? It could provide incentive to keep your crew active.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Jun 20, 2005 6:30:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Lord_Mogor

aye it could help solve all those little crews with just a cabin person active, hmm rather then lose it outright have it go inactive like shoppes till ye restore enough fame to reactivate it, and if ye are below the fame level for enough weeks consecutively then ye lose the island
[Jun 20, 2005 6:31:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kinocha

A OM hijacking a thread?

Nemo wrote: 

Off the back of my head.

Sounds fun
Kinocha, Senior Officer of White Rose under the flag Blood and Roses on Midnight Ocean

Avatar by the amazing Koalarocker
[Jun 20, 2005 6:31:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lord_Mogor

If OM's provide these kinds of ideas I'm all for them hijacking threads :P prehaps nemo will spilit off the thread so we have a seperate thread just for his idea :P
[Jun 20, 2005 6:35:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ihope127

Nemo's idea is a good one.

Right, Jonson?
No soy un número. ¡Soy un hombre gratis!
[Jun 20, 2005 6:37:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wizzo

Nemo wrote: 

Off the back of my head.

I love it. This is nearly as cool as the thriller outfit (which, incidentally, I'll be making soon, so you'll have to come by Cobalt and see it).

Fordprefect says, "I don't know what's wrong with you cap...but im sure it's hard to pronounce."

[Jun 20, 2005 7:27:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

A crew's headquarters could certainly be a less crowded and laggy alternative island entry point to the main docks. Sort of along the lines of per crew gangways:
http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=19992

Faulkston,
hoping no one will suggest buying a secret hideout for real money
[Jun 20, 2005 7:43:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Crooktooth

Back to the back of Nemo's head.

Would there be a Fame requirement for yer hidden cove?

Would the crews be able to design (within reason) the look of the terrain?

Would this be available to one man crews?

Can we give the first one to Hom, complete with "GO THE HELL AWAY!!!" and "WARNING! GRUMPY OLD MAN ON DUTY" signs?

Sidenote: There should realy be an old salt named Grumpy Oldman.
Putting live chickens in my enemy's underwear since December '03!
Avvy by Sancha!
Sloganizer says: "Crooktooth Prevents That Sinking Feeling."
[Jun 20, 2005 8:32:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://stoneknivesandbearskins.blogspot.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

Nemo wrote: 

Just off any colonized medium or large island are an infinite number of tiny islands on which any pirate crew can set up their s3krit HQ.

So, hideouts are to islands as stalls are to shops?

Nifty. But remember that stalls were created to reduce the incentive and reward for owning a shop. Hideouts will probably reduce the incentive to take an island ... which might not be what you want.
Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[Jun 20, 2005 9:10:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

goodmanj wrote: 
Nemo wrote: 

Just off any colonized medium or large island are an infinite number of tiny islands on which any pirate crew can set up their s3krit HQ.

So, hideouts are to islands as stalls are to shops?

Nifty. But remember that stalls were created to reduce the incentive and reward for owning a shop. Hideouts will probably reduce the incentive to take an island ... which might not be what you want.

It will reduce the incentive for people who want an island simply to have a home in the virtual world. People who are into the competitive side of the game will still fight over "real" islands, just as people still want "real" shoppes even now that there are stalls.

I like this idea. Let the socializers have their coves, and the cutthroats can fight over the rest.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Jun 20, 2005 9:27:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

I should have put this in a different thread. My drerailment doesn't involve selling them.

Crooktooth wrote: 

Yes.

In my utopian dream, yes, but that complicates things.

If said crew managed enough fame.
[Jun 20, 2005 9:28:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

If that house had inn capbabilities that were only local, Think of all the crew/flag only events! /em dreams.

/em heartly endorses this product and/or service.
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Jun 20, 2005 9:53:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kinocha

Nemo wrote: 
I should have put this in a different thread. My drerailment doesn't involve selling them.[

Then splitt it? (That would make us who now are you loyal subjects able to dream of our little HQ without intereference)
Kinocha, Senior Officer of White Rose under the flag Blood and Roses on Midnight Ocean

Avatar by the amazing Koalarocker
[Jun 20, 2005 6:13:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SpinalT

Nemo in this thread wrote: 
s3krit HQ.

Nemo in another thread wrote: 
It would also be far more helpful to both people who may give you that information and others searching for it if you spelled it.

Playing it at 11 since 1984!
[Jun 20, 2005 11:33:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crooktooth

Nemo wrote: 
I should have put this in a different thread. My drerailment doesn't involve selling them.

Crooktooth wrote: 

Yes.

Humpf. I better go over the fame rules again. This may mean more than just memming.
Avvy by Sancha!
[Jun 21, 2005 12:48:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://stoneknivesandbearskins.blogspot.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
skington

Fiddler wrote: 
Yay, Thousand Islands.

If a crew dropped below the fame threshold, would they lose their secret HQ? It could provide incentive to keep your crew active.

Clearly, their secret HQ would be forgotten ;-).
Leaddolphin, Captain of Serve No Porpoise, Valiant Prince on Cobalt. I want your Plaices!
The Vampire Muroni wrote: 
the hubby teases me when he catches me reading the back of shampoo bottles or the Thesaurus.

[Jun 21, 2005 1:19:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squeak22

Nemo wrote: 

Crooktooth wrote: 

Yes.

I think flag-based hideouts would work better. Celebrated or higher only? (Just keying off the comment that it's off of Medium or Large islands)
Squeakbeard,
The Pirate King
ex-ex-ex-King of Dark Judgement(Merged into CT)
Proud owner of "Pequod"
[Jun 21, 2005 1:39:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trevorius

I like. Me want.

Seriously though, this is a very cool idea, presuming it wouldn't take massive amounts of coding to implement.

Making it fame-based is good, but you'd probably want to work "rent" into it too, so it's not just a freebie once you get to a certain fame rank. Whee, PoE sinks! Perhaps work it the same as a stall, except instead of weekly rent, you get a "Bribe" button, to keep the local Navy from evicting yer scurvy hide. Bigger the HQ island, bigger the bribe. (Though they'd still be itty bitty compared to an outpost, and fairly generic.)

How would you get to your island? I suggest another icon at the docks similar to the ferries, "row to yer sandbar." For simplicity, the HQ docks would be the same docks as the main island, thus all boats docked at an island would be accessible from both the personal island and the main one.
Trevorius - Mostly retired, now with more inn-tart!
Cobalt Cerulean Ocean
Mostly lurking since 5/15/04
[Jun 21, 2005 3:11:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://raiders.tbobjohnson.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
mattmartin72

hmmn actually I'd like it to be based on fame, the more famous the crew, the better the hideout they can have, the more incentive we all have to be active.

Perhaps a one time fee for opening/finding the hideout and then a fee to upgrade it as you gain in fame, just like the stall interface.

/em likes, /em likes a lot
Napalm
Captain of Die Fish Die

Encaustic art Av by Skullcracker, click for more of Skullys work
[Jun 21, 2005 3:45:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crooktooth

Since it didn't make the split:
Crooktooth wrote: 
I think it would be piratey fun if the crew funds were accessed through a big red X on the beach.

Crooktooth.
Marking the spot.

Another idea, (shooting meself in the foot) would be for charts leading into the hidden coves/tiny islands, would have to be pillaged, or could be the reward for completeing an adventure island.
Avvy by Sancha!
[Jun 21, 2005 3:55:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://stoneknivesandbearskins.blogspot.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
kbuds

I would rather see duty reports for battle navvers.
---[color=maroon]Subliminal -[color=maroon] Viridian---
?Think. Feel. Subliminal.?
[size=9]Demeter tells you, "You are still here? Wow, least I get paid for having no life!" ;(
[Jun 21, 2005 6:09:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pwned.nl    kingbarz@yahoo.com    kingbarz80 [Link]  Go to top 
pcbunny

this is good solution for pirates in a crew to get housing without overdeveloping islands, but what about people like myself who are not in a crew or not planning on being in a crew, will housing not be available to us. Also penalising on fame ranking, could be slightly unfair as smaller crews of friends who puzzle for socialising may not make a decent enough rank to qualify for a nifty HQ.
[Jun 21, 2005 6:12:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    pc_bunny_2000 [Link]  Go to top 
sopa13

This sounds like a super nifty idea.. I was thinking about it a little bit and rather than islands, how about floating structures of some sort linked to a league point. Starting it would be dedicating a ship to act as the anchor platform allowing you to commit more ships to enlarge the structure of the base. Essentially add a sloop and get another room added to it or some such. The bigger the ship the more area added to the place. Just a way to actually enlarge or customize. Granted some of the larger crews with more poe or ships than sense could pretty much build a base larger than an Eta, but some sort of restrictions could be applied. Also allowing for a supply depot to store rum and shot or any other essentials you might need for pillaging pleasure, community crew funds chest.. Just so many ideas bouncing around in my head.
Brannagh

10 sinks Cobalt, no injury, and counting
76 sinks midnight, no injury
[Edit 1 times, last edit by sopa13 at Jun 21, 2005 6:20:59 AM]
[Jun 21, 2005 6:20:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Waterworld?

Faulkston,
The Mariner would be proud
[Jun 21, 2005 6:25:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
sopa13

Oh god, I so wasn't thinking that, I swear!

Half tempts me to delete that post just for the reference hehe
Brannagh

10 sinks Cobalt, no injury, and counting
76 sinks midnight, no injury
[Jun 21, 2005 6:26:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karsh

Nemo wrote: 

Maybe there would be a few preset island layouts, but crews could spend... I don't know, shanghais or something...to be able to design their own layout?
Karsh -Hunter-
Captain of the crew The Salty Mouthfuls
King of the flag Pirates of the Blackmast
[Jun 21, 2005 6:31:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Karsh+on+Toast [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 224   Pages: 8   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates