• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1684 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Palsjdaa

Foraging discovery Reply to this Post

Hey all!
I have noticed that in foraging, you somehow get more score for clearing 3 crates with a machete so that the bigger chests are cleared "last" than with the big box cleared "first". It doesn't make much sense since they are all cleared at the same time but I took a few screenies from two situations to help you understand:

This will give a big score increase as seen here:

Then here are those three chests but in reversed order:

And this will give much smaller score increase as seen here:

Have you noticed this before and if you have, what would be the reason for this?
----------------------------------------
Laaden of the Hunter Emerald ocean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Palsjdaa at Aug 7, 2014 3:07:09 PM]
[Aug 7, 2014 3:06:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Axxio

Re: Foraging discovery Reply to this Post

My guess is that combos earn you higher scores because of multipliers. The more you clear, the greater the consecutive multipliers will be in determining your score. Suppose it was 1x, 2x, 3x with 1x for the 1st and 2x for the 2nd and so on. Clearing the big piece first will be 1x as opposed to clearing it last for 3x multiplier. Thus, if you want a bigger bang for your score, save the bigger pieces for last as they are worth more, pairing nicely with the multipliers in this order.This is all speculation but it sounds logical.
Accion of Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Axxio at Aug 7, 2014 4:06:02 PM]
[Aug 7, 2014 4:04:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WutaiWeb

Interesting find, Pal (hehehe). Didn't know about this.

Cookies for pics too. :3
Hiding. :3

Wutai - Cerulean/Ice/Emerald
[Aug 7, 2014 5:07:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DementedDuck

My guess is that combos earn you higher scores because of multipliers. The more you clear, the greater the consecutive multipliers will be in determining your score. Suppose it was 1x, 2x, 3x with 1x for the 1st and 2x for the 2nd and so on. Clearing the big piece first will be 1x as opposed to clearing it last for 3x multiplier. Thus, if you want a bigger bang for your score, save the bigger pieces for last as they are worth more, pairing nicely with the multipliers in this order.This is all speculation but it sounds logical.

Two problems with this idea:

#1 the crates are being cleared simultaneously. There should be no combo multipliers going to because it's one clear; it's not a cascade.

#2 Foraging doesn't reward cascade clears in the same way sailing does. Actually, foraging scoring is pretty funky.
Evilduck/Superduck.
Emerald, Cerulean, and that other one.
Now in Obsidian flavour.

I record puzzles.
[Aug 9, 2014 4:44:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

DementedDuck wrote: 
#1 the crates are being cleared simultaneously. There should be no combo multipliers going to because it's one clear; it's not a cascade.

No, this has been noticed before - the crates' scores are being added up in order, separately, though whether it's always left-to-right or it's in the direction of the machete, I can't remember.
[Aug 9, 2014 4:48:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates