• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 30
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6835 times and has 29 replies Next Thread
wrs1864b

Solutions to kraken chests Reply to this Post

So, with Kraken lairs probably being released soon after the 14th, and with lots of people asking if a give chest/egg can be gotten, I figured we should have a thread so that people who see a kraken board for the first time can have just as much chance as those that have seen it the third time... (this is not a deep puzzle...)

So, here are some kraken treasure areas that I've seen and possible solutions to get the treasure without too many bumps. Please be warned, I'm not that good of a bnavver, so these "solutions" many not actually work, and they are almost certainly not the shortest/best paths. If you find better ways, or other areas/solutions, please post!

Map: TL1

Possible solution: here
Path:FRRLRRxxR

Map: Egg1

Path:RFLxxxFLxFLRFF

Map: Egg2

Path:RxxFLRRFFxFFFFRF

Map: Egg3

Path:FRRxLLFLFL

Path:FRRxxLRRRL

Path:LLxxxFLLRRRL

And this one, I can't see any good solution, other than the obvious ones that either take a lot of bumps or enter from the top

Map: CP1

And, there was this one, that was already posted in the main thread
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 3 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Jul 14, 2014 9:16:42 AM]
[Jul 14, 2014 8:13:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Keaze

Re: Solutions to kraken chests Reply to this Post

This looks fun.

Egg1 slightly faster route
solution

LFFLxRFRF
Keaze
That Bombing Guide
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Keaze at Jul 14, 2014 9:21:01 AM]
[Jul 14, 2014 9:09:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hammer1

Why can't people just learn to do the puzzles ? Posting a solution before the puzzle/map is out kinda sucks ? Its nice that you're so excited about the release.
Blackhammer.
[Jul 14, 2014 9:56:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Why can't people just learn to do the puzzles ? Posting a solution before the puzzle/map is out kinda sucks ? Its nice that you're so excited about the release.

For the same reason why there are a zillion "how to bilge" videos... I learned something from Keaze's post, I hope others learn something too. If you don't want any help, don't look at the answers.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jul 14, 2014 10:12:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jimisailor

Non-bumping solution to Egg #3:

Picture

F F L L F L F L
Jimisailor on Meridian and Emerald
Cain on Ice
[Jul 14, 2014 10:32:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    dajimirocks [Link]  Go to top 
WutaiWeb

And this one, I can't see any good solution, other than the obvious ones that either take a lot of bumps or enter from the top

Map: CP1

Weeee! These activities are fun! :D
This is why I like the new difficulty of the eggs and chests; they're so fun to think out. :3

The other maps/solutions looked pretty legitimate. Some solutions might be improved but the differences are negligible.

For the map posted in the quotes box, you're right to say that exiting is pretty much through the top. There are basically three ways to enter, though, and any of the three might need to be used depending on tentacle locations. :3

Way # 1:
Fast and without bumping! :D

Alternatively, if you somehow end up a tile-off you can enter this way too with only 1 bump.

Way # 2
A little bit longer and with no bumping.

Way # 3
Through the top (longest) and with no bumping

Hiding. :3

Wutai - Cerulean/Ice/Emerald
[Jul 14, 2014 10:49:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Picture

Yeah, but how do you get to that starting position without either bumping or looping way around the top?

And, thanks for the solutions to CP1, I didn't see a good way from the bottom, interesting...

Oh, and a tip for anyone who didn't know it: You don't have to finish a step on top of the chest to pick it up. They first part of L or R that passes over a chest will pick it up. For some reason, I didn't expect that and made longer routes because of that.

Edit: Oh, here is a recent one from the main thread:

Map: Egg4

Path:FRFFFFFxFFFFFxF
[Edit 2 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Jul 14, 2014 12:04:08 PM]
[Jul 14, 2014 11:19:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Idololo

Picture

Yeah, but how do you get to that starting position without either bumping or looping way around the top?

Not a really hard non-bumping route...

Solution
[Jul 14, 2014 11:32:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Instead of doing that, you can facing inwards in the spot diagonally below the "starting" spot and do two rights. The wind will push you down, facing the same way as where you would be entering, all you need to do is skip a turn for the wind to carry you down.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Jul 14, 2014 11:42:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WutaiWeb

Solutions link seems to be broken. D:
I think. ._.

[Jul 14, 2014 11:58:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Solutions link seems to be broken. D:
I think. ._.

Fixed... changed the wrong "1" in the url to the 4...
[Jul 14, 2014 12:05:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WutaiWeb

Oooh. That's a sexy route. :p

I did not notice those bottom currents.

Here's a lot more convoluted route, entering and exiting from the side lol. ._.

Lel I'm gonna get fired for wasting company time. :3

Edit 1: Just noticed I had one too many wait-turns on the return path. :3 Fixed the image.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by WutaiWeb at Jul 14, 2014 12:19:28 PM]
[Jul 14, 2014 12:14:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Egg 4
link here
Start facing forward into the whirlpool
LRFxLRRRxRFLFF
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Jul 14, 2014 12:41:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Oooh. That's a sexy route. :p

I did not notice those bottom currents.

Here's a lot more convoluted route, entering and exiting from the side lol. ._.

Lel I'm gonna get fired for wasting company time. :3

Edit 1: Just noticed I had one too many wait-turns on the return path. :3 Fixed the image.

This does not work, there is a south-facing wind under the ink that pushes you towards the lower whirlpool.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 

[Jul 14, 2014 12:42:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WutaiWeb

This does not work, there is a south-facing wind under the ink that pushes you towards the lower whirlpool.

Oh. ._. There's stuff under the ink? D:::

Then yep this particular route wouldn't work.
With some modifications involving alot more whirlpool turning and more time it would be possible to no-bump in-and-out of this side but might as well use the much much easier way that Algol pointed out. :3

[Jul 14, 2014 12:49:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mnemosyne
OceanMaster

The opposing wind tiles at the bottom of the cluster is some unfortunate randomness making that egg nest a lot more difficult to exit than it might normally be.
[Jul 14, 2014 1:20:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WutaiWeb

The red wind actually makes it possible to get in. :3

The green wind wouldn't be missed though. :D

[Jul 14, 2014 1:37:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

The red wind actually makes it possible to get in. :3

The green wind wouldn't be missed though. :D

and

The opposing wind tiles at the bottom of the cluster is some unfortunate randomness making that egg nest a lot more difficult to exit than it might normally be.

I don't think there is any randomness, but there could easily be confusion. Remember, if wind pushes you onto another wind, or a whirlpool, than that latter wind/whirlpool won't move your ship again.

So, if you are inside and trying to get out and you move onto the green wind, with will push you onto the red wind, where you will sit until your next move is registered. While sitting on the red wind, you can then move forward, or left, or whatever, and you are out.

Now, say you are in a bumper boat and your last of your three moves lands you on the green wind, well, you will get pushed to the red wind. Then, if you use the default "can't move" location of the fourth spot, the red wind will push you back onto the green. At this point, if you are calm and have mastered the zen of bnavving, you will wait (don't move) and let the green wind push you back onto the red wind, you are free. However, if you are frustrated and try to force things by moving forward on the green wind, the red wind will keep pushing you back.

Of course, if you are sitting on the green wind at the start of a move, you can also go left or right to escape.

So, yes, you should always be either able to get in or out via these winds, you just have to be careful.

Now, either you have learned something, or I am about to learn something, so it is a win-win. ;-)
[Edit 2 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Jul 14, 2014 1:57:13 PM]
[Jul 14, 2014 1:53:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Keaze

Egg4

The arrows represent where the ship's facing before moving

I hope I didnt make any mistakes.

#Propaintskills *points at what was under the ink*

LRRRFFxRRxFRFxFFFFFF
Keaze
That Bombing Guide
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Keaze at Jul 14, 2014 2:08:44 PM]
[Jul 14, 2014 2:07:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Eljonno4

For the same reason why there are a zillion "how to bilge" videos... I learned something from Keaze's post, I hope others learn something too. If you don't want any help, don't look at the answers.

to be honest you're wasting your time posting these as the maps are likely to keep changing till its full release.
[Jul 14, 2014 2:14:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Keaze

I don't think there is any randomness, but there could easily be confusion. Remember, if wind pushes you onto another wind, or a whirlpool, than that latter wind/whirlpool won't move your ship again.

As i understand it, in every map, there's an 8x8 zone where the treasure is. These zones may move around the map, but the rocks, winds and whirlpools never change within that zone. There could be gap*** in between the zones which have random(what Mnemosyne was talking about- im not sure how random either- the gaps might have fixed rocks and winds) rocks and winds.
The green wind is a part of a zone. The red wind is a part of the gap

no gap between zones(recycling Rilee's image.
Gap .
Keaze
That Bombing Guide
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Keaze at Jul 14, 2014 2:47:16 PM]
[Jul 14, 2014 2:33:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WutaiWeb

How are you all seeing what's under the ink. @_@

Why can't I have magical eyes like you. :[

[Jul 14, 2014 2:59:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

As i understand it, in every map, there's an 8x8 zone where the treasure is. These zones may move around the map, but the rocks, winds and whirlpools never change within that zone.

Your understanding of the random stuff placed around the blocks matches mine, but Mnemosyne was talking about exiting the block, and in particular talked about "the opposing wind tiles", not other random stuff. Am I missing something?
[Jul 14, 2014 3:13:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Keaze

I think I was meant to stop quoting at "I don't think there is any randomness"

I thought you disagreed that the red wind wasnt random because of the quote^ and that you had used it as an entry point in your solution. Apologies if I misunderstood.
Keaze
That Bombing Guide
[Jul 14, 2014 3:49:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WutaiWeb

I think I was meant to stop quoting at "I don't think there is any randomness"

I thought you disagreed that the red wind wasnt random because of the quote^ and that you had used it as an entry point in your solution. Apologies if I misunderstood.

Yeeees! I started a trend. Finaaaaally. :D

[Jul 14, 2014 4:16:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

I strangely do noy buy the bold part, to be honest!
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 

[Jul 14, 2014 5:51:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dazicans2

Having looked at that egg spawn, I would fall in love every single time. Those winds at the exit allow an entrance which would otherwise not exist. However, what are the chances of those winds actually lining up?
Spyridondaz of Emerald Ocean
[Jul 14, 2014 9:26:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Trident_2K5

Having looked at that egg spawn, I would fall in love every single time. Those winds at the exit allow an entrance which would otherwise not exist. However, what are the chances of those winds actually lining up?

Hmm... Could two boats do that anyway? One goes into the wind, another one stays right behind and pushes her. Since there's no friendly ram damage, it's free. Then the first boat returns, pushes the 2nd one out of the rocktrap, and then pushes her intto the wind the same way before they go to safe zone.

I'm not completely sure on how exactly ramming works in this case, so I may be horribly wrong, but...
mostly offline.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Trident_2K5 at Jul 17, 2014 7:48:40 AM]
[Jul 17, 2014 7:38:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WutaiWeb

Hmm... Could two boats do that anyway? One goes into the wind, another one stays right behind and pushes her. Since there's no friendly ram damage, it's free. Then the first boat returns, pushes the 2nd one out of the rocktrap, and then pushes her intto the wind the same way before they go to safe zone.

I'm not completely sure on how exactly ramming works in this case, so I may be horribly wrong, but...

That's some team-work thinking right there. :3

If the red wind did not exist but the green wind did, you could enter with two rowboats in coordination yeah. :D

The entering boat would plop in the green wind and the supporting boat would drive behind him, landing on the square where the red wind is (but it's not here in this hypothetical situation). The green wind would then try to push the entering boat back but would instead cause the supporting boat to be pushed back 1 tile through a bump collision while the entering boat remains on the green wind tile. Then the entering boat is free to enter the eggs-lair on the next turn. :D

For even more teamwork fun, a third boat could plop behind where the supporting boat would be bumped back to, preventing the supporting boat from moving and allows it to take the entering boat's place next turn so it itself can enter with it's own supporting boat.

One thing I've never been clear on as far as collisions go is if the third boat would be pushed back as a result of blocking the supporting (second) boat's being pushed back by the entering (first) boat. In other words, if the first boat's bump is transmitted down a wave of boats lined up together. :p

If it's not, then the third boat could serve as the second boat's supporting boat upon it's own entry phase and this could theoretically go on uninteruppted with an infinite chain of rowboats. @_@

But only if "bumps" are not transmitted down a line of boats. Collision mechanics are hard. :[

[Jul 17, 2014 8:01:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
WutaiWeb

More! D:

[Jul 22, 2014 7:00:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates