• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 900 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Yuebing

Does Puzzle Standing Decay over Time? Reply to this Post

I think I might be taking a break from Puzzle Pirates for a while.

So I'm wondering, does puzzle standing decay over time, or would I have to login regularly (and/or also play all puzzles) to maintain it?

Thanks!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yuebing at Sep 12, 2013 6:17:15 AM]
[Sep 12, 2013 5:54:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

Re: Does Puzzle Standing Decay over Time? Reply to this Post

No, there are ppl coning back after years and still have ultimates, but on th other hand it is that the overall performance in puzzles becomes better as ppl get more practice. As long as there are enough new players to lower the average in the same amount you should be fine.
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Sep 12, 2013 6:21:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yuebing

Ahh, so that's how it is, then. I guess it makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply :D
[Sep 12, 2013 6:39:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SailinTony

I could be wrong, but I believe your standing is only recalculated/updated after a puzzle session, on a per-puzzle basis. So let's say you take a break, and the ocean as a whole gets better at patching. Then your stat in patching could only change after you log in and patch for a bit. Just patching will not update your sailing standing, for example.

I bought a house in a more populated archipelago, and each time I played a 'new' puzzle after moving, my arch rating went down, but not until I had, for example, played a swordfighting match.

So, I could easily be wrong, but I think your stats will freeze when you're not playing and be updated accordingly when you log back on and puzzle again.
Long-dormant Sailintony , Midnight.
Actively Carlbert, Emerald.
[Sep 12, 2013 9:40:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ninty64

I believe you're half right, SailinTony.

Standings are recalculated once a day (at 3am pirate time). Even if you've been dormant for 100 days, when stats are recalculated for the next day, your standing will be adjusted.

What you said is also true, though. Whenever you add a puzzle session to one of your puzzle standings, your rating also updates.
Ninty-East - Meridian
Ninty - Cerulean (retired)
[Sep 12, 2013 9:57:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yassenn

You already have an answer, but I had some free time and nothing to do sooo here's more details than you ever wanted to know. Please note, all numbers used are only an example to explain the concept of how puzzle pirates standings work.

No, puzzle standing doesn't decay over time. After 10 days of not doing a puzzle your standing does become dormant. This means your standing no longer affects the ocean-wide curve, but the score behind your standing is still retained unchanged until the next time you puzzle.

In some cases a standing may appear to change after long bouts of inactivity but it is actually the ocean-wide curve changing. Lets say for example puzzles scored on a scale of 1000, where 0 is able with all booched scores and 1000 is the highest possible incredible a pirate could achieve in the game. The curve is created by putting every active score from an ocean onto this scale. Your standing is then determined by what percentile your score is in compared to the rest of the ocean. Lets say to acquire an ultimate standing your score must be in the top 1% of the curve and the current cutoff for the top 1% (ultimate) was a score of 975. Your current score is 970, a solid legendary.

If the ocean receives an influx of new players it is possible for the ultimate requirement to lower. The new players add scores to the curve, making the top 1% larger. They also add low scores to the curve lowering the average score, not as important for ultimate, but would lower the requirement for low standings drastically. Going along with our example, the influx of new players reduced the ultimate requirement to a score of 950. Your score of 970 is now well within the ultimate range. Your rank would raise to ultimate and you would receive the ultimate trophy no matter how long it had been since you puzzled. We've seen this type of situation occur when puzzle pirates was released on steam and more recently when it was released on Ipad.

On the other hand, it is also possible for the standing requirements to raise over time. This is usually caused by the community as a whole getting better at a puzzle. Lets say all green pirates start out performing in the 300 range and each year a pirate is around they perform 100 points better up to a max of 800 points on average. The game, dying as it is, currently has a very old community and not many new pirates coming in. So the average is around that 800 mark, and continuing to creep up as the community keeps getting better at the puzzles. This situation is best observed in labor puzzles such as distilling. The majority of pirates who perform distilling have mastered the puzzle. The others are either in the process of learning, or playing it once then rage quitting in frustration. Because of this the average score is just about a CC12, a perfect game. The difference between renowned and ultimate is maybe 2 CCs, CC10 vs CC12.

Of course those are just two ways the curve can be influenced. For the sake of pure curiosity I repeated a project I did a few years ago. The result is a visual representation of how the gunning curve has changed over the past 2-3 years. It shows the requirements have significantly lowered for all ranks. I attribute this to the removal of gunning bots.

Is it the weekend yet?
Yassenn of Hunter/Sage
Gunning Video
[Sep 12, 2013 10:32:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates