• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 6
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4203 times and has 5 replies Next Thread
Teldrade

Questions about how labor works. Reply to this Post

I apologize if this is covered elsewhere; the search function on the forum doesn't seem to work quite right.

Reading the wiki, and a few other threads about labor, I'm not sure I understand quite how it works in various scenarios.

Scenario 1 -
A Pirate on a dubloon ocean purchases a labor badge, and then gets jobs at 3 random stalls, then logs off. The stalls all have plenty of orders in the queue. As I understand it, every real-time hour, that pirate will provide an hour of labor to one of the stalls, depending on pay rate & other factors. Is this correct? So, over the next 24 real-time hours, 24 hours of labor will be used & paid for?

Scenario 2 -
A Pirate gets a labor badge, 3 random jobs, and logs off. The stalls have no orders in the queue. 4 hours later, each stall gets a queue of orders. Does any of the unused 4 hours get applied now that the stalls have orders? over 24 hours, will only 20 hours of labor be used & paid for?

Scenario 3 -
A pirate gets a labor badge, 3 random jobs that all have orders in the queue, and then forages, collecting 12 fruits. This uses up 12 hours of 'advance' labor. So, over the next 12 real-time hours, will no labor be provided to any stall, and then after that stalls start getting labor at the rate of 1 hour per real-time hour? over 24 hours, 12 labor hours are used right away for foraging, and then 12 are used & paid for at stalls?

My main reason for asking - given prevailing wages at stalls, and the exchange rate of dubloons, it seems important to maximize the output of a labor badge, by actually using all 24 labor hours every day. However, from how I understand the labor system, it seems like the only way to really guarantee this is to just use up labor on foraging, which then prevents any labor from getting used at stalls. Is it even worth trying to have a job, or should one just forage?
[Sep 1, 2013 1:36:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

Re: Questions about how labor works. Reply to this Post

Hello! I'll try to answer you as best I understand it. Someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

1. First of all, if the labor job has a puzzle, the pirate needs to have played it in the last 10 days for them to get any labor at all. Furnishing, tailoring and construction (this one doesn't get used often, regardless) still don't have a puzzle, so you don't need to do anything for those apart from take a job. When I've had badges, I've found it a lot easier to do the puzzle once a week, so I don't forget if my labor is up to date.
What you have said is correct, unless each of the stalls have too much labor. Each stall/shoppe has a maximum throughput of labor per hour. That article linked will give you an idea of how labor is allocated from employees, and what the max throughput is for each type of shoppe and stall.

2. As far as I'm aware, once those 4 hours are past they will show up as unused labor. So yes, 20 hours will be used and paid for, given that the stalls don't hit their max throughput as described above.

3. I'm not quite sure about this one... so I don't want to give you misinformation. Hopefully someone else can come in and tell you for sure!

In the past I've been asked to give labor at SW shoppes, and they've been able to guarantee that I'll get constant labor out of it to make some PoE. If you can find someone who can guarantee you labor, it makes things a lot easier. If not, you could always take jobs at a few places and monitor your labor usage with the in game tab. If you're not using enough (or any) labor, you can always switch to foraging to at least get something out of the badge. The only thing with foraging is you can easily lose hours out of your badge if you forget to do it one day, or you log on later than you thought you were going to. You can try to offset this by taking jobs at some stalls/shoppes (making sure you've done the puzzle recently), just in case you miss some forage hours.
----------------------------------------
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[Sep 1, 2013 3:38:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BobJanova

I believe you're correct (except for the number of workers as mentioned above, and for 'orders' read 'orders or spare reserve'). I'm not 100% on point 3 either though.
Bobjanova on Viridian and Malachite
Shops and stalls with fair and profitable wages for all: Jubilee, Napi, Chelydra
Stripped/Barely Dressed (Malachite)
Phantasm/Reign of Chaos (Viridian)
[Sep 1, 2013 3:59:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

You are correct on point 3. Both foraging and online puzzling of crafting puzzles use up "advance labor hours". You will not start producing offline labor until the those advanced hours have passed.

For foragers, getting a shop job is a good way of helping prevent lost labor, if you can't forage every day at the same time. Any labor hours that don't go to replenishing your advance hours used by foraging will then by tried to be used for the shop, and only if no shop can use it, will it be wasted.

I used to run a forage operation primarily to recruit employees. This was on a sub ocean where you couldn't just buy more labor badges and at a time when labor was extremely tight there. Sure, they employees that I recruited generally only gave a few hours per day, but sometime they would go days in a row without foraging and I would get all of it in my shop.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 2 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Sep 1, 2013 5:18:01 AM]
[Sep 1, 2013 4:27:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

My main reason for asking - given prevailing wages at stalls, and the exchange rate of dubloons, it seems important to maximize the output of a labor badge, by actually using all 24 labor hours every day. However, from how I understand the labor system, it seems like the only way to really guarantee this is to just use up labor on foraging, which then prevents any labor from getting used at stalls. Is it even worth trying to have a job, or should one just forage?

Get the jobs. Foraging only works if you remember-- and are able-- to log on every day, and do the work in a timely manner. In fact, back before I had any shops, I rarely foraged anyway-- only when the mood struck me.

Generally, shoppes come in three varieties: very good, but occasional pay; steady work but lower wages; and dead in the water. Try to get a job at one of the steady-but-not-great-wages places, so that all your labor gets used, and a couple at the great wages, but only occasional work. Don't forget that the minimum pay you want should cover the doubloon cost of the badge (at 2300/dub, that's about 16.5 PoE/hour). That will take some hunting-- and once you've found a place with wages like that, then you'll also need to watch how much work they give you, to make sure they're not dead in the water.

And if you're on Emerald, consider popping over to Sayer's Rock and taking a job at Elf Shot, purveyor of fine cutlery and the occasional cannonball. I offer reasonably steady work, most of the time.

One thing to NOT do is buy a deluxe badge, unless you own a shoppe. It's easy to lose hours with those, as you can use up all the available labor too easily if you're not the one controlling how much is needed.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Sep 1, 2013 5:10:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Boyscout9

One thing to NOT do is buy a deluxe badge, unless you own a shoppe.

This is both good and bad advice. But his point is well founded.

As foraging is the most reliable way of maximizing your badge investment (unless you are really new to foraging and do not get even splits of fruit...) this advice can turn into just "paying" for your badge. If you are looking to make money on labor badges consistently, deluxe badges will offer the most ROI if combined with forage.

The decision really needs to come down to one question: How much time do you want to invest in maintaining your labor badge investment? If you don't want to spend a lot of time at all get a shoppe job and work it once a week. If you want a good ROI, invest the time learn to forage consistently and find a reliable boat you can continually use for your jobbing. Get a shoppe job as backup, cause let's face it, life happens.

I start all my labor badge holders on basic badges while I build skill and time on the puzzle. Once I begin to see a ROI consistently, then I move them to a deluxe badge. It is worth to note, that I do run several stalls at maximum output per week. Because I control the order process, I have control of the labor utilization as mentioned in the previous post.

The choice is yours how you want to handle it. However, all of the advice given so far is accurate.
[Sep 1, 2013 1:45:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates