• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1714 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
Franklincain

portrait item attribution Reply to this Post

The "portrait section" template is designed to work with those portraits that are still part of a gallery belonging to a specific pirate. This template will not work with framed portraits, which can be traded away to other pirates. The link for a framed portrait has a specific Ocean and a specific Item-ID. Since a framed portrait can be traded away to anyone, the URL has no reference to the owning pirate.

To cover those incidents where a portrait item was cropped from a framed portrait, I'd like to have a new template made accordingly. Provided there is no reason not to do so, I plan to create such a template shortly.

The "portrait section" template (for portraits still in a pirate's gallery) says this:

Taken from a portrait(link) in {{{2}}}'s gallery on the [[{{{1}}} Ocean]].

I plan to have this new template say this:

Taken from a framed portrait(link) on the [[{{{1}}} Ocean]].

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Franklin
----------------------------------------
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Franklincain at Jul 18, 2013 9:12:54 PM]
[Jul 18, 2013 9:11:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Re: portrait item attribution Reply to this Post

What kind of URL does a framed portrait have?
[Jul 19, 2013 1:18:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

http://cerulean.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/gallery/portrait.wm?itemid=5657629

This is from one of my old framed portraits.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Thunderbird at Jul 19, 2013 4:32:11 AM]
[Jul 19, 2013 4:31:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Then, maybe edit the portrait section template to show a different text (and use a different link) if the pirate name parameter is left blank?
[Jul 19, 2013 5:56:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Then, maybe edit the portrait section template to show a different text (and use a different link) if the pirate name parameter is left blank?

Yeah, that would be easiest for everyone to use (I should have thought of that)...

Unfortunately, I myself lack the savvy to make that kind of wiki-code change myself :-( so I'd need to defer to someone else's expertise in making that change...

Franklin
[Jul 19, 2013 8:01:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

I've mocked up a sandbox for changing this, though the Usage notes will need to be updated and if anyone wants to comment on the wording of the "Taken from" part, figure I'd best leave it as a sandbox for now.

I'd forgotten some of the annoyances of those ifdef templates :P.

I should note that since the portrait section template does not use named parameters, my sandboxed version checks to see if the third parameter is there or not (with the item ID intended to take the place of the pirate name for framed portraits).
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Thunderbird at Jul 19, 2013 10:21:16 PM]
[Jul 19, 2013 10:18:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Just remembered, I've seen some people use this format:

{{ portrait section
| 1= Ocean_Name
| 2= Pirate_Name
| 3= Item_ID
}}

Thought you ought to know about this, for testing purposes.

Thanks,
Franklin
[Jul 21, 2013 9:50:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Altering the template to take the above occasional usage into account would make it even more complicated than it already is (the possibilities that are going through my mind for that right now just scream spaghetti code). As I said on the talk page for the sandbox template, I don't see framed portraits being used very often (are we currently using any at all for sources?), so there is limited utility in taking different formats into account.
[Jul 25, 2013 2:53:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Sorry, not clear on why that usage needs to be accounted for specifically? There's no functional difference between |1=OceanName and just |OceanName.
[Jul 25, 2013 3:35:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates