• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2826 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
Squishat

Why is there no collective page entitled "Boxes"? Reply to this Post

As with Familiars, we now have a lot of types of Boxes.

Promotional (Seasonal Boxes), Black Boxes, Gold Boxes, Decennium Boxes (nope, no page on this), and to a different extent but also colloquially called "boxes", the boxes from the different SMHs.

I find it funny that all these separate pages exist, and yet there is no collective page that acts like thefamiliar page does.

I was thinking to expand the mystery box page, and then make a collective page that gives a rundown on all of them (similar to the Chart page).

Feels like with this many types of boxes, a page like that would be quite within reason.

I am not sure if "Boxes" would be the most accurate thing to call them... So before I go about creating pages that will be deleted, I'd like to know what you guys think of this.
----------------------------------------
Hellogoodbye says, "Squishat - Pro rock sinker."
on Emerald

===
[May 6, 2013 11:00:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Re: Why is there no collective page entitled "Boxes"? Reply to this Post

The chests from Atlantis, CI, and HS are collectively called "Treasure chests" and there is a YPPedia page for them. These are different from prize boxes because they are commodities and not booty items.

One reason that we do not have a collective article for the prize boxes is because nobody has created one yet. The other reason is that we may not have had guidance from Three Rings about a collective name for them. As you can see, "Prize boxes" might be a good name for them, but it is unofficial.
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[May 6, 2013 1:47:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

You may be surprised to learn that we don't just run around deleting pages all day. Be bold - it's one of the policies we've implicitly adopted from Wikipedia. =)

That said, how much information could be on such an article? It kinda sounds like just a disambiguation page to me. Also, it's better to give the page a singular name - for example, "Box". It's much easier to link the plural form to a singular title than it is the other way around.
[May 6, 2013 1:50:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

You may be surprised to learn that we don't just run around deleting pages all day. Be bold - it's one of the policies we've implicitly adopted from Wikipedia. =)

That said, how much information could be on such an article? It kinda sounds like just a disambiguation page to me. Also, it's better to give the page a singular name - for example, "Box". It's much easier to link the plural form to a singular title than it is the other way around.

Box
-Seasonal boxes(Seperate by years because each year had different prizes for the same color)
--20XX
---Ice/Wine/Plum/SG
--20XX
---etc

-Promotional Boxes
--10yr Aniversary
--Heart shaped boxes(400-100k poe inside for $dub/sub purchase)
--Others like heart shaped

-Purchasable Boxes
--Black box
--Gold box
--RM Chart Box

not sure how yppedia is exactly set up, but I don't see a lack of content here.
tried to format it, sorry if it looks bad >.<
[May 6, 2013 5:15:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

So anyway. I find the word 'box' fine - SMH/forage ones I'm used to call chests, even if they were jars or cans or black holes. They're just 'chests' to me not that it matters.

When it comes to the term 'promotional', I immediately think about the mystery gifts for buying dubs/subs - much because the official documentation uses the word 'Promotion'.

I would personally refrain from dividing them into 'Seasonal' and 'Promotional' - the first suggests the boxes returning while we players might not be sure about it and the latter see above.

If such a page is to be created, I'd rather do something like:

Promotional
-Mystery boxes
-> ...

Purchaseable
-Black Box
-Gold Box
-Chart Box

Just to make a note. 'Gift' takes you to sub gifting (while a link to 'present' is on the top) and even Three Rings uses both 'mystery gift' and 'mystery box' in their news, documentation and whatnots.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[May 6, 2013 6:15:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squishat

The chests from Atlantis, CI, and HS are collectively called "Treasure chests" and there is a YPPedia page for them.

Yes, I am perfectly aware of that.

I was thinking to sort of add a blurb at the bottom underneath the title "If you meant treasure chests, visit this other page" or something. Because as others have mentioned, they do like to refer to those as boxes.

One reason that we do not have a collective article for the prize boxes is because nobody has created one yet. The other reason is that we may not have had guidance from Three Rings about a collective name for them. As you can see, "Prize boxes" might be a good name for them, but it is unofficial.

Yea, which is the exact reason for this discussion... What does the community think is a good enough appropriate title?

I actually already had a lot that I wanted to write on it, much like suggested by Txx and Sizzly. Also when I was running around last night including the "box" section on different pages, I'd have loved to link to this page that hasn't been created yet.

Both information linking to the official documentation (because that isn't easy to find unless you know where to look), and where to obtain them, etc.

Yea, I kinda noticed that. (Btw, is it possible that when searching for "Black Boxes" it will redirect? Currently only "Black Box" will redirect)

not sure how yppedia is exactly set up, but I don't see a lack of content here.
tried to format it, sorry if it looks bad >.<

Oh that looks like a good formatting, but I think I will combine it with Sizzly's suggestion to first sort "buyable" and "promotional"
on Emerald

===
[May 6, 2013 10:31:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

We should separate promotions based on ones you can buy, and ones given for free.
Or even promotions based on boxes with le colors, and other boxes for promotions.
There's multiple examples of all 4 categories I mentioned, I like the latter the best.

Specific box page request:

Also, I want to have somewhere will all of the LE boxes and the prize list/color for every year/month/set of days available.
As a merchant, knowing how long they were available, and how long ago, as well as the percentage would be nice to have easily available either on, or via a link from, the box page.

General request:
How do you make pages? I could do this but I don't know where to even start...
[May 7, 2013 11:24:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Notsizzly

Has there ever been any other promotional boxes of any sort given for free other than the decennium ones? For the rest, you were required to buy dubs or subs for whatever the value for any of them ever was (this is what I remember so excuse me if my memory is fading on me after all these years). This is a good page to have an overview over the promotions and things there has been: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Category:Official_Documentation

It could be something like:

Promotional

Mystery gifts
- March/spring green
etc

Miscellaneous items
- Heart-Shaped Box
- Holiday Favors

Decennium mystery gift (free)

Purchaseable

Black Box
Chart Box
Gold Box

Something blah. Whatever the person creating the page finds nice.
~ Sizzly of Emerald ~
[May 7, 2013 12:00:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

General request: How do you make pages? I could do this but I don't know where to even start...

Well the URL for the yppedia page is: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/

After the .com/, you can type whatever you would like. For example, http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Box or http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Purchasable_Box

*Note: The underscore acts as a space.*

The above 2 links were merely examples. Feel free to name the page whatever you like.

Once you go to the URL you would like the page to be called, there should be a create button near the top right.
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[May 7, 2013 12:39:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Notsizzly wrote: 
Has there ever been any other promotional boxes of any sort given for free other than the decennium ones?

I'm pretty sure a box was given out to pirates after the ocean merge, but I've forgotten the name of them. Frozen XX Banner, or something?
[May 7, 2013 2:18:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
randomact

That wasn't a box, it was a miscellaneous item.
Loathe/Forever.

Cremate tells ye, "i think i just broke my hymen"
[May 7, 2013 2:26:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twittly

Frozen XX Banner

That is correct. If you do want that on the wiki, I can get a screenshot... I never did open it ;)
~Twittly~ on "Sage" "Emerald" Ocean
Check out my gallery of other avatars
[May 7, 2013 7:54:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Thought I'd uploaded a screenshot at the time. Or maybe I just left one uncracked on an alt with the intent to upload it at some point.

In any case, you're discounting it from being a box because it's not a furniture item? That's discrimination, that is. =P ... And I'm fairly sure the promotions originally gave out boxes that sorted in the miscellaneous section of the booty...

Edit: Found mystery box. It's a little out of date, though.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Belthazar451 at May 7, 2013 9:20:33 PM]
[May 7, 2013 9:04:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Box

I started, copying that and some other pages and consolidating them into one "box" page.
Don't know how to add that it looks ugly and terrible and is a stub :P
[May 7, 2013 9:33:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squishat

I started, copying that and some other pages and consolidating them into one "box" page.

The intention was not to copy information over from Mystery Box, but to expand it on its own, give general information on the box page.

Royal blue items weren't strictly ever a box. You also knew EXACTLY which items you were getting before you did anything.

/e edits all the pages while everyone on the other side is asleep.

Here's a thought about the chart box. It is a furniture item, and can actually be placed. I've no idea how to upload the relevant pics in the format the way the furniture images are supposed to be

Gonna add that now.
on Emerald

===
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Squishat at May 8, 2013 6:43:35 AM]
[May 7, 2013 10:42:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

The intention was not to copy information over from Mystery Box, but to expand it on its own, give general information on the box page.

Royal blue items weren't strictly ever a box. You also knew EXACTLY which items you were getting before you did anything.

/e edits all the pages while everyone on the other side is asleep.

I figured a template or at least and attempt at one would help for anyone who wants to write up the page. I for one am terrible at this whole "expanding with information" as I don't know how to make it sound... wiki-ish. I just thought I'd make an attempt at it :P.
Thanks for cleaning it up though!

edit: took me over half an hour to figure out how to make the table of contents box show up, and then some format it the way I did.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Pixulayted at May 8, 2013 6:35:56 AM]
[May 8, 2013 6:34:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squishat

It's quite ok! And it was a good start!

Oh man. I love the yppedia not working just as I am about to save a long change..
on Emerald

===
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Squishat at May 8, 2013 7:15:40 AM]
[May 8, 2013 7:10:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

It's quite ok! And it was a good start!

Oh man. I love the yppedia not working just as I am about to save a long change..

The first time I made the page, I accidentally closed it without saving...
[May 8, 2013 8:12:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

Sooo, Squish. Image tags. The one you want is {{furniture image}}, not {{ooo image}} (which, incidentally, wasn't working because you were writing it in upper-case, and template names are case-sensitive... for that matter, all links are case-sensitive). But now that you've worked out the magic of furniture image uploading, maybe you can do the rest of them? =D

The table of contents appears automatically when you've got three ir more headings on the page, but this can be disabled in the user preferences. You can force it to appear by using the __TOC__ magic word, or you can use {{TOCright}}, which both forces it to appear and puts it on the right side of the page.

I've gotta say, though, it still feels like little more than a glorified disambig page to me...
[May 8, 2013 1:53:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

Yeah bel, I figured it out after a while :P.
And I feel like if we aren't going to add boxes, could we add the mystery box info from that page[box] to the mystery box page?

Edit: by this I mean add historical notes or such to include ALL previous mystery no promos.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Pixulayted at May 8, 2013 2:11:36 PM]
[May 8, 2013 2:08:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squishat

Sooo, Squish. Image tags. The one you want is {{furniture image}}, not {{ooo image}} (which, incidentally, wasn't working because you were writing it in upper-case, and template names are case-sensitive... for that matter, all links are case-sensitive). But now that you've worked out the magic of furniture image uploading, maybe you can do the rest of them? =D

Would be nice to have a thread full of posts like that so that people who want to help don't have to spend forever trying to figure stuff out when they just want to help.

Also I haven't noticed any other furniture item that is missing?

I also still don't know how to upload furniture with customizable colors. But I guess I could just color the red part and the green part... or was I supposed to go into rsrc and look for the file?

I've gotta say, though, it still feels like little more than a glorified disambig page to me...

I was distracted with the chart box, but I guess that will be my project for today. I had a very clear direction of where I wanted to take the page, but then after the comments came in I actually became more confused..

I'll figure it out.
on Emerald

===
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Squishat at May 9, 2013 12:01:19 AM]
[May 8, 2013 11:01:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates