• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 5066 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Xanther4

Adventure, where art thou? Reply to this Post

Captain Cleaver wrote:

Puzzle Pirates has been very successful in many ways, but in one respect it fails us all: the vast majority of prospective pirates who visit the site never experience the game. They are deterred, perhaps by the 'Do you trust these scurvy dogs?' security warning, perhaps by the fullsome sixty megabytes of download. Of those that do don their rags, many never save their poor pirates. Every one of these folks is a drowned cabin-person never to join a crew nor play a round at the Inn, nor embark on their first sea monster hunt.

I found this while derping around on the YPPedia adventures page. Granted, while this was posted FIVE YEARS AGO, one might think something might have been done to solve these blatantly obvious problems. The only valid attempt at fixing this problem lived and died with those crafty Puzzle Pirates Adventures. Crimson Bill, where art thou?

On June 12 2008, Puzzle Pirates Adventures was announced by Captain Cleaver. According to the announcement, they are the first step towards fulfilling the "adventure" side of Puzzle Pirates which has long been suggested by both players and developers.

Oh, "adventure side," where art thou?
----------------------------------------
Wipley of Emerald
Darkfaery's Avatar Goodness

Making the forums awkward and the game more stupid since 2008.

Anything
[Mar 20, 2013 1:19:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

Re: Adventure, where art thou? Reply to this Post

inb4didntmakeenoughmoney
[Mar 20, 2013 1:25:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xanther4

inb4didntmakeenoughmoney

Oh perhaps. But from where I stand, not including these adventures, or more game improvements like it has actually ended up costing the company more money than it should.
Wipley of Emerald

Anything
[Mar 20, 2013 1:50:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

Long term? We don't need that because SK.

In all seriousness, I missed these adventures and I'm kind of pissed. I played before and after them.
[Mar 20, 2013 2:06:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xanther4

In all seriousness, I missed these adventures and I'm kind of pissed. I played before and after them.

Money is money. If they're spending time and effort on this game still, shouldn't they try to maximize profits?

MEH. SK.
Wipley of Emerald

Anything
[Mar 20, 2013 2:09:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

Money is money. If they're spending time and effort on this game still, shouldn't they try to maximize profits?

MEH. SK.

based off how game design is, and the amount of "overwhelming development support", they aren't spending any time on the game...
[Mar 20, 2013 2:32:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tilinka

For context, these were tested before Cursed Isles and expeditions and never made it past beta. I'd argue that those two additions were an attempt to include the sort of atmosphere that adventures did without requiring use of a separate game client or the causing absurd amount of lag and glitchiness that I remember Y!PP adventures suffered from.

Cursed Isles I think hit the nail for accomplishing much the same thing... except like every other sea monster area, it is proving to be too exclusive against new players to help much with the player-retention problem.

I would dearly love to see some expeditions that reference Crimson Bill or Grey Ghost. I'd like to think that it wouldn't take too much tweaking to have the forage or TH pillage spawns occasionally feature an NPC interaction.
Tilinka, Emerald
Perilous Puppet
Avatar Thread | Finished Artsy Stuff | Sketches
[Mar 20, 2013 3:11:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.perilouspuppets.com/blog    3569427 [Link]  Go to top 
PhantomNuke

They should really add such things to the main client...

And yes, the overwhelming developer support is deafening. What, you've never heard of deafening silence?
Game Design: A place to hide all your posts from OOO employees.
[Mar 20, 2013 4:46:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tanonev

I'm almost positive that Y!PP Adventures were scrapped for technical reasons, not political or financial ones. Building the adventures as an in-browser applet was quite a feat, not unlike making a sweater from silly string is quite a feat -- a feather in your cap to be able to say you've done it, and certainly interesting looking, but uncomfortable to actually use, and next to impossible to maintain. Java applets suffer from portability issues ("write once, run nowhere": Y!PPA's first release managed to crash my X-server from within the browser, and capturing input is a distressingly difficult problem), security issues (if you're wondering why you have to patch Java every other day, it's because they're trying to close security holes that are most commonly deployed using--you guessed it--Java applets embedded in web pages; I personally opted out of installing the Java plugin for any of my browsers because of this), and performance issues (this is an inevitable byproduct of having to deal with security and portability; applets' access to hardware resources is restricted, which often degrades game performance).

In short, Y!PPA was a good idea coupled with a bad platform choice. As Tilinka pointed out, they extracted (some of) that good idea and injected it into main-game content.
Tanonev on all oceans; currently exploring Meridian.
Puppetar by Tilinka
[Mar 20, 2013 8:33:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.alpha-slash.com [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

> In short, Y!PPA was a good idea coupled with a bad platform choice.

There's a lot of truth to this, I think. We had hoped that PPA would 'open up the funnel' and get more people through to trying the game, as the OP alluded. Despite browser java issues, a higher percentage of new visitors did get to playing PPA, but it didn't keep them well* nor transfer them efficiently to PP.

It's worth noting that content was time consuming and tricky to make, so there wasn't very much of it. If we'd fully developed the game as a stand-alone title it might have made sense, but that wasn't the original purpose and the initial results weren't exciting enough to keep at it. Java frustrations were certainly a part of that decision.

At least PPA made it out of the door, unlike a few other attempts we've made to get more players into Puzzle Pirates, some of them similarly complex and substantial. Which is to say we have put a lot of effort into this problem over the years. It's easy to say with hindsight that we did the wrong things ;)

- Cleaver

* It's worth noting that Puzzle Pirates retains players extremely well against comparable games.
[Mar 20, 2013 11:30:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Xanther4

Wow, a response from Cleaver. I'm astonished.

Anyways, I know less than nothing when it comes to programming or scripting or the likes, but I do appreciate the difficulties involved and appreciate the feedback.

I've also had an idea in the back of my mind that I neglected to address in the OP. You say the problem is with Java. Maybe rehashing something of the sort with the iPad version, at least in the form of a tutorial, might just help with acquiring those players that couldn't be bothered the first go around. There seems to be a lot of potential regarding this release, and doing it right seems more important than doing it now. Since it doesn't support Java anyways, perhaps it could open some windows programming-wise that might not exist right now.

Like I said, I know none of the programming details, so this may not work in the slightest. It makes my day to see a OOO response in a GD thread, it's what many of us have been hoping for for a long time now.
Wipley of Emerald

Anything
[Mar 21, 2013 1:35:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PhantomNuke

Thank you for your response.

Perhaps, as Xanther points out, we could have some sort of tutorial "adventure" built directly into the main client? Perhaps with a way for another player (be it friend or crewbie). Adventures were a fantastic feature even if they didn't quite work, and would be welcomed by many.

For content creation, there is a small army of players willing to go the extra mile. I'm sure something could be worked out?

We could also use the opportunity to give players content that is available on-demand, and can be paused and resumed at will...
Game Design: A place to hide all your posts from OOO employees.
[Mar 21, 2013 4:40:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pixulayted

First, thank you Cleaver for giving a response, it is much appreciated.

second:

Perhaps, as Xanther points out, we could have some sort of tutorial "adventure" built directly into the main client?

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=190741
[Mar 21, 2013 5:43:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xanther4

First, thank you Cleaver for giving a response, it is much appreciated.

second:

Perhaps, as Xanther points out, we could have some sort of tutorial "adventure" built directly into the main client?

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=190741

Yes.

There are some other places that ask for a tutorial, or series of them, to help new players. I believe there is power in numbers, though, and good ideas need to be shared.
Wipley of Emerald

Anything
[Mar 21, 2013 10:11:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates