• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 88
Posts: 88   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 18327 times and has 87 replies Next Thread
bel_pirates

The Shop Tool 4.2 (Updated September 16, 2005) Reply to this Post

Version 4.1 (Excel and Open Office)
Version 4.2 (Excel Only)
Changelog

First, some credits:
BigW, Kip and Clinton from Silver Dawn were instrumental in helping get the sheet started. I took over their work after version 2.2. Since then, I have been maintaining the sheet and adding new features. A changelog for versions 2.2 through the current version is available from the link above.

An overview:
1. All shops are present in the tool, including the realtor.

2. The tool works across all oceans including Ice. There is a drop-down menu on each shop page to select your ocean. Tax values are updated automatically.

3. Rent can be figured into the cost of items based on your current rent/labor hour usage. For example, if your rent is 1000 and you use 10% of your max labor throughput, it costs you 2.5 poe/unit of used labor. Information can be pulled from the in-game labor report in your shop. The only numbers you need are the total basic, skilled and expert labor used.

4. The tool can figure your shop's approximate net-worth. For unfinished goods in your shop, the tax value is used for this approximation. For finished goods, your dock/rack price is used. It's not exact, but it's a fair estimate.

The future:
1. I'm working on adding a way to figure actual cost for labor. If you have different wage level employees, you'll really appreciate this. If you have everyone working at the same rate, it won't be so helpful. It will be much easier if Peghead changes the labor report for shops to match the report for pirates.

2. Doubloon recovery costs to be implented.

What I need:
1. Bugs. Send them to me here in a PM or email to jasonthedce AT gmail DOT com.

2. Feature requests. Much of the innovation in the tool is the result of things that I wanted for my IM. There are undoubtedly things that Tailors or Apoths would like that aren't in there. If you let me know what it is that you want, I'd be happy to get it coded for you, assuming it doesn't take me forever.

Known Bugs
* Some furnisher recipes in 4.1 are incorrect.
----------------------------------------
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[Edit 11 times, last edit by Artemis at Jan 9, 2006 8:15:27 AM]
[May 24, 2005 4:45:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TammyLynn

Re: The Shop Tool 4.1 (Updated August 11, 2005) Reply to this Post

I have been using the previous version (thanks) and haven't been able to get the tax prices to update when I 'enable automatic refresh'. I seem to have the same problem with this version.

Is this something I am doing wrong?
[May 24, 2005 5:47:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

Try re-importing the tax data from scratch. To do this, select the entire sheet for the relevant ocean and hit delete to clear all the values. Next, go to data/import/new web query. Put http://midnight.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/econ/taxrates.wm in the box to pull from. It should come up with two tables side by side. Click the yellow arrows next to each table. It is important that you don't choose the single arrow in the top left. If the data ends up in two tables, it won't work correctly.

It's also possible that you have a firewall that's blocking Excel from getting the updated information. I've never experienced that myself, but it's possible I suppose. Also, you might try doing a manual update and see what happens. To do this, go to Data/Refresh Data on the relevant ocean sheet. You might confirm that it's downloading the correct data by setting the tax value for sugar cane to 10 and then see if it changes.
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[May 24, 2005 6:01:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonlilly

Why are certain cells in 'read-only' mode? It doesn't make sense that the 'Current Stock' for shot cells should be read-only, or the amount we have in the coffers.

I know how to undo it. I am just curious why it is defaulted like that.
Dragonlilly, Captain of SDTC
A very much retired old sea salt! Or would that be sea saltess?
Shanty Raid-io!
[May 24, 2005 7:07:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dragonlilly.shantyraidio.com    srdragonlilly    SO+Dragonlilly    101380420 [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

Dragonlilly wrote: 
Why are certain cells in 'read-only' mode? It doesn't make sense that the 'Current Stock' for shot cells should be read-only, or the amount we have in the coffers.

I know how to undo it. I am just curious why it is defaulted like that.

Things are read-only so they don't get accidentally over-written. It would seem that I missed a few that should have been writeable, however. I'll double check the sheets and fix that in the next version. For now, you can disable the protection by going to Tools/Protection/Unprotect Sheet.
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[May 24, 2005 7:26:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clinton

Just as a note- I updated from 2.0 up to 2.2, Which were the alternative minimum tax releases.

And still the most asthetically pleasing

Thanks for doing this Bel. I've been too lazy to make some of the changes I need for the apoth (serandite addition to pink) from the 4.0 pre-release you gave me and was meaning to talk to you about it. I've also been meaning to talk to you about how mmult and sumproduct make it easier to maintain because they really impede my casual hacking and generally make a pain out of adding columns for some numbers that I would like to have but that would just be confusing to most people in a general release. Maybe there's some trick to manipulating them without breaking them those operations that I don't know.
Clinton, Innocent, Silver Dawn - Mignight

Have a Innocent <fish> ship? We will buy/trade. Contact any Innocent officer (preferably Clinton or Cheezit if available).
[May 24, 2005 10:11:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.silver-dawn.org    Grivooga    Grivooga [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

Clinton wrote: 
Just as a note- I updated from 2.0 up to 2.2, Which were the alternative minimum tax releases.

Fixed.

I've also been meaning to talk to you about how mmult and sumproduct make it easier to maintain because they really impede my casual hacking and generally make a pain out of adding columns for some numbers that I would like to have but that would just be confusing to most people in a general release. Maybe there's some trick to manipulating them without breaking them those operations that I don't know.

The easiest way is to not add columns to the sheet that would affect the recipe section. If that's not an option, add a column to the sheet, then add a row in the commods section in the same place. So if your column comes down between Iron and Wood, add a blank row between Iron and Wood. If you insert an entire row (my recommendation), you can then hide the row and everything should work out OK. Alternatively, you can just insert blank cells between Iron and Wood in only the commod section. If you edit the Tailor sheet, be sure to add cells in the commod section plus 2 columsn left of the commod section, or else it breaks the Tailor sheet.
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[May 25, 2005 1:13:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dartjes

found a problem with using this excell sheet in countries that dont use a dot "." before decimals but a comma ",". Is there anyway i can change the sheet to update the "." to a "," ?
[May 25, 2005 4:50:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

Dartjes wrote: 
found a problem with using this excell sheet in countries that dont use a dot "." before decimals but a comma ",". Is there anyway i can change the sheet to update the "." to a "," ?

Check Tools/Option/International. Uncheck "Use system seperators" and then put the appropriate seperators in the box.
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[May 25, 2005 5:11:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dartjes

bel_pirates wrote: 
Dartjes wrote: 

Check Tools/Option/International. Uncheck "Use system seperators" and then put the appropriate seperators in the box.

True but its about the downloaded tax info... its a 0.6 instead of a 0,6 even the cell properties dont do anything about "inputted" information like 0.6.
[May 25, 2005 6:10:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

Dartjes wrote: 
bel_pirates wrote: 
Dartjes wrote: 

True but its about the downloaded tax info... its a 0.6 instead of a 0,6 even the cell properties dont do anything about "inputted" information like 0.6.

You can try going to Data/Edit Query, then click Options in that screen. Check the "Disable data recognition" button. If that doesn't work, try doing a find/replace (Control-H or Edit/Replace) and changing all the periods to commas. Make sure it only replaces data on that sheet, or else it might mess up the rest of the tool.
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[May 25, 2005 11:20:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
popeye09

Yer need to check a few of yer labour throughputs matey. It's giving 4/2/1 for a medium weavery. That's the actual labour throughput for a small one.
[May 25, 2005 11:55:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

popeye09 wrote: 
Yer need to check a few of yer labour throughputs matey. It's giving 4/2/1 for a medium weavery. That's the actual labour throughput for a small one.

As is often the case, some of the stall numbers changed in a prior release. Please PM me any other differences in labor throughput between the tool and the actual numbers in game. Shops and Fine Shop numbers are most helpful, as I've had to guess on a few of those. I've updated the tool so the fix will be in the next version (4.01).

You can update your version by unhiding columns B-F and updating the table yourself. You'll need to turn off sheet protection to do it. (Tools/Protection/Unprotect).
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[May 25, 2005 3:47:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ottovb

Thank you everyone who has worked to create this wonderful tool. It has totally changed my approach to shop management.

I have one problem though: I can't get the tax information and related fields to populate in the sheets for the different shop types. I tried deleting the data in the tax tables for the different oceans and then re-querying the web page as suggested. The tables re-populate with the tax data, but not the tax columns for the different shops pages (they remain "N/A".) Any ideas?

[edit]
I am using the latest version of Excel 2004 for Mac (11.1.1). I cant get Open Office to run to test with that.
[Jun 26, 2005 3:57:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

Current Version (4.1 Beta)

I've updated the tool with the furnisher shop in there. Some notes...

It only works on Ice. The other oceans don't have tax values for some of the finished products that a furnisher uses (ie. paint, shot, grog). I think that it should correct itself automatically once the data is available from the tax query page, but it may take a few days after the patch hits production oceans for it to all settle out. Worst case scenario, I'll post a manual fixed version once the patch is out.

The graphics are not in for the Furnishing shop yet, so you'll have to navigate as normal for now using the tabs. I'll add graphics when I feel like it/have time. :)

Check the changelog linked in the original post for additional changes/fixes.

I have one problem though: I can't get the tax information and related fields to populate in the sheets for the different shop types. I tried deleting the data in the tax tables for the different oceans and then re-querying the web page as suggested. The tables re-populate with the tax data, but not the tax columns for the different shops pages (they remain "N/A".) Any ideas?

I missed this while I was gone on vacation, so sorry for the tardiness in responding. I'm not very knowledgable about Mac Excel, but it's possible that the problem lies in how it looks up data from other sheets. In an effort to get the drop-down box working for selecting your ocean, I had to use a rather unconventional command. You can try changing the command in the tax value column to

=VLOOKUP(G14,ocean!$A$1:$B$200,2,0)

where "ocean" is your ocean of choice. If that fixes the problem, you may have to update all the cells with that and ignore the drop-down box. If you play on multiple oceans, keep 2 copies of the tool as a work-around. To see the tax column, you'll have to turn off sheet protection (no password) and then show column H.

If anyone else has Mac Excel and can fix this problem, it'd be much appreciated. :)
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[Jul 17, 2005 12:34:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
washort

Help me understand why tax value is used for unfinished goods in the net worth calculation. What does "tax value" represent, anyway?

I guess a related question is what "net worth" means. :) I have been tracking total expenditures/revenue for my stall -- I want to know how much I'm making and when it's become self-sufficient (i.e., paid off the initial stall fee). When I'm low on finished goods and full of product, the net worth calculator says it's worth a lot more than after I sell it all and buy more materials. Is this what's supposed to happen?

Perhaps I want a different "liquidation value" calculation, based on what other people are paying for the goods I've got at the moment.
Ash, Sage
[Jul 18, 2005 11:45:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

washort wrote: 
Help me understand why tax value is used for unfinished goods in the net worth calculation. What does "tax value" represent, anyway?

Tax value represents the average ocean-wide price for commods. I picked tax value because it's the only easy way to make the estimate. I could probably add a feature that would calculate the net-worth based on tax value OR buy price... I'll think on that some...

washort wrote: 
I guess a related question is what "net worth" means. :) I have been tracking total expenditures/revenue for my stall -- I want to know how much I'm making and when it's become self-sufficient (i.e., paid off the initial stall fee). When I'm low on finished goods and full of product, the net worth calculator says it's worth a lot more than after I sell it all and buy more materials. Is this what's supposed to happen?

Until we have a way to download detailed shop records, it's going to be hard to make an automated feature for tracking overall stall expenditures/income. I track that information myself in a different spreadsheet just for finances. As a rule of thumb, however, you can use net worth to figure out if you are making a profit by taking readings on a regular (I use monthly for our shop) basis. If net worth is heading north, you're probably making poe. You can get more detailed and check the Tax Tracker for inflation and adjust your net worth accordingly.

washort wrote: 
Perhaps I want a different "liquidation value" calculation, based on what other people are paying for the goods I've got at the moment.

Again, there's no easy way to make this happen, but I'd love to hear any ideas you have on how to make it work without having to manually add in tons of data every time you want to get a reading.
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[Jul 20, 2005 4:27:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peghead
Developer

bel_pirates wrote: 

I've updated the tool with the furnisher shop in there.

I just wanted to add that the furnisher recipes are NOT finalized, you may want to wait until we actually push this to production before editing the recipes any more.
[Jul 20, 2005 8:00:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

Peghead wrote: 
bel_pirates wrote: 

I've updated the tool with the furnisher shop in there.

I just wanted to add that the furnisher recipes are NOT finalized, you may want to wait until we actually push this to production before editing the recipes any more.

Yea, this happened with Mugs a bit also I think.. It's just easier for me to get it all in there and then adjust the recipes once you finalize them. I suppose I should have made the "recipes subject to change" disclaimer before posting the update, but o'ell.
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[Jul 20, 2005 9:41:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drewdknows

A (perhaps) new feature request Reply to this Post

Love the tool, and kudos to all parties involved in its creation.

I was wondering, since you are already calculating the relative use of the shop based on labor used, I wonder if others would find it useful to calculate the size (mass and volume) usage of the shop space as well. I'm sure the relative size/weight of all items is listed somewhere already, thus making a lookup source for each shops inventory.

An addition of a feature like this might help new or inexperienced shopkeepers in choosing the right size stall for the amount of materials the plan to keep on hand. Every time I think about how much of my storage space is wasted on wood, I die a little inside...

Thanks for your time, and keep up the great work!

Drewbeard
Uncertain
Midnight
[Jul 20, 2005 5:26:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
washort

So tax value is an average of actual prices? That's... odd. Who's selling all that hemp and cane at 0, then?
Ash, Sage
[Jul 22, 2005 3:40:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

washort wrote: 
So tax value is an average of actual prices? That's... odd. Who's selling all that hemp and cane at 0, then?

It's derived from actual prices. Tax values are 10% of the average sale price ocean-wide for each item.
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[Jul 22, 2005 7:58:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
washort

Ah, that does fit what I've seen better. So why doesn't the spreadsheet multiply the tax value by 10 for commodity valuation, then?
Ash, Sage
[Jul 25, 2005 11:33:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

washort wrote: 
Ah, that does fit what I've seen better. So why doesn't the spreadsheet multiply the tax value by 10 for commodity valuation, then?

It does. It multiplies your quantity * the tax value * 10 and returns that number in the net worth box.
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[Jul 26, 2005 1:25:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
washort

Oh, of course it does. Sorry, I'm blind. ;-)
Ash, Sage
[Jul 26, 2005 2:52:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chewyshoe

Would it be possible to add in real hour profit per hour? My guess is it'd be easiest to turn all labour into basic and work it out like that. Because the current % doesn't really do it for me.
Funny exam answers | Free online contests
[Jul 26, 2005 8:18:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bel_pirates

chewyshoe wrote: 
Would it be possible to add in real hour profit per hour? My guess is it'd be easiest to turn all labour into basic and work it out like that. Because the current % doesn't really do it for me.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, but it may be doing it like that already...

Currently, the tool adds up the total hours of labor used and divides by the total max throughput for the shop. In essence, all labor is treated as simply 1 unit of labor, so whether you enter 100/50/25 for basic/skilled/expert or 50/25/100, the grand total of labor hours used is still 175.

An example:
You run a small distil with a rent of 1,000/week.
You are using 100 hours of labor/day or 700/week.
Your max throughput for the week is 840 hours of labor.
You are currently using 83.33% of your max labor (700/840)
At 100% of labor used (840 hours/week) your rent can be said to be 1.19/labor unit (1000/840).
However, your actual labor usage is only 700 so the rent/labor cost is 1.48/unit (1000/700).
Now, if you are producing 100 units of fine rum (10 orders), you'll need to allocate 20/20/20 in labor or 60 units total. This means, at the 700/week labor usage rate, your cost for that labor is 1.48 (rent/labor unit) * 60 units of labor = 88.8 poe. So the tool will add in 88.8 poe to the cost column to reflect rent in your costs.

So these costs have nothing to do with how much you are charging for each level of labor, it's simply a straight calculation for how much rent you are paying per labor hour you're actually using. Labor type plays no role in this. The tool takes Basic/Skilled/Expert numbers so I can add other features in the future where it may be beneficial to know the exact numbers and because the game divides them out as such in the daily labor report.
Belgarion
Retired (for now)
The Shop Tool
[Jul 26, 2005 11:17:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chewyshoe

Ah, I see now. I didn't realise it did that. Very nifty indeed. Thanks for that bel.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ottovb

bel_pirates wrote: 
I'm not very knowledgable about Mac Excel, but it's possible that the problem lies in how it looks up data from other sheets. In an effort to get the drop-down box working for selecting your ocean, I had to use a rather unconventional command. You can try changing the command in the tax value column to

=VLOOKUP(G14,ocean!$A$1:$B$200,2,0)

where "ocean" is your ocean of choice. If that fixes the problem, you may have to update all the cells with that and ignore the drop-down box. If you play on multiple oceans, keep 2 copies of the tool as a work-around. To see the tax column, you'll have to turn off sheet protection (no password) and then show column H.

Thanks very much for your response.

When I try changing the entries in the Tax Value column as suggested (replacing "ocean" with "viridian," the only ocean I use) it displays a "1.1" for each cell that I change. And the "Tax" and "Advertised Price" columns stubbornly remain "N/A." (As well as those for dockside sales.)

While doing it though I noticed that cells in the H column that I hadn't changed apparently were displaying the correct tax information! Does this make any difference to your diagnostics?
[Jul 31, 2005 1:56:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chewyshoe

Ah bel, what I am really looking for is something which will tell me what my best product is in regards to labour hours. For example if I am making 10k profit on a war brig and it takes me 10 hours that would have a value of 1k/hour if I was making a sloop and I was making 6k and it took me three hours it'd be 2k/hour.
[Jul 31, 2005 6:53:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 88   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates