• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 44
Posts: 44   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6969 times and has 43 replies Next Thread
Rafikara

I would like to see better graphics Reply to this Post

Ahoy

I like puzzle pirates but I want better graphics.
We should talk about this.

I couldn't figure out how to start a poll.

Fair winds!

Edit, translation, and de-capitialization by: Nemesis, preventing headaches since 1972.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nemesis at Dec 16, 2005 3:22:57 PM]
[May 16, 2005 5:24:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GageKronos

Re: BETTER GRAPHICS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Reply to this Post

You might try posting without the caps lock key on if you want people to actually take you seriously. And asking people to spam topics to get better artwork is just foolish.

In addition, if you haven't noticed the game isn't intended to be graphics heavy. They're fine the way they are.
~Gage
Pirate of A Crew of Our Own (Viridian)

A+ C P- LB-| GD+ !D Cp+ Bl+>++ Sa++ Gu++ SF+ N+ Bn>++ Dr+>++ R+ Al++ Sh B-(--) F++ Cl(++) Sp++ SpN+(++)/+
[May 16, 2005 5:26:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

[size=7][sarcasm] I'm all for better graphics. Let's make absolutely certain that those dial-up users cannot use Y!PP. Let us admire the digital nosehair techniques and the 24-bit accuracy on the eyes.

And let you see the shine on my saber just before I hurt you with it.

[/sarcasm]

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[May 16, 2005 5:29:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

We could also make sure those of us (like me) with crappy old video cards only get 0.5 fps, so that sword strikes will kill us before we notice! That'll be tons o fun!
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[May 16, 2005 7:24:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

and when the cannons fire, instead of just lagging, the entire gane could crash!!! What a brilliant idea!!! This should definately go to GD so Nemo can have a heart attack*

<My sarcasmator blows up due to overload>

*[size=7]I do not want that to happen.
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

Danet - An old salt of Y!PP, but not the oldest by a long shot.
[May 16, 2005 8:03:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Siggy

I do not endorse this product/service.
Sig

Owner: Sig Supply Network

What happens when you beat whiny sword fighters with overpowered trash swords...

Imcolorblind auto-responds, "sig hacks sf :) try and see".

[May 16, 2005 8:25:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JPINFV [Link]  Go to top 
DragonRage

Rafikara wrote: 
AHOY

I LIKE PUZZLE PIRATES BUT I WANT BETTER GRAPHICS!!!!
LET`S DO MORE TOPICS TO THIS WORK

PLEASE HELP ME

BYE

*brings back the old MSN Gaming Zone mod-macros*

Please do not type in all caps. If your caps lock key is stuck, hold the shift key as you type.
Like, up in Canada, it's cold as a bastard! Out in Seattle, it rains like bastard! Down in Texas, it's muggy as a bastard!
[May 16, 2005 8:46:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Preacher+of+Pie [Link]  Go to top 
Triumvirete

Not to mention some of us enjoy the current graphics...
--Aelesaia
[May 16, 2005 9:12:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    aelesaia [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

I love the graphics, they're great.
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya
[May 16, 2005 6:55:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dtsazza

Aye... They remind me of Lego, all smiley and happy. And 3D versions of the (Lego Racers) just look wrong.

I support everything above, up to (but excluding) the initial post.
Dtsazza
Fleet Officer, The Devil's Own
Viridian
[May 16, 2005 7:02:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mad_Ben

I actually mentioned this in Game Design and practically got flamed!

I like the graphics, the scenery especially, but I do think they could be a little better. Some scenery animations shouldn't be too difficult and would add to the game immensely, withouth increaing bandwidth.

How about some tree branches waving in the breeze and some waves rolling on the ocean?

Sorry but if the developers say that is too tough, then I think that it's an unneccesary limitation of the Narya software!

/me shrugs

And 3D versions of the (Lego Racers) just look wrong.

Haven't ye seen the 3D Lego Starwars computer game? It looks awesome!
~ Cpt. Largo of Meridian
Super Scuppers
[May 17, 2005 12:01:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ottoia

Mad_Ben wrote: 
How about some tree branches waving in the breeze and some waves rolling on the ocean?

Sorry but if the developers say that is too tough, then I think that it's an unneccesary limitation of the Narya software!

I don't know if it's too tough or not, but I find it completely unnecessary when they can work on things with actual functions instead. I can watch trees wave by looking out the window.
Ottoia (Midnight)
[May 17, 2005 12:23:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.cinder.nu    21080049 [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

People already complain about the battle navigation animations (grapples and cannon shots) lagging them. They want them to be toggleable:
http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=15551

Don't forget the large crowds of pirates and chat circle size changes causing the game client to run slowly.

Faulkston,
animated discussions?
[May 17, 2005 12:54:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Mad_Ben

Well like I said, I can't see why animations would cause lag. Applications like Shockwave and Flash feature very rich media in multi-user environments with no lag at all (with regards to animation) - thus I see it as a limitation of the Narya software.

Don't get me wrong - I still think Y!PP is an awesome achievement and has a lot of great features etc.

ottoia wrote: 

I can watch trees wave by looking out the window.

Yeah and I could buy a ship in real life and be a real pirate! But that's not the point is it! It's a game and making it as immersive as possible would only increase the enjomyent it provides :)
~ Cpt. Largo of Meridian
Super Scuppers
[May 17, 2005 1:30:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

I think the limitation might be in the Sun Java graphics libraries having a lot of method call overhead.

I'm not sure about this but I think that Flash is a little less modular to program in than Java.

Faulkston,
ever seen a Java stack trace dump?
[May 17, 2005 1:39:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Mad_Ben

I'm not sure - I'm a bit of a pro in Flash and I learnt Java as part of my degree course.

Java IS a much more advanced language than Flash's Actionscript.
~ Cpt. Largo of Meridian
Super Scuppers
[May 17, 2005 1:53:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

Why don't we just ask them to rebuild the entire game from the ground up on a new platform that we can't download for free, isn't easily installed on all OS platforms, and takes up a full 640mb worth of a CD...but it would have trees blowing in the wind!
[/sarcasm]

Ugh. The graphics are great, leave Nemo alone so he can get back to Baby Nemo. :)
Epimetheus
Retired

[May 17, 2005 1:56:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

C++ method calls can be slow without careful class hierarchy design.

Faulkston,
again with the overhead
[May 17, 2005 2:00:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

As soon as you progress past basic graphics, the Java platform falls apart with platform portability.

The last time I looked (which I admit was some time ago), Java did NOT support hard-core 3D and the other types of animation functionality that people are suggesting here.

And seriously--if expanding a chat circle or firing a cannon causes clients to come to a grinding stop, what the heck do you think would happen if you walked into a forest full of waving trees? It'd be log off or be stuck in the forest foreveeerrrrrr! :-)

Adding fancy graphics is a never-ending battle, because you can always make things "look better." But as you do, the system requirements skyrocket, and you leave a lot of your subscriber base (remember, lots of players are kids who don't necessarily have Alienware machines) out to dry.
[size=9]
I can see it now:
YPP 3.0 System Requirements:
Dual core Intel P4, 3.4+ Ghz
2GB RAM
1GB HDD space
Geforce 6800GT / Radeon X800 / Fire GL X1 w/256MB minimum video RAM
Monitor capable of 2048 x 1536 @ 80 Hz or better (YPP runs at only at 2048 x 1536 @ 32 bits per pixel)
Internet connection: Fibre to the home (50Mbps or higher)

I like it as it is :-) I can play it anywhere, without worrying about if a computer might be too slow. I can download it in a few minutes, in most cases. And I can play it on any computer that Java has a client for. Woot!
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[May 17, 2005 2:06:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

emerson wrote: 
[size=9]
I can see it now:
YPP 3.0 System Requirements:
Dual core Intel P4, 3.4+ Ghz
2GB RAM
1GB HDD space
Geforce 6800GT / Radeon X800 / Fire GL X1 w/256MB minimum video RAM
Monitor capable of 2048 x 1536 @ 80 Hz or better (YPP runs at only at 2048 x 1536 @ 32 bits per pixel)
Internet connection: Fibre to the home (50Mbps or higher)

LMAO. No, what you're looking for is World of Warcraft.
Epimetheus
Retired

[May 17, 2005 2:20:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mad_Ben

I really don't see how an animated gif (we're not talking about 3D) could be that hard to display. You don't need a powerful computer!

I'm not sure about Java graphics but what I had to do in my degree module was create a Photoshop style application. You opened a bitmap and then could apply different image processing effects on it - such as colour filters etc. It all worked pretty fast.
~ Cpt. Largo of Meridian
Super Scuppers
[May 17, 2005 2:40:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

The system just isn't built to do that - objects that are part of the scene background are staticly rendered as tiles, and sprites are the pirates which move on top of the background. To add the ability to animate elements of the isometric background would require a lot of recoding.
[May 17, 2005 2:48:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Julephenia

Speaking as someone who loathes cannons in SB (though I'm getting a new computer), part of the charm of this game is it's lego/cartooney like graphics.

I like it the way it is, thanks. If I wanted something 'realistic', I'd go outside. Or buy WoW.

Why are we bumping this thread when the OP hasn't even come back, let alone brought up something that has been answered before?
Oz is REAL, DAMMIT.
[May 17, 2005 3:56:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Mad_Ben wrote: 
I really don't see how an animated gif (we're not talking about 3D) could be that hard to display. You don't need a powerful computer!

You'd think so, but then why does cannon-firing cause puzzles to grind to a stop for a moment?

Maybe you have a fast enough machine where that's not noticible, but my P3-650 with 640MB RAM, G400 video card, DEFINITELY notices. I generally have to stop puzzling at the end of a combat turn if there's going to be any shooting.

But let's say you're not talking 3D, let's say they do manage to figure out how to keep trees blowing in the wind. What will be next? Hair? Clothes? Ships' sails? How come we can't see the sails on the ships, anyway? Where's the smoke from the gunfire in bnav? Surely, none of this is that CPU intensive...

But when you add it all together, along with the coding, it could be major bloatware. And besides... There's still 3 shop puzzles missing! Let's get the rest of the game content in before messing with pretty things! :)

[Edit: Oh! If you want much cooler graphics, check out Sid Meier's Pirates!. The gameplay isn't as addictive as YPP, but it's definitely pretty :-)]
[May 17, 2005 5:01:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Naughtylass

The only suggestion I have for improving of the graphics is to make the male pirate characters better-looking. Right now the male pirates in the game just aren?t handsome enough!

Then again maybe pirates aren?t supposed to be good-looking. Rrr.

[May 17, 2005 5:20:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

Lizthegrey wrote: 
The system just isn't built to do that - objects that are part of the scene background are staticly rendered as tiles, and sprites are the pirates which move on top of the background. To add the ability to animate elements of the isometric background would require a lot of recoding.

heheh. Ben, if you want some examples of this, just download the Island Editor and play around. All things in there are tiled, like Liz said.
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[May 17, 2005 5:35:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Animated GIFs aren't animated automatically (or for "free"). Yer browser or other image viewer has to keep displaying the next animation frame after frame. It is going to take a little processing power to do so, although not very much.

Faulkston,
TANSTAAFL
[May 17, 2005 6:54:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Also, each frame has to be downloaded. Anything sprite animated is much more expensive than something static. Having to download the whole game is one more reason we try to keep it small.
[May 17, 2005 7:51:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ZSA004

Mad_Ben wrote: 
Narya software

What is this software, I've never heard this term used. Is it something Java uses nowadays?

Ya take 1 semester off from Engineering and all the programs change!
Iskra says, "You're the sweetest pirate I've seen in the the whole ocean"
[May 17, 2005 9:23:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    ZSA004 [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

http://www.threerings.net/code/narya
http://www.gamegardens.com

Narya is the open-source LGPL library written by Three Rings underlying Puzzle Pirates.
[May 17, 2005 9:36:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 44   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates