• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 201
Posts: 201   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 19112 times and has 200 replies Next Thread
Bia
OceanMaster

[Fin] Write the new Oceanmasters... Results on page 8. Reply to this Post

Edit: This contest is over. Thank you to everyone who submitted an entry. Results are posted here.

They have become visible around the Oceans three. But who are they really? How did they come to preside over the waves? What drives them to help guide the good ship Yohoho! with a firm and even hand.

The new Oceanmasters are a gathering of mates without a story. A few facts are known, but the rest is merely a legend. A legend that you must write. For if the salty lads and saucy lasses of the Oceans do not know the real tale, who possibly could?

The Premise:

Once upon a time the Great Captain Cleaver brought forth the Original Six. And for months upon months they stood watch against all that could damage the great Oceans.

But then, a tragedy. One of the Six, the Great Eris, was snatched from her comrades. The loss of a dear friend was a terrible blow, but far worse, the Original Oceanmasters could not keep up. They did not just have one Ocean to deal with, but three.

The Great Captain Cleaver needed reinforcements. He sought out not just one, but nine new Oceanmasters. For this was how many it took to replace the efforts of Eris.

The Rules:

1. Write a story that plays off of the premise and details the how and why of the appearance of the new Oceanmasters.

2. Your story may include any number of the new Oceanmasters, from one to nine.

3. You may go into as much or as little detail as you like about the fate of the lost Goddess, Eris.

4. Stories have a word limit of 2500 words.

5. Stories must be written in English. Also, while writing in a piratey dialect is okay as long as you are consistent, please check your grammar and spelling.

6. Writers may work in collaboration. Note that only one Grand Prize will be awarded. Choose only one name to put on an entry so the judges know who to award the familiar to.

7. Judging will be done by the new Oceanmasters. Spelling and grammar will count in the judging.

8. Post questions and commentary in this thread. Entries are to be posted to this thread.

9. The deadline for the contest is 11:59 PM, June 20th at Midnight, Pacific Time. At this point, the entry thread will be locked and judging will begin.

Prizes:

Grand Prize: A Monkey on the Ocean of your choice!

Other Prizes: To Be Determined
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Bia at May 9, 2005 6:24:23 PM]
[May 9, 2005 6:24:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chronology

Re: [Fin] Write the new Oceanmasters... Results on page 8. Reply to this Post

Wow, this contest sounds great.

Can we write it like poetry?
Viridian
Officer of Futon
Scuppering Seven Seas
Stalker of Scupperer
[May 9, 2005 7:26:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soar

YAAAARRRRRRR!!!!

Thank you for making a competition for story writing! I was begining to think it would be poetry and pictures all they way :D

50 days is a tough deadline for a great story, but I shall do my best.

Any chance on an increase in the max number of words? Average short story is 6-10k

And thank you also for making the prize a monkey, it's the exact thing I would have chosen had I the choice for myself.

/em begins work on the story of Oceanmasters.

Arbedar!

-Tailspin
[May 9, 2005 9:09:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nity

Is this done anonymously through PMing the story? Or does the write post the story themselves?

(i'm assuming the writer since it doesnt state otherwise, but wanted to clarify)
Tawnee says, "What freak would sig Shur?"
~Nity~
[May 10, 2005 2:54:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nitymuds    seekingcerenity [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest
Re: [CONTEST] Write the new Oceanmasters... Win a Monkey! Reply to this Post

Bia wrote: 
8. Post questions and commentary in this thread. Entries are to be posted to this thread.

;)
[May 10, 2005 4:09:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Nity

Re: [CONTEST] Write the new Oceanmasters... Win a Monkey! Reply to this Post

xephin wrote: 
Bia wrote: 

;)

I saw that =P But even with the other event for stories, they were submitted to an OM who posted them in a separate thread which was locked. I just wanted to clarify was all.
~Nity~
[May 10, 2005 4:48:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nitymuds    seekingcerenity [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Bia in the entries thread wrote: 
This thread is for entries for the writing contest only. All other posts will be removed. On June 20, at 11:59 PM, Pacific Time, the thread will be locked and no further entries will be accepted.

Sounds like we're posting them ourselves ;)
[May 10, 2005 4:54:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

chronology wrote: 
Can we write it like poetry?

Prose is preferred for the story. Poetry will have a different contest. However, be creative. If your story involves poetry, I would expect it to integrate it well.

Soar wrote: 
Any chance on an increase in the max number of words? Average short story is 6-10k

I believe 2500 words is sufficient to write a decent story.

Also, please keep in mind that so long as you keep with the rules, you may write any story you choose. How the characters act is entirely up to you. You do not need to ask us what our characters are like. Indeed, you are to tell us what our characters are like.

Be creative.
[May 10, 2005 3:04:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kira156

Oceanmasters comp Reply to this Post

K.... can someone past the names of all the Oceansmasters?? Or are we to make the name up ourselves... hmmmm... first time I thought about entering a comp...

ty
[May 10, 2005 7:19:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

My apologies. I included this information in the other contest, but neglected to do so in this one.

The new Oceanmasters are Amphitrite, Bia, Clio, Dionysus, Eurydice, Hypnos, Lelantos, Nemesis, and Prometheus.

The elder Oceanmasters are Artemis, Demeter, Hermes, Mnemosyne, and Poseidon. Eris was also one of the elder Oceanmasters.
[May 10, 2005 7:34:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

I would like to humbly request anonymous submission. It might be pretty easy for OMs, as mods, to figure out which entry belongs to which person anyway, but if, say, Arty posted the entries from PMs it'd still be pretty anonymous. I've been very happy with the signal to noise ratio after implementing anonymous submissions, and quite frankly I don't want people (OMs or otherwise) talking about how Madam already has a familiar instead of just reading my entry and judging it on its merits alone. (Yes, I'm dreadfully vain. What else is new?)

We've already started the contest, though, so I'm fine with what we have right now.
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[May 10, 2005 11:29:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Triumvirete

About how much fidelity would you like to actual mythology? vs. Y!PP legend...or is it entirely up to us? :P
--Aelesaia
[May 11, 2005 12:42:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    aelesaia [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

May I suggest that grammar is not graded on a significant scale? The reason is that there are so many exceptions and foreign differences and misconceptions and other stuff that could easily be considered wrong by one and right by another. I can understand a story in l33t speak, no commas, no capitalization, etc., to lose points. However, I'd rather not have someone lose due to their knowing a rule that a judge doesn't - things such as the differences of objective and nominative case, semicolons, parentheticals, and other goodies that people generally won't know. Hell, I have plenty of "errors" in my posts that are seen as "correct" and visa versa. Then again, it's all an eclectic way of deciphering what's wrong and/or right.
"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."- Friedrich Hayek
[May 11, 2005 12:58:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nity

Thusnelda wrote: 
I would like to humbly request anonymous submission. It might be pretty easy for OMs, as mods, to figure out which entry belongs to which person anyway, but if, say, Arty posted the entries from PMs it'd still be pretty anonymous. I've been very happy with the signal to noise ratio after implementing anonymous submissions, and quite frankly I don't want people (OMs or otherwise) talking about how Madam already has a familiar instead of just reading my entry and judging it on its merits alone. (Yes, I'm dreadfully vain. What else is new?)

We've already started the contest, though, so I'm fine with what we have right now.

I agree, i'd have loved for this to be anonymous as well. I know the judges are supposed to be impartial, however we are all human =)
~Nity~
[May 11, 2005 2:34:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nitymuds    seekingcerenity [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

How many entries per person?
[May 11, 2005 4:29:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nity

Win a monkey?..... Did I read this wrong the whole time or did it not say Octopus at first?
~Nity~
[May 11, 2005 4:35:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nitymuds    seekingcerenity [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

Nity wrote: 
Win a monkey?..... Did I read this wrong the whole time or did it not say Octopus at first?

*cough* Go with it *cough*
Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[May 11, 2005 4:38:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
Nity

Rmarsbar wrote: 
Nity wrote: 

*cough* Go with it *cough*

I just want to make sure I'm not delusional and seeing things in my old age!
~Nity~
[May 11, 2005 4:52:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nitymuds    seekingcerenity [Link]  Go to top 
Drusilla

When I first saw it I wished it had said octopus, but I'm pretty certain it's been Monkey the whole time.
Avast! Jesus were a leopard.
[May 11, 2005 5:03:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    drusilla_ypp    raspberryjamdeg [Link]  Go to top 
kalimont

Bia wrote: 
My apologies. I included this information in the other contest, but neglected to do so in this one.

The new Oceanmasters are Amphitrite, Bia, Clio, Dionysus, Eurydice, Hypnos, Lelantos, Nemesis, and Prometheus.

The elder Oceanmasters are Artemis, Demeter, Hermes, Mnemosyne, and Poseidon. Eris was also one of the elder Oceanmasters.

I would like to ask a few questions.

1. Can you please list the genders of each of these Ocean Masters? Most of them we know, but some we do not. Ye can not tell the sex of an OM by their name all the time.

2. Is there a story or thread that describes what did happen to Eris? That would help in my creating a story. If there isn't one, its much easier, but I'd rather know for sure.

Thank you!
Flathead Lake Monster - Montana's Kraken
Where are those scuppering skellies?
[May 11, 2005 1:32:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sunshineshoes    sf59queen [Link]  Go to top 
Drusilla

1. A post Dionysus made in another thread might help:
Dionysus wrote: 
For reference:

But for reference:
Male: Dionysus, Hypnos, Lelantos, Prometheus, Hermes, and Poseidon.
Female: Amphitrite, Bia, Clio, Eurydice, Nemesis, Artemis, Demeter, Mnemosyne, and Eris.

2.Here is Eris's retirement thread.
[May 11, 2005 1:51:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    drusilla_ypp    raspberryjamdeg [Link]  Go to top 
kalimont

Drusilla wrote: 

Here is Eris's retirement thread.

So that is all that is basically known of Eris' leaving? No story written? So basically we make up anything that might of happened to Eris right?
[May 11, 2005 2:28:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sunshineshoes    sf59queen [Link]  Go to top 
Drusilla

Subject to official word - mine certainly isn't official - that's the way I understood it.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    drusilla_ypp    raspberryjamdeg [Link]  Go to top 
kalimont

Drusilla wrote: 
Subject to official word - mine certainly isn't official - that's the way I understood it.

I'm not sure what you mean by that?
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sunshineshoes    sf59queen [Link]  Go to top 
Drusilla

Sorry, I'm a bit tired. :) I meant that I agree with what you said, but that Bia, the contest's organizer, really has the final say. If you are very concerned about this, it might be best to wait for an answer from her.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    drusilla_ypp    raspberryjamdeg [Link]  Go to top 
kalimont

Drusilla wrote: 
Sorry, I'm a bit tired. :) I meant that I agree with what you said, but that Bia, the contest's organizer, really has the final say. If you are very concerned about this, it might be best to wait for an answer from her.

Thanks for clarifying that, I was a bit confused. Yes its a bit late here as well.

I will wait to hear from Bia.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sunshineshoes    sf59queen [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

Thusnelda wrote: 
I would like to humbly request anonymous submission.

I determined that this was unnecessary. If we went with an anonymous posting system, all entries would have to be e-mailed or private messaged to me. Since I and the other Oceanmasters are acting as judges, any anonymity would be wasted, and the entire system would be slower and involve more work. In many situations, it is a good and valid system, but in this case, it is not needed. We will do our best to judge impartially.

Triumvirete wrote: 
About how much fidelity would you like to actual mythology? vs. Y!PP legend...or is it entirely up to us?

It is entirely up to you.

Smackey wrote: 
May I suggest that grammar is not graded on a significant scale?

We will not nitpick the stories on spelling and grammar. However, I would suggest that people do their best effort to put together their best stories, which includes spelling and grammar. Consider, if you will, a submission for a creative writing assignment. You will hopefully do your best to have everything correct, but mistakes can and will slip by. I do note that even published material from famous authors has been known to contain errors.

Whitefire wrote: 
How many entries per person?

It is not limited. However, as I have said, I hope people put their best efforts forward. If you are able to put together multiple exemplary entries, we shall not stop you.

kalimont wrote: 
So basically we make up anything that might of happened to Eris right?

Yes. Beyond the listed premise, everything that happens in your story is up to you. There are no official constraints with regards to events, characterizations, legends, or anything.

Please, be creative and have fun.

I am excited to read all the stories about us.
[May 11, 2005 7:41:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rmarsbar

Does it matter if it's written in English or American English? (Colour/color)
Rmarzbarr, a Superlemon!
[May 13, 2005 10:50:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Marziepants    Marziepants1    334439659 [Link]  Go to top 
VPeric

And, if not, does it matter if we mix both? (since that is kinda how I learned to write, bit of this and bit of that)
Wlada, Former King of Bloody Hell and former Captain of Sudden Death, Cobalt.
Vlada, Officer of the Rudder Royals, Azure.
[May 14, 2005 1:08:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
zimpact

I have two questions;

when we enter should we write the name of the pirate that we would want the familiar to go to like some other events have stated??

are the actual words going to be counted or should we just use the limit as a guide. i.e if we write 2550 words are we going to be disqualified, or is it just so that you don't get 20 page stories to sift though??
Mutton
SO Tears of Vengeance, Midnight
---------
Tak: All they see is another faceless corporate venture, not a plan for world conquest.

Dib: Wait, is there really a difference?
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 201   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates