• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 136
Posts: 136   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 22938 times and has 135 replies Next Thread
Clotho
OceanMaster

Limited Edition Portrait Background - Celtic / Luck / St Patrick's Edition! - [Winners announced!] Reply to this Post

Ahoy mates! It's portrait background time again!
Winners!

Theme:

We're combining three themes this month. The first is a Celtic theme - encompassing generic Celtic themes. The second is about Luck - luck, lucky talismans, sights, charms, omens. The third is anything relating to St Patrick's celebrations. You certainly don't need to stick to an Irish theme, use anything that you might think of that could be associated with Pirate Luck!

Submissions:
Entrants will create original backgrounds that are consistent with the theme and style of the game. The image must look sensible with characters placed on it in any of the orientations possible for its size.
Entries must fit the appropriate scale.

1-pirate backgrounds: 348 x 650
2-pirate backgrounds: 696 x 650
Large backgrounds: 1600 x 1170
Expansive backgrounds: 2000 x 1275

Reworking entries:
To update an entry, please upload the latest version with the same file name as the previous version of the entry. If you want an alternative version rather than a replacement, multiple entries per artist are also acceptable. You can enter multiple times for any theme.

Only original art is accepted. You must create the images yourself.
Plagiarized entries, photographs, and other unsuitable entries may be removed from the entry page without notice.
You may use reference materials for your work, but if you base your work substantially on a reference, please acknowledge it in your forum post. You do not need to acknowledge any game art used as reference material.

Upload your images to the YPPedia, name the file according to the naming scheme listed there, and also post links to the thumbnails here in this thread, for comment. If you want your pirate name to appear rather than your account name should you win, please follow the image tag scheme below carefully.

Note: updated instructions for destination filename
The arrrtists have requested a change to the naming of files uploaded to YPPedia for this contest. This naming scheme is not the same as the general YPPedia file upload scheme, but I have warned the YPPedia admins, and we're hoping the name scheme is distinctive enough that it won't cause undue confusion. I believe it also means that the images will no longer be sorted by the alphabetical categories. Note that, at least for now, this is in addition to the requirements for the image tags. Here is the format they want for the filename on YPPedia:

monthly_nameyouwanttoappearingame_title.png

All in lower case (but YPPedia will change the first m into M - don't worry about this). So, if I want my portrait background to appear as Clotho's New Year, I would use:
monthly_clotho_newyear.png

Note: updated instructions for tags in summary field
The tag for this contest is "feb12contest" so that we know which entries to consider when judging starts. The summary field for the upload, then, should be:
{{contesttag|accountname|creditname|portraittitle}}
where
"contesttag" is replaced by this month's tag shown below, "accountname" is replaced by your own forum name
"creditname" is replaced by either your forum name again, or your pirate name, whichever you want credited with the background
"portraittitle" is replaced by your suggested title for the portrait background (no spaces)

e.g. {{feb12contest|Clotho|Spinner|Celtic}}
or {{feb12contest|Cassopia|Whitenose|St. Patrick's}}

If the name to credit the portrait with is the same as the account name, it would go in twice.
e.g. {{feb12contest|Clotho|Clotho|Luck}}

Judging:
Quality of work, style, how well the background fits with the game's theme, and how well the placement of the portrait characters fit into the background are the primary determining factors.

The entries will be judged in the Three Rings offices by the arrrtists and the winner will be put into future releases as a Limited Edition portrait background. The portrait background may also be re-used for limited times later, and even (if appropriate) adopted as a longer-term or permanent portrait background, rather than a limited duration one. The same winning artist may be chosen more than once for different entries. Entrants may be asked by the arrrtists to make small changes to their designs after the judging.

Submitted works are eligible for winning future contests. Artists who entered backgrounds in a previous contest: if they are eligible for the current contest, please enter them again! We would love to reconsider them. Likewise, if a background does not win, it can be submitted for future contests, as long as it fits within the theme of each contest.

Prizes:
A winning entry will be included in the in-game list of available portrait backgrounds, usually for a limited duration. Anyone in the game can use it when it is available.
Each winning entrant will also receive a Puzzle Pirates real-life item and a pack of playing cards in the mail, a free copy of his/her portrait in-game, choice of Fishheadred or Greenbones egg or doll, and a clothing item of her choice in the color(s) of her choice. The clothing item can be any item that can be ordered from a tailoring shoppe without needing a design or reputation.
In the event of the same artist winning multiple prizes or multiple months, an additional clothing item can be substituted for the real-life prizes if the artist does not feel like having a household full of Puzzle Pirates Paraphernalia.

Deadline:
February 15th 2012, 11:59pm game time

Suggestions:
-- Make it look like it came right out of the game.
--Get your line weights down, and compare with existing portraits to be sure.
--Keep your lighting consistent with the lighting on the pirate portrait art.
--Choose a scene that many in the game would like to use.
--Take your time and rework, going to others for advice and critique.
--A very small signature in the lower right corner is acceptable.
--In general avoid words - if you do use them, use them minimally, and only when they are not central to the understanding of the portrait.
--Pay close attention to your composition - the composition of backgrounds related to pirate placement is a major consideration and sometimes otherwise good backgrounds are eliminated because the nicest elements are blocked by the pirates once they are in frame.

Other suggestions and links:
Questions, discussion, entries and feedback can all be posted here. Good luck!

Para leer este concurso en español, haz clic aquí.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Clotho at Feb 19, 2012 5:39:25 PM]
[Jan 16, 2012 9:40:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xeitgeist

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Celtic / Luck / St Patrick's Edition! - [Deadline:February 15th] Reply to this Post

Googled celtic and found a ton of stained glass stoof so Imma run wif it.

xeitgeist of emrald oshun iz tired
I have a webcomic!
[Jan 16, 2012 8:56:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.instagram.com/abslula/ [Link]  Go to top 
Marisopel

Re: Limited Edition Portrait Background - Celtic / Luck / St Patrick's Edition! - [Deadline:February 15th] Reply to this Post

I Googled Celtic and got a bunch of basketball players. I'm sticking with luck.
Montmorency on Viridian.

Chibis for Poker Chips [Avatars&Art]
--
Reserve the right to withdraw.
[Jan 16, 2012 9:17:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Lol!
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Jan 17, 2012 12:23:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Xeitgeist

LOL indeed! I was thinking about doing luck but the only concept I can think of is Gretchen Goldfang's butchering shop with poor rabbits waiting in cages for the sad fate of having their feet turned into trinkets. It's a bit grim.
I have a webcomic!
[Jan 17, 2012 12:22:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.instagram.com/abslula/ [Link]  Go to top 
Marisopel

LOL indeed! I was thinking about doing luck but the only concept I can think of is Gretchen Goldfang's butchering shop with poor rabbits waiting in cages for the sad fate of having their feet turned into trinkets. It's a bit grim.

No kidding. o_o
Montmorency on Viridian.

Chibis for Poker Chips [Avatars&Art]
--
Reserve the right to withdraw.
[Jan 17, 2012 1:38:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Sounds like something Nemesis would like... If the bunnies were pink
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Jan 17, 2012 3:25:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Clotho
OceanMaster

Basketball + bunnies *head spinning*
[Jan 17, 2012 7:05:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Hmm, starting to become a background addict. But the Celtic theme was too good to let pass.
So here is the concept. The uffington horse with the morning sun just popping out above the hill, a circle of stones on the right just catching the first rays of light.
Hope I can pull this off :)

I was going to put some galloping horses in as well because the Celts sure liked their horses, but I'm afraid that might get too cluttered.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Jan 18, 2012 2:18:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Experimenting with an idea I had with ropes for rigging/sailing...still very much a WIP and I am still very much figuring out how to draw these knots. xD
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Jan 18, 2012 3:26:43 PM]
[Jan 18, 2012 3:25:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Experimenting with an idea I had with ropes for rigging/sailing...still very much a WIP and I am still very much figuring out how to draw these knots. xD

Like the idea Cattrin. Here is a site with some techniques on designing celtic knots that I have used in the past. Perhaps it can help you figuring them out.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Jan 18, 2012 3:36:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Caridis

[/img]

Suerte Celta. u.u
Caridis en Jade y Viridian.
Avatar hecho por el increíble Charavie.
[Jan 18, 2012 5:41:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Phaerie2

I was going to rework last years attempt but ended up doing something completely different. Suggestions welcome :)

Phaerie: Obsidian and Cerulean Phaeirie: Emerald
[Jan 19, 2012 6:00:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Ok, second stage of the background.

Have to work on the lighting to make it look early morning light. And is looks a bit too empty to me. Not sure what to put in there though :( Any suggestions are welcome.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Jan 21, 2012 12:20:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

@Phaerie I love the design and the colors. I would make the background behind the pirates a bit darker though. A bit shady so that the pirates and the decorations stand out a bit more.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Jan 21, 2012 12:23:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

@ Inghild - I love this one! I think you've really captured it, and can't wait to see the final version! Other than shadows, don't know what you could add that wouldn't detract from the image.

@ Phaerie - I like the overall concept, it's very pretty, however, I'm not sure if it is supposed to be just a flat design - like a drawing on a wall - or an intricate archway. I see the shadows from the upper knotwork against the background, so I'm assuming that it is in front of the back "wall". Guess I'm just a bit confused by the lighting. Feel free to ignore me...it's late and my eyes are starting to close. :)

As for mine, I still have a lot of work to do, more cards to add, stuff on the wall, etc., but here's what I've been working on. It is my intention to make two versions of this - one for winners and one for losers - for good luck and bad luck. This is the start of the good luck version. :)

I'd appreciate your thoughts on my design so far, and any suggestions for wall stuff, etc. Thanks in advance!

Greylady, Meridian & Emerald, Greyladyy on Cerulean

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Jan 22, 2012 12:31:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RAWRfayelle

@ Inghild:: Generally when I think of an Irish landscape, I think of all the castle ruins they have o:
Or, you know... Sheep hehe
[Jan 22, 2012 1:44:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Thanks for the feedback :) I think i will add the light and shading first and then decide if the picture needs anything else.
I like the idea of adding some cattle to the picture, bulls and pigs seem to have been signs of good luck to the celts.

@CapnKkatz: Such a great idea to have a good luck and bad luck background.
For the good luck portrait I would add a horse shoe nailed to the wall or a picture of a chamrock. Perhaps even a rabbit's foot on the table. Queen of hearts also strikes me as good luck, don't know why really.
Bad luck, black cat on the table? A card 13 of spades :p, broken mirror on the wall, spilled salt on the table. Just first things that come to mind when I think about bad luck. Can't wait to see your finished versions.
Edit: just thought of another bad luck sighn. I think the raven is considered bad luck in Anglo saxon culture.
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Jan 22, 2012 5:58:39 AM]
[Jan 22, 2012 5:55:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slashwraith2

Haha Greylady I almost finished a poker table based portrait too but mine is a 2 person and looks different! I will have to make my next idea a little less obvious, didn't mean to make the same sort of thing :-O

@ Yngve6: More bushes and shrubbery perhaps? Could put some stray rock around the place.
Yx (Meridian)

Avatar by the lovely pancake, Yumisa
[Jan 22, 2012 7:13:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Well couldn't resist putting in some horses after all. Hope it's an improvement and not getting too cluttered.
Still working on the morning light and the horses.
Not sure about the colors I used in the sky. blue might work better. What do you guys think?

Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Jan 22, 2012 9:01:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
colavibes

Love the background, Inghild! Personally, I really like the new morning sky, I think it is unique and goes beautifully with the other colours. Also, I really like the little hut you added, that is so cute! My only feedback about it is that perhaps the megaliths are a little on the skinny side. If you made them wider, and perhaps even added a few eroded-looking lintels, it might just give the formation a little more presence. Although, they could just seem small because the image is scaled down here, so feel free to ignore! Really great work though, seriously!
-Cayenne of Emerald-
[Jan 23, 2012 2:10:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Thanks colavibes. Changed the position of the horses and the stone circle a bit. Stones closer by and the horses at the hut. Both aren't quite finished yet. Think you are right about the stones, the could be a bit more on the foreground. Perhaps also move the hut a bit more to the left.
Based my stone circle on the Callanish stone circle. Those stones are not as big as the stone henge ones
And added a slightly bigger picture;)

Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Yngve6 at Jan 23, 2012 3:40:40 PM]
[Jan 23, 2012 3:35:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Inghild, I really like this, however, I'm a bit bothered by the perspective. Seems to me the horses are way to large compared to the hut and the stone circle - or perhaps the stones are a bit small. Also, moving the stone circle forward has thrown the perspective off for me too - they seem too small now in comparison with the people. I liked it a better when the circle seemed to be in the distance. I agree with Colvibes that the monoliths could use a bit weight. I agree that the sky is lovely and does give that early morning vibe. Anyway, just my opinion - feel free to ignore any/all advice. :)

"In a courtroom, it is not the loudest voice that prevails...it's the Constitution." WA AG
[Jan 23, 2012 4:48:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xeitgeist

I'm kinda nodding me head at the folks chiming in on this one, Inghild. Your horses and the hut are neat but they're competing with the main elements that you've already put in: the horse on the mountain design and the rocks.

The Celtic horse design that has this strong organic flow is complemented by the rigid architectural design of the stones making both sides well balanced. The texture of the bush is distracting since things should lose texture as it goes back.

I would recommend that you make a separate background for the horses and the hut and lose the focus on the shrubbery. It's one of those instances where even if one thing is fantastically rendered, if it detracts from the overall strength of the composition, you might want to take it out. My main gripe about the horses is that they look really good and if they will just be shoved to the background, it kind of feels like a waste. :\

The sky is working better in this new composition since it evokes a mood of warmth and ties in with the warm browns and greens that you have on your land mass thus making it a more cohesive composition with a clearer intent. Anchoring your monoliths to the ground would also solidify it and if you want a sense of focus, you can put slight texture on the rocks so that it moves forward and everything else can move back in space.

Solid work mate. Keep it up!
I have a webcomic!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Xeitgeist at Jan 23, 2012 6:52:09 PM]
[Jan 23, 2012 6:48:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://www.instagram.com/abslula/ [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

I've made some more progress...does it still need more? Comments/feedback appreciated! :)

[Jan 23, 2012 9:36:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
slashwraith2

@greylady: Perhaps something in the top right? Could put a window or some sort of furniture item from the furnishers.

My Entry: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/File:Monthly_Yx_luckycards.png

Hoping to have time to do another but will pick a less obvious topic. Was gutted to see Greylady had chosen the same theme as me! Thankfully not the same size. Might try an expansive portrait but it's scary to work with all that space!
Yx (Meridian)

Avatar by the lovely pancake, Yumisa
[Edit 2 times, last edit by slashwraith2 at Jan 24, 2012 2:07:47 AM]
[Jan 24, 2012 2:00:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Well that was a lot to take in :)
Thank you all for your comment on my picture. I think I have got it now. Removed the horses, painting the stones and giving them a bit more volume. More shading and high lighting and I think I will be adding a path, to tie things together and fill the empty space.

Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Jan 25, 2012 12:24:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CapnKkatz

Inghild, love love love the changes you've made! I especially love the path - it's very natural looking, and really adds a great sense of depth. Pretty as the horses were, I really like the composition better without them.

I'm assuming/hoping that you're going to add detail to the grey monoliths - at least the large ones on the far right and left. Also, just a touch of detail to the closest part of the path to give it a bit of texture would be nice. :)

Can't wait to see it all finished! It's just beautiful!

[Jan 25, 2012 1:44:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saltysharpe

Nice entries so far guys :) I'm going to give the portrait competition this month. been looking for ages and not having any ideas. Have done some scribbles that I will scan tomorrow and colour in. Quite excited by this one
Meridian ftw

My Deviant Art Gallery
[Jan 25, 2012 3:11:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yngve6

Well this will be the final one I think. Shifted the stone circle a little and finished the path.
With the pirates (hope they don't look floating anymore)

And without

The actual entry
Inghild on Meridian
Yngve on Emerald
[Jan 28, 2012 6:13:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 136   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates