• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 926
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 147540 times and has 925 replies Next Thread
riku743

Re: United Oceans Discussion Reply to this Post

How can you get to say Hunter (formerly) islands if your Sage pirate has never been to one. I know that you could have Ovaryraptor-West/East invite you there but there has to be an easier way so you can start whisking to them when you need to.

Along with the merger patch, they're going to be releasing this new-fangled thing called a boat.
----------------------------------------
Nil used to play Mala.
Lurking on the forums.
[Dec 14, 2011 10:28:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

How can you get to say Hunter (formerly) islands if your Sage pirate has never been to one. I know that you could have Ovaryraptor-West/East invite you there but there has to be an easier way so you can start whisking to them when you need to.

Along with the merger patch, they're going to be releasing this new-fangled thing called a boat.

What's a boat?
Morbuzaan

I support PvP in sinking environments.

Cremate wrote: 
Cremate tells ye, "Anyway I have hockey to watch"

[Dec 14, 2011 10:48:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Silly. We'll do it the same way* we got the islands outside our home archipelago on our map in the first place.

Unless people** go run those all-ocean island-memorising events. Sounds like a good icebreaker =D

*sinking zombies.
**Not me-people. I'll be on holiday. Somebody otherpeople. I can probably be persuaded to leave a few strategically placed ships around what was Malachite though, if otherpeople does it.
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Dec 14, 2011 11:46:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reeves90

The flags Exposed on Hunter (which already has a branch on sage) will be running a whisking event which will span every island on both "oceans" and will also includs general history about the islands and so on. The event (if it goes as it is currently planned) will have over 500k worth of prizes to be won along the way.

Simply contact Reeves, Yersunshine, Yassenn, or Melany for more information as the merger approaches, or watch the event section of the new forums. We will have a post up with details shortly after its creation.
~ Reeves/Rreeves ~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Reeves90 at Dec 15, 2011 12:59:36 AM]
[Dec 15, 2011 12:58:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mari_

I'd be very disappointed to see the Midnight/Cobalt merge to be named Azure. Although I started playing after Azure, Midnight holds many memorials and inscriptions for the people, flags and crews that did play on Azure - how will these be addressed as they will look odd "Memorial to X who sailed on the fine ocean of Azure".

Please let the history of the game remain and consider something different, this is the game going forward afterall.
Calamarie - now also in Obsidian flavour!
Dignity - Emerald

"Always remember... Rumours are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots."

The Shadow is in my very core ;)
[Dec 15, 2011 1:38:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Salttree

After the 1 free name change to resolve issues from the mergers, name changes will cost 30 RM. Unless someone has lots and lots of money to throw away buying dubs (or renewing subs), there aren't going to be frequent name changes. Since one obtains 1 rogue mark for $9.95 (or equivalent), either dub purchase or subscription, 5 at $49.95, etc. it'll take a while to collect 30.

If that was the case, I could not go into the inn on sage and quickly buy up 50-100 Rogue marks for anywhere between 100-500k.

Rogue marks are very easy to obtain for 5k each. That means for a measly 150k (Yes, that might seem like a lot to some people, but in general anyone can earn it in less than a week regardless of who you are), you can change your name whenever you want. This is not enough of a deterrence in a game which is built so much around reputation and name recognition.

You brought up runescape, runescape at least when I watched my brother play it was not nearly as name dependent as Puzzle Pirates is. Please correct me if I am wrong, but there is not nearly a clear comparison there.

Good Luck with that one ...I bet after the merger, the price of Rogue Marks skys thur the roof ! !

Yes, because Logically when two oceans who have around the same rogue mark price combine, and therefore continue to have the same spawn rate, and the same demand, the price will fly through the rough.

Please, will you become my economy professor?

huh ?? say that again ?
[Dec 15, 2011 1:38:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Salttree

huh ? you sure ? a boat ?
[Dec 15, 2011 1:40:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NickScorpio

What's a boat?

It's an acronym for Buoyancy Operated Aquatic Transportation. It is pronounced Boe-AT
Hankscorpio
[Dec 15, 2011 2:28:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Salttree

It's an acronym for Buoyancy Operated Aquatic Transportation. It is pronounced Boe-AT[/quote]

Rofl , excellent Post, I love it. I think I'll start a crew with that name.
wait ? it to long , ( Buoyancy Operated Aquatic Transportation Crew of Midnight. ) Darn , I tried ..
[Dec 15, 2011 2:36:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Out of the 40ish pages on here (most oh which is dumb spam posts and such)

No one has brought up the issue of CI, HS and SMH charts.

With the addition of nearly 20+ new islands and 200+ LP's (idk about my math but just go with it :P) it would really suck to get a SMH map that is in some random location that you have never been to.

You can always sell the one you have, and rebuy one in a location closer to your usual stomping grounds, at least until you start learning the other ocean.

The same way any greenie learns them-- you'll pick them up as you job in the new ocean.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 15, 2011 3:38:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
senorita_esp

Out of the 40ish pages on here (most oh which is dumb spam posts and such)

No one has brought up the issue of CI, HS and SMH charts.

With the addition of nearly 20+ new islands and 200+ LP's (idk about my math but just go with it :P) it would really suck to get a SMH map that is in some random location that you have never been to.

You can always sell the one you have, and rebuy one in a location closer to your usual stomping grounds, at least until you start learning the other ocean.

I suggest each new ocean having a thread in their respective bazzars for chart swapping.
Chocorose of Cerulean:
Not too cute to be a pirate.
Current avatar by Salmon

I collect avatars
[Dec 15, 2011 4:52:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Please no confusing place names... (Are you talking about Emerald Arch or Emerald Ocean?)
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Dec 15, 2011 6:00:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Has anyone pondered what such large oceans will do to fruit/gems? I confess, I've never been huge into either of those, and Cobalt's situation for both is very simple/lame, so I may well be missing important details.

The time it will take to run from one end of a merged ocean to the other is going to be very tiring. I guess for fruit, foragers will just pick the two best islands on the merged ocean, just like they pick the best two islands on the current ocean. For gems, I guess people will probably not bother with the really long runs.

Not a huge problem, I think, but the merger just makes the lame system for both even lamer. It sure would be nice if foraging was fun/useful anywhere, not just one route, and for gems, it would be nice if people who have 6+ hours per day to gem run didn't make up 95%+ of all gems traded. I'm pretty sure that people will stop doing much of either on the Viridian/Cobalt parts of the merged oceans after they have had time to memorize the other half.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by wrs1864b at Dec 15, 2011 6:55:19 AM]
[Dec 15, 2011 6:53:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

In the case of the Sage - Hunter merger, that's not such an issue. However, the mergers of Viridian/Cobalt with 8-archipelago oceans makes a big difference as far as foraging is concerned. Currently, the shortest foraging route is 15+ leagues on Viridian (and similar on Cobalt, depending on what's colonized) whereas the shortest foraging route on Malachite is (I believe) 5 leagues (Cenote - Duat).* So yeah, it'll give foragers a new shorter route. I think it would be cool to make foraging more competitive by having fruit spawn rates at each island to disperse the foraging a bit but I guess that's too cutthroat for this game to implement anymore.

I can't really comment on gems. I've never dealt with them but sailing for so long sounds like is a pain in the ass. Perhaps they could increase spawn rate as distance from buying-market increases as well as increasing the price paid for them. In this case, the gems will far more likely be foraged farther away from the buying market but will more likely be worth moving that far.

* - I was wondering about this the other day, do outposts buy fruit? If not, the shortest is 7 leagues in I think two places.
[removed by SOPA]
[Edit 2 times, last edit by kenjennings at Dec 15, 2011 7:18:51 AM]
[Dec 15, 2011 7:17:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

Governors can choose to purchase fruits on the outposts, but only a medium or a large can purchase fruit via the commodities market.
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Dec 15, 2011 7:39:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Airion

First off I apologise for not reading 22 pages of this thread. I guess I need to hang out on the forums more as the first I heard about this was today when I logged in and saw the renaming survey link. So if what I'm about to say has already been said then my bad.

I think Midnight/Cobalt is going to come out of this relatively unscathed and therefore worse off. There are less players on Cobalt than there are on Midnight, and a lot of Cobalt players are Midnight players anyway. There's currently one forage on the board on Midnight and nothing at all on Cobalt. Nothing's going to change.

I would much rather OOO hadn't bought shiny new servers but instead spent our money on finding better ways to advertise and improve the game we already have.

And finally, I feel so sorry for Malachite. They really drew the short straw getting merged with Viridian.

ETA: I'd also like to put in a request for the furry mittens in Velasco Thorsson's portrait to be made available to all pirates. Thank you.
Don't wait for the perfect moment, take a moment and make it perfect.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Airion at Dec 15, 2011 8:18:23 AM]
[Dec 15, 2011 8:12:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Donsmythe

It's an acronym for Buoyancy Operated Aquatic Transportation. It is pronounced Boe-AT

wait ? it to long , ( Buoyancy Operated Aquatic Transportation Crew of Midnight. ) Darn , I tried ..

For those who don't know, or didn't catch it, that was a reference to Phineas and Ferb .
[Dec 15, 2011 8:39:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://don.yacktman.org/blog/    yackd [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

I think Midnight/Cobalt is going to come out of this relatively unscathed and therefore worse off. There are less players on Cobalt than there are on Midnight, and a lot of Cobalt players are Midnight players anyway. There's currently one forage on the board on Midnight and nothing at all on Cobalt. Nothing's going to change.
Unscathed -> worse off -> unchanged? What?

And finally, I feel so sorry for Malachite. They really drew the short straw getting merged with Viridian.
As opposed to being extinguished completely?
[removed by SOPA]
[Dec 15, 2011 8:42:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Airion

Unscathed -> worse off -> unchanged? What?

Unscathed as in no increase in population and therefore worse off than the other merged oceans so the ability to play will remain unchanged.

I think a lot of Malachite players would rather move to another dub ocean than merge with Viridian. I cannot think of two more poorly matched oceans.

Clear now?
[Dec 15, 2011 9:14:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

Algol asked:

Has anyone pondered what such large oceans will do to fruit/gems?

Actually, I have. And I wonder, if "Midnight-native" gems will spawn in "Cobalt-native" islands and vice versa.
Windwench
Hags of the Wicked Winds, Cerulean
Collecting Hake & Hagfish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HS on Viri:
Captain shouts, for heaven's sake, don't leave th :P
Jobber says, you don't hear that yelled too often
[Dec 15, 2011 9:23:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

I think a lot of Malachite players would rather move to another dub ocean than merge with Viridian. I cannot think of two more poorly matched oceans.
Why? This merge made the most sense population-wise. What difference does it make what ocean Malachite is merged with when, to be blunt, they're a drop in any ocean they're added to. They'll essentially be absorbed on any ocean. What the player base wants isn't really relevant.
[removed by SOPA]
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kenjennings at Dec 15, 2011 9:32:09 AM]
[Dec 15, 2011 9:31:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JamesStGeorg

It may be an interesting thing to do to put some small obstacle between the oceans, to reflect Thorsson's difficult passage. Perhaps a sea battle board has to be crossed at the central LP. Where the problems are only a very heavily wind, whirlpooled, and rocked board. So there is a chance of some ship damage in crossing from bumps. Clearly it should not be too tough for even soloers with just bots to cross reasonably safely with care, as you would not want to put off inter ocean travel.

Travel through could generate a trophy or a few according to passes through count.

Presumably as Thor's son has been chosen as the discoverer of the passage we may expect new viking objects in game perhaps requiring inter ocean passage to permit ownership of?
Jstgeorge of Emerald.
[Dec 15, 2011 9:42:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Airion

Why? This merge made the most sense population-wise. What difference does it make what ocean Malachite is merged with when, to be blunt, they're a drop in any ocean they're added to. They'll essentially be absorbed on any ocean. What the player base wants isn't really relevant.

I didn't say anything about what the player base wants, so please don't twist my words and put them back in my mouth.

My point, because you seem to be having trouble finding it, is that Malachite players are so far removed from Viridian players in their styles of play that I really feel for them getting sucked in what is just going to end up being Viridian with more islands.
[Dec 15, 2011 10:00:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

Well this will certainly make foraging a lot easier on the new Viridian/Malachite ocean. Just need to either buy a fleet on the Malachite side or move one over. A lot easier than the long distance Viridian foraging.
Captainrich
[Dec 15, 2011 12:24:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Culiford

It may be an interesting thing to do to put some small obstacle between the oceans, to reflect Thorsson's difficult passage. Perhaps a sea battle board has to be crossed at the central LP. Where the problems are only a very heavily wind, whirlpooled, and rocked board. So there is a chance of some ship damage in crossing from bumps. Clearly it should not be too tough for even soloers with just bots to cross reasonably safely with care, as you would not want to put off inter ocean travel.

This would be a huge pain for moving blockade fleets across in a timely manner. Which may or may not be bad because it adds some sense of world back in, but it definitely would make it difficult to get large numbers of large ships between each ocean.
Culliford on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince of Universe A
[Dec 15, 2011 12:32:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
NickScorpio

For those who don't know, or didn't catch it, that was a reference to Phineas and Ferb .

Yes, word for word (I think).
Hankscorpio
[Dec 15, 2011 3:07:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rowilliams

Questions about the test oceans...
Will access to these be the same as those with access to ice?
Will people who log on a test ocean have to start a fresh pirate or can they use a pirate from one of the existing oceans (having some charts and memed lps will help with testing)?
Daxyy and Daxy on Emerald
If u wanna know where I'm from look it up...
Stalker of too many forums...
And now part of the action too...
[Dec 15, 2011 3:26:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

I suspect there are some Malachite players who would genuinely prefer that, yes.

From where this beta player and subscriber-since-launch sits, of course, you're all late-coming hoi polloi. ;)
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Dec 15, 2011 4:39:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

I suspect there are some Malachite players who would genuinely prefer that, yes.

From where this beta player and subscriber-since-launch sits, of course, you're all late-coming hoi polloi. ;)

Pfft, slowcoach.
[Dec 15, 2011 4:44:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

I didn't say anything about what the player base wants, so please don't twist my words and put them back in my mouth.

My point, because you seem to be having trouble finding it, is that Malachite players are so far removed from Viridian players in their styles of play that I really feel for them getting sucked in what is just going to end up being Viridian with more islands.

You wrote: 
I'm sorry, did I say want? I guess I meant would rather. And do share, what's so different about these styles of play? I'll concede that Malachite is the most different ocean of all the Dub oceans but what large difference do you see among the other three that Malachite is so unfortunate to be merged with one as opposed to any of the others? Malachite would get 'sucked into' any ocean it would be merged with because it's relatively tiny, not because of an aggressive playerbase or any of that nonsense.

All I can conclude from your posts is that you're another person who, for some reason, likes to pile on various unflattering characteristics onto Viridian.

Hurr! Viridian paywars! SMA SMA SMA! Viridian players r teh dum! Give it a break.
[removed by SOPA]
[Dec 15, 2011 4:57:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates