• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 926
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 147557 times and has 925 replies Next Thread
Alesanaftw

Re: United Oceans Discussion Reply to this Post

When are the test servers coming out?

Hermes, in the Q&A, wrote:

Q: Will we be able to test this before it's released?
A: To help iron out any potential issues and to give everyone a chance to provide feedback on the merge before it takes place, we are planning to make testing versions of the merged oceans available. These will run alongside the current oceans, but the test oceans will only be available for a limited time, after which they will be removed. Once we're satisfied with the state of the test oceans, we'll proceed with the official merge. We'll have more info on the testing process in a future announcement.

HellimEric2001 wrote:

I have concerns about players renaming themselves, for all the obvious reasons.

Is there anyway a permanent record can be maintained and updated that lists all the name changes that occur so we can see if people had previous aliases?

I suggest you add a box of some sort on the PiratePage near the top, maybe right under their current name which will serve as a list of (a) previous name(s)
----------------------------------------
Tjjsalt (Hunter and Cobalt)
All opinions I express are mine alone.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Alesanaftw at Dec 13, 2011 3:49:41 PM]
[Dec 13, 2011 3:40:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

"Quitex"
Also known as: "Christinalovr", "Gleetastic", "ilikcuteboys"
Quitex, everywhere, mainly Ice.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Dec 13, 2011 5:25:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

"Quitex"
Also Previously known as: "Christinalovr", "Gleetastic", "ilikcuteboys"

[removed by SOPA]
[Dec 13, 2011 5:28:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moonmaiden79

I have concerns about players renaming themselves, for all the obvious reasons.

Is there anyway a permanent record can be maintained and updated that lists all the name changes that occur so we can see if people had previous aliases?

I can see how it could be exploited too- but it's not like you get a list of AKAs when someone creates a new pirate. Honestly, there is more chance of manipulation with alts than name changes as there are multiple clues to a person's original identity with a name change, (stats, portraits, trophies, crew, flag, hearties, etc.)

I can also see some legitimate reasons for wanting to change your name beyond the East-West thing. But I really think that it should be expensive enough that people aren't doing it frivolously.
Stabatha- Tarts of Doom, Obsidian
[Dec 13, 2011 5:38:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skiffygrrl

After the 1 free name change to resolve issues from the mergers, name changes will cost 30 RM. Unless someone has lots and lots of money to throw away buying dubs (or renewing subs), there aren't going to be frequent name changes. Since one obtains 1 rogue mark for $9.95 (or equivalent), either dub purchase or subscription, 5 at $49.95, etc. it'll take a while to collect 30.

I know it's considered heresy to bring up how other games do this sort of thing, but keep in mind that on Runescape, as long as you're a paying subscriber (this isn't available to free players), you can change your name once every 30 days at no charge. And if you're on someone's friend's list, or in a clan or friends chat, you can use the mouse to hover over the unfamiliar name, and it will show you what their name was prior to the most recent change. Changed names are also flagged with an indicator symbol on the friends list.

If, after 30 days, the person stops changing his or her name, the new name becomes the permanent name and the "name changed" flag goes away. But, for 30 days, there's no way they can hide who they used to be.
Adrianalidah and variants everywhere
Gwynhwyfahr in a few places

Current avatar courtesy of a game glitch, Halloween 2008
[Edit 2 times, last edit by skiffygrrl at Dec 13, 2011 7:25:34 PM]
[Dec 13, 2011 7:19:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.sff.net/people/a.gormley    skiffygrrl [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

"Quitex"
Also Previously known as: "Christinalovr", "Gleetastic", "ilikcuteboys"

Yes, that.
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 
Someone asked why Quitex would do this as a rogue. All I can say is, well, he's QUITEX! No one knows what he will do next, ESPECIALLY Quitex.

[Dec 13, 2011 7:27:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

Although some would prefer the 'also' as well because of RAGE@ALTS!!!1
[removed by SOPA]
[Dec 13, 2011 7:53:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Reeves90

After the 1 free name change to resolve issues from the mergers, name changes will cost 30 RM. Unless someone has lots and lots of money to throw away buying dubs (or renewing subs), there aren't going to be frequent name changes. Since one obtains 1 rogue mark for $9.95 (or equivalent), either dub purchase or subscription, 5 at $49.95, etc. it'll take a while to collect 30.

If that was the case, I could not go into the inn on sage and quickly buy up 50-100 Rogue marks for anywhere between 100-500k.

Rogue marks are very easy to obtain for 5k each. That means for a measly 150k (Yes, that might seem like a lot to some people, but in general anyone can earn it in less than a week regardless of who you are), you can change your name whenever you want. This is not enough of a deterrence in a game which is built so much around reputation and name recognition.

You brought up runescape, runescape at least when I watched my brother play it was not nearly as name dependent as Puzzle Pirates is. Please correct me if I am wrong, but there is not nearly a clear comparison there.
~ Reeves/Rreeves ~
[Dec 13, 2011 8:33:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

The problem is that over time (think long term) people will change their names and other people will take the old one. It will be super confusing to now see this other person who I thought was one person, but now it's another person, and the first person has the name of this other person that I never even knew was a person.

Or if I see a person with an 8 year trophy and like 10 #1 trophies, it will be very disorienting to not recognize that person's name. I would want to be able to go look somewhere and see "Oh, that's what so-and-so is named now".

Social puzzle is everything. Consistent names matter.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Dec 13, 2011 8:34:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Salttree

If that was the case, I could not go into the inn on sage and quickly buy up 50-100 Rogue marks for anywhere between 100-500k.

Rogue marks are very easy to obtain for 5k each. That means for a measly 150k (Yes, that might seem like a lot to some people, but in general anyone can earn it in less than a week regardless of who you are), you can change your name whenever you want. This is not enough of a deterrence in a game which is built so much around reputation and name recognition.

You brought up runescape, runescape at least when I watched my brother play it was not nearly as name dependent as Puzzle Pirates is. Please correct me if I am wrong, but there is not nearly a clear comparison there.

Good Luck with that one ...I bet after the merger, the price of Rogue Marks skys thur the roof ! !
[Dec 13, 2011 10:17:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RedSeaWitch

The problem is that over time (think long term) people will change their names and other people will take the old one. It will be super confusing to now see this other person who I thought was one person, but now it's another person, and the first person has the name of this other person that I never even knew was a person.

Or if I see a person with an 8 year trophy and like 10 #1 trophies, it will be very disorienting to not recognize that person's name. I would want to be able to go look somewhere and see "Oh, that's what so-and-so is named now".

Social puzzle is everything. Consistent names matter.

If they have portraits, it should be visible on those done prior to the name change, since the flipside are snapshots of the standings etc. at the moment of painting the portrait, no?
Windwench
Hags of the Wicked Winds, Cerulean
Collecting Hake & Hagfish
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HS on Viri:
Captain shouts, for heaven's sake, don't leave th :P
Jobber says, you don't hear that yelled too often
[Dec 13, 2011 10:49:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kundry.rm    kundryyyy    3761215 [Link]  Go to top 
Reeves90

Good Luck with that one ...I bet after the merger, the price of Rogue Marks skys thur the roof ! !

Yes, because Logically when two oceans who have around the same rogue mark price combine, and therefore continue to have the same spawn rate, and the same demand, the price will fly through the rough.

Please, will you become my economy professor?
~ Reeves/Rreeves ~
[Dec 13, 2011 11:55:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
catscanner

Yes, because Logically when two oceans who have around the same rogue mark price combine, and therefore continue to have the same spawn rate, and the same demand, the price will fly through the rough.

Please, will you become my economy professor?

I think he was referring to the amount of people wanting to Chang their pirate name, demand will rise effecting price.

-Demand Inflation.
[Dec 14, 2011 12:28:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xelto

Probably, but not for renames. There are most likely going to be other things coming in the rogue mark shop that will bump the prices up.

The problem with renames is that the people who are most likely to use it, I expect, are the people that others want to keep track of-- especially navigators with long mute lists.
Gurndigarn on Emerald Ocean
"Oh, come on. You jobbed onto a ship called the Cursed Isle Raider and you expected *refined*?"
[Dec 14, 2011 3:56:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenjennings

There won't be a huge spike in demand because initial renames will be free. Also, I don't think players will be flipping through names too often. Why would an established player whose name everyone knows change it unless they're trying to hide from something?
[removed by SOPA]
[Dec 14, 2011 6:27:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quitex

The main use to this, IMO, will be those pirates whose main has a really embarrassing name and wanted to change it but the pirate has been developed too much that start back from 0 would suck.

Hi, ineedagf :P
Monarch of Cows
Joly wrote: 

[Dec 14, 2011 7:56:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hermes
Developer

As promised, here's the link to the final ocean name poll. It'll only be open until 3 PM PST on Friday, December 16th, so vote early and tell your hearties to do the same!

Once we've settled on names, we'll get the new Parley/Bazaar/Event forum business rolling.
[Dec 14, 2011 2:04:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Auntyjemima

Vote Emerald for Hunter/Sage :D!

Do eet...

Nortoneer says, "Kitty.."
Nortoneer says, "How do you think yer kitten would do at sails?"
Hellkitty says, "he'd probably purr-fur rigs"

[Dec 14, 2011 2:32:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bronzebeard

For the sub ocean, don't sully the Azure name by picking that.
Peglegpaul
Now on Obsidian!
[Dec 14, 2011 2:38:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HiimEric2001

While I really really appreciate the sentiment to bring back the Azure name, I don't think it's appropriate.

"Azure" represents a specific era of the game, and I think it would be more appropriate to move on to something new.

Azure was then. Midnight/Cobalt are now. ______ is next.
Cire
Purple Squid Brigade, Inglorious Fandango

Nemo says, "Cire has figured me out..."

[Dec 14, 2011 2:59:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hazarath

While I really really appreciate the sentiment to bring back the Azure name, I don't think it's appropriate.

"Azure" represents a specific era of the game, and I think it would be more appropriate to move on to something new.

Agreed.
Morbuzaan

I support PvP in sinking environments.

Cremate wrote: 
Cremate tells ye, "Anyway I have hockey to watch"

[Dec 14, 2011 3:50:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pegasiswolf

As promised, here's the link to the final ocean name poll. It'll only be open until 3 PM PST on Friday, December 16th, so vote early and tell your hearties to do the same!

Once we've settled on names, we'll get the new Parley/Bazaar/Event forum business rolling.

i wasnt gonna come on here and tart.... but i just cant resist...

i have 2 main problems with that final ocean name poll.....

1) why are the doubloon oceans grouped TOGETHER like that??? i mean.. if i vote Emerald and Pearl for instance... what is there to say that i meant that i want SAGE to be renamed Emerald.... (last thing i wanna see happen is emerald wins by a landslide .. and then gets applied to veridian/mala!!

2) where did the suggestions Dusk and Dawn come from??? I mean they are nice names.. and i guess i wouldnt be all that upset if they won... and then who cares WHICH of the 2 gets which name... but..... where did they come from??? all the ppl i have spoken to .. voted mostly for emerald (tho again i speak to sage ppl mostly)... but nobody had ever heard dusk and dawn discussed.... and i recognise a couple of the other names as being mentioned on this forum post.. but ...... in scrolling back thru this forum post... i dont see where dusk and dawn.. were ever suggested by players...... is this just something the devs decided would make good names... and if so.... then WHY ask US to nominate names with that first poll to begin with?

ok rant over...
Pegasiswolf- Captain of Dream Catchers and Queen of Fleet of Dreams -Emerald

host of XMAS IN JULY event 2011 to 2020

"maintaining a positive attitude may not fix all of lifes problems, but it should annoy enough ppl to make it worth the
[Dec 14, 2011 3:51:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    https://www.facebook.com/victoria.wittren    pegasiswolf [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Agreed.

It'll never be 2003 again, and I'll never have my old hearties back. So, what they said.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Dec 14, 2011 3:53:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Culiford

2) where did the suggestions Dusk and Dawn come from??? I mean they are nice names.. and i guess i wouldnt be all that upset if they won... and then who cares WHICH of the 2 gets which name... but..... where did they come from??? all the ppl i have spoken to .. voted mostly for emerald (tho again i speak to sage ppl mostly)... but nobody had ever heard dusk and dawn discussed.... and i recognise a couple of the other names as being mentioned on this forum post.. but ...... in scrolling back thru this forum post... i dont see where dusk and dawn.. were ever suggested by players...... is this just something the devs decided would make good names... and if so.... then WHY ask US to nominate names with that first poll to begin with?

These were both player suggested, and mentioned in multiple threads.

Example: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=177054#2436144
Culliford on the Cerulean Ocean
Prince of Universe A
[Dec 14, 2011 3:59:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pegasiswolf

These were both player suggested, and mentioned in multiple threads.

Example: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=177054#2436144

hmm.. i only searched the 43 pages of this thread... since there were so many names suggested here... that was a midnight thread.... so i missed it...
Pegasiswolf- Captain of Dream Catchers and Queen of Fleet of Dreams -Emerald

host of XMAS IN JULY event 2011 to 2020

"maintaining a positive attitude may not fix all of lifes problems, but it should annoy enough ppl to make it worth the
[Dec 14, 2011 4:10:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest    https://www.facebook.com/victoria.wittren    pegasiswolf [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I must say, I really didn't like any of the names, far too many gem names, none really sounded like oceans. And, I *REALLY* didn't like that the two dub oceans were thrown together. Meridian is a cool name for Malachite/Viridian, but not as good for sage/hunter.

As far as Azure goes, back when my kids were being born, I heard some really good advice on baby names. One advice was to choose the name you like, don't worry that someone you vaguely knew in high school had that name and was really creepy or whatever. After 6 months, that will all be forgotten, and the same will be true with things like Azure. If Azure is chosen, after 6 months or so, people will think of the ocean as Azure, with some people recognizing that the ocean's grand parent shared the same name.

Don't worry about grumpy old player. If you think Azure is the best name, choose it.

It does have the advantage that it begins with "A", so the forums will be near the top.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Dec 14, 2011 5:12:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Camen4

You know all the talk about not liking the names and all well we should be happy the OMs are letting us have a choice they don't have to just find the one you like or don't hate alot and choose it.

Don't mean to be rude but I just think we should be alittle more thankful

Cobalt- Camen
Midnight- Camen
Viridian- Camen

Camen on Cerulean (Cobalt)
[Dec 14, 2011 5:30:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hillsmen

So correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like we get one free name change when the new ocean begins? Or is that only if somebody else has the same name as yours? I haven't found this while looking so I thought I would ask...
Captainrich
[Dec 14, 2011 7:21:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GothicNinja

So correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like we get one free name change when the new ocean begins? Or is that only if somebody else has the same name as yours? I haven't found this while looking so I thought I would ask...

As I understand it, only pirates who have -East or -West added to their names get the free rename. So even if someone has the same name, if your pirate is older, you don't get a free name change because you keep the original.

Aha, here's from the original FAQs post:

Q: What if I don't like what my name was changed to?
A: Pirate renames will be added to the Rogue Mark Shop, and anyone who was automatically renamed will be granted a rename, free of charge.

Ninjette of Cerulean
[Edit 1 times, last edit by GothicNinja at Dec 14, 2011 7:54:17 PM]
[Dec 14, 2011 7:49:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ovaryraptor

Out of the 40ish pages on here (most oh which is dumb spam posts and such)

No one has brought up the issue of CI, HS and SMH charts.

With the addition of nearly 20+ new islands and 200+ LP's (idk about my math but just go with it :P) it would really suck to get a SMH map that is in some random location that you have never been to. I don't know how but there needs to be some though put into this to make getting to said area a little more user friendly >_>

New Point:

How can you get to say Hunter (formerly) islands if your Sage pirate has never been to one. I know that you could have Ovaryraptor-West/East invite you there but there has to be an easier way so you can start whisking to them when you need to.
Pinke tells ye "I almost said cuz hes a hippo"
Pinke tells ye "Then I felt bad :("

Duns tells ye, "i gonna go grovel in my missery"
[Dec 14, 2011 10:21:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 926   Pages: 31   [ First Page | Previous Page | 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates