• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 72
Posts: 72   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 15508 times and has 71 replies Next Thread
Mcimp

A Piratey Fairytale [Winners announced] Reply to this Post

The Sun and the Cinder-imp

Once upon a time, there was a modest pirate lass known only as the Cinder-imp. She was friendly and hardworking, often sought out by others for her skills, and yet one thing eluded her. She was unable to find love. Although she consoled herself with a passion for ships, there was always that one significant element missing.

Then one day, she found the Gods. Well, okay. One God in particular. She caught Apollo, the Sun God watching her, nearly ever day. Whenever she went outside, there he would be, staring. He would peek out from behind the clouds while she was working. Sometimes, she even caught him peering in at her bathroom window while she was bathing. Unsure exactly what to do about this unexpected attention, she eventually decided to approach him with a gift.

For many months, she laboured over the creation of a magnificent Rogue Sloop. From sourcing the necessary materials, some quite rare, to crafting the paint, and finally the ship itself, she worked on it alone. When it was finally ready and she attempted to gift her idol with this lowly token of her esteem, she was cruelly spurned. In his wrath, the God Apollo smote her modest stall with his collection of garishly colored old junk cursed to make puny mortal eyes bleed, and a selection of incontinent white cats.

Devastated by this unexpected turn of events, the Cinder-imp fell into a deep despair. Her days were clouded by ? cloud ?, her businesses suffered, she became poor and ragged. If not for the kindness of the few friends who stood by her, she would have wasted away altogether. In a final effort to rouse her from her depression, her friends put her to work crafting a Rogue War Brig. Bigger and better than the Rogue Sloop, they convinced her that her story wasn't yet over, and that such a ship would be a worthy gift for the person who could provide her with a happy ending.

Your task

* Write an ending to the story. You may take one of three directions: "Romantic", "Revenge", or "Move on with your life".
* You may only enter once, and you may only use one type of ending.
* Word limit: 500 words. Shorter is fine though, remember, I just want the ending, not the whole story!
* Include your pirate name and ocean, and which ending type you are writing about in your post.

Nitty-gritty.

* Any issues/questions/confusion, please post in this thread and I will do my best to clarify things.
* This event is open to pirates from all oceans, however, all entries must be in English. If prizes need to be delivered to Jade or Opal, renames will be substituted for something relevant to that ocean.
* Entries must be your own work.
* 500-word limit.
* Normal forum rules and in-game filter rules apply.
* Please put your entry in the ENTRY THREAD
* Include your pirate name and ocean, ending type, and 1st/2nd place prize preference if it is different to the order listed.
* Entries must meet all criteria listed under "your task".
* Entries posted or edited after the deadline will be disqualified.
* Judging will be done by a panel of 3, to a set criteria, including relevance to the theme, originality and how well-written your piece is in general.
* Deadline is 11:59 pm, Tuesday July 12

Prizes

First overall: Renamed rogue war brig, "Evil Sunfish", plus a sadly unwanted white cat.
Second overall: Cupid class sloop, plus a sad and incontent white cat.
Best Romantic ending: Devoted white puppy to follow you everywhere, and Romantic furniture package (Rose and pink fireplace, rose and pink exotic carpet, Rose and pink large pile of pillows, pink color wall lamp for mood lighting.)
Best revenge ending: Unwanted and angry white cat, Sword through the heart furniture package (Sink to wash the blood off your hands, Red and white Heart and sword banner, Red/red armor with sword, Red lacquered chest to lock your heart away in.)
Best move-on-with-your-life-and-stop-mooning-over-some-God-ending: Independent white cat, Independent woman mortal furniture package (Blue winged sword banner, Blue globe table, Large display case for the trophies from all the hearts you've broken)

* Note that first and second prizes may be requested in a different order, however, the other prizes will only be awarded to the relevant matched story type. If you want the revenge prize, for example, write the revenge ending!

Winners announced here
----------------------------------------
I am pretty, oh so pretty...
Elegant avatar by the talented Wayfarer.

[Edit 3 times, last edit by Mcimp at Jul 22, 2011 3:21:42 PM]
[Jun 30, 2011 11:24:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
iong

Re: A Piratey Fairytale [Writing event, Deadline July 12 Reply to this Post

i LOL'd :D
/me nods yes heart and sword banner not swords
am going to try and put the reboot fairy in it somehow hehe
Captain and Surgeon of Eye of Harmony
Founding member of Blink and The White Void
Show-me-the-stars avvie by XEcastasy!!

Adrielle tells ye, "they are coming - the chickens are coming"

[Jul 1, 2011 12:15:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

Sometimes, she even caught him peering in at her bathroom window while she was bathing.

:O Apollo!!!
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Jul 1, 2011 1:42:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Cnuofesd

By "Finish the story" do you mean continue as if we were writing from your excerpt, or can we assume events between our 500 words and your initial start and make brief reference too them?
Capablanca on Emerald
My posts are not my own opinion.
[Jul 1, 2011 3:52:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

By "Finish the story" do you mean continue as if we were writing from your excerpt, or can we assume events between our 500 words and your initial start and make brief reference too them?

You may! Either is fine, no restrictions on the amount of time that might have passed between my beginning and your ending.

[Jul 1, 2011 4:04:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Will it be possible that the winner of one of the best category endings, also be the best or second overall?

/me giggles!
Perfect timing! Heading out on a little road trip this weeknd, and now I'll have something to think about, other than, are we there yet?
Dexla d'Midnight
[Jul 1, 2011 6:06:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Will it be possible that the winner of one of the best category endings, also be the best or second overall?

/me giggles!
Perfect timing! Heading out on a little road trip this weeknd, and now I'll have something to think about, other than, are we there yet?

No. First and second place will be awarded first, and excluded from the category groups.

I like to spread the fun around ;)

[Jul 1, 2011 12:49:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gumygumy

Do we write the ending in the entry thread or put a link to the piece of work?
Gumygumy,
Pirate on the Cerulean Ocean
Avatar by the fantastical Cattrin!
[Jul 2, 2011 2:19:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Do we write the ending in the entry thread or put a link to the piece of work?

In the entry thread, just as you've done.

[Jul 2, 2011 3:22:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lovemachined

Can the entries be a mix of Romantic and Revenge? As in she takes revenge and then kisses him or kisses him and then takes revenge? :P
Just an example, you got my point :)
[Jul 2, 2011 4:17:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hathan

wow i have so much story i dont know how to fit it all in

Well heres to trying :D
Captain and Sailmaster of Ice
check out these idea's
events hall
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=172002
player owned outposts
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=2397343#239734
1v
[Jul 2, 2011 5:38:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Can the entries be a mix of Romantic and Revenge? As in she takes revenge and then kisses him or kisses him and then takes revenge? :P
Just an example, you got my point :)

You may include whatever you like, so long as it's clear the story finishes with your chosen ending type. The endings themselves are mutually exclusive, but if you want to add a twist to your story, that's fine, so long as it's clear that it ends on your chosen ending theme. I'm not sure I'm being very clear on this right now, feel free to ask for more clarification if you need it.

Just to reiterate, you can only choose one ending type for prizes. If you choose revenge but your story is romantic, chances are the judges will pick up on that ;)

Edit: spelling.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Mcimp at Jul 2, 2011 2:34:38 PM]
[Jul 2, 2011 2:33:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cattrin

Bah, I thought I would have no problem with the word limit. D: 545 and I can't cut even the slightest bit out anymore.

Edit: 524...GAH.
Cattrin of Cerulean
Avatar by Apollo (we miss you :c), Blakbead, Angelira, Coriander, and Accelerator!

X tells ye, "Stop yo drawing fool!"

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cattrin at Jul 3, 2011 5:42:53 AM]
[Jul 2, 2011 3:57:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragunelis

Holy barnacle. Can I still stay if I have written 945 words? :(

Dungy from Hunter
[Jul 3, 2011 5:00:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arghhpirate

There should be a 10% over thing like at school and uni :P
I neeed it, /goes back to cutting words
[Jul 3, 2011 8:25:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hathan

Ok i may need some help figuring exactly what kind of ending mine is but i hope you all enjoy it.
check out these idea's
events hall
player owned outposts
1v
[Jul 3, 2011 9:06:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Holy barnacle. Can I still stay if I have written 945 words? :(

y'know, I was originally going to make it 1000 words, and was convinced that would be a bit hard on the poor judges. It is, after all, just an ending, not the whole story. I also tossed around the different options with a 500-word limit and the 10% rule, however, since there's a few people coming up with issues on the word restriction, I just want to make sure it's clear:

* the 10% rule won't apply because it can be 5 words long and still be a valid entry. The maximum is and shall remain at 500 words. The only leeway here will be a few words over to account for different word count tools.

* If, like me, you enjoy entering for the fun rather than the prizes, the evil pedantic rules don't matter so much, just enter for the lulz.

* If you're having trouble with the word limit and want a chance for the prizes, when I'm writing for stories or essays, I like to mind map things. Try pulling out the key ideas, then give them a short paragraph each, rather than trying to reduce the size of a story that your wonderful creative genius has made too long for the event. If you like, and you still like your long version better, you can always post it in this thread so we can all enjoy it, and post a shorter version in the entry thread for judging :)

I'm liking these stories very much, by the way :)

[Jul 3, 2011 5:44:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Voxpox

i like how almost all of these end with her falling in love (lol) very nice stories by all my rivals XD
Tradesman of Emerald.

"so i opened a gold box... Trinkets... HOORAY"
[Jul 4, 2011 2:37:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hathan

man im so tense i shouldnt have entered till later
i keep logging on to check who else dares to contest with me and reading their stuff to see how much chance i have it's taking at least half an hour out of each day
check out these idea's
events hall
player owned outposts
1v
[Jul 4, 2011 9:43:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hathan

Just to say if you copy and paste speech marks and apostrophes from word they come out a bit wrong with funny symbols and stuff so you may have to retype them
check out these idea's
events hall
player owned outposts
1v
[Jul 4, 2011 9:53:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bumblebeebox

This 'McApollo' fellow misspelt 'verily'.
Broke me heart, it did :(

Edit: Oh, my mistake. *Cough*
Berthier of Sage.
Glaucus wrote: 
Tell your non-existent children they need to eat more ice cream to better equalize their internal and external body temperatures.

Huy tells ye, "You came too late."
[Edit 1 times, last edit by bumblebeebox at Jul 10, 2011 8:08:34 AM]
[Jul 5, 2011 2:07:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hathan

Does Apollo's entry count because it is SO awesome!
(actually i don't think it fits any ending type)*phew*

ps. is the ending type just in relation to Apollo so other loves don't count as romance but getting on with life?
check out these idea's
events hall
player owned outposts
1v
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Hathan at Jul 5, 2011 5:01:51 AM]
[Jul 5, 2011 4:59:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Snowpixie

Does Apollo's entry count because it is SO awesome!
(actually i don't think it fits any ending type)*phew*

ps. is the ending type just in relation to Apollo so other loves don't count as romance but getting on with life?

I think we should tie him up and make sure he is who he says he is first.
Imp, totally sane mermaid-siren of Meridian.
Superdoodle avatar by Budclare =D
[Jul 5, 2011 5:17:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

... and

While I had specific ideas in mind while I was writing the event, others' interpretations will sometimes be different and surprising, and that's part of the fun. I might have to eat my words about the ending types being mutually exclusive :)

No, the ending type isn't specifically in relation to Apollo. Other loves could count as romance, or getting on with life, depending on your interpretation.

[Jul 5, 2011 5:41:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hathan

That link is so awesome i can't believe Apollo answered those they're great :D
check out these idea's
events hall
player owned outposts
1v
[Jul 5, 2011 7:33:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mcimp

Deadline just around the corner, hop to it if you haven't entered yet!

[Jul 9, 2011 2:46:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zombieqc

Not listening to her friends, she had an unquenchable thrist for vengence. Apollo didn't care, because he was up high in the sky. He was out of reach. Little did he know that she would come across quite an artifact. One day while the Cinder-imp was foraging, she found quite a strange treasure. A small chest with ancient text on the lock. She opened it and found a magical chart, with only an illustration of the sun on it. She knew right away that the chart was the key to her freedom. She called all of her crew mates to work their hardest on deck to fight her arch-enemy, Apollo. She laid the chart on her desk. Suddenly, the chart started glowing in a bright plum color, blinding temporarly the whole crew. When they opened they're eyes, they were flying upward to the sun. She ordered to her crew mates to load the cannons and fire the whole ship's hold in the sun. A huge explosion followed and Apollo fell down in the viridian ocean, right next to Lima island. Nowadays, the legend says that every night, Apollo swims to the surface and sends imperials, Brigand kings and ghost ships to sink pirate ships, and that the drowned pirates we're only becoming Apollo's servant, underwater.

Hope you enjoyed my story!!! :)

Djblend, from Viridian ocean.
[Jul 9, 2011 7:19:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bumblebeebox

Not listening to her friends, she had an unquenchable thrist for vengence. Apollo didn't care, because he was up high in the sky. He was out of reach. Little did he know that she would come across quite an artifact. One day while the Cinder-imp was foraging, she found quite a strange treasure. A small chest with ancient text on the lock. She opened it and found a magical chart, with only an illustration of the sun on it. She knew right away that the chart was the key to her freedom. She called all of her crew mates to work their hardest on deck to fight her arch-enemy, Apollo. She laid the chart on her desk. Suddenly, the chart started glowing in a bright plum color, blinding temporarly the whole crew. When they opened they're eyes, they were flying upward to the sun. She ordered to her crew mates to load the cannons and fire the whole ship's hold in the sun. A huge explosion followed and Apollo fell down in the viridian ocean, right next to Lima island. Nowadays, the legend says that every night, Apollo swims to the surface and sends imperials, Brigand kings and ghost ships to sink pirate ships, and that the drowned pirates we're only becoming Apollo's servant, underwater.

Hope you enjoyed my story!!! :)

Djblend, from Viridian ocean.

Nitty-gritty.
* Please put your entry in the ENTRY THREAD

Berthier of Sage.
Glaucus wrote: 
Tell your non-existent children they need to eat more ice cream to better equalize their internal and external body temperatures.

Huy tells ye, "You came too late."
[Jul 10, 2011 4:45:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hathan

i feel sorry for the judges. There are so many to get through. (they should just read mine (ill stand a better chance that way))

although tomorrow is the deadline do you have any idea when judging will be finished or have you been judging them as they are posted kind of thing.
check out these idea's
events hall
player owned outposts
1v
[Jul 11, 2011 8:59:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aethera21

This is an adorable event, and I appreciate the small word limit - I never manage to enter the longer writing contests. Glad I saw it before the deadline!
Aethera of Cobalt Cerulean
Princess of Maniacal Menagerie
Blockade staff on any ocean
[Jul 11, 2011 10:25:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 72   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates