• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2053 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
tylur

Avatar Project: Need Artists/Ideas/Feedback! Reply to this Post

Lots of people like having personalized avatars for forums, right? I wanted to make my own thread so that I could make avatars for people and possibly make a little PoE while doing so. While exploring other peoples avatar making threads (most of which are very impressive) i realized my art skills are not quite up to par with most. I also noticed that most of these threads have high demand and most people do not accept more then a certain amount of orders. Can't really blame them as making all those avatars can be VERY time consuming for the artists.

So here's my idea. I have created a Program in which the user can drag and place objects into a 150px*150px square to essentially make there own avatar from already created art pieces. The Current program is VERY basic so dont expect much, it can be found here:

[Link to V1]

(first) Updated Version (new Features listed In-Program):
Still basically a teaser. I didn't feel the first one showed what I was going for completely.
[Link to V1.0.1]

This is just to give an idea as to what I'm going for (I don't want to get too in depth now, especially where I'm not sure if its going to be liked by the community or not.)

as of now I'm probably not going to spend too much of my time on this. It's completely just for something I can do in my free time for fun. If i get enough feedback I'll definitely be motivated to work on it.

Things i would like to include in the program:
? Many backgrounds
? Lots of Clothing, Facial expressions, Hairstyles, Objects, etc.
? Ability to change clothing Color
? Of course an option to choose a gender to avoid a clutter of objects
? I would LOVE if I could involve artwork from many artist, to add to the variety. please let me know if you'd be interested!
? I think an option to place text would be good to add names to the avatar.

Now i need help from YOU!
please let me know what you think! Troll me if you want, i dont mind! :P

I will consider EVERY suggestion! Everybody who contributes in ANY way WILL be credited! (in some way, I promise!)

Thank you :)
----------------------------------------
Bucklewheat of Sage
[The Avatar Project: Need ARTISTS/FEEDBACK/SUGGESTIONS]
[Edit 4 times, last edit by tylur at Sep 22, 2010 8:00:01 PM]
[Sep 21, 2010 7:23:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dexla

Re: Avatar Project: Need Artists/Ideas/Feedback! Reply to this Post

From what I saw, I think it'll be great when you add the other options!

In order of importance, I would work on the pirate naming option first. Even when you expand the variety of expressions, clothing, etc., there's bound to be near duplicates - names would be perfect to help separate them to some degree.

To add more to the list of options (just for the sake of adding more :D) it'd be nice to be able to include pets or familiars. Although that might add a considerable amount of extra work if you consider the color combinations O.o

And somewhere, you'll probably have to do something that explains how someone would go about getting that image - to here. Screen capture?

I look forward to seeing more of it!
Dexla d'Midnight
[Sep 21, 2010 9:43:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
treese

I like this! I see lots of potential in this, and could even possibly lead to an avatar fad (remember the "Everyone likes YPP, even ____". I always wanted one of them!

Very simple UI which, for something like this you don't need anything fancy. I'm looking forward to seeing this with more options of course. You could even invite some of the regular avatar artists to design special features, like maybe a face or background or accessories or something. The possibilities and potential with this are near infinite, and I know it can be a great learning experience for you as well.

My question though is would/could you charge for something like this and how could you harness income from this, if that's what you are looking to do. Programming this could take lots of valuable time, and if it takes off (like I know it could), folks can be very demanding asking for certain off the wall features.

Yes! I likey! I think this could go far!
TammyGal
Cobalt Ocean
SO & former Captain of Boochin' Drunks - One of the founding crews of Cobalt
Lady of the all-grown-up CAPS LOCK Kiddies, Super Awesomeness!!
(awesome avatar by Darkfaery!)
[Sep 22, 2010 4:45:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://superawesomepp.proboards100.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
tylur

In order of importance, I would work on the pirate naming option first. Even when you expand the variety of expressions, clothing, etc., there's bound to be near duplicates - names would be perfect to help separate them to some degree.

I agree with you with the idea that near duplicates are definitely an issue, which is why I'd like to have people contribute so there can be MANY options. As of now I'll definitely make some sort of text feature until it (possibly) takes off.

it'd be nice to be able to include pets or familiars.

yes! i don't only want to stop at this, but my ultimate goal is to include pretty much everything you can include in normal portraits and more.

And somewhere, you'll probably have to do something that explains how someone would go about getting that image - to here. Screen capture? I look forward to seeing more of it!

Yea, as to my knowledge the option to save things directly from Flash projects is not possible, so it will be up to the user to somehow capture the image themselves. I will most likely add a tutorial inside the program to help people learn how to do it.

And thanksfor the feedback Dexla :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very simple UI which, for something like this you don't need anything fancy. I'm looking forward to seeing this with more options of course. You could even invite some of the regular avatar artists to design special features, like maybe a face or background or accessories or something. The possibilities and potential with this are near infinite, and I know it can be a great learning experience for you as well.

My ultimate goal is simplicity, after all the goal of the program is to make getting a customized avatar easy :). & i would LOVE for anyone to contribute! I'm currently starting my firs year at University and the workload is pretty time consuming so it wouldn't only add to the variety but it would also speed up the process and help me save time.

My question though is would/could you charge for something like this and how could you harness income from this, if that's what you are looking to do. Programming this could take lots of valuable time, and if it takes off (like I know it could), folks can be very demanding asking for certain off the wall features.

As of now profit isn't really an interest of mine, I enjoy programming things like this and to be completely honest, I'm learning as I go, I'm only a few weeks into my programming classes so this isn't only helping me learn NEW things but its a pretty good way to study and remember material I'm currently learning.

With this said I can't promise anything. I truly do WANT to provide this community (one which I love) this program but completing it can be very time consuming and since i barely have any free time as it is, I can't spend too much time on it.

Thanks for the feedback treese, it makes me glad to know there are some people interested in this! :D
Bucklewheat of Sage
[Sep 22, 2010 7:20:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CaptainFreez

Thats really an easy way to solve; just create a high amount of assets like hobbies where the personalization level is really high. A text input field will be needed, but thats easily done in flash ^^

And somewhere, you'll probably have to do something that explains how someone would go about getting that image - to here. Screen capture? I look forward to seeing more of it!

Yea, as to my knowledge the option to save things directly from Flash projects is not possible, so it will be up to the user to somehow capture the image themselves. I will most likely add a tutorial inside the program to help people learn how to do it.

Well you can by hooking up a external PHP linked to your flash application.. I've looked it up on google quickly and this tutorial (link here ) will probably help you..

Don't forget to program your flash app by the use of external actionscript files to make things easy. In that case we could refer to the images by just uploading the possibilities from an assets folder, saving you a serious amount of time! than artists would just have to drop their stuff in the right folder like a parrot image in the folder /assets/accesories/pets/parrots/

It would be awsome if you would make it an open source project, where other programmers can join in to make the application become pure awsomness ;)

When it comes to interface, you might want to take a look to this link . Its a similiar application that will create a female character, but the interface is really nice done..

Anyway, Good luck with it matey!
Don't hesitate to ask if you're stuck ;)

Grtz!
Fatdragon
Fleet Officer of The Mystery Fleet
Member and 'Minister of the Arts' of -Tenacity-
Hunter ocean
"Uses a paint brush as a sword"

-Tenacity- avatar by me! ^^
[Sep 26, 2010 3:37:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tylur

Thanks CaptainFreez! I'm definitely going to look into that tutorial for exporting the image as a jpeg, that would be incredibly useful!

and currently I'm not using external action script files :S, although i know i should be! Only because for the longest time I've taught myself AS so I wasn't aware of the ability, so I'm more comfortable with it. I do know it's a lot easier and I'll probably try to switch to that since i know the coding is taking much longer than necessary.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As of now I wont be posting much more about this program until i have all of the fundamentals done, which may take awhile, AT LEAST a month. I will however still be checking this thread every now and again to see peoples ideas, so keep them coming!

Thanks everyone!
Bucklewheat of Sage
[Sep 26, 2010 2:53:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ezmerelda_M

That's really cute! Well done =D

I would LOVE if I could involve artwork from many artist, to add to the variety. please let me know if you'd be interested!

I can make some if you want =) I think it's an awesome idea!!!
~~~ Adrielle, Ezzleart and Enfyz ~~~
... (& @AmazinAdrielle on Twitter) ...
[Sep 26, 2010 4:48:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://amazingadrielle.webs.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Hullbreak

Maybe it would be worthwhile to join up with the ScenePainter project. There is some development going on it, too(at least there is an announcement for it on the homepage).

ScenePainter uses OOO's rendering system, so most of media loading/processing infrastructure is already taken care of. What would be needed is artwork and user interface.

Pros:
* Tested technology, able to easily handle hundreds of individual components from which to build avatars.
* The recoloring system leverages the problem with producing many duplicates even further.

Cons:
* Does not provide the same amount of freedom for placing components on the canvas as the flash approach does (every part of the face has, like in portraits, a fixed position - you could have different sets of eyes, but your could not place them below the mouth, for example).
Have a laugh

Make your own comics
[Sep 26, 2010 5:57:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tylur

I can make some if you want =) I think it's an awesome idea!!!

Thank you Ezmerelda M :D, Send me a private message if you'd like to contribute and I'll give you some more details.

@Hullbreak

I'll take a look at it, but I'm definitely gonna continue with this. I don't want to get too serious with this type of thing so i think developing something on my own time is the best way to go.

Keep the feedback coming everyone! i love it all :)

ps. I think i'm going to post another update this week some time. just because i've made some big changes and looking back at the most recent one i have now i don't feel its very impressive. perhaps once a week i'll post my progress regardless of how little it is??

again, thanks everyone :)
Bucklewheat of Sage
[Sep 26, 2010 7:02:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates