• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13309 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Dylan

How to lie with (food) statistics, anno 2010 Reply to this Post

From http://michaelbluejay.com/veg/protein.html:

In any event, whether you think our needs are closer to 2.5% or 10%, you can see from the chart that it's nearly impossible to fail to get enough protein, provided that you make sure to eat food. Every single whole plant food has more than 2.5% protein, and they all have more than 10% except for fruit. Protein is one of the easiest nutrients to get.

I'm going to ignore the question of what you think needs are in percent, but 200 (10%-ish) calories of protein is 50 grams.

One of the vegetables which this person uses to make their argument is iceberg lettuce. 100 grams of it has 3.2 grams of carbohydrates, and 0.9 of proteins. There is no way I can get the protein calories up to over 25% given that (I'm using http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2476/2 as a reference) but let us accept that getting both proteins and calories is important to life, and also accept every vegetarian thing this person is saying, and all the science too.

There is just one small problem, and that is that Dylan can do sums. 100g of iceberg lettuce has around 14 calories. It is mostly water. It is quite tasty and crunchy, but get 2000 calories out if it, you would need to eat more than 14 kilos of the stuff.

I mean, I'm quite a heavy beer drinker, which increases my calories more than my proteins probably, but that would quadruple the amount of peeing required, as it were, should that be my diet. 14 kilos of lettuce. Every day. And several of the other veggies listed are similarly watery (cukes, tomatoes, celery)

Now all those veggies are awesome, even peas, heck even Brussel sprouts, but they are not only nutritious but FILLING. Which means at a certain point you won't want to eat any more because you've not only been nutrited but also effectively had 5-10 pints of water per meal without taking a sip.

This article cites 19 different sources. Yet by a single bullcannon claim - a true one! - it utterly fails the common sense test. Hint: DO NOT USE water-lettuce to boost yer average fer protein levels in veggies. This is on a par in stupidity level with suggesting that just because 7-UP isn't alcoholic you can still get drunk on it if you have at least 50 litres.

Anyway, this post is an attempt to get you to think critically, and even though I've only given a single example (lettuce) unrelated to this game, and even though most Shore Leave readers probably already know how to, I dedicate this thread to those who think that "the game is dying". (What colour?)
[Jan 22, 2010 7:02:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Luther8

Re: How to lie with (food) statistics, anno 2010 Reply to this Post

Good sleuth work mate. Here's a stat based thing I laughed at when I heard it.

It ( apparently ) can be asserted statistically that marriage is the cause of divorce as all of the latter begin with the former and there seems to be no other concrete factor in 100% of cases!!
----------------------------------------
Luckylad of Midnight
[Jan 22, 2010 9:00:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Indeed

Oh! The one that makes me giggle all the time is the car insurance commercial where they guy tells you, "X is supposed to be the cheap insurance, but Y% of those who switched, got a better rate with us." Note the "of those who switched." Because the ones who weren't quoted a cheaper rate DIDN'T SWITCH!
Dmentia says, "It thrills me when Indeed is mean."
SomeIdiot tells you, "I am muting you, because you're unnormal, maybe you're hurt in real life"
Quoth Rubby, "There's something wrong with your brain."

[Jan 22, 2010 9:17:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.goonbunnies.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Smackey

Statistics will show you that the average human has one testicle.

Edit: Wow, Dylan, we're in agreement. That article is terrible and filled with typical vegan and vegetarian propaganda and bad dieting advice. You'll get better dieting tips from junkies than these strange and silly vegetarians.

If 10% of your calories are from protein, you would barely be able to retain the muscle you have. 2.5% is just borderline deadly. You'd look sick and ugly, and after you drained all of your muscle, you'll have a lovely body fat percentage in the 40's or higher. Even if you don't look obese, you might as well be since you'll suffer the same health consequences.

Wow, I'm still upset.
"There is all the difference in the world between treating people equally and attempting to make them equal."- Friedrich Hayek
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Smackey at Jan 23, 2010 12:28:40 PM]
[Jan 23, 2010 11:39:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheRack

Oh! The one that makes me giggle all the time is the car insurance commercial where they guy tells you, "X is supposed to be the cheap insurance, but Y% of those who switched, got a better rate with us." Note the "of those who switched." Because the ones who weren't quoted a cheaper rate DIDN'T SWITCH!

Ha - I had a friend of mine tart about how she applied to a low cost insurance provider, and they refused insurance.

HELLO - THEY GET TO BE LOW COST BY REFUSING TO INSURE HIGH RISK PEOPLE!
Cephalopod, on poker, wrote: 
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: it isn't rigged.

Period. End of story.

[Jan 23, 2010 5:57:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CarlosBones

Wow, that entire website is awful.

The most common cause of choking deaths is eating meat. (source) Real carnivores and omnivores don't have that problem.
Right...

The largest land animals in the world, elephants, are exclusively vegetarian. They grow up to 10,000 pounds, by eating nothing but plant matter.
Yeah, and they also have forage for 16 hours a day to eat 300-600 pounds of food every day to survive.

MYTH: "Beans are a good source of protein." Fact: There is no such thing as a special "source of protein" because all foods -- even plants -- have plentiful protein. You might as well say "Food is a good source of protein". In any event, beans (28%) don't average much more protein per calorie than common vegetables (23%).
God I hope no one actually takes advice from this website, although considering the health of most vegetarians I know they probably are. (Yeah anecdotes!) I had a room mate who would eat two meals a day: always a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, and for dinner either scalloped potatoes, a bit of minute rice with microwaved broccoli with some soy sauce, popcorn, or a ton of red vines licorice. She was always shivering and cold, her hair was falling out, and was sick with the flu in February and was still symptomatic by the time she moved out in June. Clearly she was not at all affected by the lack of protein in her diet and everyone would do well to eat like this.
Mccannibal
Riot
[Jan 23, 2010 11:51:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

God I hope no one actually takes advice from this website, although considering the health of most vegetarians I know they probably are. (Yeah anecdotes!) I had a room mate who would eat two meals a day: always a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch, and for dinner either scalloped potatoes, a bit of minute rice with microwaved broccoli with some soy sauce, popcorn, or a ton of red vines licorice. She was always shivering and cold, her hair was falling out, and was sick with the flu in February and was still symptomatic by the time she moved out in June. Clearly she was not at all affected by the lack of protein in her diet and everyone would do well to eat like this.

I'm not even a vegetarian and I get more vegetables a day than she does. Cold and shivery sounds like anemia. Slow to recover from the flu could be caused by all sorts of malnutrition, but it's probably a general lack of vitamins. She might even have scurvy, arr!
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Jan 24, 2010 7:25:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

She might even have scurvy, arr!

There speaks somebody at no risk from rickets!
[Jan 24, 2010 9:57:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates