• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 195
Posts: 195   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 28809 times and has 194 replies Next Thread
jlgijsbers

Re: Spades-palooza [Dial-up Warning. Many images within.] Reply to this Post

Whitefire wrote: 
Basic Bidding Strategy: Part 2

Hand 3

The A♠ and the two K's are all winners. You may be able to convert the Q♥ or the middling Spades into another trick.

Whitefire's Bid - 3, 4 if you know how to control the A♠

I've seen you refer to controlling/knowing how to play the A♠ a few times in this thread. What do you mean by this?
----------------------------------------
Blinkoing
Walking with pumas in Bolivia. Ex-cabin person of DyD.
[Apr 8, 2005 12:24:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jlgijsbers [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

jlgijsbers wrote: 
Whitefire wrote: 
Basic Bidding Strategy: Part 2

The A♠ and the two K's are all winners. You may be able to convert the Q♥ or the middling Spades into another trick.

Whitefire's Bid - 3, 4 if you know how to control the A♠

I've seen you refer to controlling/knowing how to play the A♠ a few times in this thread. What do you mean by this?

I'm guessing he means not playing it when you don't have to. A lot of players are reluctant to throw those high spades earlier in the game for fear of being trumphed by the ace. So if you lead out with a lower spade and the next player has the king or queen they may not throw it because they think your partner could have the ace. If your partner is one to pick up on these kinds of things they may throw their high spade to take the trick. But it's still a gamble.
[Apr 8, 2005 12:35:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

stevedave wrote: 
Piplicus_BNO wrote: 
This hand just rocks.

What did you bid? I'm thinking 6 or 7 based on what the other bids were.

The bids were Nil, Nil (Partner), 2.

I bid 9 and made 11.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Apr 8, 2005 1:02:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

jlgijsbers wrote: 

The A♠ is the most powerful card in the game. People will avoid tossing high spades and wait out the A's appearance. Knowing this, you can bluff people into letting grab an extra 1-2 tricks with a middling or honor spade.

Another advantage is when you can communicate to your partner that you have the A♠. There are many tells, but the most common is to lead a low spade when you have the A♠. When you and your partner know the placement of the honor cards, you can run a ruff on spades and wipe out your opponents, making a set likely. I can't give a specific example without all 4 hands to analyze, so if I ever stop being lazy I'll put up the tutorial on this.
[Apr 8, 2005 6:03:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vanyel

Ran into this hand as first bidder. I didn't want to nil because all the suits have 9 or higher as the second lowest card... thoughts?

Edit because picture isn't showing up: 3TJQ hearts, 59TKA clubs, 59JQ diamonds, null spades

I then ran into this hand immediately afterwards (due to only needing 80 points to win and my partner bidding 4, I only bid 4, but I'm curious to know what people think it could make in other situations).
Bids: Left opponent 2, Partner 4, Right opponent 1.

Edit because picture isn't showing up: 3689TK spades, 2A hearts, 2569T clubs, null diamonds

For the people who would like to know how it turned out:

On the first hand I bid 3, my partner bid 6, and we made 11 total. (partner had the spade length)
On the second hand I bid 4 for the win, and we made 12 total, ducking one to the 10 of diamonds to avoid bagging. (partner had a void club suit)
Broney, Captain of Black Plague on Viridian
Prince of Moros de Mindanao
[Apr 14, 2005 6:02:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Broney314    Broney [Link]  Go to top 
jlgijsbers

Whitefire wrote: 
jlgijsbers wrote: 

The A♠ is the most powerful card in the game. People will avoid tossing high spades and wait out the A's appearance. Knowing this, you can bluff people into letting grab an extra 1-2 tricks with a middling or honor spade.

It seems like this is called a Finesse. More for the glossary.
Blinkoing
Walking with pumas in Bolivia. Ex-cabin person of DyD.
[Apr 17, 2005 12:08:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jlgijsbers [Link]  Go to top 
Rastigi

Vanyel wrote: 
On the second hand I bid 4 for the win, and we made 12 total, ducking one to the 10 of diamonds to avoid bagging. (partner had a void club suit)

I'd have bid at least 5-6 on that hand. Its gorgeous.
Bubbablue,
SO of Bubba Gump Shrimpin' Co.
Vote Bubba for President in '08, cause Shrimpin' is Great!
Cleaver wrote: 
Anything else? Please don't say, 'Make everything FREEEEEE!!1!!'

[Apr 18, 2005 2:29:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ed315

Wahhhh!
Aschen

Nemo wrote: 
Actually, when I suggested it months ago, Cleaver told me not to. So, this time I didn't tell him.

[Apr 23, 2005 6:59:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vanyel

ed315 wrote: 

Wahhhh!

2. The singleton will likely get you a spade trump and the Aspades is a winner.

Worse would be if that singleton was in spades instead.

But yeah, wahhhh.
Broney, Captain of Black Plague on Viridian
Prince of Moros de Mindanao
[Apr 23, 2005 7:23:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Broney314    Broney [Link]  Go to top 
ed315

But without the Ace, it's an almost perfect nil hand.
Aschen

Nemo wrote: 
Actually, when I suggested it months ago, Cleaver told me not to. So, this time I didn't tell him.

[Apr 23, 2005 7:44:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GageKronos

ed315 wrote: 

Wahhhh!

I hate hands like that. :(
~Gage
Pirate of A Crew of Our Own (Viridian)

A+ C P- LB-| GD+ !D Cp+ Bl+>++ Sa++ Gu++ SF+ N+ Bn>++ Dr+>++ R+ Al++ Sh B-(--) F++ Cl(++) Sp++ SpN+(++)/+
[Apr 24, 2005 5:26:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

You can get 2, possibly 3 tricks out of that hand.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Apr 24, 2005 6:54:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

*bumping for re-sticky*

I'll edit this later with a ruffing tutorial.
[Dec 2, 2005 3:27:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hydranoisp

I got this hand a couple of hours ago. My partner, Pyro, bid 1 even though he could have nilled along with Missthang. I wish I got the hand at the beginning instead of the score, though. I had the ace, king, queen, jack, and a few more spades, and only one heart.

I am large sour fire to make.

Lotsofgoats tells you, "Big metallic 10 year old boys turn me on."
[Sep 17, 2006 10:39:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hiicantpk

This hand just rocks.

If i had this hand, i would bid 8 or possibly 9.
I would try to get into my spades suit asap and by the time you lead the queen of spades, almost everyone at the table will be out of spades, and you can go nuts leading with every spade you have and knowing you will win.

Then after your spades fest, you could possibly win one or two with your queens and king asuming you havn't already used em.
[Dec 31, 2008 9:14:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 195   Pages: 7   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates