• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 30
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2872 times and has 29 replies Next Thread
Male Guest
Suggestion: Ingame clock Reply to this Post

Have an ingame clock, so you know what time it is when you're playing. Conquering the high seas at 3:00am before work at 8:00am isn't quite a good idea. It helps some with only 800x600, where the taskbar is hidden by the piratey portal. Yaargh!
[Aug 8, 2003 6:37:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
ShadowDancer

Re: Suggestion: Ingame clock Reply to this Post

i 100% agree with the idea of an in-game clock! I am always getting in trouble for not going to bed at the right time cause i get so wrapped up in the game i forget about time!
[Aug 10, 2003 8:13:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    diablo_player175    StarsMember267 [Link]  Go to top 
Prenexus

How would this work?

Local time at San Fran? Your personal PC clock?

I play from Australia, so having a clock based on San Francisco time would be quite good to work out why everyone is leaving the servers to go to bed just when I start playing ;-)
[Aug 10, 2003 8:31:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I have a clock on my screen in the lower right. I don't think I have some special version of Windows available only to me.
[Aug 10, 2003 1:53:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Prenexus

Some people play full screen, others play with the Task Bar "shrunk" so you cant see the clock.

Still others would like a clock to show "Pirates Standard Time" so we could get an idea of what time it really is ;-)
[Aug 10, 2003 2:07:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

If you can't be bothered to either unhide your task bar now and then, or look at another clock somewhere in the room, I don't think that the Ringers should be asked to help you control your addiction. IMO.
----------------------------------------
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jethro

If anything, they'd want to keep it the way it is, especially once this goes commercial.
Jethro - Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
Jethykins - Cook of the Salty Mouthfuls and certainly not Jethro in drag. Oh no. Not at all. Nope.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JGulner [Link]  Go to top 
Prenexus

I still think it would be nice to have a clock so we could work out a common time for crews to be online.

Given that this is supposed to be a worldwide game, and not just based on the US West coast, its sometimes hard to find the right time to meet up with your crews and friends - an ingame clock would help immensly.

Just my oppinion though - people living in the US will probably disagree as its easy to work out time differences. Try it from Australia, or Europe and it becomes a lot harder ;-)
[Aug 11, 2003 7:31:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

I totally agree...Not a local clock thats kinda bloat, but more like a YPP standardized time. Maybe even correspond to the game time? Like estimated time remaining and all? Also so that crews could link up for tourneys and sich. Love that idea.
[Aug 11, 2003 7:41:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Bah. Not enough people use GMT. There's no reason to have a clock inside this game application. I can't think of any other game that I've ever played in my life that has a built-in clock (that's not saying that there aren't any, only that I haven't played them).

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Aug 11, 2003 7:48:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

I loved Warlords 3 and its expansion because there was a built-in real-time clock. It always helps in a turn-based game to know just how long you've been playing...
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Aug 11, 2003 8:12:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
saynata

cmdrzoom wrote: 
If you can't be bothered to either unhide your task bar now and then, or look at another clock somewhere in the room, I don't think that the Ringers should be asked to help you control your addiction. IMO.

Harsh, and the reason that I don't play full screen (well, that and it hurts my head to see my character at full 1152x800, or whatever high resolution I use.

Is it possible to set your time to have it corrolate, but have a YPP! time too? I know that the list is packed, but there's always room for sundry things, right? :)
[size=9] Saynata, Captain and Supreme So-and-So of The Sirens; Former Mistress of the ol' Sew 'n' Sew.
[Aug 11, 2003 8:18:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraken

Personally, I think an in-game clock would be very useful. Its not that hard to do either, since you can poll the system clock, its very easy.
In fact, its just

new Time(System.getTimeMillis()).toString()

to get the current time in a readable format (hh:mm:ss).. You could even get the current timezone of the system and offset every in-game clock to GMT, which would make telling the time easier, organizing crew meet times easier, and make us all better at telling the time based on GMT, which is a handy skill to have when talking to people from all over the world.
Gorth

Midnight:
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.

Azure:
-Owner of Spring Blade Iron Monger on Spring Island.
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.
[Aug 12, 2003 10:44:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Clocks be unpiratey.

The only game clock that I would like to see is an actual clock tower in towns, that you can click on to see the Pirate Mean Time. Kinda useless, except for "meet me at the Alpha clock tower at 12:30", but atmospheric. An omnipresent clock is, to my mind, not good. Pirates don't have wristwatches, wall clocks, alarm clocks, or taskbars, so if you who DO have them can't be bothered to use any of them . . .
[Aug 13, 2003 12:38:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Whiplash

One possibility could be a new slash command:

/time

This could give ye the current time where your computer is placed or a PMT (Pirate Mean Time) as stated by Hommullus. I'm sure this would not be too hard to implement.

As an after thought, if say there was a PMT fer example, what is the possibilty of having day and night. Now I know this would be a major overhaul in the graphics and such but it could present a whole new aspect for the game for future use.

Say for instance brigands come out in force at night but these ones could be special skellie brigands (ye know like Pirates of the Caribbean) just a thought. Like I said it would be a major project but something te consider fer the future.

Dmentia bows to the wisdom of Whiplash.

[Aug 13, 2003 1:45:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I suggested day and night cycles back in December.

They (the artists) would have to re-draw absolutely EVERYTHING, probably doubling the file size . . . . and look what happens when a bunch of people are on the docks: your computer chugs trying to draw all those people. Imagine what would happen when it began to get dark, and your computer had load a new screen on top of the people! Laaaaaaaagggggg.
[Aug 14, 2003 12:30:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
MMM

Maybe not the level of surrounding illumination but we could have street lamps (candle light in the old days) to differentiate day/night. Perhaps, time runs 3x faster in game as compared to real life. (3 game days eqv. 1 real day)
BM
Lady of Apparel Barrel
Snr. Officer of ARR, Old Spice
Master Mariner of Skillful Mackerel
ARR!: All Rates Reserved!
[Aug 14, 2003 6:28:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

It might be possible to just put an alpha-20 -or-so-% filter over the graphics, so everything's uniformly darker. Not sure if there's any alpha code in PP, but if there is, it won't be that hard to do.

Performance issues are a bit of a problem hough, but it would at least make things darker for little cost in graphics.

Matt
I took my own advice.
[Aug 14, 2003 7:10:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I'd rather have everything currently on The List ahead of this.

My original idea was that some buildings would actually close, getting people to move to other locations, but when I suggested it, Alpha Dock was THE place to hang out, in addition to really being the ONLY place to hang out.

Obviously, things have changed a little.
[Aug 14, 2003 7:13:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

I agree, I'd rather have most everything else on the list before I saw lighting changes added.

However, he does have a point. Something like that could work to simulate darkness. Ever see how they did night time in Ultima Online? It just darkened the play area, and it worked out fine. Eventually they even got light "auras" working (basically areas without the dark cover), for people using torches and lamps.

I have no idea if the YPP engine could support this, though.
[Aug 14, 2003 7:28:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Gergilator

There should be a universal Puzzle Pirates time. So instead of having to wonder what time zone the clock is in, or having to worry about subtracting or adding time to fit your time, there should be a Puzzle Pirates time. So a person in Sweden could check the clock and it would say 2:00 p.m. and a person in the United States would check the clock and it would say 2:00 p.m. also. Everyone would see the same time, so if you wanted to go pillaging at say 3:00 p.m. everyone would know that was in one hour without having to do any real math. I would greatly appreciate that over a clock of just your time.
[Aug 14, 2003 7:37:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

I seriously doubt the YPP engine could handle lighting changes, that's some pretty substantial coding, and I doubt it was put in. To create night time, most likely every image would have to be redrawn by the artists with the lighting changes manually done. You can see how long this would take, and I don't think the artists would be too happy with having to do that =P
[Aug 14, 2003 8:04:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Gergilator wrote: 
There should be a universal Puzzle Pirates time. So instead of having to wonder what time zone the clock is in, or having to worry about subtracting or adding time to fit your time, there should be a Puzzle Pirates time. So a person in Sweden could check the clock and it would say 2:00 p.m. and a person in the United States would check the clock and it would say 2:00 p.m. also. Everyone would see the same time, so if you wanted to go pillaging at say 3:00 p.m. everyone would know that was in one hour without having to do any real math. I would greatly appreciate that over a clock of just your time.

It's a nice idea - but to check the time & see if you're going to be around at that time, you'd have to log on and find out how many hours ahead/behind "your" time the Puzzle Pirates time was so that you could work out when to play...kinda like adding/subtracting hours from GMT anyway. I'm on GMT which probably makes it slightly easier, but it's not that difficult to work out that if someone will be on PST to add 8 hours, or EST to add 5 hours to my timezone. If there's a tournament which starts at 11am PST on Sunday evening, I know to log on at 7 pm - if Puzzle Pirates time is 11am and my time is 7pm it isn't really going to make life any easier to calculate if I'm not playing at that precise time (and I forget the "timezone" and have to start up the game to check what time it is it will make it harder...)
[Aug 14, 2003 2:08:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prenexus

It would however, solve the problem of

"Ill meet you at 2pm"
"Is that 2pm EST? PST? GMT?"

Being from Australia, I would find it extremely beneficial to have a pirates standard time - 1 time zone to have to track against mine, instead of 5 or 6.
[Aug 14, 2003 2:11:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaejer

Clock in game is something that wouldn't really be needed but it can be helpful I guess sometimes. I use the windows clock always seems to be right time for me, but I know some people use full screen. So you could have the clock an optional thing, like full screen or windows box. Clock or no clock. It just loads up when you restart whether you have a clock or not. Just a thought.

PS - What time do you get back your job/foraging hours? midnight? and what time zone? Thanks 8)
Dragons are kool.
Fear the dragon of pixels. Roar.
[Aug 14, 2003 3:36:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/cloudstrife60    Kaejer1 [Link]  Go to top 
Wesley

On the issue of time. Reply to this Post

Gotagota wrote: 
I loved Warlords 3 and its expansion because there was a built-in real-time clock. It always helps in a turn-based game to know just how long you've been playing...

Another good one for those ideas is Master of Orion 3. It actually has optional in-game alarms that let you know when you've been playing for two hours, or when it's 0800 and you have to be at work in five minutes.
-- Kyran, of the Burlap Lemurs

Ohhhhhhhhh! We've got this notion that we'd quite like to sail the ocean so we're building a big ship to leave here for good!
[Aug 16, 2003 6:05:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
roxyg63

Re: On the issue of time. Reply to this Post

This thread is ancient and it never was changed!!!!

It would help players so much to know what the hell game time is when we are playing on our own time zones! Some of us play on full screens and don't want to look at our wrist watches and and/or subtract hours from our own time zones.

We should have a Puzzle Pirate time clock in the bottom of our windows so we know what "game time" is. Plus as a bonus we should include our characters time zone ( in our character info page) so others could figure out when they can in touch with us. This is so important so we can actually get in touch with other Pirates about issues about the threads they post in these forums! (Buying/Selling stuff and what not) we should know what times they can get on the game!

I don't think telling someone about what time zone you live in is Personal, it's a way for us to organize and communicate with each other online!

I hope some one reads this and this wasn't in vain, because it's a good idea.

I've edited the post so that it is in normal size and colored text. - Faulkston
I lift my goblet of Rum and say "Cheers" to all my Hearties, both lost and remaining.

- Twistedroxy on Viridian (mainly)
~Avatar by Indagold, found on Deviant Art~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Faulkston at Sep 18, 2007 7:46:44 PM]
[Sep 18, 2007 7:41:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Wow, bump from the depths!

Use the /info command for game time.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Sep 18, 2007 7:47:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Feegle

For the first part, type /info.
- Feegs

Senior Officer of the Ransack Marauders, Midnight Ocean
Disciple of Artemis
[Sep 18, 2007 7:48:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://feegle.mathninja.com    jeffmahood    FeeglePoet [Link]  Go to top 
ssandv

For the second part, you can meet people's avatars and talk to them and ask them where they live. It's all social and stuff that way, and you'll still know their time zone. It's about 8 hours from the US west coast (YPP time) to Western Europe, and about 8 hours the other way to Eastern Australia. That should get you within an hour or three of most people playing. (Don't forget about the date line)

YPP doesn't need to duplicate functionality already available on your computer desktop. Microsoft (and I suspect many others) offer a tray widget for windows that displays multiple time zones. I'd be awfully surprised if you couldn't get the same thing for other platforms.
Darksand (back again!)
Obsidian: Peace and Quiet-Chaos
Midnight (rarely): Forbidden Dreams-Dies Irae
Leif wrote: 
I understand you'll ignore this as it doesn't support your paranoia.

[Sep 19, 2007 8:07:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates