• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 3
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 545 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
OldSmurf

Marking channels in logfile

Hello,

I would find it very helpfull if in the chat log the different channels would be marked, to see on with channel something happend, in normal chat you have the colors, but in the log you can't see the different channels anymore.

Example:

old: [18:14:19] Yer Fish has worn out and crumbles to dust.
new:[18:14:19][G] Yer Fish has worn out and crumbles to dust.

[G] game channel

or

[18:14:25][C] Oldsmurf says, "Ahoy Crew"

[C]rew

I think you can imagine the rest like [V]essel, [J]obbing, [F]lag, [O]fficer ....

Thanks for reading
Oldsmurf
[Jan 17, 2009 4:35:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Re: Marking channels in logfile

I would find it very helpfull if in the chat log the different channels would be marked, to see on with channel something happend, in normal chat you have the colors, but in the log you can't see the different channels anymore.

I agree, this would be helpful.

Some of the channels you can determine by parsing the record for things like "<name> flag officer chats, ", but others can not be distinguished. For example, typing "/me forced Cleaver to walk the plank." will show up in the log exactly as if I actually forced someone to walk the plank. This messes up my log parsing scripts, and I suspect things like Quartermaster.

An unambiguous way of determining multi-line chats would be nice too. The rants that the bots on the cursed isles messed up my scripts also. I've added some code that correctly determines which lines have an embedded newline that gets it right about 99% of the time, but it is a pain.

Putting the channel tag on the very end of the line instead of right after the timestamp might break fewer scripts, but either place would work for me.
----------------------------------------
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Jan 17, 2009 5:55:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Re: Marking channels in logfile

Welcome to Game Design. Please read the announcement thread for the rules.

There are many resources which may be helpful:
  • The List of ideas already given approval by the Game Developers. However this is not a delivery schedule and as the game gets updated, some of the ideas may become obsolete or unnecessary.
  • The Anti-list of ideas disapproved by the Game Developers. Note that they're not totally ruled out but the Game Developers often had some fairly strong objections. Any discussion on such ideas should start by addressing these objections, although the Game Developers are fairly firm on philosophical objections e.g. personal firearms in Puzzle Pirates.
  • Commonly discussed ideas is a fairly comprehensive listing of previously proposed ideas. Generally the Game Developers have not posted approvals or disapprovals of these ideas.
  • Search to see if your idea has come up before. You may prefer to use Google or some other search engine that you're more comfortable with. You can ask for help with searching in this thread:
    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=6605
    Generally you can expect a response within 24 hours, though hard to find answers to questions may take slightly longer.
If there's an existing discussion thread to reply to and it's older than a few months, be sure to call attention to the age of the thread. Putting the word "Bump" at the start of your reply will do.

Have a look at this discussion:
Chat (Idea Links):Logs:Distinguish between chat channels better

Faulkston,
:-)
----------------------------------------
[Jan 17, 2009 11:06:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates