• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 111
Posts: 111   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 11383 times and has 110 replies Next Thread
peax

Around Four Arches - Cutter Race | Win a familiar! (10/24) Reply to this Post

[size=12]First Cutter Race in the history of Midnight!

[size=9]Edit 1: Added that NPPs are allowed. Sell sugar cane to the markets. Sugar cane is provided by us. You're allowed to use only one character.
Edit 2: Added the market names. Fixed some minor details.
Edit 3: Added: Sell the sugar first then take the poe out at the last island.
Edit 4: Added the ship names.

Do you think you're good at soloing? Do you think you can jet through a fifty five league route before anyone else in the ocean? Then get yer Cutter and be ready to race!

Where: In four archipelagos (Diamond, Ruby, Pearl and Emerald)

Date: Sunday, October 24 2004 Noon PST.

Prize:
    First Place - a Monkey Familiar (winner gets to choose the colour)
    First - Eighth - Custom named sloops:
    - Speeding Spar
    - Travelling Travona
    - Pioneering Pike
    - Solo Soleil
    - Cutting Cutthroat
    - Quick Quillback
    - Swift Swinka
    - Enduring Endormi[/list:u:b634263433]
    According to your place you'll get to pick the name...First place picks first then second and so on...

*Big thanks to -Crystalclaws and -Artemis for coming up with such great names!*

Registration: 2 hours before the event. 10AM PST Xaep and Ajax are going to be online. All you have to do is send one of us a tell and we'll invite you join the crew.

Rules: Please make sure that you read the rules carefully, if you have any questions please reply to this thread, PM or send a /tell to Artemis or Peax.

Getting Ready:
    - To prevent any cheating, in order to participate in the race you will need to join Ajax's crew (Jacking A's). The character that you use doesn't have to be your main, it can be your alt. When you join Jacking A's you should hold a deed to one cutter that you're going to use in the race. Your character should have NO other ships on him/her, just that cutter.The cutter should be already ported at the starting island and have your name in the Officer Notice Board.
    - You will be promoted to Officer once you join. You're NOT allowed to transfer anything from anyone's ship without their permission. If we find you doing any kind of cheating you be out of the race.
    - Charts, rum, cutter, cannonballs are NOT going to be provided to you. You have about three weeks before the start of the race, you should be able to find everything you need.
    - We will provide a ship with Sugar Cane on each of 8 starting islands. So sometime before the race, you'll need to go on the ship and transfer 50 units of Sugar Cane to your cutter.
    - You are allowed to use NPPs.

Starting the Race
    - We will tell you when to start, at that point you should sell one (1) unit of Sugar Cane to the Market and then set sail (discussed in more detail further in the thread).

Brigands and PvP
    - During the course of the race, the participants are most likely to get attacked by brigands. So, if you get attacked please don't complain. It happens there isn't much we can do about it.
    - PvP will NOT be tolerated.

Giving up:
    -If anytime during the race, you decide not to continue the race anymore please leave Jacking A's or just send Ajax or Xaep a tell so we can expel you.

Finish
    - One you're done with the entire race, make sure to send Xaep or Ajax a tell right away.
    - At the very last island, you must sell the sugar to the market then take the remaining poe out of their hold. This will log the time with seconds in the log. Reminder: Sell the sugar first then take the poe out at the last island. Anyone who does not we will assume has the time X:XX:59.

Which route do I take?
    - To make this easier and avoid lag, we decided to let you choose which route you're going to take. There are four routes, you choose only one that you're going to sail though. You may also choose to sail the same route just in the opposite direction. For example you can sail Gaea - Alpha, Guava - Byrne, Emperror - Turtle and Epsilon - Papaya.

Route One: Alpha -> Jorvik -> Eta -> Cranbery -> Islay of Luthien -> Zeta -> Ostreum -> Gaea. Or Gaea -> Ostreum -> Zeta -> Islay of Luthien -> Cranberry -> Eta -> Jorvik -> Alpha.
    - Start on Alpha (Gaea) - sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market
    - Stop at Jorvik (Ostreum) and sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market.
    - Sail to Eta (Zeta) - sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market.
    - Sail to Cranberry (Islay of Luthien) - sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market.
    - Chart back and sail to Islay of Luthien (Cranberry) - sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market.
    - Stop at Zeta (Eta) - sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market.
    - Stop at Ostreum (Jorvik) - sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market.
    - Sail to Gaea (Alpha) and sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market. Finish!

Route Two: Byrne -> Jorvik -> Eta -> Cranberry -> Islay of Luthien -> Zeta -> Ostreum -> Guava. OR Guava -> Ostreum -> Zeta -> Islay of Luthien -> Cranberry -> Eta -> Jorvik -> Byrne.
    - Start on Byrne (Guava) - sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market
    - Stop at Jorvik (Ostreum) and sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market
    - Sail to Cranberry (Islay of Luthien) - sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market.
    - Chart back to Islay of Luthien (Cranberry) - sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market.
    - Sail to Guava (Byrne) and sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market. Finish!

Route Three: Turtle -> Jorvik -> Eta -> Cranberry -> Islay of Luthien -> Zeta -> Ostreum -> Emperror. OR Emperror -> Ostreum -> Zeta -> Islay of Luthien -> Cranberry -> Eta -> Jorvik -> Turtle.
    - Start on Turtle (Emperror) - sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market.
    - Chart back and sail to Islay of Luthien (Cranberry) - sell sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market.
    - Sail to Emperror (Turtle) and sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market. Finish!

Route Four: Papaya -> Jorvik -> Eta -> Cranberry -> Islay of Luthien -> Zeta -> Ostreum -> Epsilon. OR Epsilon -> Ostreum -> Zeta -> Islay of Luthien -> Cranberry -> Eta -> Jorvik -> Papaya.
    - Start on Papaya (Epsilon) - sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market.
    - Chart back and sail to Islay of Luthien (Cranberry) - sell sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market.
    - Sail to Epsilon (Papaya) and sell one (1) unit of Sugar cane to the Market. Finish!

Islands and Markets

Alpha - Alpha Market
      Byrne - Once in a Lifetime Market
      Cranberry - Flea Market
      Emperor - Nero Profits
      Epsilon - Free Market
      Eta - Eta Market
      Guava - Spice Market
      Gaea - Gaea's Greens
      Islay of Luthien - Shire and Shire Alike
      Jorvik - Merchant of Vanir
      Ostreum - Fort Knightly
      Papaya - Papaya Market
      Turtle - Turtle Market
      Zeta - Artemis's Distilling Stall[/list:u:b634263433]
      **If for some reason any of the following shoppes/stalls/markets aren't buying, you should report it to Ajax or Xaep, but you may sell it to a shoppe on the island (preferably the palace, but no stalls!)**

I'd like to thank Artemis for planning such a great even and letting me help her. I've had so much fun planning, I hope you have as much fun participating. See you all on Sunday :).

[size=8]Note: I reserve the right to edit my spelling errors and change the rules if such need arises.
      ----------------------------------------
      'Beauty is truth, truth beauty, that is all
      Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.
      (-Keats)
      [Edit 5 times, last edit by peax at Oct 3, 2004 3:11:06 AM]
[Oct 3, 2004 3:11:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

Re: Around Four Arches - Cutter Race | Win a familiar! (10/24) Reply to this Post

There isn't a IM bazaar on Ostreum because it is an outpost. I'm not sure how Artemis will have a stall on that island.

Edit: I read all of the routes and both Epsilon and Papaya lack IM bazaars. I offer the IM shop I run on epsilon in place of Artemis's stall.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Whitefire at Oct 3, 2004 3:16:41 AM]
[Oct 3, 2004 3:16:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Re: Around Four Arches - Cutter Race | Win a familiar! (10/24) Reply to this Post

I bet somehow there will be
[Oct 3, 2004 3:29:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whitefire

I personally think it would be easier if we just sold it to the IM already built on Ostreum instead of having them put up and take down a bazaar. Although I have no clue what they'll do on Papaya.
[Oct 3, 2004 3:31:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
peax

Whitefire wrote: 
There isn't a IM bazaar on Ostreum because it is an outpost. I'm not sure how Artemis will have a stall on that island.

Edit: I read all of the routes and both Epsilon and Papaya lack IM bazaars. I offer the IM shop I run on epsilon in place of Artemis's stall.

Going there right now to check. If there are no IM's we could use Distilling stalls for those islands. Or just ask the owners of the shoppes if they could set their buy price for small cannonballs to 1 PoE. We just need to know when/if the participants hit the island, that's the transfers. Thank you, Whitefire :).
Still have three weeks to change things around.
(-Keats)
[Oct 3, 2004 3:34:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rasheed

Would there be anything wrong with charting the course with a main character and then sailing it with an alt?
[Oct 3, 2004 4:28:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PinkkBeard

Will participants be allowed to have NPPs onboard, or is this completely solo?
Homullus wrote: 
There are still myriad varieties of sucking that you can do

Thusnelda wrote: 
Pinkkbeard gets a gold star.

[size=9]Azure: Where'd everyone go?
[Oct 3, 2004 5:22:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

PinkkBeard wrote: 
Will participants be allowed to have NPPs onboard, or is this completely solo?

Ha ha! It's supposed to be with NPPs I think, but I vote it should be completely solo.

Though it'd be nigh impossible to make sure no one's using NPPs, eh?
[Oct 3, 2004 5:27:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rasheed

55 leagues on a cutter with no swabs, you sir, are mad
[Oct 3, 2004 5:33:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
peax

Hehe, of course with NPPs, I'm not that mad yet ;).
(-Keats)
[Oct 3, 2004 5:35:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PinkkBeard

I agree, I am completely mad, and also vote that no swabbies should be allowed. I am quite proud of my ability to get a ship from Alpha to Turtle in 20 minutes (Assuming I'm not engaged) without any swabbies.

You're right though, Shur, it'd be impossible to make sure unless a judge was on each and every ship, not participating, simple watching.
Homullus wrote: 
There are still myriad varieties of sucking that you can do

Thusnelda wrote: 
Pinkkbeard gets a gold star.

[size=9]Azure: Where'd everyone go?
[Oct 3, 2004 8:14:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jyn

Some questions about PvP...

1, PvP not being tolerated - will there be some mechanism to prevent non-participants PvPing?
2, If not - how will you prevent unscrupulous participants employing friends and/or mercenaries to hamper the competition?
Jyn
First Mate of British Sea Power, Midnight Ocean
[Oct 3, 2004 8:56:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
peax

rasheed wrote: 
Would there be anything wrong with charting the course with a main character and then sailing it with an alt?

Sorry, you aren't allowed to use more than one character. You can use your main for the race. Or just find the maps :).

PinkkBeard wrote: 
I agree, I am completely mad, and also vote that no swabbies should be allowed.

If you want you can sail without them, but since there is no way for us to check who is using swabbies and who isn't, swabbies are allowed to be used.
(-Keats)
[Oct 3, 2004 8:57:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Jyn wrote: 
Some questions about PvP...

1, PvP not being tolerated - will there be some mechanism to prevent non-participants PvPing?
2, If not - how will you prevent unscrupulous participants employing friends and/or mercenaries to hamper the competition?

There is no way to restrict PVP. I will be broadcasting every 15 minutes or so warning everyone NOT to PVP. I will not be lax in dishing out punishment to anyone who does manage to stop a contestant via. a PVP match, this goes for Contestants attacking other players as well.
[Oct 3, 2004 9:09:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

This sounds like an interesting contest. There are some details of the rules that I would like explicitly confirmed:

1) There are no restrictions on swabbies. We can hire and fire them as we wish, and assign them to any duty station.

2) There are no duty station restrictions. We can freely take navigation, sailing, carpentry, bilging, or gunnery as we like, and assign swabbies to any possible combination of other stations.

3) There are no cargo hold restrictions. We can freely load as much or as little of rum, shot, and cane as we like, or for that matter, yellow cloth, serandite, iron, and various other goods which are not useful in the race.

4) The particular route taken does not matter, but only reaching all of the checkpoints in the prescribed order. For example, someone could travel from Eta to Cranberry by going through Olivia and Midsummer, rather than the shorter, more direct route.

5) Goods are supposed to be sold to a commodities market at each island on the route. Ostreum, Zeta, Luthien, and Cranberry do not currently have commodities markets, but will (magicked-up if necessary) by the time of the event. The commodities markets will also be set to buy very large quantities of sugar cane.

6) Exactly 1 unit of sugar cane must be sold at each commodities market checkpoint. It is sugar cane and not cannonballs at the start as well, and the sentence under "Starting the Race" is mistaken.

7) A ship is allowed to have exactly one human player aboard, and no more. This will be actively monitored through /vwho to prevent cheating. If someone comes aboard a ship without permission, the owner of the ship should plank them first and let whoever is running the contest deal with it later.

8) Anyone who attacks another ship in a pvp battle will be disqualified. Anyone who is attacked pvp should immediately contact someone running the race or an OM who will disengage the ships and end the battle-nav.

9) The winner will be determined solely by who goes from the start to the finish while selling goods at the prescribed checkpoints in the least amount of time. The number of times attacked by brigands and the outcomes of those battles (win, loss, or retreat) will not be taken into account.

10) All four routes will be given equal weight, and there will be no time adjustment for taking one route over another. Players can pick whichever of the four routes and either direction at their preference.

Do I have all of that correct?
There is no "i" in "complex numbers".
[Oct 3, 2004 10:46:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
peax

Aye, Quizzical, you got them all correct. Except number 8, OMs have no power to end the battle, if someone gets PvPed by an outside ship (not in the contest) they'll have to find a way to end the battle quickly.
(-Keats)
[Oct 3, 2004 10:55:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

This sounds like an incredibly amazing event. I'm game :)
[Oct 3, 2004 11:12:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

What if, as a result of encounters, you run out of sugarcane before you've reached the final checkpoint?
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Oct 3, 2004 12:18:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
peax

AquaDrake wrote: 
What if, as a result of encounters, you run out of sugarcane before you've reached the final checkpoint?

There is no way that you'll run out of sugarcane... if you have 50 sugarcane on you and you get attacked 10 times, you'll still have more than 8 units left.
(-Keats)
[Oct 3, 2004 12:24:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

are we permitted to buy sugarcane?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Lizthegrey at Oct 4, 2004 1:39:52 AM]
[Oct 4, 2004 1:39:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
Whiplash

Is it only sugarcane that we are allowed to sell? Or just something in general to prove that we were at that island?

Dmentia bows to the wisdom of Whiplash.

[Oct 4, 2004 2:23:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
peax

lizthegrey wrote: 
are we permitted to buy sugarcane?

. If you run out of sugarcane which is higly unlikely, of course you're allowed to buy it. But if you lose 50 sugarcane that means you got atleast in 15 battles...if you got in so many battles it's likely that you've already lost the race...

Whiplash wrote: 
Is it only sugarcane that we are allowed to sell? Or just something in general to prove that we were at that island?

Aye, only sugarcane. Remember it will be provided to you.
(-Keats)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by peax at Oct 4, 2004 2:56:29 AM]
[Oct 4, 2004 2:56:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jyn

I think that if you think you can sail that route without getting engaged 15 times, you're wildly optimistic. I solo cutters around Ruby all the time, and I reckon that you could get hit 15 times in Ruby alone, what with the fact you've got to go to Cranberry and back.
Jyn
First Mate of British Sea Power, Midnight Ocean
[Oct 4, 2004 3:46:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
peax

Jyn wrote: 
I think that if you think you can sail that route without getting engaged 15 times, you're wildly optimistic. I solo cutters around Ruby all the time, and I reckon that you could get hit 15 times in Ruby alone, what with the fact you've got to go to Cranberry and back.

I soloed a cutter myself just to check out the route but I was pillaging on the way. I got attacked 4 times and attacked other ships about 5-6 times. Unless you're going REALLY slow, you aren't going to get attacked 15 times..
(-Keats)
[Oct 4, 2004 3:53:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizthegrey
Developer (retired)

I'll try a dry run this weekend, and if anyone else wants to try, we can report results here. Based on those results, maybe peax can decide to up or lower the amount of cane provided.
[Oct 4, 2004 7:14:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    https://plus.google.com/106912596786226524817/posts [Link]  Go to top 
peax

lizthegrey wrote: 
I'll try a dry run this weekend, and if anyone else wants to try, we can report results here. Based on those results, maybe peax can decide to up or lower the amount of cane provided.

Aye, that would be great. I'm going to try to do the same thing this weekend. See how many sugarcane I lose.
(-Keats)
[Oct 4, 2004 7:19:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

If you're going to get attacked 15 times, you're going to lose the race by an enormous margin. I'd say for that run, I'd expect to get attacked about four times, unless the game is laggy that day.
[Oct 4, 2004 5:41:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RobertDonald

It's a Sunday. The game will be incredibly laggy.

Expect the turn about button to not work properly, resulting in even the best getting creamed by brigands repeatedly.
Quizzical wrote: 
If winners and losers are arbitrarily chosen by ringers or OM's, then it is no longer even a game. It's just clicking random buttons hoping to be arbitrarily chosen, which becomes stupid really fast.

[Oct 5, 2004 2:05:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Incidentally, guys, it isnt just getting attacked 15 times - its *losing* fifteen times. And people usually win 70% of battles. So you'd actually have to get into 50 battles.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Oct 5, 2004 12:37:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Quizzical

If you think you're going to lose a bunch of battles, then take 150 cane instead of only 50, or buy some dockside along the way.
[Oct 5, 2004 12:52:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 111   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates