• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 56
Posts: 56   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 24925 times and has 55 replies Next Thread
Franklincain

Re: Y!PP Ship Sort Tool Reply to this Post

Updated my last post on this thread:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=116665&offset=0#2191301

Basically, found a way to upload my version to the Wiki.
----------------------------------------
Franklin W. Cain (Pirate FranklinCain on Meridian and other Oceans)
[Jun 28, 2010 10:56:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wheebiscuit

GC - I had the same problem. After doing some searching on Google for the first error, I figured out what to do to fix it in Office 2000. That's the good news. The bad news is, I have no idea what I did. But, if you PM me and email address, or want me to cut / paste a text copy of the revised macro I use into a PM to you, let me know. The revision works fine in 2000. I am sorry I don't remember what I did. Old age...

Aarghbird
Aarghbird of Cerlulean
Monarch of Mixed Nuts
Captain of Rum by Gum
Chief Mixed-Up-Nut

Avatar by the arrrsome Billshakes
[Jun 30, 2010 11:52:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagacious

Any way to make it work for more than 1000 vessels? My crew has nearly 2000.
Cerulean & Meridian - Icemeister
Emerald & Obsidian - incognito!
#TeamPurple
[Aug 5, 2010 3:15:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Siggy

Sure...

I'll have an update posted later this day with the new LE ships and the junk...
Sig

Owner: Sig Supply Network

What happens when you beat whiny sword fighters with overpowered trash swords...

Imcolorblind auto-responds, "sig hacks sf :) try and see".

[Aug 5, 2010 4:00:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JPINFV [Link]  Go to top 
Belthazar451

On the "Calc. - Types" worksheet, select the last row, grab the little black "Fill" box in the bottom right corner and drag down, however far you like. Do the same for the "Other Calc." worksheet, making sure you end at the same row number. Then on the "Totals" worksheet, change the summation range for each of the totals cells to end at the last row number you dragged down to before.

That is, if you dragged down to row 2000, you need to change the formula in cell B4 - =SUM('Calc. - Types'!B2:B1000) - by turning the 1000 into a 2000. Do the same for the other totals.

Lastly (and this is the tricky one) open the macro - in Excel 2007, you can find it by going to the "View" panel, clicking "Macros" and selecting "View Macros" (I couldn't honestly say anything about any of the other recent versions on Excel since Microsoft got stupid about user interfaces, but in older versions you'll find it in one of the menus. Select "Puzzle_Pirate_Ship_Log" in the list (it should be the only item) and press "Edit". Find the line that says "Range("A2:A1000").Select" down near the bottom, and change the 1000 to the same row total you set before. Don't touch anything else in the macro... unless you want to try adding the Junk as well. =)

If you do want to add the Junk, find the line that mentions the Xebec, and add
    Cells.Replace What:="junk", Replacement:="Junk", LookAt:=xlPart, _
SearchOrder:=xlByRows, MatchCase:=False, SearchFormat:=False, _
ReplaceFormat:=False
underneath. Then go to the "Calc. - Types" worksheet, and type "Junk?" into cell M1, and =IF('List of Ships'!B2="Junk",1,0) into cell M2. Select that cell and drag the "Fill" box down to the row you went to before. Go to the "Totals" cell and insert a row above the "Grand Totals" row - write Junk in the left-hand cell and =SUM('Calc. - Types'!M2:M1000) in the right hand cell.

Whew. If you've already pasted your data in, you'll have to do it again to get the Junks to appear properly, because the macro don't work on already-processed data.

Enjoy. I assume Franklincain will at some point post an update with the Junk already included if this is too complicated, or you're too worried about breaking something. =)

Edit: Yeah, that post took so long to write, it's only natural I'd be ninja-posted...
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Belthazar451 at Aug 5, 2010 4:03:53 PM]
[Aug 5, 2010 4:02:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Siggy

Quick note, anyone who wants to take what I've done and add to it is free to do so, however I'm only going to update and fix problems with my macro.

Version 1.5

http://www.mediafire.com/?e6kwwhdrbape1w4

Added the junk. I put the number for the number sort on the junk between the baghlah and merchant brig. If people would like it somewhere else, I'm definitely open to moving it.

Increased the number of ships that can be used. The line that needs to be changed in the macro is " Range("A3:A9000").Select" and change the second number (currently A9000) to a higher number while keeping the "A." This should support 8997 ships.

Again, if anyone gets a " vesselSubclass=____" line, please copy it in here, I don't have all of the subclasses in and sometimes the coding uses strange names (i.e. Emerald subclass is coded as "celtic")
Sig

What happens when you beat whiny sword fighters with overpowered trash swords...

[Aug 5, 2010 4:51:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JPINFV [Link]  Go to top 
Zzyzx7

Hoys all!

So, I hate to be that guy who can't rtfm and can't get the damn thing to work, and you have to walk him thru every step til he goes, oh yeah, that works, why didn't you just say so, but, well, i'm that guy....

So, I can't get the damn thing to work.

I've read a bunch, but not all of the posts, and I've copied the data into the spreadsheet, but when I click "Sort my Ships!" I get an error message saying:

A Scripting Framework error occurred while running the Basic script vnd.sun.star.script:Standard.Puzzle_Pirate_Ship_Log?
language=Basic&location=document.

library: 'Standard'
module" ;Puzzle _Pirate_Ship_Log'
method: "

Okay, that means nothing to me except I'm screwed, walk the plank, no ship sort tool fer you!

Only thing I can think to add is that I'm using Open Offece. I downloaded from what I think is the most recent downlad, version 1.5.

Thanks if you can help.
Barabajagal on the Midnight Ocean - Heartsmafia everywhere else
Captain of Island Raiders
[Nov 23, 2010 2:05:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Wheebiscuit

Simple question: What release of Microsoft Excel are you trying to use? The older versions can't handle some of the macro coding that was used. Let us know. I had to fix my copy so it would run with Excel 2000.

~ Aarghbird
Aarghbird of Cerlulean
Monarch of Mixed Nuts
Captain of Rum by Gum
Chief Mixed-Up-Nut

[Nov 23, 2010 12:55:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zzyzx7

Perhaps this is the problm.... I'm not using Microsoft Excel, I'm using Open Office Calc. It's supposed to be compatible, but... I've never had any problems before, but I don't use it all that much.

To clarify a little bit...

I was able to import the data I copied from the Where are My Vessels page, and my spreadsheet looks like the screenshot from the original post here. But when I click Sort My Ships!, I get the error message.
[Nov 23, 2010 1:07:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

Only thing I can think to add is that I'm using Open Offece. I downloaded from what I think is the most recent downlad, version 1.5.

I am also using OpenOffice Calc. I have version 3.2 of Calc and version 1.5 of the Ship Sort Tool. For me, clicking the button does apparently nothing. I have trouble with the pasting, however. When I paste the list, it all goes into Column A and each cell shows stuff like:

[vesselName=Absent Catfish, vesselClass=baghlah, vesselSubclass=null, inPort=true, islandName=Amity Island, isLocked=false, isBattleReady=false, vesselId=1450394]

So obviously it's not gonna sort correctly if it can't paste correctly.

Okay, so that is how it's supposed to paste. But the macro doesn't run correctly, and I don't know how to debug stuff on OpenOffice.
Retired as of August 2015.
Sic transit gloria mundi.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Nov 23, 2010 1:50:47 PM]
[Nov 23, 2010 1:13:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Wheebiscuit

Sorry, I missed the reference to Open Office in the earlier post. I tried pasting some data into a clean worksheet to see if it would go, and it won't paste for me, so I can't test my version of the macro in Open Office. What did you do to get it to paste? I get a Cannot Paste error.

Aarghbird
Aarghbird of Cerlulean
Monarch of Mixed Nuts
Captain of Rum by Gum
Chief Mixed-Up-Nut

[Nov 23, 2010 2:16:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zzyzx7

I got a paste error at first too. Then I right-clicked the cell and chose "Paste Special" and then Unformatted text.

What I got is this:

[vesselName=Disgusting Hagfish, vesselClass=smsloop, vesselSubclass=null, inPort=true, islandName=Turtle Island, isLocked=false, isBattleReady=true, vesselId=1431498]
[vesselName=Hard-Headed Tuna, vesselClass=smsloop, vesselSubclass=null, inPort=true, islandName=Epsilon Island, isLocked=false, isBattleReady=false, vesselId=1459797]
[vesselName=Hard-Working Sawfish, vesselClass=lgsloop, vesselSubclass=null, inPort=true, islandName=Papaya Island, isLocked=false, isBattleReady=false, vesselId=1466797]
[vesselName=Heartless Hake, vesselClass=smsloop, vesselSubclass=null, inPort=true, islandName=Papaya Island, isLocked=false, isBattleReady=false, vesselId=1464815]
[vesselName=Large Gurnard, vesselClass=smsloop, vesselSubclass=null, inPort=true, islandName=Oyster Island, isLocked=false, isBattleReady=false, vesselId=1464816]
[vesselName=Moral Bluegill, vesselClass=smsloop, vesselSubclass=null, inPort=true, islandName=Cnossos Island, isLocked=false, isBattleReady=false, vesselId=1445290]
[vesselName=Simple Hagfish, vesselClass=smsloop, vesselSubclass=null, inPort=true, islandName=Alpha Island, isLocked=false, isBattleReady=false, vesselId=1470234]

All of it is text in the one cell that i right-clicked.

Clicking Sort My Ships then gives me the error message I posted above
[Nov 23, 2010 2:59:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Zzyzx7

I just ran the tool on a friend's computer using Excel with the same data and of course it worked.

So it would seem that OpenOffice doesn't have the capability to run the same sorting procedure that Excel does.

Also, I sorted a ship list on the computer running Excel, and then copied that to the computer running OpenOffice. Though it displayed the data, the individual sorting buttons on each column (to sort by ship name, or class or island etc.) weren't functional.

Oh well. I guess I can import data periodically to my friend's computer (it's a work computer that won't allow me to run PP), but I'd still love to know if I can make my OpenOffice copy functional.

Edit:
Actually, I've found that much of the column sorting and filtering capabilities exist in the OpenOffice document. So -- I've used a computer with Excel to automatically sort the data captured from the Where Are My Vessels? page, and saved as an .ods file which OpenOffice can read and manipulate. Harr!!

Though the ability to sort the data captured from the Where Are my Vessels page is one of the main benefits of the Tool, if you had no way of implementing that you could still use this spreadsheet with OpenOffice to sort and filter data you mnually entered.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Zzyzx7 at Nov 23, 2010 4:55:47 PM]
[Nov 23, 2010 4:11:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

I had to enable macros first by selecting "Tools -> Options -> Openoffice.org -> Security -> Macro Security..." and changing it from "High" to "Medium" which means to ask for confirmation before running un-signed macros.

I did the Paste Special thing and it worked.

Then I clicked the button and I got an error: "BASIC runtime error. '423' TextToColumns."

Line 423 is as follows:

Selection.TextToColumns Destination:=Range("A3"), DataType:=xlDelimited, _
TextQualifier:=xlDoubleQuote, ConsecutiveDelimiter:=False, Tab:=True, _
Semicolon:=False, Comma:=True, Space:=False, Other:=False, FieldInfo _
:=Array(Array(1, 1), Array(2, 1), Array(3, 1), Array(4, 1), Array(5, 1), Array(6, 1), Array(7, 1)), _
TrailingMinusNumbers:=True"

This article says that OO 2.4 will have a "Text to columns" feature, but it speaks of a menu item - hopefully this will also be provided as a macro function as we see here. So the answer may be, to wait for the next version to be pushed. However, don't forget that OpenOffice has forked, and all the people who matter have jumped ship to the LibreOffice project (due to the need to liberate OO.org from the clutches of Oracle, who is rapidly quashing everything that used to be open and free.)
[Edit 3 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at Nov 23, 2010 9:40:19 PM]
[Nov 23, 2010 9:35:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Siggy

Just a quick note so people don't think I've abandoned the tool while I'm on a school related hiatus (however Christmas break starts a week from this upcoming Friday!).

I neither use nor am familiar with Open Office, so unfortunately I can't provide any assistance. If someone wants to adjust my code to go and either make their own or make an Open Office compatible copy, feel free to do so.
Sig

[Dec 6, 2010 9:01:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JPINFV [Link]  Go to top 
Kingkillers

Got few new ship classes that haven't been updated.

vesselSubclass=harvest Harvest Class Sloop

vesselSubclass=phantom Phantom Class Sloop

vesselSubclass=gingerbread Gingerbread Class War Brig
Kingkillers on Midnight Cerulean
Officer of Empty Planet
Member of Universe A

Kingkillers on Viridian Meridian
[Dec 10, 2010 8:30:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

The newest version of my edition of this spreadsheet has (finally) been posted online. Due to problems I'm having with YPPedia, I've had to upload it to Google Documents--err, my Tripod page. (We're gonna pretend that Google Docs thing didn't happen, OK?...*hides smoldering hard drive*)

You can download the file from here:
http://fcain.tripod.com/ypp/index.html

This latest version can handle up to 9,998 (i.e. just under 10k) ships, of all types released to date (including the Junk and the Fanchuan). The various sub-classes will be identified individually, but are still counted as being of their "primary" class, for purposes of totals.

Enjoy! ;-)
Franklin
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Franklincain at May 1, 2012 10:08:15 AM]
[Apr 28, 2012 10:39:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aeternis

does this work with open office?
Locu on Cerulean and Opal (and some other Oceans)

Check the Rack at Phakey's Tailor Stall on Tinga for nice clothes!
Locu's Weaving Stall on Tinga and Cranberry

[Apr 28, 2012 10:45:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

I have no idea; I've never used Open Office.

Since I'm using multiple "tabs" (worksheets) within the spreadsheet, that may be a deal-breaker for Open Office, depending on whether or not they ever added that ability.
[Apr 28, 2012 10:50:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Update...
Saved a copy of this spreadsheet in Open Document format (as an experiment)...
When I opened the Open Doc version, the macro (i.e. the whole reason for this spreadsheet in the first place) was gone!

So, nope, I don't think this will work with Open Office. :-P
Sorry...
[May 9, 2012 10:42:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LJAmethyst

The macro is there when I opened your original file in LibreOffice.

It just didn't seem to run at all. There was initially a permissions problem, and when I was sure I granted all permissions necessary, there was just no result at all from the run. I am not aware of any debugging mode that I could use to give you more information about this.

EDIT: Aha, here we go: the macro code will never be compatible. Sorry.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by LJAmethyst at May 9, 2012 1:57:29 PM]
[May 9, 2012 1:56:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.newadvent.org/bible/jon001.htm [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Ahoy! ;-)
The newest version of my edition of this spreadsheet has been posted online. You can download the file from here:

http://fcain.tripod.com/ypp/index.html

This latest version includes provisions for "salvageable" ships (i.e.: ships which have sunk and can be rebuilt).

Furthermore, for those of you not using MS Excel, I've also uploaded a plain-text file containing the latest version of the logic code for the macro. You can read this text file from the same link posted above.

Now let's get to pillaging! :-D

Enjoy! ;-)
Franklin

(Edit): Per a suggestion I'd received, I took another look at the code, and finally figured out how to combine the two columns for "Locked" and "Battle-Ready" into just one column. This edit will be included into the next version I post. ~Franklin
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Franklincain at Aug 13, 2013 1:36:23 PM]
[Aug 13, 2013 9:06:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squishat

Hurray!

Edit: not sure if it is just me, but your site is down for me D:

It was working for me earlier.

I'll keep trouble-shooting on my end.

Update: Works just fine now.
Hellogoodbye says, "Squishat - Pro rock sinker."
on Emerald

===
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Squishat at Aug 21, 2013 12:37:26 AM]
[Aug 13, 2013 5:26:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squishat

Apologies for double posting in advance, but it seems that the latest version has macros disabled or something, and try as I might following the instructions to change macro settings in excel , it will still give me the same error message.

This did not happen with the previous version, and I am pretty sure that I did not change the settings on it.

Could you perhaps look into it?

Cheers.
Hellogoodbye says, "Squishat - Pro rock sinker."
on Emerald

===
[Aug 21, 2013 12:55:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

It worked fine for me. But just in case, I re-uploaded it. Could you try again, please?

Also, I've put all the info into the Yppedia here. ;-)

Franklin
[Aug 21, 2013 8:20:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Franklincain

Newest version (uploaded today!) now includes subtotals for "standard" ships versus non-standard ships (as a collective whole).

Question for those who use this spreadsheet: For the "Totals by Island" feature, would you want me to include the Ice Ocean? Right now, I've just got the three main (English-speaking) Oceans -- Cerulean, Emerald, and Meridian. Just wondering...

Thanks,
Franklin
[Sep 3, 2013 5:12:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 56   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates