• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 47
Posts: 47   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 35836 times and has 46 replies Next Thread
ArgleBargle

Puzzle Pirates Activity Tracker Reply to this Post

The creator of the Ultimate Info Tracker (me), is proud to present his (my) newest creation. The Puzzle Pirates Activity Tracker! This handy little application tracks the hourly number of players on each ocean and then allows you to view this data in the form of a line chart, rolled up to various time periods. As of now it is still somewhat in the early phases, any suggestions are very welcome. I have tested it in IE6, IE7, Opera, Firefox and Google Chrome. If you find any bugs please let me know. All times are in server time (PST/PDT).

Thanks goes out to Fiddler for coming to me with the idea.

Keep an eye out for version 2, hopefully with a pretty interface (still working on getting that slacker llama to design one :P).

(Wasn't entirely sure where to post this. Moderators, if there is a more appropriate place, feel free to move it.)
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ArgleBargle at Nov 9, 2008 11:30:52 AM]
[Nov 9, 2008 11:29:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Skunkbeard9

Re: Puzzle Pirates Activity Tracker Reply to this Post

two suggestions:

1.make the bars and stuff the color of the ocean

2. make a grid so you can tell what time is with what part on the lines
Yarrby of Cobalt
The Former King of Cobalt

Retired, Missing in Action, or Dead. Whatever you wish.
[Nov 9, 2008 11:43:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    yarrby@ymail.com [Link]  Go to top 
Johng2

It's not working for me on firefox.
1001 Ways To Annoy People in Walmart!

If you clicked on that, send me a PM.

Johng @ Sage
[Nov 9, 2008 11:44:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.freewebs.com/frankandelvisrock/ [Link]  Go to top 
ArgleBargle

It should work with firefox, are you by any chance running noscript? It does use javascript.
[Nov 9, 2008 12:51:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vnork

Very nice tool. Perhaps you might want to default to "average" instead of "maximum", but that's just my personal preference.

I only wish there was more historical data, I wonder if anyone's compiled some from before.

-Vnork
[Nov 9, 2008 1:16:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ikolenovic

I have the same Problem up for my Firefox Also, but it sounds like a Great Job and would be of some Use, Thank ye Mate.

I've also tried running it Javascript, I Guess im going to IE for the First time in my Life and going to Run it.
Foegasm on Viridian

Foegasm: I was at School today and I opened my Crayola Box and found a Color Cronus and I was like Totally "What The.." and My Teacher Yelled At ME!

Cronus: /e Hangs his Head in Shame.

[Nov 9, 2008 2:08:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    I Get No Girls [Link]  Go to top 
elbeejay

It's working for me on Firefox.. I like the program, and it should help for scheduling large ship pillages ect. because now you know when the ocean peaks in activity.
-Elbee on Hunter, Sage, Viridian, and Malachite
[Nov 9, 2008 2:39:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lesleywalker

Awesome! As a self-confessed information junkie, I've been wishing I had the time and know-how to set up something like this myself. (And it works for me in Firefox 3.0.3 under Ubuntu Linux)

One small point, I don't know if this depends on the time within the hour, but for me currently, the most recent reading for all oceans is 0, which makes it look as though everything has suddenly stopped working (I'm pretty sure it hasn't...) Would it be possible leave out that final reading if it hasn't been calculated yet?
Rumbletum - FO, Crimson Sabers, Colbalt
Cheery - Alchemist, Ankh-Morpork City Watch, Cobalt
Jinxed Idol links
[Nov 9, 2008 4:23:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

Firefox 3.0.3 on Windows XP, working fine for me.

Making the colors match the oceans would be nice as long as they're still easy enough to distinguish, but I'm fine with using distinct colors as long as there's a key available.
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Nov 9, 2008 4:59:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
basso

I'd like to add my thanks for the Ult tracker thingy, and I'll test this one out too.
Montage of Sage
Mads wrote: 
OK, now I'm convinced. The problem here is that you cannot understand plain English.

[Nov 9, 2008 5:17:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
B_licker

Using Firefox 2.0, I get an error message:

Warning: Error in parsing value for property 'display'. Declaration dropped.
Source File: http://www.glowie.com/~onyx/PPAT/PPAT.php
Line: 0
[Nov 9, 2008 6:48:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ArgleBargle

One small point, I don't know if this depends on the time within the hour, but for me currently, the most recent reading for all oceans is 0, which makes it look as though everything has suddenly stopped working (I'm pretty sure it hasn't...) Would it be possible leave out that final reading if it hasn't been calculated yet?

Good point on this, it's on my list of things to fix. The reading is taken at 15 and 45 minutes after the hour, so the first 15 minutes it shows 0. That is one of the first things I'm going to fix. As for the colors, all of the oceans are shades of blue or green, so distinguishing would be a bit tough. Might play around more with the colors, right now they're just auto-generated.

As for firefox, I did only test with 3 it seems, I'll have to download 2 and fix it, I'm sure it's something minor.

EDIT: A few minor tweaks, should be working fine in Firefox 2 now.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ArgleBargle at Nov 9, 2008 8:14:50 PM]
[Nov 9, 2008 7:54:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yaypuzzlez

Nice tool. Also, might wanna add Malachite to the Ult tracker
I am Capberry | Rumbleboy.

Retired.
[Nov 9, 2008 10:03:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tassdrummer

Very nice, I find the info very useful and well presented.

I have to note two minor details in my opinion:
a) Choice of colors in the graph: This has been brought up by others in this thread; indeed when you look at all the oceans you kinda get confused. Maybe if you tweak the width of the lines to be a little thicker it will look better.

b) I honestly think that, given the fact that YPP hasn't been around for more than 4-5 years, a period of 10 years is kind of useless for now. Plus, I see that there are no data for more than a year back.

Other than that, I think you made a good job. :)
Tassdrummer

"Without music I would have to get a life...But without an audience I would have to get a job!" - Neil Peart
[Nov 10, 2008 9:58:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ArgleBargle

I just updated the site with a new option. There is now a selection for chart type. In addition to the previously available line chart, there is now also an option for a bar chart. This bar chart is a stacked bar. It basically allows you to see trends in the overall population across oceans while still giving a breakdown of the individual oceans.

As always, drop a post here if you run into any issues.

http://www.glowie.com/~onyx/PPAT
[Sep 13, 2009 8:04:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vnork

I just updated the site with a new option. There is now a selection for chart type. In addition to the previously available line chart, there is now also an option for a bar chart. This bar chart is a stacked bar. It basically allows you to see trends in the overall population across oceans while still giving a breakdown of the individual oceans.

The bar chart is quite useful, for sure.

Something that I find myself wishing for when I use the tracker is an hour-incremented x-axis graph that shows the last 2-7 days or so. I think it would be easier to see patterns this way. But, I'm not sure if anyone else would appreciate that other than me, so certainly it should be very low on your list of priorities.
[Sep 14, 2009 10:58:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ArgleBargle

The bar chart is quite useful, for sure.

Something that I find myself wishing for when I use the tracker is an hour-incremented x-axis graph that shows the last 2-7 days or so. I think it would be easier to see patterns this way. But, I'm not sure if anyone else would appreciate that other than me, so certainly it should be very low on your list of priorities.

Do you basically mean the initial display, except extended out for multiple days?
[Sep 14, 2009 12:56:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
vnork

Do you basically mean the initial display, except extended out for multiple days?

Exactly!
[Sep 14, 2009 1:12:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ArgleBargle

Exactly!

One thing I have planned at some point is kind of an "advanced" view. Which would basically let you select the timeframe and the interval to use. That would accomplish what you're looking for. No promises of when that will be done, but I'm hoping soonish :)
[Sep 14, 2009 2:56:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ArgleBargle

Just a quick update. There had been some server issues over the past few days. Everything should be fixed now, so this should be up and running as normal. I appologize for the outage.
[Apr 15, 2010 11:13:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

I'd just like to say thanks so much for both this and the ult tracker!

(Mind you, I'm not good enough to worry about the ult tracker often, but I still think it is cool. ;-)
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Apr 15, 2010 12:02:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ArgleBargle

Just a heads up. There are some ongoing server upgrades, this site will be back in action shortly.

Same goes for the Ult Info site.
[Jan 5, 2011 10:55:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

*bump*

glowie.com seem to be down. I last checked it a few weeks ago, and it was fine... does anyone know how long it has been down and if/when it going to be up again?

As I said above, I really appreciate this site.
Algol can not assert the truth of all statements in this post and still be consistent.
[Aug 15, 2012 11:24:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
plopgeit

*bump*

glowie.com seem to be down. I last checked it a few weeks ago, and it was fine... does anyone know how long it has been down and if/when it going to be up again?

I noticed it was down yesterday (14th) around 2 AM. I can't say whether it was earlier, but I believe it did work last Sunday.
Enteraname of Sage.
Senior Officer of Poseidon's Tricorne.
Now available in recorded version.
[Aug 15, 2012 11:39:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xanther4

*bump*

I was on it this weekend and it was online. 8/11-8/12 but as of 8/16 it still appears to be malfunctioning.

I really love this site as well.
Wipley of Emerald
Darkfaery's Avatar Goodness

Making the forums awkward and the game more stupid since 2008.

Anything
[Aug 16, 2012 6:51:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xanther4

*bump*

I was on it this weekend and it was online. 8/11-8/12 but as of 8/16 it still appears to be malfunctioning.

I really love this site as well.

Page is now back up. If the site host has the ability to add Patching to the list it'd be nice.
Wipley of Emerald
Darkfaery's Avatar Goodness

Making the forums awkward and the game more stupid since 2008.

Anything
[Aug 20, 2012 12:44:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ArgleBargle

Hi guys, sorry for the delay here. The downtime a few months ago was due to some sort of DNS problem. There was also a slight lapse about a week or two ago for an OS upgrade. I seem to have neglected updating everyone here.

I will try to be a bit better in keeping an eye on this thread. Unfortunately, even though I've had it on my "watch" list since the day I posted it, the feature seems to have stopped notifying me back in 2009.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ArgleBargle at Nov 26, 2012 4:57:45 PM]
[Nov 26, 2012 4:56:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fkjofsd

Bump!
The image (graph) doesn't load anymore D:
[Sep 9, 2014 9:07:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wrs1864b

Bump!
The image (graph) doesn't load anymore D:

It isn't working for me either... :-<
[Sep 10, 2014 4:01:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaien2

A fine addition to my YPP toolset
[Sep 10, 2014 11:05:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 47   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates