• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 25
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 3552 times and has 24 replies Next Thread
LeJerque

The Race for the Ruined Ring: Finale/Endnotes Reply to this Post

There was something different about the sunrise. Its arrival seemed late, but in an almost purposeful manner. The sun had been waiting, hiding just beneath the horizon for its audience to properly assemble... and once they were all ready to receive it, the glowing orb had gently climbed into the sky, bathing the sea with colorful splendor. Its warmth was reminiscient of a lover's embrace after an age of solitude, wrapping everyone it touched in a relaxing caress, letting them know that regardless of what the day might bring, they would not face it alone.

Indeed, even the sun seemed to be in a celebratory mood. No torch, lamp, or fireplace could ever hope to match the effects of sunlight on a clear day for making the ocean sparkle. A pair of wistful eyes fluttered gently above a contented smile, and their owner sighed in quiet reflection. Truly, the sun had a way of making the sea look renewed; pristine and untouched like a virgin snow. As much as the waters glittered around the narrow sloop, however, their beauty was no match for what was sitting on the deck. A special beam of light had been reserved just for the captain's prize, sparkling and dancing around every glimmering part of its surface. Booty, mused the new owner, had a way of hiding its true magnificence until you had fought long and hard to earn it.

A brightly chuckling voice emerged from below the deck as a second sailor climbed onto the bridge to greet the morning. "Ye couldn't wait, could ye, cap'n? Can't say as I blame ye terribly."

The captain smiled back with a nod and a sigh. "Many a treasure I've pillaged in my time, lass. It's not every day, though, that I get the chance to enjoy the private hoard of a living legend. I believe I've earned this indulgence."

"Aye aye, cap'n Pierut. By all means, don't let me stop ye."

Pierut grinned to Jacquilynne, tossing her silver hair away from her face and looking down greedily at the contents of her bronze chalice, the surface of the liquid glittering like a thousand diamonds in the bright sunlight. She inhaled deeply, holding her breath for a heartbeat's time as she drank, letting the beverage swirl around her tongue and slide behind her teeth before finally swallowing it with a loud, satisfied sigh. "Gallopin' guns, but this 'grill' stuff ain't half bad after all."

"Save me a ration, cap'n!" giggled Jacquilynne, nudging insistently at Pierut's shoulder. "No fair keepin' the whole treasure fer yerself."

"Bah!" scoffed Pierut, folding her arms. "I be the cap'n, an' as such I'm allowed to be the thirstiest. Tell ye what, lass, I'll trade ye a lovely emerald fer the rest."

"Another?" whined the sailor, wrinkling her nose. "We've too many o' those as it is. I still say ye should have kept more o' the rubies. Which reminds me, did ye ever get the final count on those?"

"Ask Mr. Garf, he be in charge o' them." Jacquilynne crossed the short distance to the hold, and knocked sharply at the entrance. "Oi! Wake up down there, ye lazy Looterati! Cap'n Pierut wants to see the manifest."

Garf's head poked out of the hatch like a prairie dog from its burrow, looking back and forth once before spotting the captain of the Cirrhotic Liverfish. "I'm nearly done countin' it, lass. Wait a little longer, will ye?"

"Ye're still at it?" marvelled Pierut, quirking an eyebrow. "There must be more loot than I thought. Well, it be time fer rations, lad. Leave off fer now an' come up on deck."

Garf fidgeted, pursing his lips hesitantly. "Er... can't I just work a bit more on it?"

"Do ye want me to report back to Spinn that ye're disobeyin' orders?" smirked Pierut. "I'll not have my sailors bein' inadequately drunk. Now come up here and have some rum!"

"Oh, if I have to," moaned Garf, grumbling and climbing out of the hold.

"There's a good lad," smiled Pierut. "Now, where's Mr. LeJerque?"

"Sleepin', I think," shrugged Jacquilynne. "Shall I fetch him out?"

"Aye, please do," nodded Pierut. She blinked, suddenly, turning her head towards an odd, faint sound, like a tooth rattling inside an empty bottle. She squinted slightly, turning to see Garf slowly walking in her direction. "Mr. Garf? What is that jingling noise?"

Garf froze, stopping in his tracks, still several feet away from Pierut. "Nothin', miss Pierut!"

Pierut glared, folding her arms sternly. "Turn out yer pockets this instant before I stab ye and then put fire in the wound." Garf shivered slightly, and reluctantly reached into his pants pocket, emptying several colorful jewels onto the deck. "Ye thievin' blaggard!"

"I were just countin' em, that's all!" protested Garf, holding his hands up defensively. "I just... ye know... I had to measure their weight!"

"Put those jewels back this instant," Pierut demanded with a growl. "Ye're here to make sure we don't disappear with our share o' the jewels before we gets back to Locum!" She narrowed her eyes, grimacing threateningly at the recoiling sailor. "Nothin' were said about whether or not ye had to make it there intact."

Garf opened his mouth to deliver another stammering reply, but he gratefully remained silent as Jacquilynne re-emerged onto the deck. "Cap'n Pierut, I can't wake him up!"

Pierut sighed heavily, covering her eyes. "Did ye try kickin' him?"

"Aye! He just rolled over, mumbled somethin' about grog, an' belched at me. It smelled like tar."

"Scupper all," grumbled Pierut, stalking towards the crew quarters and rolling up her sleeves. "I'll wake him meself. Is this how things are done on the Vodka Jellyfish?"

-----

"This is not how things are done on the Vodka Jellyfish!" Aiziril growled, his fists tense and clenched at his sides. "When I ask ye to take a sail, lad, I expect ye to do it!"

Hermes pouted, sulking in the crow's nest. "But I wants to be the lookout. I can see the treasure better from here, an' I'm supposed to be keepin' an eye on it anyways! Cap'n Pierut said--"

"Pierut said ye were to do as I told ye, Mr. Hermes! I were there when she said it!"

"Well, I bet she didn't know ye're not any fun."

"What was that?!" bellowed Aiziril, his face reddening as he glared up at the tiny basket above the deck.

"Mr. Aiziril," Vainra piped up, "I can take the sails if it'll be helpful."

"Nay, lass," breathed the black-clad captain. "Keep countin' the booty with Miss Artemis. I want to have the total by the time we get to the Ice Shards."

"I can take care o' this, cap'n," hummed Artemis melodically. "Let her keep guardin' us, or whatever it is she's supposed to be doin'."

"She's here in good faith," Aiziril reminded the blonde sailor. "Don't ye recall? We split all the jewels up, Spinn, Pierut an' I. Me, I think I picked the right one, but we can't know for sure until we let Julius the Orange have a look at 'em."

"Good faith, nothin'," snickered Artemis, setting down a large diamond. "I saw ye snitch an extra prize for yerself."

Aiziril grinned, shaking his head, glancing backwards to a small table behind the wheel. "I needed somethin' to hold the charts down, lass. I think it's workin' quite nicely." Aiziril squinted for a moment as the sunlight caught the flat surface of the axe-like weapon that rested atop his nautical papers, giving it a deadly gleam. "I'll not walk away from this ridiculous crusade without at least one souvenir."

Vainra frowned, looking hurt. "Ye mean ye didn't split the booty evenly after all? Cap'n Spinn an' Miss Pierut trusted ye."

Aiziril levelled an annoyed look at Vainra, scoffing loudly. "Did ye not see what Spinn took along with him? Believe me, lass, I'm more than entitled to that cleaver."

"Aye! Now, get back to work, Miss Vainra," demanded Hermes, shaking a fist from up above.

"That does it!" snapped Aiziril, placing his hands on the rope ladder which lead to Hermes' sanctuary. "Either ye come down from there, or I'll use this blade to chop down the mast!" He sighed angrily, rubbing his temples in slow circles. "I swear, ye're more trouble than Artemis when Demeter is around."

Artemis looked up with a start, gasping. "What was that?! Arrr, ye backstabber, cap'n Aiziril! Just fer that, I'll not get along anymore with Miss Vainra!"

"Oi! What'd I do?" blinked Vainra confusedly.

"Well... ye failed to compliment me new hat, probably!"

"Ye're wearin' no hat."

"That don't make it any less nice of a hat!"

"I wonder if I could get a bounty fer turnin' in pirates," grumbled Aiziril.

-----

"I wonder if we could have gotten a bounty for turning in Cleaver himself," mused Spinn, tapping his chin as he held the wheel with his other hand, watching the ocean slip by at a steady pace.

"Ye're a greedy one, Mr. Spinn."

Spinn smirked, not bothering to look up from his course. "Mind your tongue, Mr. Righty, when you are a guest on another man's ship. I trust you have finished counting the gemstones?"

"Aye, we looked 'em over right proper," smiled Demeter, standing just behind Righty.

Fronsac stood up from his rag and bucket, rubbing his palms together eagerly. "Don't hold us in suspense, lass! How many have we got?"

Demeter proudly put her hands on her hips. "A lot!"

Righty sniffed, giving Demeter a light shove. "Don't be dense, lass. Mr. Spinn, the total isn't 'a lot.'"

"Then...?"

"It's a bunch!" declared Righty.

"I see," nodded Spinn. "It may not be evident from the absence of laughter, but I am terribly amused. A lot."

"Lighten up, cap'n!" smiled Fronsac, "They're just havin' ye on."

Spinn shrugged mildly, turning his attention back towards the sea. "I will lighten up, Mr. Fronsac, when we have finally claimed our reward. Though I am fairly certain of my selection, our journey does not end until the stone is set in its band once again."

Demeter looked incredulously at the tall man. "Ye're worse than Cap'n Aiziril. Ain't the Marvelous Mackerel prize enough for ye?" She waved her arm out towards the deck of the galleon she and her temporary crew were now commanding. It was easily three times the size of the sloop Spinn had arrived on, and the deck glistened in the sunlight, still damp from the swabbing Fronsac had just completed.

Spinn smiled, his cheeks tightening as he restrained his amusement. "Now, Miss Demeter, that was purely business. I feel certain that when Captain Cleaver regains consciousness, he will find the Shining Wittling to be a perfectly reasonable trade."

Righty rolled his eyes, heading towards the sails. "Pierut was right to have me accompany ye. Ye're a sneak!"

"I am no such thing," sniffed Spinn.

"Ye're a pirate."

"Possibly."

Fronsac watched Demeter follow the other sailor towards the bow, rubbing his nose in silence. He turned around again after several seconds, closing the distance between himself and his captain, speaking in a hushed tone. "Cap'n Spinn?"

"Yes, Mr. Fronsac?"

"Cap'n, what if we haven't got the right jewel after all? Even with those two aboard, couldn't we break away an' sell our share here in Midnight? We'd likely get a better price."

"I imagine we could, indeed," nodded Spinn. "But I made an agreement with Aiziril and Pierut. We all sail it back together, and let the victor claim what is rightfully theirs."

"It's a long sail back to Locum, Cap'n," continued Fronsac. "Do they really trust us to stay with 'em all that way?"

Spinn smirked at Fronsac, chuckling softly. He glanced to port and to starboard, where the Cirrhotic Liverfish and the Vodka Jellyfish cruised alongside his galleon. The long ropes strained at the grappling hooks which continued to keep the three ships tethered together like an enormous trimaran, jointly soaring over the waves in a makeshift armada.

"No, Mr. Fronsac. I dare say they don't trust us very much at all."

"Goodness m--"

THE END

Endnotes

What a strange, emotional, difficult, surprising, and fun half a year it's been.

When I started working on the Race for the Ruined Ring, I didn't just want to outdo my previous event. I wanted to design, create, and run the biggest, grandest, best event that Midnight had ever seen. It was an ambitious goal, and I knew it would probably fall far short of such a title, but to aim for anything less wouldn't have left me satisfied. Now, with another Literary Puzzle done with, I don't know if I managed the best event ever, but I've had the time of my life trying to find out. It was hard work, and running the event was a bigger feat than I could have possibly imagined, but that's because I had more than three times as many participants as I expected. Word of mouth (and promise of parrot) is a powerful thing, it seems. If my stories and puzzles made you smile some time this week, though, it was all worth it. I can't thank you all enough for your hard work, competitive spirits, and your unending supply of kind words. It's this amazing and supportive community that makes Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates what it is, and I don't think this contest could have worked as well anywhere else.

Credit must be given for the various help I've received these past months, for although this often appeared to be a one-man project, the simple truth is that the Race for the Ruined Ring would never have left the docks without the efforts of several invaluable friends. If your name is not mentioned here, please accept my sincere apologies, and know that I thank you for your role. If you are reading this at all, chances are you helped in some way--perhaps without even realizing it--even if just through your readership and/or curiosity.

Credit for all of Day 1's puzzles, with the exception of the HOLD/GROG word puzzles, goes to The Curious Book of Mind-Boggling Teasers, Tricks, Puzzles & Games by Charles Barry Townsend, as well as the mathematical and spatial puzzles from Day 4. This book is well worth the price, is a marvelous source of knowledge, and has provided me with hours upon hours of entertainment through the late hours on Infomercial Isle. The paraphrasing into pirate terms is my own, of course, but the original puzzle structures are owed to this magnificent work.

Credit for Day 4's logic puzzle goes to www.crpuzzles.com, and is based upon "Pickwick House" by Randall L. Whipkey. This site, too, is a tremendous source of puzzling fun, and Mr. Whipkey's puzzles are top-notch. Again, while the metamorphosis into a pirate situation is my own, the puzzle itself is not, and credit must be given.

The shelf puzzle from Day 2 was randomly generated by "Inspector Parker," by Yahoo! Games. Ironic, given the discussion, no? I have, it fact, shelled out the cash for this game, and I would recommend it to any of you. Thanks, too, to The Clash, artists behind "Should I Stay or Should I Go," the tune to which "Should I Dye or Should I Sew" is set.

All other puzzles in this contest have been of my own design, but I credit my primary inspiration to Cliff Johnson, mastermind behind such incredible puzzling adventures such as "The Fool's Errand" and "3 in Three." The Literary Puzzles contest is modeled after his concept of the "meta-puzzle," where several smaller goals push the player towards the overall puzzle and the "final a-ha." Mr. Johnson, though he likely does not know I exist, is both my hero and my arch-nemesis. Mark my words, sir, when your next work comes out, I will be first in line to tackle the challenge. (Yes, I've pre-ordered "The Fool and His Money.")

The time has come now to offer my deepest gratitude to a number of individuals whose moral support has been immeasurably crucial towards the success of this event. There are too many to list here, but there are definitely a few who merit special thanks.

Thank you to my cast: Pierut, Spinn, Aiziril, Garf, Fronsac, Vainra, Righty, Hermes, Jacquilynne, Artemis, Demeter, Lilymorgan, Cobrani, Elie, Crystalclaws, Oneiropoios, Tristesse, and Cleaver. You allowed me to have you run all around like scary people for a full week, in some cases without even knowing I was doing it to you until it was too late. You may not have directly paid for your depictions, but I owe you thanks for the use of your characters nonetheless.

Thank you to my benefactors, including every participant in the casting auction, those of you who agreed to buy singing performances, or just threw pieces of eight at me while I stood there bewildered.

Special thanks to Artemis, whose unmatched support in the form of prizes, management, and encouragement helped to make the contest into the grand affair it became. Without your help, this contest would have remained a logistical nightmare with only POE for prizes and probably only a third of the attention it received. I could not have done this without you.

Thank you to every pirate who attended the live reading at the parrrty. Your eagerness and devotion to the event and especially your cheerful laughter gave me the confidence I needed to move forward with what was still, at the time, a shaky project.

Special thanks to Sanders, whose incredible enthusiasm for the live reading is the primary reason for its success. In addition, your completely baffling dedication has given me a souvenir of that enjoyable night, and something I can treasure for years to come. The live reading would not have worked without you.

Thank you to the Looterati, for providing me with a supportive and enjoyable environment in which I could let my creative side thrive. Without the cameraderie of the Loots, there would have been no Looted Luncheon. Without the tremendous feedback from Looted Luncheon, there would have been no Ruined Ring. There are too many of you Loots to thank specifically, but you know who you are, and I love each and every one of you for your kindness.

Special thanks to Pokey, whose incredible donation of Handsey the Monkey added an entirely new element to Literary Puzzles II. Before Handsey, MONKEY FUN did not exist. It was Pokey's suggestion that there be a special way to win his monkey that inspired entirely half of this event, and he is responsible for what wound up being a wildly unpredictable good time. Without you, this event would have only been half of what it was.

Thank you to my incredible team of critics, editors, and playtesters, including Courtland, Eric, Andrew, Michael, and Mom & Dad. Ruined Ring would have been a sloppy, unpolished mess without you, and I thank you both for your generous feedback and your honesty, which was sorely needed.

The biggest thanks of all must go to Will and Sarah, who read every word, played every puzzle, caught every mistake, laughed at every joke, and are two of the best friends I could ever hope for. Ruined Ring was NOTHING without the two of you, and I love you with all my heart. I wish you nothing but the best in your upcoming marriage, but you hardly need it... I know you'll be deliriously happy for the rest of your lives, and you deserve nothing less. In addition, the two of you are a credit to gemologists everywhere (yeah, I consulted actual gemologists for the last puzzle. What of it?)

And so, my friends, the Race for the Ruined Ring has been run. I've learned a great deal along the way, and I've had more fun than I can possibly put into words. If this contest has been fun for you, or you'd like to offer me any feedback, or maybe just shoot the breeze, invite me to job for your crew, or talk about--gasp!--non-pirate life, I can be reached in-game, or on AIM as LeJerque. If you'd like to leave a longer correspondence, I can still be found at lejerque@san.rr.com for now.

In addition, this is something I intend to stick with. Infomercial Isle may continue to keep me in this lovely San Diego apartment, but I may just have something with this whole writing/puzzling/contest running schtick. If any of you out there would like to offer me gainful employment in this vein, I'm more than available. Send any such inquiries or offers, if I dare to dream, to, again, lejerque@san.rr.com for the near future.

To conclude, I'd like to apologize to the ringers for pulling everyone offline for a week, and for completely ruining pillaging for anyone stuck with pirates now shouting "goodness me" in battle.

May the trade winds be forever at your back.

--J. "LeJerque" Henning

THE SAGA OF THE LOCUM OCEAN WILL CONTINUE IN LEJERQUE'S PIRATICAL LITERARY PUZZLES III
----------------------------------------
I have stolen all the fiber from your mind!

Tune ye in to Shanty Raid-io!
http://shantypp.servemp3.com:6328
[Aug 29, 2004 3:35:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    LeJerque [Link]  Go to top 
Fujiko

Re: The Race for the Ruined Ring: Finale/Endnotes Reply to this Post

Bravo!

Thank you from all of us for an event well done, and a tale well written.
Fujiko on Cerulean.
WTB: Mako ships, penguins, Neerie's prize-winning egg (a card suits one,) more of Greylady's sixth prize-winning eggs (the penguin one.)
[Aug 29, 2004 3:49:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skooshy

Aye, thanks.
The puzzles were well worth the entrance fee as promised!
Although I groaned every time I had to read "locomotion", I found much delight and humor in every one of yer stories. I wonder if "goodness me" will take off as a puzzle piratey phrase.

-no sig
[Aug 29, 2004 4:02:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Indeed

i love you
Dmentia says, "It thrills me when Indeed is mean."
SomeIdiot tells you, "I am muting you, because you're unnormal, maybe you're hurt in real life"
Quoth Rubby, "There's something wrong with your brain."

[Aug 29, 2004 4:11:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.goonbunnies.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

Don't apologize to the Ringers, apoligze to my crew's captain because I haven't been taking the crew pillaging for a while week. >8)

Thank you very much for all of the many efforts you (and every else) put into this.

- Kargach and Saga's Stalwarts
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Aug 29, 2004 4:12:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silvain

Indeed, many thanks. And everyone else, please read http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=170882#170882
- Silvain

[size=8]Avatar by Tristesse - Thank you!
[Aug 29, 2004 4:21:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nuroticfish

LeJerque wrote: 
I wanted to design, create, and run the biggest, grandest, best event that Midnight had ever seen.

I've only been around Midnight for a couple months now, but I'd say you achieved your goal.

Truly, this event has been a gift to the ocean. My team is in agreement this has been the most Y!PP related fun we've had in a long, long time.

Thank you. I anxiously await LPLPIII!

- Nuroticfish, Bag of Cheese for the Wily Widows
[Aug 29, 2004 8:09:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Inspector Parker Reply to this Post

Inspector Parker can be downloaded from Yahoo Games, but it's not BY Yahoo. It be published by Oberon Media, and I be currently beta testing the sequel to it. (hee hee hee) I don't suppose I could bribe ye with a copy of the beta test version of the sequel, can I???? Our team be still stuck on #3 of the rejects....

Kalvana, of Mlik's something or other team
Senior Officer of Red Alert
aka Lordkalvan, Captain of Otherwhen
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Aug 29, 2004 9:38:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fujiko

The coloring puzzle from day 2: there's a Game Boy game (yes, black and white Game Boy) comprised of that sort of puzzle, although not that complicated admittedly, called Mario's Picross. You can find it on Ebay, which is where I got my copy a year ago maybe. Great fun!
Fujiko on Cerulean.
WTB: Mako ships, penguins, Neerie's prize-winning egg (a card suits one,) more of Greylady's sixth prize-winning eggs (the penguin one.)
[Aug 29, 2004 11:33:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Muria

Well done! Reply to this Post

I've really enjoyed reading all the stories for both the Ruined Ring and the Looted Luncheon (which I read a few days before this one started to gear myself up for the ruined ring fun). You definitely have a talent for writing entertaining prose, LeJerque (not to mention a great supporting cast, apparently). Cheers to everyone who made this event great!

Parlia
Waiting for the unscrambling of the last day's puzzle.... and the next LeJerque saga....
[Aug 29, 2004 12:06:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

I liked your depiction of me. Especially the part where nobody played my game.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Aug 29, 2004 12:45:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Very very well done.
[Aug 29, 2004 1:40:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
piratewench1

I had a blast playing. Congrats to all the teams. I only wish I could have played until the end, but I went and got married the day before the event started. Two days driving my new husband crazy with puzzles (on what was supposed to be our honeymoon) wasn't really helping out the new marriage. I still had a great time, though. I went back and read the chapters I had missed and the whole story was great. The puzzles even greater. You did an amazing job Mr. LeJerque and I salute you. Maybe I won't have as much going on when the third installment comes out. I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Gidget
First Mate of Charon's Oarsmen
Pretty Little Princess of The Flag of the Corn
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystal

I keep poking around this forum, thinking "what now? what now?"

Thanks again, LeJerque and Handsey, for a week that was both exhausting and exhilirating.

And, really, next time you design a lightning round, could it be more flash, and less epic feature-length lightning display? *grins* Just give us some mental arithmetic to do in the tavern or something. :D
Crystalclaws of British Sea Power, Midnight Ocean
[Aug 29, 2004 9:12:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

future lightning round question Reply to this Post

aye - next time there be a lightning round, ask em to give ye a proof that Halloween = Christmas. Me students usually get a kick out of that one; tis easy to understand if ye study computer science (hint hint)....

Kalvana
who helped a LOT with the numeric and logic puzzles but wasn't much help to her team on the word puzzles....
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Aug 29, 2004 9:34:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ElSpoom

Thanks for the fun, and I dare say it be the best event I have ever seen run in the Midnight Ocean. Though my team and I couldn't stay through most of it (damned full time night shift job), we had a lot of fun throughout.
- Spoom
[size=10]Captain, Pie Revolution

Diamond: Because I'm lazy.
Katattacksme wrote: 
Crack holds no sway on the human mind like that of YPP.

[Aug 30, 2004 4:22:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://uberm00.net/    SpoomApex    SpoomApex    54460376 [Link]  Go to top 
mantus23

LeJerque wrote: 
Thank you to every pirate who attended the live reading at the parrrty. Your eagerness and devotion to the event and especially your cheerful laughter gave me the confidence I needed to move forward with what was still, at the time, a shaky project.

Special thanks to Sanders, whose incredible enthusiasm for the live reading is the primary reason for its success. In addition, your completely baffling dedication has given me a souvenir of that enjoyable night, and something I can treasure for years to come. The live reading would not have worked without you.

Sanders would like to thank Mr. LeJerque for giving me the oppertiunity to buy real life fun with digital money. I would also like to thank Kuibbles for buying about 15 live reading tickets, after the live reading was over. Shuranthae, LJG, and Jezabella fer patiently waiting while I got -most- of the kinks worked out of the video. And lastly I would like to thank LeJerque, again. Those puzzles were awesome, the story was awesome, the fact that you pulled it off is awesome^3. It is an honor and a privilege to have you on me hearty list.
"The Colonel" Sanders
Blockade Technology Division: Notorious Fandango
Not not not Governor of Endurance or Nu.
Not Spoppy's husband
[Aug 30, 2004 5:41:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pye

I, too, loved this game. I want to praise LeJerque for his writing talent and puzzle ingenuity. I would have loved the story even without the puzzles but!.....what were the solutions to the final puzzles? I wasn't able to be at the award ceremony/lightning/thunder round so if the solutions were given there then those of us who couldn't make it are still clueless. Will the solutions be posted soon?
Pye
Senior Officer and Bilge Rat for the Mad Mutineers
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheCosmicChz

Re: future lightning round question Reply to this Post

tcarr wrote: 
Halloween = Christmas.

I've heard this quite a few times before as the joke: Why do mathmeticians get Halloween and Christmas mixed up.

In fact, it was due to this joke that I got on some pirates a-z list 'cause he remembered me spending hours telling math jokes, riddles, then painstakingly explaining them =P (and arbitrarily trhowing whatever poe I had on hand to people who got them). I was bored, but it was fun =). What was even more amusing was after explaining the joke, in great deal to someone, they threw it at the next poor lass to enter the circle. Then proceeded to explain it in selfsame detail. She caught on faster then he did tho.

Ah memories
--Dcurd :
Not the cap'n of Dcurd's crew
Stick-wielder of questionable sanity-or something
[Aug 30, 2004 5:02:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    NotSoDreadDcurd [Link]  Go to top 
DrunknBfly

I am highly offended that you've never treated *me* to any math jokes, Dcurd.

Seriously, now. What kind of hearty are you?

[size=9]The utterly worthless for math jokes kind!
Pierut of Crimson Tide, formerly Looterati, not dead.

Shinrai tells you, "zomg u r an om i meen loot"

[Aug 30, 2004 7:02:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://magiccheese.pyen.com/    Ravenlarke [Link]  Go to top 
grayskale

What a roaring fun week o' puzzles. Me hat be off to ye LeJerque.

And should and profitable ventures come my way requiring linguistic skills, I'll be sure to forward them along to ye.

-Longears
-Cottontail

Come see the best rack on Cobalt at The Liquor Closet on Kirin (featuring the gaudiest gold outfit possible!... we're not quite Terran Wear yet, but we're working on it:)
[Aug 30, 2004 11:59:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Silvain

So, could one of the teams (or possibly more than one) with perfect scores post all their submission emails? I'm sure I'm not the only one still lacking a few solutions, and even people with perfect scores might want to see other reasonings for why a riddle has this or that solution.
- Silvain

[size=8]Avatar by Tristesse - Thank you!
[Aug 31, 2004 11:21:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

Silvain wrote: 
So, could one of the teams (or possibly more than one) with perfect scores post all their submission emails? I'm sure I'm not the only one still lacking a few solutions, and even people with perfect scores might want to see other reasonings for why a riddle has this or that solution.

Sure, why not! We still have ours on our forum, I'll whip up a new thread forthwith.
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Aug 31, 2004 3:34:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LonesomeCrow

Another chantey for that wild-n-crazy LeJerque. Just popped into the cavernous cranium what sits atop me shoulders.

I'm picking out a cutlass for you.
Not an ordinary cutlass for you.
But the extra best cutlass that you can buy,
With Nettle and stripes, and a blade built right in!
I'm picking out a cutlass for you,
And maybe a big 'ol cutter too,
And what else can I buy so on me you'll rely,
An Octo familiar too.

[size=8]I'm not really picking out a cutlass, or anything else. Sorry LeJ, I hope you're enjoying the "Ruined Ring" sloop though ;)
Tarrna: [Insignificant] Senior Officer - Sinking Feelings

Sergio Aragones wrote: 

[Sep 8, 2004 2:00:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

*applauds* I'm a bit tardy here, but have been pushing back the urge to reply for a while. T'was a wonderful Event and hope you do it again sometime.
[Sep 8, 2004 3:42:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2020 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates